Us Open Covearage

percy2

The coverage from UBC/True has been terrible.

First all the breaks for adds , Why? aren't we paying for subscription TV?

First I switched to Channel 7 which had no breaks and english commentary.

Unfortunately that ended @ 5am.

Now UBC have lost there feed and are showing some recorded golf program, never mind its only one of the majors.

I am currently watching it live on justin.tv where I'm getting an unbtoken feed , even if the res is not great , its not bad and better than nothing.

Why am I paying B2,500 for UBC?

Cheers

I too have been getting up early to watch the coverage. Not sure if all the advert breaks were because of the feed comimg over from the US channel. Pretty annoying especially as all the advertisments were the same and on the final round this morning, many breaks in transmission.

I believe Star-sports have coverage of British open next month. The TV coverage should be from the BBC which should mean no commercial breaks, but I do'nt think so!!

I was rooting for Lee Westwood- but alas!

Tigers eagle putts on 13 & 18 plus the chip in on 17 during his third round made up for the lousy coverage!

I will add a few baht worth of comments----------->>>>>>>

Truevision buys the coverage from StarSports just like a lot of other providers. True is not StarSports network they only deliver that signal from StarSports. The main feed was lost for a bit,,,,,,,,yes very upsetting inthe final round I admit but my True signal was working fine it was the feed to Star sports that was lost. I cannot blame True for that as they have no control of the signals being sent to them for braodcasting.

I will blame True in a second but I think in this case it was out of their hands.

As for all the breaks----------very upsetting and again that is Star Sports interupting every time the US goes to something other than actual coverage. If your not from the US then take my word NBC sports or CBS sports has the worst overal coverage of golf because they only focus on the top two or three groups and they break in for ads every few minutes.

There are a lot of layers to get through to get that signal to you here in LOS. True is at the bottom of the list. They can only deliver what is being fed to them.

I put most of the blame for a lost signal on weather and Star Sports not True

Was a letter to the sports editor in Saturday's Post that dealt with the many break issues. As we all know, True is a pay subscription so by Thai law cannot show advertisements, Star/ESPN is a commercial network with advertisements, so every time Star/ESPN breaks 9and they do it a LOT), True shows Star/ESPN promos instead. Certainly the True technicians need to pay a bit more attention to the timing.

This is all made more difficult to deal with when you are used to excellent break free coverage every week (except this week for some reason) of the European tour shown on True Sports 4 (and sometimes 3)

TH

Dear Khun Sir

Please be advised that US Open play off will be showing tonight, 16/06/08 at 23.00 on TrueSport 66.

Thank you for your kindness and continued support. Write us again whenever we can be of further help to you. Please contact us at 02-7252525 or [email protected]

I look forward to a great playoff---------too bad Westwood missed his putt

Dear Khun Sir

Please be advised that US Open play off will be showing tonight, 16/06/08 at 23.00 on TrueSport 66.

Thank you for your kindness and continued support. Write us again whenever we can be of further help to you. Please contact us at 02-7252525 or [email protected]

I look forward to a great playoff---------too bad Westwood missed his putt

Thanks for the info. I will watch part of it and set the PVR to make sure I don't miss any of it.

I watched on I think it's ESPN started at 12 or 1 PM (tape-delayed). There were too many breaks. I think cause they want to just follow Tiger. The networks must have been, and still are, overjoyed that Tiger is doing what he is. Westwood is great, but that putt at 18 was.... Rocco played great, but he's got to play 18 with Tiger. Scary. Is it going to be on TV? Tiger really is unreal.

Edited by Shotime

Now the playoff is in the record books and will go down as one of the greatest ever. Rocco hung in there when it seemed like Tiger had him and the table turned and Tiger had to pull the rabbit out of the hat on the last hole again.

Rocco maybe ranked around 157 but last night and this morning he is number 1 for sure. He lost the Open but nothing else.

Great golf and thanks to True for the coverage. They had no glitches in signals and Star Sports did OK too.

I stayed awake to the very end and I m glad I did.

Now the playoff is in the record books and will go down as one of the greatest ever. Rocco hung in there when it seemed like Tiger had him and the table turned and Tiger had to pull the rabbit out of the hat on the last hole again.

Rocco maybe ranked around 157 but last night and this morning he is number 1 for sure. He lost the Open but nothing else.

Great golf and thanks to True for the coverage. They had no glitches in signals and Star Sports did OK too.

I stayed awake to the very end and I m glad I did.

I set my PVR for the broadcast, but it went past time and I didn't get to see the most exciting part. Hopefully it will be replayed tonight.

I will add a few baht worth of comments----------->>>>>>>

Truevision buys the coverage from StarSports just like a lot of other providers. True is not StarSports network they only deliver that signal from StarSports. The main feed was lost for a bit,,,,,,,,yes very upsetting inthe final round I admit but my True signal was working fine it was the feed to Star sports that was lost. I cannot blame True for that as they have no control of the signals being sent to them for braodcasting.

I will blame True in a second but I think in this case it was out of their hands.

As for all the breaks----------very upsetting and again that is Star Sports interupting every time the US goes to something other than actual coverage. If your not from the US then take my word NBC sports or CBS sports has the worst overal coverage of golf because they only focus on the top two or three groups and they break in for ads every few minutes.

There are a lot of layers to get through to get that signal to you here in LOS. True is at the bottom of the list. They can only deliver what is being fed to them.

I put most of the blame for a lost signal on weather and Star Sports not True

Your quite correct as regards to True v ESPN/SS

Though I pay True not ESPN/SS.

As regards to the breaks in the feed , the one I found on-line was the same coverage/commentators but with far far fewer breaks.

When the feed came back on True I watched that (because the resolution was better) until the the commercial breaks , then switched to the internet feed during the breaks.

Somebody, be it ESPN/SS or True are adding commercial breaks to the feed they receive which to me is unacceptable for a subscription service which we know True is and I believe ESPN/SS is.

Has anybody successfully streamed a sporting event with a decent resolution in Thailand? If so what internet connection do you have?

The US Open was streamed at 250k the res was probably about 1/2 that of UBC but it was constant (there weren't breaks all the time while re- buffering) though the sund quality was equal to UBC.

Previously I have watched a streamed football match (Leeds losing to Donny) @ 400k , the res was almost the same as UBC but my 2mb connection (True) wasn't fast enough and there were frequent buffering breaks.

I have seen moments of an 800k stream and the res is better than UBC (IIRC) , has anybody watched this without any buffering interruptions? What internet connection were ypu using and who is your ISP?

If you can get a streamed feed of live sporting events @ 800k without breaks I would drop UBC/True in a heart beat.

I was rooting for Lee , then Rocco.

But I'm also rooting for Tiger to break all the records :o

Cheers

Was a letter to the sports editor in Saturday's Post that dealt with the many break issues.

That was me.

I enjoy watching break-free golf every weekend, but when it comes to majors they get slaughtered by all these breaks of coverage. I don't care if it's promos or ads, you see them over and over again and it drives me up the wall.

I don't think star sports broke when the american networks did. The breaks began in the middle of someone addressing their ball, and they returned with a ball landing on the green.

If that's the coverage in the US, then i would think most golf fans must be insane.

Come to think of it, golf players probably are too...

As for truevisions, they didn't get the world cup two years ago, no euros this year, no rugby the other day, no world cup snooker, cricket only on pay per view, still showing heaps of premiership football matches from months ago.

Bloody useless company especially considering they have so many sports channels.

Was a letter to the sports editor in Saturday's Post that dealt with the many break issues.

That was me.

I enjoy watching break-free golf every weekend, but when it comes to majors they get slaughtered by all these breaks of coverage. I don't care if it's promos or ads, you see them over and over again and it drives me up the wall.

I don't think star sports broke when the american networks did. The breaks began in the middle of someone addressing their ball, and they returned with a ball landing on the green.

If that's the coverage in the US, then i would think most golf fans must be insane.

Come to think of it, golf players probably are too...

As for truevisions, they didn't get the world cup two years ago, no euros this year, no rugby the other day, no world cup snooker, cricket only on pay per view, still showing heaps of premiership football matches from months ago.

Bloody useless company especially considering they have so many sports channels.

We got the NBA playoffs, so I am happy. I guess you can't sit in Thailand and expect to see exactly what you would see if you were at home. Go to some of the other countries in Asia. This is very good in comparison.

We got the NBA playoffs, so I am happy. I guess you can't sit in Thailand and expect to see exactly what you would see if you were at home. Go to some of the other countries in Asia. This is very good in comparison.

Good to hear this point!

I'm most mindful that for years i never got ubc, and used to shake my head at the letters complaining about coverage. I would think, just get rid of the tv and do other things.

Then there i was a week ago writing in my very own letter of complaint...

I herewith cease to make any more complaints about tv.

Just another observation... if I may?

I always slag off the sound technicians who produce the Thai "soaps" because it sounds like they just use an on-camera microphone with automatic level control. The voices are sometimes almost inaudible over the wildely fluctuating and increadibly over-loud background noise.

Then I watch golf feeds from America and it's exactly the same. Take the Masters... You sit through 75 identical (but with perfect sound) Rolex ads over 4 days and in between have a little bit of golf with some student "taking care" (or not!) of the sound.

Is this the quality that Americans happily put up with in thier 1st world (sarc) country? The Sound from the European tour seems to be absulutely spot on (Paris air traffic excepted :o ).

I have to agree, the coverage of the EPGA each week is really good, of course it helps that it is in prime time each weekend and there are no breaks.

Except for the majors, I don’t even bother trying to watch the PGA events anymore.

TH