Gun

Amsterdam

Surprise is the best form of attack,.if you are going to have a gun keep it strictly to yourself, .if a potential robber wants to rob you bad enough and he knows you have a gun it may back fire on you,...ive read most of these posts and there really are some ignorant ( as in unknowing ) people on here, in a panic situation will you be in control ? i seriously doubt it,.will you really be able to walk tall after killing someone ? ,.

In a panic situation and you have nothing you are in more control than if you had a gun?? Will you be walking tall with your family dead and you did nothing to prevent it ? Some people are smart enough to plan ahead. Apparently you are not.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm ...... let's think about this.

One robber with gun, one victim without...... chances of anyone getting shot, possible.

One robber with gun, one victim with gun.... chances of anyone getting shot, incredibly high.

Which is best?

One robber with gun, one victim without...... chances of anyone getting shot, possible.

One robber with gun, one victim with gun.... chances of anyone getting shot, incredibly high.

Which is best?

Let's also think about this: :o

One robber with gun, one victim without.....chances of victims getting shot, possible.

One robber with gun, one victim with gun.... chances of robber getting shot instead, possible. :D

Which is best?

One robber with gun, one victim without.....chances of victims getting shot, possible.

One robber with gun, one victim with gun.... chances of robber getting shot instead, possible. :D

You sound like the type of person who is looking for a reason to kill somebody.

I hope that I never need to cross your path.

You seem like a real charmer.

Which is best?

So basically your advice then, to all those who wish to protect their family (i think that's everyone), is to go out and get a gun? Have you thought that through to where that takes us? Do you think that the world would be a safer place if we all had guns?

So basically your advice then, to all those who wish to protect their family (i think that's everyone), is to go out and get a gun? Have you thought that through to where that takes us? Do you think that the world would be a safer place if we all had guns?

Studies have found that the level of gun ownership world-wide has a direct correlation with murder and suicide rates and specifically to the level of death by gunfire.

The United States has the greatest level of domestic gun ownership.

In the U.S. for 2001, there were 29,573 deaths from firearms (Suicide 16,869; Homicide 11,348; Accident 802; Legal Intervention 323; Undetermined 231).

In the U.S. for 2004, there were 29,569 firearm deaths and 64,389 non fatal firearm injuries. That's 100,000 casualties. Everyone worries about Iraq but the real carnage is happening right at home.

In 2002 in the U.S., 1,202 women were killed by their intimate partners, accounting for 30 percent of the 4006 women murdered that year. 700 women were killed by intimate partners using guns. The same year, 175 men were killed by intimate partners.

I'd hate to see U.S. style gun culture creep into Isaan.

Once it takes over, as in the U.S., it'll be far too late for redemption. How could the largest number of guns in private hands of any country in the world with 60 million people owning a combined arsenal of over 200 million firearms be eradicated?

Edited by rockyysdt

Which is best?

Where did you get that from? :D

Anyway you don't have to worry about me....nor I, neither my wife have a gun! :D

But it does'nt mean that I'm totally against people who want to have one for home protection.

Many live on remote farms away from villages and far from police, and with a nice car, house and more, are often a preferred target for the bad boys. :D

Most Thai people in my area have gun(s) some for hunting and many for protection, this partly because of beeing close to the Cambodian border in an area with a history of kmehr bandits.

I wish you all well - if you want to have a gun........or if you even don't want to think about it :D

Many live on remote farms away from villages and far from police, and with a nice car, house and more, are often a preferred target for the bad boys. :o

These people you talk of... they have decided themselves to live in these remote places with their nice cars (and more), knowing that they are making themselves a target, right? Nobody forced them. And yet they would do anything to protect their family? Isn't it a contradiction? Ok, you could say people shouldn't be scared away by the bad elements, but is it worth putting your family at risk on a matter of principle? If you want to fight against these bad people and resort to killing rather than move, i would have to question that you are really putting your family's best interests first.

Which is best?

Where did you get that from? :D

Anyway you don't have to worry about me....nor I, neither my wife have a gun! :D

But it does'nt mean that I'm totally against people who want to have one for home protection.

Many live on remote farms away from villages and far from police, and with a nice car, house and more, are often a preferred target for the bad boys. :D

Most Thai people in my area have gun(s) some for hunting and many for protection, this partly because of beeing close to the Cambodian border in an area with a history of kmehr bandits.

I wish you all well - if you want to have a gun........or if you even don't want to think about it :D

Up until a recent move to a city I lived in a very rural part of Thailand. The nearest city was 114KM away and the nearest other westerner was 7KM away. I stayed there 5 years and never once did I feel the need to have a weapon. The only crime we suffered was when a ten year old boy stole one of my old Gameboys. I didn't need to hunt him down with a gun as his parents returned it. I am convinced that the mere act of having a gun in your home vastly increases the chances of somebody being seriously hurt. It is also very hard to have secrets in a village. I wouldn't expect that the locals would take to kindly to a wanabe farang gunslinger in their midst - because that is how it will look.

Many live on remote farms away from villages and far from police, and with a nice car, house and more, are often a preferred target for the bad boys. :o

These people you talk of... they have decided themselves to live in these remote places with their nice cars (and more), knowing that they are making themselves a target, right? Nobody forced them. And yet they would do anything to protect their family? Isn't it a contradiction? Ok, you could say people shouldn't be scared away by the bad elements, but is it worth putting your family at risk on a matter of principle? If you want to fight against these bad people and resort to killing rather than move, i would have to question that you are really putting your family's best interests first.

I could response to more posts :D but I feel I've become a target now :D

I will rest my case and leave the topic to the anti - gun' ers :D

I could response to more posts :D but I feel I've become a target now :o

I will rest my case and leave the topic to the anti - gun' ers :D

Walking away from a fight doesn't seem your style! Admirable. You might want to consider applying that ethos to other aspects of your life...

Surprise is the best form of attack,.if you are going to have a gun keep it strictly to yourself, .if a potential robber wants to rob you bad enough and he knows you have a gun it may back fire on you,...ive read most of these posts and there really are some ignorant ( as in unknowing ) people on here, in a panic situation will you be in control ? i seriously doubt it,.will you really be able to walk tall after killing someone ? ,.

In a panic situation and you have nothing you are in more control than if you had a gun?? Will you be walking tall with your family dead and you did nothing to prevent it ? Some people are smart enough to plan ahead. Apparently you are not.

Oh sorry clint eastwood, you go and buy your gun, me ill just put my hands up and let them take the lot, usually when burgled putting up a fight is what causes death/injuries, ask a cop or someone in the know,live coward or dead hero, you take your chance ,and i pray that if you are ever unfortunate enough to be burgled that they arent armed,if they are and you pull a gun someone will be hurt, Do you feel lucky punk ?,. well do ya ?,. lets hope its not you eh clint,. Edited by imaneggspurt

Well heres my feelings, a good friend of mine ( he was best man at my wedding ) was in his house when 3 men came one with a sawnoff shotgun ,3 weeks ago, ( google colin pester plymouth ) colin put up a fight, they pistol whipped him then shoved the sawn up in his stomach, colin goes to bat it away and it goes off and blows his side out,they step over his body ( he survived ) they drag his wife helen by the hair upstairs whilst their 7 year old looks on,after robbing them they flee,.this is a real life event, do you really think colin will now go and get a gun ? no i think even if he sees a gun in a film he will shit himself,.they cant even return to that house,.in his words, if i had just let them take what they wanted maybe this wouldnt have happened, he didnt have a clue how how he would react, would you ?,.

I just do not understand.

I worked for over 20 years having to carry a gun.

Now I do not have to and do not want to again. I still own one, but left it back in the US with my brother, a gun collector.

I have taken several human lives. It is horrible. Yes, they were total scum, one was a woman, but still feel horrible about it.

To watch someone die..to see what your weapon did, it's not pretty. It's not clean.

Years after, I still wonder if I did the necessary thing on all but one, where she left me no other choice.

I have to ask though,

Why do some of you feel that a drug crazed nut is going to pick your house to come into?

Why you?

Why do you feel you are going to be the victim of such a crime where the use of deadly force would be needed? Or is it.."just in case"?

I'm not being a smart ass or lashing out...I'm just curious.

Well heres my feelings, a good friend of mine ( he was best man at my wedding ) was in his house when 3 men came one with a sawnoff shotgun ,3 weeks ago, ( google colin pester plymouth ) colin put up a fight, they pistol whipped him then shoved the sawn up in his stomach, colin goes to bat it away and it goes off and blows his side out,they step over his body ( he survived ) they drag his wife helen by the hair upstairs whilst their 7 year old looks on,after robbing them they flee,.this is a real life event, do you really think colin will now go and get a gun ? no i think even if he sees a gun in a film he will shit himself,.they cant even return to that house,.in his words, if i had just let them take what they wanted maybe this wouldnt have happened, he didnt have a clue how how he would react, would you ?,.

Sad story, although good to hear they all survived.

Whether this sort of story, or a story like the one on the other thread about a five year old accidently shooting himself to death, has any impact on the gun brigade is another matter. I'm sure they feel that wouldn't happen to them or their family. They have this picture in their heads of some punks rocking up to their house, and them stepping out on to the doorstep whilst their family cowers behind them, and then calmly shooting the bad boys. The family runs to hug the hero dad, and then police and neighbours turn up to hear how it happened and to shake the hands of the village farang who stood up to the villains. Hero dad makes front page news and becomes a bit of a local celebrity. Nice dream... shame life doesn't always work out that smoothly for the good guys...

Now I do not have to and do not want to again. I still own one, but left it back in the US with my brother, a gun collector.

I have taken several human lives. It is horrible. Yes, they were total scum, one was a woman, but still feel horrible about it.

To watch someone die..to see what your weapon did, it's not pretty. It's not clean.

Years after, I still wonder if I did the necessary thing on all but one, where she left me no other choice.

I have to ask though,

Why do some of you feel that a drug crazed nut is going to pick your house to come into? An intruder doesn't necessarily have to be a drug crazed nut.

Why you? Farang = money.

Why do you feel you are going to be the victim of such a crime where the use of deadly force would be needed? There could be many reasons, the obvious one is farang = money. For some it could be a love rival, jilted lover, business associate, problem neighbour, jealous sibling, drug dealer, bookmaker & so on. Or is it.."just in case"? If the law can't/wont protect you - the onus is on yourself. I believe that within reason, one should expect & prepare for the unexpected - worst case scenario.

I respect your views which have clearly been fashioned by your previous employment. However, I wont be swayed by the anti-gun brigade. When I do make the permanent move to Thailand - yes, a gun will be added to the family toolkit, along with an electric perimeter security fence, cctv and other measures - you can't put a price on the security & well being of your loved ones.

I have to ask though,

Why do some of you feel that a drug crazed nut is going to pick your house to come into? An intruder doesn't necessarily have to be a drug crazed nut.

Why you? Farang = money.

Why do you feel you are going to be the victim of such a crime where the use of deadly force would be needed? There could be many reasons, the obvious one is farang = money. For some it could be a love rival, jilted lover, business associate, problem neighbour, jealous sibling, drug dealer, bookmaker & so on. Or is it.."just in case"? If the law can't/wont protect you - the onus is on yourself. I believe that within reason, one should expect & prepare for the unexpected - worst case scenario.

I respect your views which have clearly been fashioned by your previous employment. However, I wont be swayed by the anti-gun brigade. When I do make the permanent move to Thailand - yes, a gun will be added to the family toolkit, along with an electric perimeter security fence, cctv and other measures - you can't put a price on the security & well being of your loved ones.

You should have no problem keeping the natives out of your little prison. Welcome to Thailand. Lets hope you don't kill anybody.

Security comes from inside your own mind and not from guns or electric security fences.

I have to ask though,

Why you? Farang = money.

May i ask why you don't have a gun in your current family toolkit?

I have to ask though,

Why you? Farang = money.

I never said I was anti gun.

I support the right to own one. ( gosh, I'm from the old west for heavens sake, Arizona, where you can still wear a six shooter in public..a friend of mine is even still the Town Marshal of Tombstone. )

Quite the contrary..

I just advise that if you do own one..you do so responsibly.

Gun, wired fence, cctv and other measures??? What part of Thailand are you moving to???? ( Sounds like west Los Angeles )

I have to ask though,

Why you? Farang = money.

Who me?

Because I'm not afraid.

I have to ask though,

Why you? Farang = money.

I can assure you that if I could legally obtain one here in the UK; I would do so forthwith.

A number of years ago I held a shotgun license; foolishly I sold the gun (legally) when I lost the hunger for clay pigeon & more often, real pigeon/game shooting. One of my brothers, a keen shooter, keeps pestering me to start up again, but I haven't really got the time to rekindle my enthusiasm for the sport at present.

The lack of a gun doesn't exactly mean I'm not prepared - I employ a number of measures/tools within the law to maximise the security & well being of my Wife & I. Though I suspect that if/when I am called upon to use these 'tools' to full effect - I most definitely would be acting outside UK law - the laws are ridiculous, with the intruder having far too many rights. :o

I have to ask though,

Why you? Farang = money.

I never said I was anti gun. I was actually referring to some of the other posters.

I support the right to own one. :o ( gosh, I'm from the old west for heavens sake, Arizona, where you can still wear a six shooter in public..a friend of mine is even still the Town Marshal of Tombstone. )

Quite the contrary..

I just advise that if you do own one..you do so responsibly. Of course.

Gun, wired fence, cctv and other measures??? What part of Thailand are you moving to???? Most likely Buriram, but as I suggested - I'd employ such measures wherever I land (provided it's within the law of course) ( Sounds like west Los Angeles )

I have to ask though,

Why you? Farang = money.

Who me?

Because I'm not afraid.

I think his question was directed at me.

I have to ask though,

Why you? Farang = money.

I never said I was anti gun. I was actually referring to some of the other posters.

I support the right to own one. :o ( gosh, I'm from the old west for heavens sake, Arizona, where you can still wear a six shooter in public..a friend of mine is even still the Town Marshal of Tombstone. )

Quite the contrary..

Gun, wired fence, cctv and other measures??? What part of Thailand are you moving to???? Most likely Buriram, but as I suggested - I'd employ such measures wherever I land (provided it's within the law of course) ( Sounds like west Los Angeles )

If you are serious about protecting your family from any chance of misfortune then I suggest you avoid cars and airplanes as there is far more risk from this then there is being cornered by a crazed drug fiend in Issan. Mind you it won't offer the same opportunity to play with guns.

I am so glad that I don't live in a world where I feel the need to imprison my family.

I have to ask though,

Why you? Farang = money.

Quite the contrary..

If you are serious about protecting your family from any chance of misfortune then I suggest you avoid cars and airplanes as there is far more risk from this then there is being cornered by a crazed drug fiend in Issan. Thanks, but I'll stay on the roads & keep flying - I'll also keep my gun. Mind you it won't offer the same opportunity to play with guns.

I am so glad that I don't live in a world where I feel the need to imprison my family. I wish I felt the same; sadly I live in the real world - a world of increasing threat. I'll take whatever measures I deem fit & proper to counteract this threat.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this subject.

I have to ask though,

Why you? Farang = money.

Quite the contrary..

If you are serious about protecting your family from any chance of misfortune then I suggest you avoid cars and airplanes as there is far more risk from this then there is being cornered by a crazed drug fiend in Issan. Thanks, but I'll stay on the roads & keep flying - I'll also keep my gun. Mind you it won't offer the same opportunity to play with guns.

I am so glad that I don't live in a world where I feel the need to imprison my family. I wish I felt the same; sadly I live in the real world - a world of increasing threat. I'll take whatever measures I deem fit & proper to counteract this threat.

I think what this thread has shown is different ways people perceive danger and threat.

To my mind, the likes of Clayton seem to live in a world where any number of dastardly deeds might be lying in wait for them around the next corner. He sounds like a man who is nervous and in my opinion, a touch paranoid.

I'm sure he'll tell us otherwise, but he also sounds like a man who has not lived for a long time in Thailand. I remember when i first came to Thailand ten years ago, i felt more vunerable and at risk, just because the surroundings were new and i didn't know what the level of danger was.

Now i do and i can honestly say, i can't think of anywhere safer to be. I certainly don't need a gun.

Of course the doom mongers will say that nowhere is safe. True enough but nobody can deny that some places are safer than others. And seeing that most of us have the economic freedom to decide where we live, i can't understand why anyone would choose to live in a place where it's necessary to have a gun in the home. I suspect the truth is though, these peole would choose to have a gun if the could, no matter how safe a place was, just because they like the feeling of having a gun.

These people would seem to support the idea of us all having guns for protection. Thinking that through, that would surely mean a lot more guns in the world. One in every home perhaps?

I can't help but wonder what sort of world you want your kids growing up in?

Edited by rixalex

I have to ask though,

Why you? Farang = money.

Quite the contrary..

I think what this thread has shown is different ways people perceive danger and threat.

To my mind, the likes of Clayton seem to live in a world where any number of dastardly deeds might be lying in wait for them around the next corner. He sounds like a man who is nervous and in my opinion, a touch paranoid.

I'm sure he'll tell us otherwise, but he also sounds like a man who has not lived for a long time in Thailand. I remember when i first came to Thailand ten years ago, i felt more vunerable and at risk, just because the surroundings were new and i didn't know what the level of danger was.

Now i do and i can honestly say, i can't think of anywhere safer to be. I certainly don't need a gun.

Of course the doom mongers will say that nowhere is safe. True enough but nobody can deny that some places are safer than others. And seeing that most of us have the economic freedom to decide where we live, i can't understand why anyone would choose to live in a place where it's necessary to have a gun in the home. I suspect the truth is though, these peole would choose to have a gun if the could, no matter how safe a place was, just because they like the feeling of having a gun.

These people would seem to support the idea of us all having guns for protection. Thinking that through, that would surely mean a lot more guns in the world. One in every home perhaps?

I can't help but wonder what sort of world you want your kids growing up in?

I live in Surin. Would you consider that to be an unsafe place? I have been here 2 years and their has been 8 people shot and killed here in that period of time. Before I lived in Leesburg, Virginia USA for 12 years. A lot of people there hunt and I would guess the vast majority of people have guns in their home.

In the whole 12 years I lived there I can only remember 1 murder.