Flooding Strikes Pattaya

george

British tourist dies of electrocution in Pattaya flood

PATTAYA: -- Thailand's eastern seaboard coastal resort of Pattaya in Chonburi province has returned to normal, while British consular officials are investigating the circumstances of the death of a British tourist who died from an electric shock.

Incessant rain triggered flooding in low-lying Pattaya, damaging houses and shops.

The tourist was killed in an apparent freak accident from an electric shock while he was wading through flood to return his room.

Sukhumvit Road in Southern Pattaya was under one metre of water Thursday morning causing traffic disruption for small vehicles.

Houses and shops in the town were hit by flooding as deep as two metres.

Officials geared up to pump flood waters and divert them into the sea.

Local sources indicated that the severity of the flooding was caused in part by garbage-clogged drainage pipes and ditches.

--TNA 2008-06-19

Local sources indicated that the severity of the flooding was caused in part by garbage-clogged drainage pipes and ditches.

--TNA 2008-06-19

Surprise of the year. Not. :o

Well, what should we expect from a bunch of "city fathers" :D (puke) who can't even plan to go to the toilet? I thought that the job of cleaning out the city drains, prior to the start of each rainy season, had been put out to tender a couple of years ago with the promise that the problem had been tackled, solved and wouldn't happen again. They have to stop serving soft drinks in plastic bags!!!!

The electric company has been quoted as saying that this poor lad's death was "an act of God".

Nothing to do with their shoddy maintenance then????

Surprised they didn't blame it on the farang ! :o

After all, if he hadn't come to Thailand, he wouldn't have been wading through that water and therefore wouldn't have been electrocuted.

--TNA 2008-06-19

Surprise of the year. Not. :D

Well, what should we expect from a bunch of "city fathers" :D (puke) who can't even plan to go to the toilet? I thought that the job of cleaning out the city drains, prior to the start of each rainy season, had been put out to tender a couple of years ago with the promise that the problem had been tackled, solved and wouldn't happen again. They have to stop serving soft drinks in plastic bags!!!!

No surprises here.

Last year I saw them cleaning out the drains along Second Rd in November. Just after the rains had stopped. :o (Add sound effect of galloping horses and slamming of barn doors.)

English Tourist electrocuted as he walks back to his Hotel in South Pattaya.

In the early hours of Thursday Morning, Police Major Pumipat from Pattaya Police Station was called to the Pattaya Memorial Hospital to investigate the death of a foreign tourist who was thought to have been electrocuted. The deceased, Mr. Scott Mitchinson aged 30 from England was accompanied to the Hospital by his girlfriend; Khun Wanidar aged 32, who works at a bar in Walking Street. She was able to explain the chain of event leading to Mr. Mitchinson’s death which appears to be a tragic accident. She explained to Police that the pair were preparing to leave the Bar and return to his Hotel, even though heavy rainstorms on Wednesday Night had flooded many streets. The pair approached the corner of Soi 17 off the Pratamnuk Road near Pattaya School Number 8 when Mr. Mitchinson suddenly collapsed and began to convulse. If fact he had come into contact with exposed power cables, concealed by the flood waters. Passers-by realized the situation and were reluctant to approach the victim because of the potential of electrocuting themselves. Eventually a plan was formulated to rescue the victim, however he had already passed-away according to Doctors who attempted CPR at the Emergency Room which was unsuccessful. The British Embassy in Bangkok are aware of the case and it is thought that the Tourist Emergency Relief Fund will be called upon to offer some compensation for this tragic death.

Pattaya One News

The poor sod. And what a waste of a young life.

Condolances to the family.

Also, have to feel for the people who witnessed this and could do nothing to save him.

And, sadly, there is no prospect of anyone in authority being held responsible for this death.

In fact he had come into contact with exposed power cables, concealed by the flood waters. Passers-by realized the situation and were reluctant to approach the victim because of the potential of electrocuting themselves.

This seems rather an unlikely explanation. Exposed power cables concealed by flood waters? This would have caused a power failure in the entire area, grounding the live supply and dropping out breakers as soon as the exposed cables became submerged. And what of everyone else in contact with water last night or in the early hours of this morning? The flooding around Pattaya was impossible to avoid....there wasn't a dry bit of road or path in sight. Any experts out there?

In fact he had come into contact with exposed power cables, concealed by the flood waters. Passers-by realized the situation and were reluctant to approach the victim because of the potential of electrocuting themselves.

This seems rather an unlikely explanation. Exposed power cables concealed by flood waters? This would have caused a power failure in the entire area, grounding the live supply and dropping out breakers as soon as the exposed cables became submerged. And what of everyone else in contact with water last night or in the early hours of this morning? The flooding around Pattaya was impossible to avoid....there wasn't a dry bit of road or path in sight. Any experts out there?

what are you talking about this is common in thailand a guy driving on a motor bike a few years ago was driving along sukomvit and went into what he thought was a puddle and there was live electric cables in a metre deep hole " killed instantly, i know these 4 guys who went out on there last night here just yesterday and there was 1 less going home to newcastle today 30 years old the thais dont care at all. the very least the corupt pattaya city hall should do is heavily sue the electric company and pay all the costs to this young mans family for the costs of taking the body back, but as usual the thais cant see further than there noses = the lining of there pockets

RIP mate.

They will never solve this issue. A new surprise every year.... :o

The truth is, if they don't get a kick ass every day they won't do anything. Oh...sorry I am a rude farang, not understanding the Thai style, but many things are very well overdue now.

(The reason why I am angry like that is that this stupid thing can happen to anyone...when walking home after heavy rain and flooding....)

Edited by moo9

RIP mate.

The truth is, if they don't get a kick ass every day they won't do anything. Oh...sorry I am a rude farang, not understanding the Thai style, but many things are very well overdue now.

(The reason why I am angry like that is that this stupid thing can happen to anyone...when walking home after heavy rain and flooding....)

im on ur side of the fence m8,

RIP

Sad state of pattaya for the tourist.

This story should be on a few news papers around the world. (I hope )

Shame on Pattaya. :o

But remember mate, this could not only happen in Pattaya, it could happen anywhere in LOS!

A few years back when new drains were being laid and the road totally resurfaced on Pattaya Klang, I looked into the workings opposide Foodland. All the debris and rubble had been shovelled into the new drains thus making the whole exercise pointless.

I was once told that there are five companies qualified to bid for roadworks contracts in Pattaya. They were all owned by Kamnam Pho. And who is the father of the newly elected Mayor of Pattaya?

Why wasn't the girlfriend electrocuted also? Wouldn't they have been in close proximity if not holding hands?

RIP mate.

So very true! RIP Scott.

what are you talking about this is common in thailand a guy driving on a motor bike a few years ago was driving along sukomvit and went into what he thought was a puddle and there was live electric cables in a metre deep hole " killed instantly, i know these 4 guys who went out on there last night here just yesterday and there was 1 less going home to newcastle today 30 years old the thais dont care at all. the very least the corupt pattaya city hall should do is heavily sue the electric company and pay all the costs to this young mans family for the costs of taking the body back, but as usual the thais cant see further than there noses = the lining of there pockets

I don't think that this is at all "common" in Thailand or can you prove me wrong? Dropping into a 1 metre deep hole, wet or dry, with or without the extra hazard of exposed live electrical cables, can be terminal for any motorcycle rider.

well i hope the electricty company dually remove there stickers ' Safety First '

If this had happened anywhere else in the world, it would make front page news, with compensation most probably running into the Millions of Dollars for the family, oh and not to forget the company directors being charged with Coporate manslaughter!....

But TIT, and nothing will probably happen

RIP

In the early hours of Thursday Morning, Police Major Pumipat from Pattaya Police Station was called to the Pattaya Memorial Hospital to investigate the death of a foreign tourist who was thought to have been electrocuted. The deceased, Mr. Scott Mitchinson aged 30 from England was accompanied to the Hospital by his girlfriend; Khun Wanidar aged 32, who works at a bar in Walking Street. She was able to explain the chain of event leading to Mr. Mitchinson's death which appears to be a tragic accident. She explained to Police that the pair were preparing to leave the Bar and return to his Hotel, even though heavy rainstorms on Wednesday Night had flooded many streets. The pair approached the corner of Soi 17 off the Pratamnuk Road near Pattaya School Number 8 when Mr. Mitchinson suddenly collapsed and began to convulse. If fact he had come into contact with exposed power cables, concealed by the flood waters. Passers-by realized the situation and were reluctant to approach the victim because of the potential of electrocuting themselves. Eventually a plan was formulated to rescue the victim, however he had already passed-away according to Doctors who attempted CPR at the Emergency Room which was unsuccessful. The British Embassy in Bangkok are aware of the case and it is thought that the Tourist Emergency Relief Fund will be called upon to offer some compensation for this tragic death.

Pattaya One News

Pattaya's third rate reporting at it's best again. :o

Even a second rate reporter would have been more tactful given that close friends and family may well end up reading this in an attempt to find out what actually happened.

BB

The electric company has been quoted as saying that this poor lad's death was "an act of God".

Since when has negligence been "an act of god"

I hope the guy had good travel insurance with legal assistance and they vigorously pursue those responsible for substantial compensation for his family.

Here in the UK even the directors of the Electricity Company could face a term in prison for "corporate Manslaughter".

BB

Since when has negligence been "an act of god"

I hope the guy had good travel insurance with legal assistance and they vigorously pursue those responsible for substantial compensation for his family.

Here in the UK even the directors of the Electricity Company could face a term in prison for "corporate Manslaughter".

BB

AS in my previous post, i mention Coporate Manslaughter, but would this legally bind here in Thailand?

I don't think that this is at all "common" in Thailand or can you prove me wrong? Dropping into a 1 metre deep hole, wet or dry, with or without the extra hazard of exposed live electrical cables, can be terminal for any motorcycle rider.

the point is why dont the electricity board claim responsibility, that metre whole they dug had no danger signs and it was not cordoned off

Even in front of that new shopping mall "the avenue" there is an absolute bird's nest of 50-75 power

cables a few meters off the ground. at one point in front of au bon pain they actually have a wooden

support made of two by fours shaped like a "T" holding them from sagging closer to the ground. I've

always seen loose cables , especially around the poles going all the way to the ground.be careful . :o