How Much Would It Cost To Build A Small Village House?

rockyysdt

I spent some time recently staying in the home of a rice farmer in north eastern Isaan.

His house was elevated on tall concrete stumps (10 feet) with two bedrooms and family area upstairs with an open raised deck underneath used as a living room. The laundry/shower/toilet under the house at the rear was a separate concrete structure. The kitchen was an open affair under the house with a kneeling bench for food preparation and a wooden shed for storage of food implements.

The house had a timber exterior with corrugated iron roof. The flooring was timber, with a straight staircase at the front.

How much would such a structure cost to build in Isaan?

Just wondering.

We are building a basic rural Thai house like the one you describe. Our budget was 300,000 THB but with the price of everything going up we are now thinking we will have to revise upwards. This price does not include the land or timber as we had our own. If you have to buy wood that is a large portion of the cost. You might want to try and buy an old house or two and use that timber.

A thai in the next village has just built a 2 bedroom bungalow,kitchen, just a sink. and tiled worktop, kitchen living room separated by an archway, tiled roof all rendered blockwork, tiled througout, wood windows, a western toilet bathroom, i could not beleive the cost, he built this for 300 k, he allready had the land. also the bungalow is elevated with a small balcony and steps at the front.

I spent some time recently staying in the home of a rice farmer in north eastern Isaan.

His house was elevated on tall concrete stumps (10 feet) with two bedrooms and family area upstairs with an open raised deck underneath used as a living room. The laundry/shower/toilet under the house at the rear was a separate concrete structure. The kitchen was an open affair under the house with a kneeling bench for food preparation and a wooden shed for storage of food implements.

The house had a timber exterior with corrugated iron roof. The flooring was timber, with a straight staircase at the front.

How much would such a structure cost to build in Isaan?

Just wondering.

The total price, excluding the land, also depends on the kind of wood used in the construction.

Cheapest, say 250,00 baht, most expensive 800,00 baht, have even seen examples with a million+ baht price tag

Mind, it is also depending on who will build the house, where it will be built, and if the knowledge is there about a farang connection, so to say.

One advise, make the walls and roof double skinned.

More expensive, but way cooler in the high summer!

I know, it is normally not done, but I assure you, makes the house much more comfortable!

Edited by hansnl

Here are two photos.The one is of our home the other of the termit home that was included with the price.Almost all of the wood came from a home in Roeit that we bought to tear down for the wood.The price was 300,000thb when the thb was 40-45thb to the US dollar including tearing downthe oldhme andthe trucking of the wood to home site in the Phai mia area. The place is about three years old now.

post-14263-1213559964_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1213559993_thumb.jpg

I think you are going to be disappointed to find out that wood is VERY expensive. It would be cheaper to build a house on a concrete slab. An advantage to being at ground level is that is is also easy to add on in the future.

Sometime back my wife asked me if I was interested in buying the house across the street from us. It is all wood and elevated. She told me they wanted 120,000 baht for it. After I looked closely at it, I told her to go ahead and buy it. She asked what I was going to do with it and where I was going to store the wood. The price was just for the house and NOT the land. Wood is valuable. Needless to say, the house is still for sale.

Here are two photos.The one is of our home the other of the termit home that was included with the price.Almost all of the wood came from a home in Roeit that we bought to tear down for the wood.The price was 300,000thb when the thb was 40-45thb to the US dollar including tearing downthe oldhme andthe trucking of the wood to home site in the Phai mia area. The place is about three years old now.

That's exactly what I want.

I'd be happy with the price tag as well.

When can someone make a start?

I think you are going to be disappointed to find out that wood is VERY expensive. It would be cheaper to build a house on a concrete slab. An advantage to being at ground level is that is is also easy to add on in the future.

I agree Gary, only the location is flood prone being in a rice farmers village.

As Gary A has said wood is VERY expinseve.If you try to buy new wood you will find out it is cost prohibative.The only real way to go is to buy a home for sale to tear down for the wood.That is very comman in Issan.A friend of ours built a nice home out of block and cement.He liked the wood look so he covered part of it with the fake wood boards.His wife was upset that he would not use real wood.He asked her why and she said "because we can not sell fake wood,no one want to buy".The fake wood is cheaper by the way.If you are to paint your wood you could go that route.