Thai Driver's Licence

Cowman

I need a Thai Driver’s Licence to be legal driving my (Issan) tuk-tuk.

I went to the local licence centre in Nonghan (I live in Udon Thani Province) to get a licence but they said they can no longer issue to foreigners. I was told that it was now the responsibility of the Immigration Department. Immigration used to have an office in Udon Thani that operated on Fridays, but that no longer happens, so I guess the closest is Nongkhai (which is not very close.)

Has anyone else had this experience. Do they issue a licence or just provide some sort of authorisation for the regular licence centre?

What do I need to take to immigration? I have an international licence with a little over a week before expiry and am here on a “retirement” visa.

By the way where is the Immigration Office in Nongkhai?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

I need a Thai Driver’s Licence to be legal driving my (Issan) tuk-tuk.

I went to the local licence centre in Nonghan (I live in Udon Thani Province) to get a licence but they said they can no longer issue to foreigners. I was told that it was now the responsibility of the Immigration Department. Immigration used to have an office in Udon Thani that operated on Fridays, but that no longer happens, so I guess the closest is Nongkhai (which is not very close.)

Has anyone else had this experience. Do they issue a licence or just provide some sort of authorisation for the regular licence centre?

What do I need to take to immigration? I have an international licence with a little over a week before expiry and am here on a “retirement” visa.

By the way where is the Immigration Office in Nongkhai?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

Immigration will only issue with a Residents Certificate. You take this to the Driving Licence center together with a medical certificate from a clinic. Using your international driving permit you may or may not have to take a test.

Everything you need is here.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=27462

Alternatively.....If you have a valid overseas licence, free of endorsements, then get an International D L in Phuket. Can be done via mail. I had a valid Hong Kong Drivers licence, but as I dont live there now, and my ID card expired, I cant get an International DL there. I went to International Auromobile Assn in Phuket, (google them). You can do the procedure by mail. I got a 20 year International DL. 6000 baht. A ten year IDL costs 5000 baht. You can use that in Thailand, and I will use mine also in Europe. It looks very official and is accepted. It is legal. The IAA is USA registered. US govt transport dept only gives two Auto Assns the right to issue an International DL, and NOT this IAA. However, as this licence is not issued in USA, that ruling doesnt apply. It is issued in Thailand. According to the Geneva convention, any countriy`s Transportation Dept can designate an/several Automobile Assn/s to issue these IDLs. Thai Govt transportation Dept accepts these licences, so it appears they have designated IAA as an issuing body.

Edited by thomast

I went to International Auromobile Assn in Phuket, (google them). You can do the procedure by mail. I got a 20 year International DL. 6000 baht. A ten year IDL costs 5000 baht.

They saw you coming too :o They are not acceptable in Thailand in the event of a serious accident or and insurance claim. The only acceptable one is an "International Drivers Permit" and it's only valid for one year. The so called IDL is an utter scam, and available from dozens of web outlets at various costs. Get a real one before you have an accident.

As Lite Beer said, get from your Immigration office a so-called resident paper (tell them for what you need it) and from any clinic a medical certificate (costs 40 THB in Isaan) and with that paperwork you go to the local Land Transportation office and they only will issue you a Thai drivers licence valid for one year and renewable for 5 years after that one year period. Take the driving licence from your home country with you. You may get the licence it without a test, and in case the ask you for a test it is really not a big deal. TIT.

As Lite Beer said, get from your Immigration office a so-called resident paper (tell them for what you need it) and from any clinic a medical certificate (costs 40 THB in Isaan) and with that paperwork you go to the local Land Transportation office and they only will issue you a Thai drivers licence valid for one year and renewable for 5 years after that one year period. Take the driving licence from your home country with you. You may get the licence it without a test, and in case the ask you for a test it is really not a big deal. TIT.