What's The Best Honorary Consulate In The U.s. To Get Non O One Year

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the honorary consulates in the U.S., they generally/often seem to be housed in some kind of private businesses, as is the case with Houston.

So, as far as I can tell, Houston for example has no Thai staff involved. All the people I have come across there...from the honorary consul to his assistant to the person who actually handles my paperwork... are all farang. I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case at most of the honorary consulates... They are, after all, HONORARY consulates....

Thus, they're likely going to have a hard time making sense of documents written only in Thai.

What are people's experiences at any of the other honorary consul locations about this????

Indeed. PDX is painless. I got my 1yr non-O in Feb. $100 and 5min is all it took.

On what basis did you apply/qualify for the non-imm O visa issued at Portland????

Others here have reported being denied at various of the U.S. honorary consulates just on the basis of wanting to visit LOS....

My company has an office in bangkok and their lawyer did all the paperwork for me. All the forms that were listed on the requirements are attached, right down to photos of the office and the desks. I am in Ca, so will be going to the Thai Embassy in Los Angeles. I called and spoke with the woman there and she was Thai. I would hate to get there and they cannot read the documents as I fly out 48 hours later.

My company has an office in bangkok and their lawyer did all the paperwork for me. All the forms that were listed on the requirements are attached, right down to photos of the office and the desks. I am in Ca, so will be going to the Thai Embassy in Los Angeles. I called and spoke with the woman there and she was Thai. I would hate to get there and they cannot read the documents as I fly out 48 hours later.

The Los Angeles consulate is not HONORARY... it is a regular, Thai government operation, they certainly have Thai staff there... They also have a very bad reputation about issuing (not issuing) O and B non imm. visas....

Right, some honorary consulates such as Houston have no Thai-reading or Thai-speaking staff. However, Houston has some Spanish speaking staff who like to see your photos of Thailand, and they can read Venezuelan passport stamps and ask for a yellow fever vaccination document.

Yes...Los Angeles consulate will issue tourist visas....if you follow their procedure...

About business visas... if your paperwork is about planning or exploring setting up a business in Thailand...the LA consulate supposedly will not issue a B visa for that....

If your paperwork is documenting you doing some business with a Thai company by invitation or having an existing business in Thailand of which you are the owner/operator and meet all the visa requirements, such as employing Thai nationals....then they probably would issue a B visa...

They also have their own web site.... Just for your information, you can check their web site as it details what things they require for certain kinds of visas... and see if you/your documents meet their criteria...

http://www.thai-la.net/visa/visa-non-im.htm

fyi...in talking with Houston lately, they indicated if you have the appropriate paperwork, they would issue the visa within 1 day... Others have indicated that other honorary consulates will do it while you wait.. assuming you are there... If worse comes to worse...remember...I believe you could fly Southwest from LA to Houston and probably back the same or next day...

Please report back...and let folks know what happens with the L.A. consulate...and on what basis you were applying to them...

The lawyer in Bangkok followed it to a tee. Some of the document sre not applicable. My company is already registered in Thailand and employs thai nationals. I will be going as the Managing Director. I am after the multiple entry, where it is renewed yearly and I can stay for up to 90 days at a time

I can show up to the Thai consulate here in Chicago with marriage certificate and my wife's ID and they still will never give me a one year non-immigrant type O.

I always thought it had something to do with the state you live in. When living in CA you should apply in L.A. etc. Anyway, if this is not the case than I can certainly recommend Portland, OR. Check them out under www.thai-or.com

For her degree I would say that it will be ok as long as she can provide some reference letters from other schools, where she worked before. May be a legal translation of her degree with a stamp from a Thai Consulate might help too. I wouldnt be to concerned as Female Teachers are rather easier to hire.

Good luck

I will 2nd the recommendation of Portland Oregon... It has been several years ago, but I obtained 3 1 year Visa's from them in a row... Always found them to be efficient, friendly and totally cooperative.... Now on Retirement and don't need to worry about it...

Pianoman

Indeed. PDX is painless. I got my 1yr non-O in Feb. $100 and 5min is all it took.

i got an ED and an O issued in dallas with no paperwork.... passport, picture, 300 dollars. 5 minutes. lovely receptionist for a law firm (the honorary consul) takes care of all of that.

it is my assumption that the rigor in this process is when you go for your first 90 day "checkup" at that time, i presented all paperwork, signed annotated, fee-raped by my US consul, copied in triplicate, more pictures, stamp stamp stamp..you get the picture.

so even if you get an easy visa in the states, won't you have to produce the proper paperwork to be scrutinized in Thailand 90 days later?

I had 2 Non-Immigrant Type O visas issued from the Honorary Thai Consulate in Denver, but last year when I needed my 3rd one they balked. I certainly don't meet any of the criteria and never have but they issued them never the less. This time they said, "we are following the rules now" and wouldn't do it.

I called 9 of the 12 other Honorary Consulates in the US and not one would issue me the N/I Type-O; although most would issue a triple entry tourist visa, which with the extensions available here would have given me nearly 9 months.

A friend from Texas couldn't get a N/I Type O from Houston two months ago. He ended up mailing his passport to a friend of his in the UK and got it from Hull without a problem.

Let us know if you have luck getting one, as it'd be good to know the 'soft touch' consulates in the US

The folks in Denver are polite and very helpful, I would be surprised if any consulate would issue 3 Non-O's in successsion, you were very fortunate to get two! I have been dealing with the consulate in Los Angeles for many years on various matters and have generally found them to be very bureaucratic and slow. When I discovered the hon. consulate in Denver it was a breath of fresh air, the girls there were really great.

Just a word of caution - the L.A. consulate may not issue the visa on the same day. When I applied for my O-A visa a while back, I arrived at the consulate in the morning, submitted all the paperwork and was told to return the next morning to pickup the visa. The Thai "receptionist" lady that did the preliminary check of the paperwork had a bit of an attitude, and reminded me of someone who had been working at the DMV for too long. On the other hand, the farang guy that actually processed the paperwork and issued the visa was very pleasant, with a good sense of humor.

I always thought it had something to do with the state you live in. When living in CA you should apply in L.A. etc. Anyway, if this is not the case than I can certainly recommend Portland, OR. Check them out under www.thai-or.com

For her degree I would say that it will be ok as long as she can provide some reference letters from other schools, where she worked before. May be a legal translation of her degree with a stamp from a Thai Consulate might help too. I wouldnt be to concerned as Female Teachers are rather easier to hire.

Good luck

I will 2nd the recommendation of Portland Oregon... It has been several years ago, but I obtained 3 1 year Visa's from them in a row... Always found them to be efficient, friendly and totally cooperative.... Now on Retirement and don't need to worry about it...

Pianoman

Hmm, $100 for a single or multi entry? I know the prices have gone up. The single non O is $65 and the multi is $175 now. I got a non Im O-A from Portland last month, including mailing the "packets" of information, it took less than a week to get my passport back from them. The past two years I went through Los Angeles and they took two weeks to return my passport and they will only issue single entry for some unknown reason.

Dr Dave, you are correct, they told me to bring the paperwork in on Tuesday morning before 11-30am and I can pck up the visa (assuming it is issued) at 10-30am the next day. I go in on the 24th, pick up the visa on the 25th and fly to BKK on the 26th. Just a minor inconvenience, but worth it if it is issued

First off great site, I have been on the email list for awhile but this is my first post. My wife and I are from the U.S. and are planning on moving to Chiangmai in mid-September. Between 2001 and 2004 I spent about two and a half years in LOS and have not been back since 2004, it seems a lot has changed since then.

1. Does anybody know which honorary consulate in the U.S. would be the best to apply for the non O one year visas as I have heard some are better than others?

2. Will they issue most people the one year non O, or do you have to meet any specifics? My wife has a four year degree from a California University in Education and wants to teach in Chiangmai but in the U.S. the 4-year Bachelor's Degree in Liberal Studies (the degree that 90 percent of the teachers in the U.S. are teaching with) does not actually contain the word "education" and as she is finishing school this year she is not "already a teacher in her home country". So rather than go and be turned down under the new educational requirements for teaching she has opted to do a Master's Degree in Education online through a university back in the States. So no help there (at least for a year or two) until she has the word "education" in one of her degrees and can begin teaching. I have a small online store in the States and want to start purchasing a few odds and ends in Thailand for my online store, but again probably no help there.

3. If we can't get the one year what is the longest alternative we can get?

4. We fly out on September 15, so should we apply now for the visas or should we wait until we are closer to the departure date? And how long will it take for our passports to be returned if we have to send them out of state?

Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I had very good luck with the following. I used a visa service.

I dont like to give any consulate the reputation of being easy. I am sure that could make them less agreeable in the future. I will tell u that I am a redsox fan. and the following service is also a fan of the redsox www.abriggs.com/visas/t/thailand_visa.php They give explicit instructions. and their fee is $55 plus the postage and actual visa fees. I have a non imigrant "o" business visa that says multiple without specifying the number of entries. Good for 1 year. I did all of this from the philippines. They only work with u.s. citizens. Everything was as promised. Good luck.

Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like Portland, Houston or possibly Alabama will be our best bet. What should we list as our reason for travel as we are not over 50 and are both US citizens, my wife plans on doing a TEFL course soon after we arrive and we both plan on doing some Thai language courses at some point but we are not planning on booking any of this ahead of time so is it even worth mentioning when applying for our visas. I will try to call the consulates this week to get our applications but will probably wait until the middle or end of August to submit them since we don’t leave until September 15. If we can’t get the non-Os can we still get the double entry tourist visas or will we have to submit new applications. Thank you peaceblondie for the teaching info for my wife I will have her post on the teaching forum as I know she was curious about a few things. I will be sure to report back what happens with the consulates.

Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like Portland, Houston or possibly Alabama will be our best bet. What should we list as our reason for travel as we are not over 50 and are both US citizens, my wife plans on doing a TEFL course soon after we arrive and we both plan on doing some Thai language courses at some point but we are not planning on booking any of this ahead of time so is it even worth mentioning when applying for our visas. I will try to call the consulates this week to get our applications but will probably wait until the middle or end of August to submit them since we don’t leave until September 15. If we can’t get the non-Os can we still get the double entry tourist visas or will we have to submit new applications. Thank you peaceblondie for the teaching info for my wife I will have her post on the teaching forum as I know she was curious about a few things. I will be sure to report back what happens with the consulates.

As has already been mentioned, Consulates in the US will not usually provide service unless you live in the area they are responsible for. There are some exceptions (DC and NYC) and for the others, if you can provide an address in their jurisdiction (a relative) it should work. Some are very strict about this (LA)

Speaking of LA, the farang that works there doesn't process or issue the visas. They are all issued by the MOFA officer in the office behind the glass counter. LA used to be a very troublesome station and enough people complained that the consular was recalled a couple years ago. They have improved but the DMV-like employee is the only one to answer the main phone (which she rarely does) and answer questions in the reception.

As for phoning any consulate, most are not going to be too helpful over the phone. The main reason is they sometimes give information without seeing documents and then have to change what they said causing them to have very upset customers. Besides, most are not very large posts so there are not many people to answer phones. New York and DC are the possible exceptions to this.

The cost is the same at every consulate in the US. A website may have an error but the price is set country by country and consulates within a country have no authority to deviate and the Embassy would be very happy to receive a complaint if otherwise.

About the issue of jurisdiction for Thai consulates in the U.S., the language they use on the Thai Embassy web site can be somewhat misleading....

Yes, there is language on their web site that basically says they divide the U.S. into regions, and then direct people who live in different states to go to the corresponding consulate for that region. Consulate meaning the actual Thai government consulates or Embassy...

That was my assumption all along, and as someone formerly living in L.A., I had assumed I had to deal with the L.A. Consulate...

But later, upon hiring professional help, I discovered there is additional language that entitles people to also go to the honorary consulate of their choice (and there are many more of the honorary ones)....if they wish to... regardless of what region/consular area they live in. That came as a surprise, but I have found it is in fact true...

I discovered there is additional language that entitles people to also go to the honorary consulate of their choice (and there are many more of the honorary ones)....if they wish to... regardless of what region/consular area they live in. That came as a surprise, but I have found it is in fact true...

With the exceptions of Miami and Denver.........

See this link:

Jurisdictional Info

First off great site, I have been on the email list for awhile but this is my first post. My wife and I are from the U.S. and are planning on moving to Chiangmai in mid-September. Between 2001 and 2004 I spent about two and a half years in LOS and have not been back since 2004, it seems a lot has changed since then.

1. Does anybody know which honorary consulate in the U.S. would be the best to apply for the non O one year visas as I have heard some are better than others?

2. Will they issue most people the one year non O, or do you have to meet any specifics? My wife has a four year degree from a California University in Education and wants to teach in Chiangmai but in the U.S. the 4-year Bachelor's Degree in Liberal Studies (the degree that 90 percent of the teachers in the U.S. are teaching with) does not actually contain the word "education" and as she is finishing school this year she is not "already a teacher in her home country". So rather than go and be turned down under the new educational requirements for teaching she has opted to do a Master's Degree in Education online through a university back in the States. So no help there (at least for a year or two) until she has the word "education" in one of her degrees and can begin teaching. I have a small online store in the States and want to start purchasing a few odds and ends in Thailand for my online store, but again probably no help there.

3. If we can't get the one year what is the longest alternative we can get?

4. We fly out on September 15, so should we apply now for the visas or should we wait until we are closer to the departure date? And how long will it take for our passports to be returned if we have to send them out of state?

Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

When I was not living in LOS I dealt with the Honorary Consulate in El PAso but that seems to be gone now. I have heard good things from the one in Houston and in Portland.

I would email first and tell them your situation and let them recommend the best way to go. Since they are not involved in all the Thai bureaucracy you are liable to get straight answers. The sooner you apply the better. I know that I got Non - O from the El Paso consulate but the rules have changed since the coup 2 years ago.

I do know that if applying for a retirement visa on a VOA, they will convert you to a Non - O before changing you to a retirement visa at immigration in Jomtien. I can't speak for other offices.

Should you be unsuccessful in getting a Non - O, your next best option is the multiple entry tourist visa. It is good for 50 days at a time and you get 2 entries...once when you arrive and another 60 days later after a border crossing. When that visa expires you can do 2 - 30 day VOA at the border for a total of 6 months in country. Then you must leave and go to a third country such as Vietnam to renew the multi-entry tourist visa again. But I imagine by that time you would have figured out an alternative.

Good Luck!

I went into the Thai Embassy in Los Angeles yesterday and the whole process took less than 10 minutes. First went to the lady at the front desk who browsed at my paperwork and sent me to window 2 (visa lady). She also did a quick review and told me she cannot issue a 1 year miltiple entry visa, she said she can only issue a 90 day non immigrant B visa. Then to cashier at window 2 (only $65 for 90 day, not $175 for multiple entry 1 year visa). I have to go back this morning to get my passport at 10-30am. She said I can take this visa to the Thai Immigration in Bangkok and apply for a work permit. Sorry about the long description, but some people may want to know the process. I must say they were all very pleasant in there

I went into the Thai Embassy in Los Angeles yesterday and the whole process took less than 10 minutes. First went to the lady at the front desk who browsed at my paperwork and sent me to window 2 (visa lady). She also did a quick review and told me she cannot issue a 1 year miltiple entry visa, she said she can only issue a 90 day non immigrant B visa. Then to cashier at window 2 (only $65 for 90 day, not $175 for multiple entry 1 year visa). I have to go back this morning to get my passport at 10-30am. She said I can take this visa to the Thai Immigration in Bangkok and apply for a work permit. Sorry about the long description, but some people may want to know the process. I must say they were all very pleasant in there

Thanks for updating on this Aussie... That's interesting to hear... So...it sounds like they're giving you a single entry business visa that's valid for 90 days... So I'm assuming that means...then once in Thailand, if you become employed prior to the expiration of the 90 days, then you can file for an extension of stay from your original visa.... But you can't use only visa run/runs to extend your permitted to stay time beyond the original 90 days...

I also have an update to add... I just received my multiple entry non imm B visa from the Houston honorary consulate, based on invitation documents from one of TV's well-known sponsors here. Everything went smooth as silk, just the same as last year, although the application fee for all the consulates has now risen to $175 for the mult entry version. The consulate processed and return mailed my documents/passport within 24 business hours, just as they had promised. One thing I hadn't realized before, though, is that their office is closed on Friday. So they got my documents on Monday, return mailed them Tuesday using my self addressed overnight envelope, and tracking shows I'm due to receive them back today....

I was in Los Angeles last month, at that time I have not decide about going to Thailand.

I got my 90 day non immigrant O visa in Denver. It's a small office, I think only 2 people work there.

By appointment, got mine the same day about 15 minutes.

Thanks to this forum, I thought I have to send mine to L.A. or Washington D.C.

Immigration has nothing to do with work permit issue. You have to find an employer/position that allows a work permit and then make application at a Labor Office to obtain the work permit. Then if conditions are met for one year extension of stay you could visit Immigration to obtain that.

I also got rejected by Denver but I was able to get my NI type O from the Alabama consulate last October. I'm over 50 so I had no problem but if you aren't, I don't know how strict they are with the new limited requirements of the visa.

Interesting. What info did they require you submit? Pension statement?

Since this was not an O-A visa, presumbably no medical or police statements were required?

They required nothing but the application form, a photo, my passport and $150 check. This was not a retirement visa so no financial statements was required.

Sorry for the late reply I have been away.

Regarding the honorary consulates in the U.S., they generally/often seem to be housed in some kind of private businesses, as is the case with Houston.

So, as far as I can tell, Houston for example has no Thai staff involved. All the people I have come across there...from the honorary consul to his assistant to the person who actually handles my paperwork... are all farang. I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case at most of the honorary consulates... They are, after all, HONORARY consulates....

Thus, they're likely going to have a hard time making sense of documents written only in Thai.

What are people's experiences at any of the other honorary consul locations about this????

It is my understanding that these are just private companies with their own businesses and office that are hired by the Thai Embassy to represent them with limited authorities.

They required nothing but the application form, a photo, my passport and $150 check. This was not a retirement visa so no financial statements was required.

So, to get a Non Imm O visa from the honorary consulate in Alabama requires only that you be at least 50 years old?

Were (are) you a resident of Alabama? (Just checking to see if Alabama, like Colorado and Florida, is limiting their visa applications to residents.....)

I also got rejected by Denver but I was able to get my NI type O from the Alabama consulate last October. I'm over 50 so I had no problem but if you aren't, I don't know how strict they are with the new limited requirements of the visa.

Sorry for the late reply I have been away.

Vagabond....I'm confused about what kind of O visa you applied for/received....

You mention being over 50, which is one of the requirements for an O retirement visa, but then say you didn't get a retirement visa...

So, what exact kind of O visa did the consulate issue for you???