Quick Question...

cymruambyth1

Dear All,

Want to get married to a Thai girl. Been here 5+ years, have Non-Imm 'B' Visa and work permit for the past 4+ years. Earning the standard 50,000 on the books in my own business.

Do I still need to evidence the 400k in my bank before I march off to the Amphur ofice and kiss my freedom goodbye?

Any other help - or being directed to the relevant part of TV.com - would be welcomed.

Thanks

You need to contact your embassy and get a document from that stating that things that you are currenlty single, hwat your income is etc. Your embassy has standerd forms for that, called something like capacity to marriage form. This form you have to get translated and than legalised by the Thai foreign office, consular section. Your embassy(website) will tell you exactly what to do and wich documents to provide.

With the legalized document you go to the amphur office and be wed.

Be rude and obnoxious at the amphur, I am sure they will find reasons why your app is no good and to come back another day :D I managed to delay mine 2x

Took me 3 tries,

1st try they said I needed a translator who wasnt a friend.

2nd try, they said I needed a document from the Cdn embassy saying that I give the Mrs permission to use my name or keep hers. I told them no such requirement for Cdns, the lady showed me a doc in german. I said thats german. She insisted I needed one.

3rd try, went to Cdn embassy to ask about the permission doc. Received blank stares and "there is no such requirement from Cdn govt". The embassy made a few phone calls and told Mrs and Me to head over to Bangrak office immeaditely. Got married that same day :o

Thanks guys,

I was hoping you would all tell me how difficult it was so I could hang on to what little freedom I have left :o

Well, I don't know about anyone else but it was horrible!

First trip to the Amphur, they told me she was ugly and came around the desk to beat the snot out of me for being so stupid. Many trips to my Embassy (for papers that didn't exist), doctor's reports because they said she smelled like a disease, many trips to a hospital cosmetic surgeon because they said my multiple facial tattoos (see avatar - I am not wearing sunglasses - or a shirt for that matter) and scars had to go, her two legal husbands showed up on our 17th attempt and the only way the Amphur would approve our marriage was if I agreed to allow her other two husbands to share our home and bank accounts..

Trust me, don't do it!

I would throw it all away to have my freedom back but for being unwilling to give up her gorgeous first husband..

Hope this helps... :D

Edited by Dustoff

just get the form affirmation to marry fill it in and hand it back to your Embassy ,wait 24 hours go back and pick it up the get it translated and get that stamped at the Thai foreign office then go to your local Amphur office with your passport her ID card and blue book ,pay the small fee and thats it they give you two marriage certificates if she takes your surname then she has a time limit to change her ID card , its too easy to get married here

PS just check that when you have the translation done they spell your name right.

colino

just get the form affirmation to marry fill it in and hand it back to your Embassy ,wait 24 hours go back and pick it up the get it translated and get that stamped at the Thai foreign office then go to your local Amphur office with your passport her ID card and blue book ,pay the small fee and thats it they give you two marriage certificates if she takes your surname then she has a time limit to change her ID card , its too easy to get married here

PS just check that when you have the translation done they spell your name right.

colino

Also...Do I need to go through the pain-in-the-arse of paying STG 40 (40 quid) for a copy of my Decree Absolute from London?

I was divorced in '97 and can't even remember which month and all the forms seem to need 'proof of divorce' (or 'proof of ability to get married' or some similar <deleted>).

Any way around this - like saying "no...I have never been married before"??

I am just wondering if the check the UK Embassy will do will actually prove that I was divorced 11 years ago??

Edited by cymruambyth1

Dear All,

Want to get married to a Thai girl. Been here 5+ years, have Non-Imm 'B' Visa and work permit for the past 4+ years. Earning the standard 50,000 on the books in my own business.

Do I still need to evidence the 400k in my bank before I march off to the Amphur ofice and kiss my freedom goodbye?

Any other help - or being directed to the relevant part of TV.com - would be welcomed.

Thanks

You do not need 400k to get married; 400k is only required for marriage visa (but actually that it outdated and now you need 40k per month income) but that is only if you want to apply for a Type O visa after getting married.

To get married you required:

- Passport

- Form from your embassy and professionally translated/verified copy saying you are not currently married.

- Wifes ID card

- Wifes "house paper" (paper showing her current address)

- 1 (or is it 2) "witnesses" (there are witnesses for hire on location)

- Might be a good idea to bring some passport photos just in case too.

Edited by dave111223

Also...Do I need to go through the pain-in-the-arse of paying STG 40 (40 quid) for a copy of my Decree Absolute from London?

I was divorced in '97 and can't even remember which month and all the forms seem to need 'proof of divorce' (or 'proof of ability to get married' or some similar <deleted>).

I am just wondering if the check the UK Embassy will do will actually prove that I was divorced 11 years ago??

That's your call. You are divorced, your ex-wife knows you are both divorced and I assume that your wife-to-be knows you are divorced and happily takes your word for it. Or does she? If you are taking marriage vows lightly which would appear to be the case when you call the 'Affidavit for Freedom to Marry' as '<deleted>', go ahead and tell the embassy a little white lie. I doubt that they check but your lie does become a part of a legalised document here. However, if you are serious, I would recommend getting that really expensive copy for your decree and doing it all correctly. The whole paper trail, like marriage isn't all about what's easier or cheaper for you but maybe that penny hasn't dropped with you yet.

That's your call. You are divorced, your ex-wife knows you are both divorced and I assume that your wife-to-be knows you are divorced and happily takes your word for it. Or does she? If you are taking marriage vows lightly which would appear to be the case when you call the 'Affidavit for Freedom to Marry' as '<deleted>', go ahead and tell the embassy a little white lie. I doubt that they check but your lie does become a part of a legalised document here. However, if you are serious, I would recommend getting that really expensive copy for your decree and doing it all correctly. The whole paper trail, like marriage isn't all about what's easier or cheaper for you but maybe that penny hasn't dropped with you yet.

Thanks for the lecture, based on knowing absolutely nothing about me.

I promise to read more Mills & Boon books prior to getting married in the endeavour to help the 'penny drop'.

PS - How do you get the notion that I think 40 quid is expensive? Sorry for asking, but I don't seem to be able to get any pennies to drop today.

PPS - Yes, my wife-to-be does know I was married before, so no need to also insinuate I am a liar as well as a cheapskate.

colino

I had to get mine sent from the uk as long as you know the year and what court dealt with your divorce . i paid 10 pound including search fee and they posted it to me here in Thailand its cheaper if you can give the day and month, that was the price 3 years ago.

colino

colino

I had to get mine sent from the uk as long as you know the year and what court dealt with your divorce . i paid 10 pound including search fee and they posted it to me here in Thailand its cheaper if you can give the day and month, that was the price 3 years ago.

colino

Yes, I have already sopken to the court in my county in the UK and they have refered me to something called "The Registry for Silly B@stards That Have Lost Their Important Documents" or some such similar name in London.

First though, I need to consult "The Department of Stupid Cnuts that Cannot Remember Which Year They Got Divorced In". :o

I can confirm it is now 40 quid but I don't want to harp on about the cost in case I get castigated again by complete strangers.

PS - I really do think the world of the girl I want to marry...I just hate beaurocracy and paperwork :D