Gun

Amsterdam

Yeah, that's the main point here: how can it possibly be legal to buy a gun in someone else's name and use it yourself? I'm not debating the morals of the issue, or whether foreigners in Thailand can own guns, simply that you can't just shoot someone if you're not licensed to carry a gun! I think the example of the sports club is off topic, since it's clearly not your intended purpose for the firearm.

Having a gun license is not the same as having a license to kill. I am sure that if you walk around with a legal gun it's not permitted to just shoot and kill people. My main point of starting this discussion is not to debate about the issues around gun's but simply to find out where the gun shops are and what the cost of a new gun would be.

I am just saying that legally you are not allowed to even touch that gun, only your wife is!

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amsterdam your OP said,

I should have all the legal documents done by the end of this week to own a gun in my wife name.

You seem surprised/offended that people are commenting on this statement rather than your questions - even though you are asking people to advise you on how to break the law.

I will admit to being firmly anti-gun ownership. but that is not the point here. I am sure even most of those law abiding people who admit to supporting gun ownership would be against people obtaining them illegally.

Okay I admit to some people that this sentence could be misleading but there is nothing illegal going on. Simply purchasing a gun with permit for a Thai national.

If I only asked where a gun shop is people would have started the same conversation asking me if all the legal documents are in order and that only Thai people can own guns. So in both cases including or excluding the statement about obtaining a gun permit I will be challenged by people like you. I only wanted to give some background by letting people know that I don't need help obtaining a gun permit and that the gun is for the wife.

I hope this clears the issue up for you that there is nothing illegal going on. Simply asking about location of gun shops and the price of guns.

Cheers

Amsterdam

We (my wife and I) recently went through the process of legally obtaining a gun. I think a 9mm may be too big for your needs, suggest .38mm. I would be surprised if you can get a premit for a 9mm.

Also I would suggest travelling to Bkk to buy the gun - there is very little to choose from in Ubon, I understand.

We purchased a .385 Smith & Wesson revolver for just over Bt90K. The semi autos can be got for about Bt50-60K.

The OP's wife is buying a concealable weapon, which I assume she will be licensed to have in the house, I would assume that gun laws in Thailand are the same as most countries, the gun must be locked in a safe where only the owner of the gun has access. All is well until the owner's husband accesses that safe and shoots someone who enters his house. In the eyes of the law using a gun if you are not the licensed owner is no different that owning an illegal weapon and shooting someone with it, so long as your wife is prepared to take a potential murder or manslaughter wrap on your behalf there is no problems, but if she changes her mind you are screwed.

I am not saying this because I am against gun ownership, but I am not keen on the consequences that come with the illegal use of weapons.

A Thai national with a licensed firearm is within their legal rights to shoot an intruder on their premises & rightly so. As the Farang husband using the Wife's weapon, probably better to ensure that you kill them (the dead can't testify), wipe the gun down & let the Wife claim responsibility. Unlike for example the UK, criminals have few rights & sympathy in Thailand.

That's what I've been told by Thais as well :o - and my wife wants one - in her name :D

We (my wife and I) recently went through the process of legally obtaining a gun. I think a 9mm may be too big for your needs, suggest .38mm. I would be surprised if you can get a premit for a 9mm.

Also I would suggest travelling to Bkk to buy the gun - there is very little to choose from in Ubon, I understand.

We purchased a .385 Smith & Wesson revolver for just over Bt90K. The semi autos can be got for about Bt50-60K.

Thank you for the advice. The main reason that I want 9mm is because I think it is easier to obtain the ammo. Any reason why you picked a revolver over semi auto? I guess the maintenance is easier, but are there other reasons?

And I will ask the first question i asked again .... to the OP.... why do you want a gun?

It's a fairly simple question and if you can't answer it without beating around the bush about ammo availability and questioning gun laws ..... well, you shouldn't really be allowed to have one.

Edited by Thaddeus

Any reason why you picked a revolver over semi auto? I guess the maintenance is easier, but are there other reasons?[/size][/font]

The revolver trigger mechanism cannot be fired accidentally, especially for a second shot. You really have to pull it positively and can feel when it is about to fire, I am told that the semi auto is also more likely to jam. Also, I believe, that it is easier to check if it is loaded or not. I suggest you try both to compare.

The 9mm will have quite a kick and maybe more difficult for a woman to control. The .38 slugs are quite common and cost Bt30 each.

A foreigner (farang :o ) can apply for a firearm license & legally own a gun in Thailand.

Not hard at all if you fit the criteria which I believe is to be over 30 years old, be on yearly visa extension & can prove that you carry over 1,000,000 Baht in cash for whatever purpose, say business takings, or have been the victim of house burglary.

AKAIK a license will not be granted to a foreigner for recreational use of a firearm.

Cheers,

Soundman. :D

There must be quite a bit of duty on handguns ,(or big margins) The S&W model 385 in .357 magnum sells for $800 US in the states.

The .357 magnum is a good choice in a revolver as it gives the option of using the magnum shell or the more user friendly .38 if a woman is firing it.

There must be quite a bit of duty on handguns ,(or big margins) The S&W model 385 in .357 magnum sells for $800 US in the states.

Yes, the price is more than double it would be in the US. You need a permit from the local government office to buy the gun, and the shop communicates with the local office. I believe that the local office levies a tax on the sale. The actual permit fee is a one-off payment of Bt500.

The .357 magnum is a good choice in a revolver as it gives the option of using the magnum shell or the more user friendly .38 if a woman is firing it.

Imported guns are very expensive in Thailand. Lots of tax. The prices above sound in the ballpark according to the gun magazines I have read.

however

If you are police, or a member of the armed services you are entitled to a 60% (I think) discount off the price of the firearm.

Cheers,

Soundman.

If, as I suspect, the OP requires a gun to enable his wife and her family to protect themselves against local thugs and undesirables, he would, in my opinion, be best advised to purchase something that only maims rather than kills.

This same advice was given to me by Police some 20 years ago. If one should kill an intruder, it would be a certainty that his brothers and/or other family members would seek out the shooter for full retribution.

I know nothing about guns, but it would seem that either a shotgun, or one that shoots rubber bullets may be a better bet. Perhaps the OP should also consider a stun gun. However absolutely no idea where to buy any of these items.

Also, bear in mind that guns around the house do sometimes have the habit of being found by young children with often fatal results.

It all depends on the intended purpose for a firearm, if it is as protection when in public carrying wads of cash then a concealable weapon is the way to go.the only problem is that a concealed weapon is not a deterant .

If it is for home protection then a shottie is the way to go, looking down the business end of a 12g will faze most would be baddies plus its harder to miss.

A forienger CANNOT own a gun!

Why do you want to own one even in your wifes name?

You can go to the range and rent a gun! Then shoot it until your hearts content. I am a true redneck from the USA and I owned many guns in my time, but now I live in Thailand and understand what I can and cannot do!

I joined a hunt in 2000 where we hunted off the backs of elephants for game (Tigers, monkeys, etc) and it cost me over 2500 USD. Fun, exciting, YES but once I grew up I realized it was a crazy waste of money.

Leave the guns to the Thai's and enjoy life in Thailand!

KHUNDAN

Imported guns are very expensive in Thailand. Lots of tax. The prices above sound in the ballpark according to the gun magazines I have read.

however

If you are police, or a member of the armed services you are entitled to a 60% (I think) discount off the price of the firearm.

Cheers,

Soundman.

So if I bring a police officer along I might be able to get a big discount? I might just bring one along. I will check on Friday in Bangkok if this is true.

Any reason why you picked a revolver over semi auto? I guess the maintenance is easier, but are there other reasons?[/size][/font]

The revolver trigger mechanism cannot be fired accidentally, especially for a second shot. You really have to pull it positively and can feel when it is about to fire, I am told that the semi auto is also more likely to jam. Also, I believe, that it is easier to check if it is loaded or not. I suggest you try both to compare.

The 9mm will have quite a kick and maybe more difficult for a woman to control. The .38 slugs are quite common and cost Bt30 each.

ok thanks for the info. i will take a look at the gun..

cheers

And I will ask the first question i asked again .... to the OP.... why do you want a gun?

It's a fairly simple question and if you can't answer it without beating around the bush about ammo availability and questioning gun laws ..... well, you shouldn't really be allowed to have one.

I want a gun for home protection. A copal of rounds in the air will scare off an intruder. Shooting an intruder would be of last resort. But this is off topic and would rather stick to where to buy a gun what price and what model..

My advice to you is this:

Keep the gun safely stored in your house.

Keep it locked un loaded in the boot of your car to & from trips to the range (Ramkamhaeng). Use it to protect your life & your property. Never aim it at anyone or anything you don't intend to kill.

Be safe. Million to 1 chance you would ever need to use it in anger.

My advice to you is this:

Keep the gun safely stored in your house.

Keep it locked un loaded in the boot of your car to & from trips to the range (Ramkamhaeng). Use it to protect your life & your property. Never aim it at anyone or anything you don't intend to kill.

Be safe. Million to 1 chance you would ever need to use it in anger.

I would say that having a gun is asking for trouble, but the OP has already made up his mind so hey-ho.

I am just saying that legally you are not allowed to even touch that gun, only your wife is!

Please show where the law states this, normally anyone can use a registered firearm if the registered owner is present, whether that be on a range or shooting cans on a farm. It may be different in Thailand but that is the way it is in most places.

Edited by madjbs

Amsterdam your OP said,

I should have all the legal documents done by the end of this week to own a gun in my wife name.

You seem surprised/offended that people are commenting on this statement rather than your questions - even though you are asking people to advise you on how to break the law.

I will admit to being firmly anti-gun ownership. but that is not the point here. I am sure even most of those law abiding people who admit to supporting gun ownership would be against people obtaining them illegally.

He is not breaking the law. His wife is getting the gun in her name not his. He is not breaking the law. He and his wife only want it if for self defense. If he has to use his wifes gun to protect his family from murder or rape ect. that is his choice. I am sure the police will see that he had no orther choice to defend his loved ones. If you chose to protect your loved ones by beating the intruder with peace signs and John Lennon "Give Peace A Chance" CD's thats your choice also.

Amsterdam your OP said,

He is not breaking the law. His wife is getting the gun in her name not his. He is not breaking the law. He and his wife only want it if for self defense. If he has to use his wifes gun to protect his family from murder or rape ect. that is his choice. I am sure the police will see that he had no orther choice to defend his loved ones. If you chose to protect your loved ones by beating the intruder with peace signs and John Lennon "Give Peace A Chance" CD's thats your choice also.

He is not allowed to own a gun for self-defence. While it is often tempting to break the laws that don't suit us, I try not to encourage this. The OP clearly states in his post he wants to own a gun in his wife's name. Now while you might see respecting Thai law as equating to being a tree-hugging hippy, I disagree.

Depends how you look at it, technically it's not his whatever he states in his post, so it doesn't really matter. Unless its kept in a different house to his wife's etc.. then he isn't doing anything wrong. However if you were to just use your wife to buy it and then keep it in your condo or your own car, then yes it could be seen as illegal.

I want a gun for home protection. A copal of rounds in the air will scare off an intruder. Shooting an intruder would be of last resort. But this is off topic and would rather stick to where to buy a gun what price and what model..

Given the difference in tone between your first post and then this one, please excuse me for saying that I think you are talking utter <deleted> in this instance. (<deleted> is a humorous word for testicles in English)

You want a gun because you just want a gun, and that's it really, I can practically guarantee that your wife doesn't want one for self protection and has probably filled in the paperwork under sufferance.

Copal that (sic) with the well reported facts that most crimes of house theft in Thailand occur when you aren't actually there or are asleep and don't get the chance to wake up before the deed is done, having a shotgun propped up in a corner, or in a nice display cabinet, is seriously a bad move, a really bad move.

Now please, just admit it, you fancy having a gun to shoot small furry animals and other harmless recreational purposes (sat) .... you shouldn't be allowed to have one .... a catapult will suit you sir.

Given the difference in tone between your first post and then this one, please excuse me for saying that I think you are talking utter <deleted> in this instance. (<deleted> is a humorous word for testicles in English)

You want a gun because you just want a gun, and that's it really, I can practically guarantee that your wife doesn't want one for self protection and has probably filled in the paperwork under sufferance.

Copal that (sic) with the well reported facts that most crimes of house theft in Thailand occur when you aren't actually there or are asleep and don't get the chance to wake up before the deed is done, having a shotgun propped up in a corner, or in a nice display cabinet, is seriously a bad move, a really bad move.

Now please, just admit it, you fancy having a gun to shoot small furry animals and other harmless recreational purposes (sat) .... you shouldn't be allowed to have one .... a catapult will suit you sir.

In actuality it was my wife father who suggested the idea to purchase a gun for self defense and I thought it was a good idea. No the gun is not for him and will not be made available to him.

Now let me ask you this. The land you live on and the home you live in is that in your name or your wife name? although I don’t know you I would bet that most farang who live in Issan live in a home they paid for but do not own. Is this legal?

I would love to go hunting furry animals if there are areas legal to do so. I would how ever not go hunting with a hand gun. This might be a good new post to ask where this is possible.

I don’t want to go off topic any more on this but I will be happy to debate/discuss this if you pm me. For now in this forum I will only discuss GUNS and where to get them for a good price.

Cheers

In actuality it was my wife father who suggested the idea to purchase a gun for self defense and I thought it was a good idea. No the gun is not for him and will not be made available to him.

Now let me ask you this. The land you live on and the home you live in is that in your name or your wife name? although I don’t know you I would bet that most farang who live in Issan live in a home they paid for but do not own. Is this legal?

I would love to go hunting furry animals if there are areas legal to do so. I would how ever not go hunting with a hand gun. This might be a good new post to ask where this is possible.

I don’t want to go off topic any more on this but I will be happy to debate/discuss this if you pm me. For now in this forum I will only discuss GUNS and where to get them for a good price.

Cheers

Good on you Amsterdam :D

though I'm afraid some still want to discuss your father in law :D ........

yeah it aint easy :o

He probably already has one,

Now let me ask you this. The land you live on and the home you live in is that in your name or your wife name? although I don’t know you I would bet that most farang who live in Issan live in a home they paid for but do not own.

Correct, but a roof over your head is a basic necessity. (and the way you phrased that question is a good indicator that you have not spent that that much time here, here being Isaan)

I don’t want to go off topic any more on this but I will be happy to debate/discuss this if you pm me.

I'd prefer not to thanks, I don't think that anyone should own a gun for recreational purposes if it is to be used outside of a recreational facility, you do, on that we will never agree, so there is no point.

He probably already has one,

Now let me ask you this. The land you live on and the home you live in is that in your name or your wife name? although I don’t know you I would bet that most farang who live in Issan live in a home they paid for but do not own.

Correct, but a roof over your head is a basic necessity. (and the way you phrased that question is a good indicator that you have not spent that that much time here, here being Isaan)

I don’t want to go off topic any more on this but I will be happy to debate/discuss this if you pm me.

I'd prefer not to thanks, I don't think that anyone should own a gun for recreational purposes if it is to be used outside of a recreational facility, you do, on that we will never agree, so there is no point.

I told you.......... :D .....well I'll stick to my swords.......and let my wife practise to hit bulls eye! :o

Edited by bergen