Voip Phone

bkkmick

Hi

Any recommendations for a VOIP phone?

I have a True internet connection (if that makes a difference).

I've tried a site search but the threads I found seemed quite old, so I'm wondering if anyone has bought a VOIP phone recently and is sufficiently happy with the results to recommend it.

Majority of calls will be to UK and Ireland.

Also, is Skype still the best service to use for clarity or is there another new kid on the block worth looking at?

All the best

Mick

N95 - you're good to go. the built in SIP client does work with voiptalk.org by the way (and your own asterisk PBX if you got one set up). Fring is a decent piece of software and luckily, call quality is usable over GPRS too.

I would get a tesco soft phone you get a free UK number and you dont need to put any money on it..basicly what the crack is that when you go to tesco's you 'buy' the CD for a fiver which basicly is a link to download the softphone off the website from there you setup your account and you can choose to either pay as you go which you dont have to put credit on immediately or pick a monthly pacage the phone thailand mobiles for 5 hrs for 3 quid is good value...anyway if you want the exe file just PM me and i will send it to you then setting up the number is self explanitary

Nope...if you want to use it just as a incoming UK number then nothing and you can pick which area code you want,if i remember you do have to put a UK address in but that can be anything if you want to dial out then yes you have to use you CC or DC to top up, my advice would be to test it out 1st see what you think as i tried it and its a bit bitty at times on my connection but on my mates its crystal..

I usually don't like demonstrating how dumb I am in public, but, are you saying that I can use this UK number, for example, for my mother to phone and then it gets redirected to my Thai mobile phone. Then she would only have to pay a UK charge and my Tesco number gets charged for the remaining (UK -> Thailand) part?

No what would happen is that you would sign up and pick whatever city code you wanted..download the softphone then your mum would dial that number so if you picked London it would be 0207 12345678 or BHAm 0121 12345678 and pay the normal rate as if she was phonin her mate next door but it would ring on your computer and providing you had either a standard mic or you could buy a USB hard phone you just speak as normal..it doesnt cost you anything....as far as im aware it only works on your PC not your Nokia..

You can find local numbers or national numbers ie.0 845/0844 or 0870 that will route the call to your mobile for free but they are more expensive to the caller and some are like 20/30/40p per minute but still you dont pay anything it all depends what you want...

There is a little place in Seacon Square that claim they sell the CISCO voip handset. However lately when I ask to see the models they tell me they are out of stock. If I think of it I will pass by there again. SKYPE comes preinstalled.

pm me if interested.

Of course you'll need to set up wireless connection. I use a Linksys router with wireless. That little shop sells them. I doubt you could find this place on your own. It's one of these kiosk built around a support column. level B1. Near Tesco Lotus. I could show you if you want.

Lingo... at lingo.com 24.95 US a month for unlimited calls to USA, Mexico, UK and most of western Europe. You can have a local number in the UK so when people call you over here its a local call. It hooks up to an Ethernet connection and your phone plugs into it. I have 3 lingos, one packet 8, and one vonage. All of these are good.. but only lingo is free to western Europe. PM me if you want more info or just check out lingo.com ... I also have two of the sip devices here that I have as backups but I have been here 5 years and have not needed one so if your interested in getting one let me know.

If you are going to be using the service in Thailand, I would have to recommend Deecall (google them). They can give you a UK number on your VoIP phone, and you can forward it to your mobile phone if you want at low domestic rates. (They offer geographic numbers from most major cities in the UK. Free, unlimited incoming calls if you receive it on your VoIP phone.)

Ask them about their new DLink Wireless 2 in 1 DECT phone. I have a beta version, and the quality is very good. Digital wireless phone with a fixed line and VoIP service in a single handset. A bit pricey from what I was told (final pricing hadn't been determined when I last spoke with them, but numbers like 6000 baht were being used), however I find it extremely convenient to use.

Their servers are located in Thailand, so you don't have any of the issues you get using overseas carriers, and easy to pay the bill too. Local support too, (if you consider that a good thing. :-)

Lowest cost plan is only 250 baht per month, and you can register your mobile phone, and then use it to make calls on the same plan.

Well Nick I went by there today. The Cisco i-phone (Cisco owned this name years before Apple stole it) is no longer being imported. So I got the brochure on the Linksys SPA-901.

It's not wireless & it doesn't work with your router.

It's a normal looking handset - plugs into a normal phone jack. He says you sign up for a S.I.P. with one of 7 providers. CAT & TOT are 2 I remember. He mentioned 90 stang per minute.

It's nearly opposite DK books - a little way back toward Tesco sys2u.com 027219297. Look for the support column as I said before.

Check out voipdiscount.com voipcheap.com voipbuster.com

I call the Uk for 2-3 hours a day 4 days a week. It costs me 540 baht and i get 120 days of free calls 300 minutes per week i have occasionally topped up before my free days are up as run out of credit which is used against mobile calls to uk and premium number calls 0870 0845 etc.

I Have 2 accounts if someone is doing the math.

And no i am not an agent for them just a very happy customer.

edit----no need for additional telephone either just the headset/mic that i use for msn chat

Edited by princealbert

How about trying Vonage (UK), you can either get a small voip adapter for a normal phone or a wifi mobile that works on any open wifi connection. I mention them because you say you will mostly be dialing UK and Ireland, and their lowest price plan gives you free calls to UK and Ireland!

Chris

Check out voipdiscount.com voipcheap.com voipbuster.com

I also use this VOIP service. It has proven to be quite reliable and inexpensive, and has an additional feature which I find invaluable - Using the "phone to phone" option, enter your local mobile or landline #, then you enter the int'l number you wish to call. Your phone will ring, wait a second then the destination phone will ring and you are connected. The advantage of this means you don't have to rely on your (usually) crappy ADSL bandwidth, in fact you don't even need ADSL, this can be done over a dialup line just as easily. Also, if my wife is out of town and away from a PC, and she needs to call one of her customers overseas, she can SMS the # to me, and I enter her mobile and her customer's #. I can monitor the connection status and see when the two parties are connected. This method has proven to be more reliable than Skype or any other VOIP service I've used.

This is for the Nokia E51. I have never tried it because fast WiFi is difficult to find.

GPRS Class 32

HSCSD Yes

EDGE Class 32

3G HSDPA, 3.6 Mbps

WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11b/g, VoIP over WLAN

Bluetooth Yes, v2.0 with A2DP

Infrared port Yes

USB Yes, v2.0 miniUSB

Tuan. The reason you might want one is: You run a small business out of the United States. You travel to the Far East several times a year to source your inventory.

If you sign up with Vonage your customers can reach you by merely calling your normal office number. Whereever you are in the world.

I use net2phone & TRUE 2 MB. It is not good enough connection to make myself understood. If the person you are talking to is a little bit compter savvy you can explain your are on an internet phone (ala Skype Windows live etc) at 4 cents perminutes to USA it makes sense.

Could try getting a regular mobile phone that has SIP and WiFI support - Nokia S60v3 models do, Possibly pick up a e65 or e70 for cheap.

Nokia E51 has it, just install Fring and you can have all your VOIP programs at hand.

Tuan. The reason you might want one is: You run a small business out of the United States. You travel to the Far East several times a year to source your inventory.

If you sign up with Vonage your customers can reach you by merely calling your normal office number. Whereever you are in the world.

I use net2phone & TRUE 2 MB. It is not good enough connection to make myself understood. If the person you are talking to is a little bit compter savvy you can explain your are on an internet phone (ala Skype Windows live etc) at 4 cents perminutes to USA it makes sense.

Thanks for educating me. Makes sense, now!

• 2 weeks later...