Mexican Food In Bkk

GaiYaang

In my experience Thailand restaurant reviews are useless because they give everyone a good review

Saw this review the other day by Bk Magazine. Don't think you could have a more negative review on a Mexican restaurant or any restaurant for that matter. I ate there five years ago and remember it to be bad but it seems it has gotten even worse.

http://www.bkmagazine.com/review/el-gordo-s-cantina

El Gordo's Cantina: El Gordo's Cantina

by BK Editorial on June 26, 2008 - 10:10am <H3 class=rating>Rating: 1/5</H3><H3 class=price>Price: BB-BBB</H3><H3 class=reviewed-place>The place: El Gordo's Cantina</H3>

• <LI class=english>30/8 Silom Soi 8 <LI class=thai>30/8 สีลม ซอย 8 <LI class=phone>Phone: 02-237-1415, 02-234-5470
  • Daily 5pm-late

El Gordo's Cantina

Mexican. 30/8 Silom Soi 8, 02-237-1415, 02-234-5470

One of a dying, but not yet dead, breed, El Gordo's predates Bangkok's new wave of Mexican restaurants by two decades. Unfortunately, it looks like it. The décor is tired, the menu features items they don't serve and the place is understandably often empty in the evening. We suspect it survives only because it doubles as a noodle shop. Seriously: day and night, you can order a bowl with your taco or burrito. Just don't try to order one with a taco or burrito containing pork, or with a bowl of guacamole, because chances are they won't have these items, as we discovered on a recent visit. And we'd advise you to order a standard margarita instead of a supposedly premium "Cadillac" (B150)—the pitchers (B800) are generous in size and the drinks are freshly made, but they taste mostly of overly bitter Thai limes and not top-shelf alcohol as they should. The atmosphere at El Gordo's is surreal, with its aging, kitschy sombreros and other clichéd wall hangings and live music performed by a singer-guitarist who snuck in and started playing Latin hits and "oldies" favorites while we were looking through the menu. The food, like the setting, is so old school it's almost funny. The "Tex-Mex" appetizer plate (B220) is a medley in shades of brown. It contains two kinds of nachos, one with thick but slightly stale corn chips and one made with flour tortillas, and a soggy quesadilla that tasted like bland spring roll wrappers. For mains, there are also several combination platters, the biggest of which is "El Gordo's Supremo: The Mount Everest of Food (B445)," which is thankfully more horizontal than vertical. You get a choice of chicken, beef or pork (if they have it); they do a better job with minced meat than shredded, but in general the fillings are salty but not seasoned in any distinctive way. If we had to recommend one of the items it would be the deep-fried chimichanga, but don't bother with the accompanying rice and beans, which are reheated and tasteless. The saving grace is their house salsa; though we were only served one kind instead of the two promised on the menu, it was so delicious—with a freshness that balanced the spicy hotness—we even asked for refills. Finally, in addition to the free salsa, we can say that our meal at El Gordo's reminded us of our trips to Mexico in another way—or at least it did the next morning. Ever heard of Montezuma's revenge? Open daily 5pm-late. BB-BBB

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been several long threads on this topic. The consensus is that Senor Pico's in the Rembrandt and Coyotes on Convent are probably the best sit-down (family style) Mexican restaurants in BKK. Sunrise on Suk near Soi 12 is probably the closest thing to a good taqueria. None of them are outstanding, but it is about the best you're going to get in BKK. The best Mexican food I've had, I make myself, as most of the ingredients, and a few good substitutes, can be found at Villa and Foodland.

Where do you lived ? :D

I worked in restaurants for 12 years in California. I had an offer to attend Le Cordon Bleu in Paris, but chose another career path. I have traveled extensively through Mexico and the southwest U.S. I've had great Mexican food, but I can cook better than just about any restaurant. The Mexican restaurants in BKK pale in comparison to the restaurants I have been to in other parts of the world.

So when are you going to have some of your very best TV friends come over? :o (I say that is jest, but wistfully in jest!)

My US home is in San Diego, and while I am an accomplished cook (not as accomplished as you seem to be) my Mexican is limited to great guac and pretty good carne asada (my secret is adding mushrooms and onions sauted in tequila as a garnish.) I can't do carnitas, fajitas, mole, or whatever.

In my experience Thailand restaurant reviews are useless because they give everyone a good review

Saw this review the other day by Bk Magazine. Don't think you could have a more negative review on a Mexican restaurant or any restaurant for that matter. I ate there five years ago and remember it to be bad but it seems it has gotten even worse.

http://www.bkmagazine.com/review/el-gordo-s-cantina

El Gordo's Cantina: El Gordo's Cantina

by BK Editorial on June 26, 2008 - 10:10am <H3 class=rating>Rating: 1/5</H3><H3 class=price>Price: BB-BBB</H3><H3 class=reviewed-place>The place: El Gordo's Cantina</H3>

• <LI class=english>30/8 Silom Soi 8 <LI class=thai>30/8 สีลม ซอย 8 <LI class=phone>Phone: 02-237-1415, 02-234-5470
  • Daily 5pm-late

El Gordo's Cantina

Mexican. 30/8 Silom Soi 8, 02-237-1415, 02-234-5470

One of a dying, but not yet dead, breed, El Gordo's predates Bangkok's new wave of Mexican restaurants by two decades. Unfortunately, it looks like it. The décor is tired, the menu features items they don't serve and the place is understandably often empty in the evening. We suspect it survives only because it doubles as a noodle shop. Seriously: day and night, you can order a bowl with your taco or burrito. Just don't try to order one with a taco or burrito containing pork, or with a bowl of guacamole, because chances are they won't have these items, as we discovered on a recent visit. And we'd advise you to order a standard margarita instead of a supposedly premium "Cadillac" (B150)—the pitchers (B800) are generous in size and the drinks are freshly made, but they taste mostly of overly bitter Thai limes and not top-shelf alcohol as they should. The atmosphere at El Gordo's is surreal, with its aging, kitschy sombreros and other clichéd wall hangings and live music performed by a singer-guitarist who snuck in and started playing Latin hits and "oldies" favorites while we were looking through the menu. The food, like the setting, is so old school it's almost funny. The "Tex-Mex" appetizer plate (B220) is a medley in shades of brown. It contains two kinds of nachos, one with thick but slightly stale corn chips and one made with flour tortillas, and a soggy quesadilla that tasted like bland spring roll wrappers. For mains, there are also several combination platters, the biggest of which is "El Gordo's Supremo: The Mount Everest of Food (B445)," which is thankfully more horizontal than vertical. You get a choice of chicken, beef or pork (if they have it); they do a better job with minced meat than shredded, but in general the fillings are salty but not seasoned in any distinctive way. If we had to recommend one of the items it would be the deep-fried chimichanga, but don't bother with the accompanying rice and beans, which are reheated and tasteless. The saving grace is their house salsa; though we were only served one kind instead of the two promised on the menu, it was so delicious—with a freshness that balanced the spicy hotness—we even asked for refills. Finally, in addition to the free salsa, we can say that our meal at El Gordo's reminded us of our trips to Mexico in another way—or at least it did the next morning. Ever heard of Montezuma's revenge? Open daily 5pm-late. BB-BBB

It actually was OK 20 years ago when I first came to Thailand. They even shipped a Mexican cook over to locate the best ingredients and teach the Thai cooks. Tex Mex - which is not my favorite - but not bad for that time. :o

There have been several long threads on this topic. The consensus is that Senor Pico's in the Rembrandt and Coyotes on Convent are probably the best sit-down (family style) Mexican restaurants in BKK. Sunrise on Suk near Soi 12 is probably the closest thing to a good taqueria. None of them are outstanding, but it is about the best you're going to get in BKK. The best Mexican food I've had, I make myself, as most of the ingredients, and a few good substitutes, can be found at Villa and Foodland.

I worked in restaurants for 12 years in California. I had an offer to attend Le Cordon Bleu in Paris, but chose another career path. I have traveled extensively through Mexico and the southwest U.S. I've had great Mexican food, but I can cook better than just about any restaurant. The Mexican restaurants in BKK pale in comparison to the restaurants I have been to in other parts of the world.

So when are you going to have some of your very best TV friends come over? :o (I say that is jest, but wistfully in jest!)

My US home is in San Diego, and while I am an accomplished cook (not as accomplished as you seem to be) my Mexican is limited to great guac and pretty good carne asada (my secret is adding mushrooms and onions sauted in tequila as a garnish.) I can't do carnitas, fajitas, mole, or whatever.

Last week, I put on an Italian dinner for 20 people. Caesar salad, antipasto, garlic bread, spaghetti with meatballs, Italian sausage (thanks to EuroGourmet for the great sausage), eggplant parmesan, tropical fruit salad and mango ice cream. Sorry I didn't get pics, but this was 2 days of cooking and I was too beat to snap pics.

Last week, I put on an Italian dinner for 20 people. Caesar salad, antipasto, garlic bread, spaghetti with meatballs, Italian sausage (thanks to EuroGourmet for the great sausage), eggplant parmesan, tropical fruit salad and mango ice cream. Sorry I didn't get pics, but this was 2 days of cooking and I was too beat to snap pics.

I asked zaphodbeeblebrox earlier Where do you lived ? , I guess zaphodbeeblebrox won't tell us.

bonobo you lived in San Diego have you ever go to Tijuana to have some Mexican food down there.

I use to lived in San Diego for about 3 years, many many years ago, got 5 tacos for $ 1.00 :D

I asked zaphodbeeblebrox earlier Where do you lived ? , I guess zaphodbeeblebrox won't tell us.

bonobo you lived in San Diego have you ever go to Tijuana to have some Mexican food down there.

I use to lived in San Diego for about 3 years, many many years ago, got 5 tacos for $ 1.00 :D

Los Angeles, San Francisco, Hawaii, Las Vegas, and now, Rayong.

My home in San Diego is about 40 miles from Mexico, but when I am down south for some reason, or when I ahve visitors, I alwasy hop over the border to eat. I like some of the better restaurants, but I also like the 3 for a dollar tacos! Carne asada, carnitas, and al pastor are my favs!

Now you can all scream and holler and accuse me of being a troll, but I quite enjoy the Mexican food at the food court in Emporium. No, it's not great, and probably not worth making a special trip for, but when going there shopping or to a movie, it's quick, easy, inexpensive and a nice treat.

that would be sunrise tacos

Miguel's Mexican Cafe in Chiang Mai is the only good, authentic Mexican food I have had in 20 years - that includes all South East Asia, Australia and Singapore.

The other night we were eating Mexican food at the Duke's and his best buddy started talking about how Miguel's Mexican Cafe is just like the Mexican food in Southern California and I responded that it would fit right in in Northern California as well. It is full of missionaries, military types, rednecks and other true Americans all year round - even during low season.

I am most thankful they are in town! :o

Yeah, this is about right. I grew up eating Tex-Mex in and around Houston, Texas (where we invented it) and it's one of the things I really miss about home sometimes - it just does not translate well to most of Asia for some reason. That being said, in Bangkok, Senor Pico's is the closest thing to a real sit down Mexican joint back in Houston. It's not spot on authentic, but it's as close as it gets and even the silly dress and decorations are pretty dam_n close to the real deal. Miguel's, however, is the best I've found in Asia. Of course I haven't been everywhere, but I've tried Tex Mex (Cal Mex in their case, bleh) joints in ciites in at least 5 or 6 different countries around here and it's the best I've stumbled upon (which doesn't mean there's not something I don't know about). I've even flown to Chiang Mai for the weekend largely to eat there - it's that good. Of course a couple of us having set it up to be so good means that it can't ever meet those expectations, heh.

I guess on a side note it's worth saying that specific places do specific things well. The flour tortillas are good at Sunrise and the tacos are about as good as something at Taco Cabana - though the meat isn't seasoned authentically and that eats into the experience. The quesadillas at Great American Rib Co. are spot on, real Tex Mex flavor. The nachos at Great American Rib Co. are pretty good too, but mostly because they use the chili as the base, heh. Coyote nachos aren't bad either, but I wince at any place that I have to say, "And hold the Goddamn olives, I'm not from California." Still, once you have them take off the nonsense ingredients they're not bad. I've grown to like the Sunrise nachos as well - the bean and cheese ones anyhow. The seasoning of the meat renders the meat-ful versions too inauthentic. The meat at Sunrise could be good, really, but it's just not Southwestern enough and needs more cumin and the like. I assume this is to cater to the Thai palate.

Anyhow, yeah, Miguel's.

EDIT: Of course being a polite farang, I do not actually say, "hold the Goddamn olives" but I would in Texas if someone tried putting them on nachos and I think I'd be legally covered if I were to shoot them as well.

I guess you haven't eaten much Mexican food in Mexico pal, as they use olives there.................

And as for tex-mex nacho cheese, 90% of the time it's the plastic stuff that comes in the big blocks, complete crap.

I have family in Texas.

I can only remember seeing olives regularly in one dish in Mexico when I lived there, huachinango a la veracruzana. Otherwise pretty rare.

Most of what Americans think is Mexican food - and this goes for Texas, Calif and any other border state you care to name - is actually snack/street food (antojitos, 'little whims'), not main Mexican dishes. The average comida corrida (fixed-price menu meal) in Mexico contains not a single taco, enchilada or burrito.

El Gordo's is the only restaurant in recent memory we actually got up and leftin the middle of the meal (paid the bill of course), the food was inedible.

I like Taco Loco, but then I thought Taco Bell was the best fast food in the US. Taco Loco is owned and somewhat run (when he is not playing NBA basketball on his play station) by a Thai - US-Mexican guy.

TH

I can only remember seeing olives regularly in one dish in Mexico when I lived there, huachinango a la veracruzana. Otherwise pretty rare.

Most of what Americans think is Mexican food - and this goes for Texas, Calif and any other border state you care to name - is actually snack/street food (antojitos, 'little whims'), not main Mexican dishes. The average comida corrida (fixed-price menu meal) in Mexico contains not a single taco, enchilada or burrito.

I'll tend to disagree, Mexico City Restaurants:

Focolare (Mexico City)

Hamburgo 87 @ Copenhague, Zona Rosa

207-8055

rating.jpgrating.jpgFocolare (rhymes with "Volare," that 50s croon which made 'em swoon) is nothing if not festive, a riot of color from top to bottom. Focolare's menu accents the cuisine of various regions of the republic, namely Yucatan, Oaxaca and Veracruz. Mexican foodies are quick to point out that some of their country's tastiest fare comes from Oaxaca and Veracruz, so with that in mind, start with the nopales en escabeche, succulent chunks of cactus (minus the needles) sauteed in garlic, onion and olive oil. Continue with the filete de pescado a la Veracruzana, snapper in a sauce flavored with tomatoes, onions, olives and chiles, or the cochinita pibil, the classic dish of the Yucatan, a hunk of pork in a zesty marinade infused with spicy chiles and bitter oranges. Top your meal off with the arroz con leche, a lemony rice pudding. Breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Cafe de Tacuba

Tacuba 28 @ Bolivar, Downtown

518-4950

rating.jpgrating.jpg This restaurant was opened in 1912, which means it has a bit of history. Sure, well-known politicians, businessmen and celebrities have been making the rounds for years, but unfortunately, one never made it out the door. In 1936, a prominent politico was murdered at table #1. I'm sure the argument that led up to this event was not over food, because that has been the hallmark, and a good one, of the Cafe de Tacuba for many years. Situated in a 17th-century manse, the restaurant, with its vaulted, whitewashed ceiling and ornate tilework, is more reminiscent of a chapel. Rows of linen-covered tables fill the two main dining rooms. The food is traditional Mexican fare and includes a variety of enchiladas along with fresh seafood dishes. Try the enchiladas Tacuba,which are stuffed with chicken and chile poblano and topped with a creamy spinach sauce. Or perhaps the pollo especial Tacuba, a breast of chicken covered with fiery rajas, one of the spiciest chiles around. The Cafe de Tacuba is a safe bet, in every sense of the word.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Bar Jorongo

Maria Isabel Sheraton

Paseo de la Reforma 325 , Zona Rosa

207-3933

rating.jpgrating.jpg

The Bar Jorongo is somewhat of an institution in Mexico City.,While you're here, crunchy tacos de pollo (chicken tacos), a pepito ranchero (steak sandwich) or the burritas

for a while i thought sunrise was ok, but not anymore.

they just love to serve their nachos like its a soupy dish.

they need some real mexicans not just thais who wwear silly hats.....lol.

Do you often confuse Thai with filipino?

Mexican food threads (of which there are many) always descend into a battle about who knows what real Mexican food is. "I lived in Texas and am an excellent cook," "I lived in San Diego and can make killer guacamole", "I lived in Tijuana and make awesome fish tacos", "I used to watch Speedy Gonzalez cartoons and get heartburn a lot."

At the end of the day, it's just beans and mince dressed up.

PS, I lived in Bradford and can cook Pop Tarts

Mexican food threads (of which there are many) always descend into a battle about who knows what real Mexican food is. "I lived in Texas and am an excellent cook," "I lived in San Diego and can make killer guacamole", "I lived in Tijuana and make awesome fish tacos", "I used to watch Speedy Gonzalez cartoons and get heartburn a lot."

At the end of the day, it's just beans and mince dressed up.

PS, I lived in Bradford and can cook Pop Tarts

While not quite as diverse as Chinese, Mexican food comes in many different styles. The food from Michocan is different from DF is different from Yucatan is different from Baja.

I live in San Diego, and yes, I do like the types of Mexican food available there (yes I love the guac and the fish tacos.) I am not as fond of the TexMex or actual Mexican food available in El Paso. I kind of like the Chiapas foods, but not the Yucatan as much. But so what? I also like Szehwan better than Cantonese, Tuscan food better than Roman, Dijon better than Norman. I am sure there are others who will like just the opposite.

I am not as fond of the TexMex or actual Mexican food available in El Paso.

I am not that fond of Tex Mex either. I agree that the Mexican food in El Paso is mediocre. However, some of the best Chile Rellenos I have ever had were served up in El Paso.

My home in San Diego is about 40 miles from Mexico, but when I am down south for some reason, or when I ahve visitors, I alwasy hop over the border to eat. I like some of the better restaurants, but I also like the 3 for a dollar tacos! Carne asada, carnitas, and al pastor are my favs!

Tacos Al Pastor ......... mmmmmmmmmmmm!

pastor2.jpg

830693738_fa519d4f08.jpg

Do stay on topic girlx!

The best Pop Tarts available are those I make myself - smothered with guacamole AND olives. If you've ever been to Eldorado, you'll know what I mean.

Forget El Dorado, what about Triangle?

Do stay on topic girlx!

The best Pop Tarts available are those I make myself - smothered with guacamole AND olives. If you've ever been to Eldorado, you'll know what I mean.

girlx miss pop tarts! I think she is talking about the pop tarts (snack) that you put in the toaster.

polecat you smothered with guacamole and olives. :o I've never been to Eldorado, I have no idea what are you talking about.

Does anyone have any idea what polecat is talking about?

I am not as fond of the TexMex or actual Mexican food available in El Paso.

I am not that fond of Tex Mex either. I agree that the Mexican food in El Paso is mediocre. However, some of the best Chile Rellenos I have ever had were served up in El Paso.

Tacos Al Pastor ......... mmmmmmmmmmmm!

pastor2.jpg

830693738_fa519d4f08.jpg

I will kindly ask you not to show photos like these before I have eaten!!!!! NowI will be at the gym thinking about these for the next few hours.

Well, I leave tonight on a business trip back to the US, so I can have some in say, 36 hours or so!

:o

I'll tend to disagree, Mexico City Restaurants:

Focolare (Mexico City)

Hamburgo 87 @ Copenhague, Zona Rosa

207-8055

rating.jpgrating.jpgFocolare (rhymes with "Volare," that 50s croon which made 'em swoon) is nothing if not festive, a riot of color from top to bottom. Focolare's menu accents the cuisine of various regions of the republic, namely Yucatan, Oaxaca and Veracruz. Mexican foodies are quick to point out that some of their country's tastiest fare comes from Oaxaca and Veracruz, so with that in mind, start with the nopales en escabeche, succulent chunks of cactus (minus the needles) sauteed in garlic, onion and olive oil. Continue with the filete de pescado a la Veracruzana, snapper in a sauce flavored with tomatoes, onions, olives and chiles, or the cochinita pibil, the classic dish of the Yucatan, a hunk of pork in a zesty marinade infused with spicy chiles and bitter oranges. Top your meal off with the arroz con leche, a lemony rice pudding. Breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Cafe de Tacuba

Tacuba 28 @ Bolivar, Downtown

518-4950

rating.jpgrating.jpg This restaurant was opened in 1912, which means it has a bit of history. Sure, well-known politicians, businessmen and celebrities have been making the rounds for years, but unfortunately, one never made it out the door. In 1936, a prominent politico was murdered at table #1. I'm sure the argument that led up to this event was not over food, because that has been the hallmark, and a good one, of the Cafe de Tacuba for many years. Situated in a 17th-century manse, the restaurant, with its vaulted, whitewashed ceiling and ornate tilework, is more reminiscent of a chapel. Rows of linen-covered tables fill the two main dining rooms. The food is traditional Mexican fare and includes a variety of enchiladas along with fresh seafood dishes. Try the enchiladas Tacuba,which are stuffed with chicken and chile poblano and topped with a creamy spinach sauce. Or perhaps the pollo especial Tacuba, a breast of chicken covered with fiery rajas, one of the spiciest chiles around. The Cafe de Tacuba is a safe bet, in every sense of the word.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Bar Jorongo

Maria Isabel Sheraton

Paseo de la Reforma 325 , Zona Rosa

207-3933

rating.jpgrating.jpg

The Bar Jorongo is somewhat of an institution in Mexico City.,While you're here, crunchy tacos de pollo (chicken tacos), a pepito ranchero (steak sandwich) or the burritas

None of the above are comidas corridas, sorry hombre. I lived in Mexico for 10 years and can assure you that neither tacos nor enchiladas are common in the average comida corrida. I'm sure you can find plenty of counter-examples on the Internet. But not so many in Mexico :o They are served in abundance as street food/snacks. But never as main courses. They're typically found on a separate section of the menu, 'Antojitos' (appetizers, 'little whims').

The fact that your examples are pulled from an American website (Sally's Place) accounts for much, as Americans are more focused on antojitos than Mexicans are, at least when it comes to full meals.

As for your olive example, look closely: a la veracruzana (same as mine, just a different fish). It's a style of cooking and one of the few common recipes that uses olives. Ceviches - raw fish salads - in coastal areas of Guerrero also use olives (though most Mexican ceviches don't). I've also seen them in tamales from olive-growing regions of northern Baja California.

Do stay on topic girlx!

girlx miss pop tarts! I think she is talking about the pop tarts (snack) that you put in the toaster.

polecat you smothered with guacamole and olives. :o I've never been to Eldorado, I have no idea what are you talking about.

Does anyone have any idea what polecat is talking about?

Everyone but you, apparently. Do try to keep up at the back!

• 1 month later...

A friend ordered delivery from Sunrise Tacos last week and I tried one of their burritos. The one they ordered for me had ground beef, salsa, cheese, avocado and various other ingredients (I asked them to hold the beans). It was excellent, everything tasted fresh – including the avocado, which can be terrible at Mexican restos in Thailand – and best of all it was very spicy. The burrito was huge, in the American style, easily the size of 6 Mexican burritos (burritos in Mexico – found only in Baja California and Sonora for the most part, except in gringo haunts – are typically quite small and come in threes). Delicious.