Mexican Food In Bkk

GaiYaang

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get my Mexican food fix at Bourbon Street Restaurant Bar all you can eat buffet on Tuesdays. Its located off Sukhumvit Soi 22 in Washington Square. Another great place with maybe the best Mexican food in town is Senor Pico Restaurant located in the Rembrandt Hotel. Its not cheap but worth it when out with friends for night of fine dining.

You will get many opinions on Mexican/Tex Mex in Thailand. One common theme you will find is there not any place real good. This is pretty much true of all of Asia. Just doesn’t seem to translate well.

We go to Coyotes on Convent. Senor Picos is probably the most authentic, but that is not saying much.

:o

TH

There have been several long threads on this topic. The consensus is that Senor Pico's in the Rembrandt and Coyotes on Convent are probably the best sit-down (family style) Mexican restaurants in BKK. Sunrise on Suk near Soi 12 is probably the closest thing to a good taqueria. None of them are outstanding, but it is about the best you're going to get in BKK. The best Mexican food I've had, I make myself, as most of the ingredients, and a few good substitutes, can be found at Villa and Foodland.

I love Mexican food but most of it really sucks in Thailand... I have tried a few places and the only one I feel is any good is Charley Brown's on Suk Soi 11.

Having tried most in BKK, I'd have to agree and say that Charley Browns has been the best food and overall value.

Great host, good service, cold Carona's, great fresh chips and salsa and good sized portions...overall good experience.

I second Coyote

hm i think Coyote has horrible, overpriced food... but i only tried a couple of things there. i will try bourbon st. next....

You're absolutely right girlx, the Mexican food at Coyote is awful. Don't waste your time or money at Bourbon Street, Charlie Browns, or Senior Pico's either. I've tried them all and they all s#*k. Zaphodbeeblebrox is correct in stating that this subject has been discussed many times before on this forum and the general concensus is that unfortunately, there is no such thing as good Mexican food in Bangkok. Sunrise Tacos are not bad "for Bangkok" but would not be considered good in anywhere where Mexican food is common.

Patty Fiesta is also decent. Really nice and entertaining staff. My biggest complaint with Señor Pico is the loud liveband which makes it impossible to talk if you sit to close to them. Burbon is best for delivery.

I second Coyote

hm i think Coyote has horrible, overpriced food... but i only tried a couple of things there. i will try bourbon st. next....

You're absolutely right girlx, the Mexican food at Coyote is awful. Don't waste your time or money at Bourbon Street, Charlie Browns, or Senior Pico's either. I've tried them all and they all s#*k. Zaphodbeeblebrox is correct in stating that this subject has been discussed many times before on this forum and the general concensus is that unfortunately, there is no such thing as good Mexican food in Bangkok. Sunrise Tacos are not bad "for Bangkok" but would not be considered good in anywhere where Mexican food is common.

Miguel's Mexican Cafe in Chiang Mai is the only good, authentic Mexican food I have had in 20 years - that includes all South East Asia, Australia and Singapore.

The other night we were eating Mexican food at the Duke's and his best buddy started talking about how Miguel's Mexican Cafe is just like the Mexican food in Southern California and I responded that it would fit right in in Northern California as well. It is full of missionaries, military types, rednecks and other true Americans all year round - even during low season.

I am most thankful they are in town! :o

There have been several long threads on this topic. The consensus is that Senor Pico's in the Rembrandt and Coyotes on Convent are probably the best sit-down (family style) Mexican restaurants in BKK. Sunrise on Suk near Soi 12 is probably the closest thing to a good taqueria. None of them are outstanding, but it is about the best you're going to get in BKK. The best Mexican food I've had, I make myself, as most of the ingredients, and a few good substitutes, can be found at Villa and Foodland.

Where do you lived ? :D

I love Mexican food but most of it really sucks in Thailand... I have tried a few places and the only one I feel is any good is Charley Brown's on Suk Soi 11.

LOL, thanks girlx, nice to know and being ohnest.

Thanks everyone for very helpful info, don't know where everything are at right now. I will be in BKK next month and check it out.

Thanks so much. :o

Where do you lived ? :o

I worked in restaurants for 12 years in California. I had an offer to attend Le Cordon Bleu in Paris, but chose another career path. I have traveled extensively through Mexico and the southwest U.S. I've had great Mexican food, but I can cook better than just about any restaurant. The Mexican restaurants in BKK pale in comparison to the restaurants I have been to in other parts of the world.

Looking for Mexican food in BKK, which one have you tried and recommended.

Thank You. :o

A recent review of Mexican food in Bkk by Bk Magazine

http://www.bkmagazine.com/feature/happy-cinco-de-mayo

Break out the sombreros for a Mexican fiesta. By Stephanie Roy, photography by Badre Mammar and Kosit Pattaranukul

Cinco de Mayo (May 5) is the unofficial holiday that celebrates Mexican culture, heritage and pride. A variety of amazing food, Coronas and margaritas are set to hit Bangkok for the occasion so we’ve decided to search for the Mexican dining experiences that our city has to offer.

Bourbon Street Bar & Restaurant

Washington Square, 29/4-6 Sukhumvit Soi 22, 02-259-0328/9. Open daily 7am-1am.

THE SETTING

The French Quarter of New Orleans with the essential Mardi Gras mask and beads, pictures of legendary jazz musicians and classic rock and jazz coming from the speakers. A multicolored restaurant that specializes in Cajun Creole cuisine.

THE SELECTION

Tuesday is Mexican buffet night. For B270 diners can stuff themselves silly on a fusion of Mexican and Cajun eats like zucchini stuffed quesadillas and refried beans with bacon.

THE VERDICT

If you’re looking to put on your eating pants and gorge yourself on Mexican food with a spin and a slightly generic appeal then coming here and slapping down almost B300 is an OK way to spend a Tuesday night.

Charlie Brown’s Mexican

1/23 Sukhumvit Soi 11, 02-651-2215. Open Tue-Sun 5:30pm-midnight.

THE SETTING

An all-American theme resembling something

out of a Clint Eastwood western film. From the hubcaps of classic cars on the ceilings to a collection of license plates lining the wall, all this classic memorabilia can be a bit underwhelming.

THE SELECTION

The menu offers a variety of non-vegetarian, vegetarian, and low fat selections. Start your meal off with appetizers like the nachos supreme (B180) followed up by an entrée like the enchiladas (B230-285). Sides and extras, such as Spanish rice, are B15-75.

THE VERDICT

From the chili burrito supreme (B285) to the Mexican beef burger (B300), this is a good meeting place for Tex/Mex aficionados—but be warned of the children’s menu and toys, which account for a very familial atmosphere on weekends.

Senor Pico

1/F, Rembrandt Hotel, 19 Sukhumvit Soi 18, 02-261-7100. Open daily 5pm-1am.

THE SETTING

A high end Mexican/Latin dining experience with live Cuban salsa band, terra cotta clay fixtures, decorations of Aztec and Mayan masks, and vibrantly colored tapestries from floor to ceiling, which all contribute to an atmosphere that is so alive you can’t decide whether to eat or dance.

THE SELECTION

An extensive drink menu offering four varieties of tequila, margaritas and several “tequila concoctions” at B160-B280. From the grilled beef fajitas (B470) to the marinated chicken skewers (Brazilian style, B290), diners can sample not only traditional Mexican food but other Latin-inspired cuisines as well.

THE VERDICT

If mouth-watering dishes, an atmosphere with a heartbeat and a pulse, rhythm, spice and a dance floor all appeal to you, this is your first choice. Prices are more expensive than other venues around the city but, hey, who said quality was cheap?

Patty’s Fiesta Mexican Pub & Restaurant

109-111 Silom Soi 1, 02-632-8961. Open daily 11am-1am.

THE SETTING

Senorita Patty has it all figured out. Every square inch of this two-story eatery is covered in authentic Mexican memorabilia such as flags, coins, tapestries, and pictures of old Yucatan families. Finishing touches are the lime-green walls and glued mosaic chips on the countertops.

THE SELECTION

The menu is a bit eccentric. Starting out with one-two-punch cocktails and margaritas at B160-220, phasing into classic entrees like enchiladas (B320) and burritos (B290), but ending with a very Thai/miscellaneous twist with deep fried sea-bass (B500) and grilled pork (B380).

THE VERDICT

The food takes a detour from authenticity and instead arrives at something more suitable for the Thai palate (the salsa tastes a lot like sweet chili sauce). But what this place lacks in taste, it more than makes up for in cocktails and ambiance.

Coyote on Convent

Sivadon Bldg., 1/2 Soi Convent, Silom Rd., 02-631-2324. Open daily 11am-1am. Also try Sukhumvit branch (02-662-3838).

THE SETTING

A very styled and polished margarita bar offering a trendier and more contemporary twist on a classic Mexican decor as sponge-painted orange walls, dark wood ceiling beams, and purposely tarnished light fixtures and masks run from floor to ceiling.

THE SELECTION

The drink menu is overwhelming with over 75 flavors of margaritas including the Fruit Margaritas (B195/glass) and the head spinning Patron Margaritas (B490-625/glass). Tex-Mex delights like the BBQ Chicken Diablo (B475) only complement the drink selection.

THE VERDICT

With the average dish over B300 and cocktails over B175, this is not an inexpensive

night out. However, margaritas are made with top-notch ingredients and the food is bold and extremely flavorful. Quality doesn’t come cheap.

Sunrise Tacos

236/3-4 Sukhumvit Rd., between Soi 12 and 14, 02-229-4851. Open daily 24/7. Also try 5/F, Emporium Park Food Hall and G/F, Siam Paragon Gourmet Market.

THE SETTING

Two choices, one plaza. No time to dine? Go lunch counter style. Prefer to sit, eat, and sip margaritas? Opt for the dine-in restaurant. Either way, dishes made with fresh ingredients are prepared in front of you, anyway you like it, 24 hours a day.

THE SELECTION

Over five choices of meat and salsas and an array of toppings to create a personalized burrito (B139), taco (B49), chimichanga (B168) or any other combination in mind. Just be sure to top it off with the best guacamole this side of the Pacific.

THE VERDICT

Excellent food combined with fair prices, make for the best deal in town. Whether on your lunch break or staggering home after a night of partying, stop in anytime. Besides, what tastes better than a burrito at 3am after an all night club-a-thon?

Taco Loco

1/F, J City Bldg., 64 Silom Rd., 08-6562-8391. Open Mon-Sat 11am-10pm.

THE SETTING

In a not so aesthetically pleasing food court is this lunch counter that seats about six. Not exactly fine dining but more of a lunch-time spot for those needing to get in and get out as food is prepared fast and in front of you.

THE SELECTION

The menu has roughly 10 staple Tex-Mex/Mexican quick bites. Choose from four Loco Special Sets, all under B199 and get a combination of items like hard/soft taco (B59), burrito (B89), quesadillas (B89), nachos (B89), chips & salsa, Spanish rice, or refried beans (all B55).

THE VERDICT

The cheapest spot in town. Ingredients are fresh (salsa and Spanish rice made daily), service is fast, and other than the carrots in the burrito, the taste is pretty believable. It could compete with any other fast food Mexican joint in downtown Los Angeles.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

I stick by my comments.

I tried Sunrise Tacos one. Doubt I would ever go back.

If you want good Mexican at a fair price hit Bourbon Street on Tues evening.

Try the fajitas at Charlie Brown. Great place to take out of town guests.

Taco Loco is about equal to Taco Bell.

Now you can all scream and holler and accuse me of being a troll, but I quite enjoy the Mexican food at the food court in Emporium. No, it's not great, and probably not worth making a special trip for, but when going there shopping or to a movie, it's quick, easy, inexpensive and a nice treat.

Now you can all scream and holler and accuse me of being a troll, but I quite enjoy the Mexican food at the food court in Emporium. No, it's not great, and probably not worth making a special trip for, but when going there shopping or to a movie, it's quick, easy, inexpensive and a nice treat.

If you want a real adventure, of sorts, check out the  Tex-Mex Restaurant in Vientiane about 2-3 blocks upstream from the Lane Xang Hotel, right on the river.  My  several American friends there refuse to join me for dinner when I'm in town, even tho I try to explain to them that it's not the food, it's the ambiance that wins the day.  Eat upstairs for the view, and the Tex-Mex food along with  Beer Lao, a winning combo.

Mac

post-32650-1214057931_thumb.jpg

Miguel's Mexican Cafe in Chiang Mai is the only good, authentic Mexican food I have had in 20 years - that includes all South East Asia, Australia and Singapore.

The other night we were eating Mexican food at the Duke's and his best buddy started talking about how Miguel's Mexican Cafe is just like the Mexican food in Southern California and I responded that it would fit right in in Northern California as well. It is full of missionaries, military types, rednecks and other true Americans all year round - even during low season.

I am most thankful they are in town! :o

Yeah, this is about right. I grew up eating Tex-Mex in and around Houston, Texas (where we invented it) and it's one of the things I really miss about home sometimes - it just does not translate well to most of Asia for some reason. That being said, in Bangkok, Senor Pico's is the closest thing to a real sit down Mexican joint back in Houston. It's not spot on authentic, but it's as close as it gets and even the silly dress and decorations are pretty dam_n close to the real deal. Miguel's, however, is the best I've found in Asia. Of course I haven't been everywhere, but I've tried Tex Mex (Cal Mex in their case, bleh) joints in ciites in at least 5 or 6 different countries around here and it's the best I've stumbled upon (which doesn't mean there's not something I don't know about). I've even flown to Chiang Mai for the weekend largely to eat there - it's that good. Of course a couple of us having set it up to be so good means that it can't ever meet those expectations, heh.

I guess on a side note it's worth saying that specific places do specific things well. The flour tortillas are good at Sunrise and the tacos are about as good as something at Taco Cabana - though the meat isn't seasoned authentically and that eats into the experience. The quesadillas at Great American Rib Co. are spot on, real Tex Mex flavor. The nachos at Great American Rib Co. are pretty good too, but mostly because they use the chili as the base, heh. Coyote nachos aren't bad either, but I wince at any place that I have to say, "And hold the Goddamn olives, I'm not from California." Still, once you have them take off the nonsense ingredients they're not bad. I've grown to like the Sunrise nachos as well - the bean and cheese ones anyhow. The seasoning of the meat renders the meat-ful versions too inauthentic. The meat at Sunrise could be good, really, but it's just not Southwestern enough and needs more cumin and the like. I assume this is to cater to the Thai palate.

Anyhow, yeah, Miguel's.

EDIT: Of course being a polite farang, I do not actually say, "hold the Goddamn olives" but I would in Texas if someone tried putting them on nachos and I think I'd be legally covered if I were to shoot them as well.

Edited by on-on

Looking for Mexican food in BKK, which one have you tried and recommended.

Thank You. :o

A recent review of Mexican food in Bkk by Bk Magazine

http://www.bkmagazine.com/feature/happy-cinco-de-mayo

Strange that they gave Taco Loco a positive write-up, it's pretty grim in my opinion (though cheap). Sunrise Tacos does much better in this department. For posh Mexican, Coyote's good I think. Friday all you can eat buffet for 300 Baht is a good deal, and food's excellent.

Strange that they gave Taco Loco a positive write-up, it's pretty grim in my opinion (though cheap).

In my experience Thailand restaurant reviews are useless because they give everyone a good review.

Though I think Taco Loco is decent Taco Bell style food and I eat there often when in Silom, though it'd be nice if they were open later. As for the others in Bangkok, the best are Sunrise Taco and Mexican Tartars in Khao San Road. Coyote is ok but is way overpriced, but that's too be expected given that its in Silom right across from Patpong. Bourbon Street is a great deal on Tuesday when they have their buffet, but is not worth considering for Mexican the rest of the week. Haven't tried Charlie Brown's yet. The best Mexican I've had in Thailand though is Miguel's in Chiang Mai, by far. There's also a really good taqueria at the night market in Hua Hin, can't remember the name of it though.

Ilyushin's "La Casa" home cooked Mexican food. I have dined at all the Mexican places and not a one passes the test. Lots of fun cooking Mexican food and have folks over to eat together as long as they clean the mess. Lots of fun drinking some cold beers and cooking the food from scratch.

Check the search forum for other threads on the great Mexican Food quest.

Silver Dollar has fair Tex Mex just inside Washington Square near Bourbon Street (BS). Made the mistake once with BS. I wouldn't give BS my business even if they did have fantastic Mex food. Dug and company :o

Happy dinning!

:D

Edited by ilyushin

In my experience Thailand restaurant reviews are useless because they give everyone a good review.

I guess you don't read the Bangkok Post, BK or Guru then. Each of these carry negative reviews.

Many other publications (around the world) don't carry reviews if they're negative for a few reasons. One is the idea that you shouldn't put people's livelihoods at risk on the basis of what might have been an off night. Another is that space shouldn't be filled with bad reviews when there are other places to actually recommend. Yet another is that many publications only want to recommend the very best places to its readers.

The same applies to all kinds of reviewing.

Of course, there are also the publications who only review their advertisers, but that's a different story.

I am leaving for San Diego on business tomorrow, and my first stop will be at El Ranchito for good Mexican food. I would kill for even adequate Mexican food in Bangkok, but like some of the other posters here, I sure haven't found any.

My Thai freinds often accompany me on trips back to the US, and when we eat Mexican, they never have seemed to liek ti much. Despite the spicyness of some of the food, I guess there isn't a congruence on tastes.