Security Tightens At Government House To Block Anti-govt Protesters

george

What is going on... it seems like there is protesting but on this forum not much activity only chit chat and nothing serious, what is going on ? Am I missing something on another link or are you lot just apathetic ... a genuine question

Edited by Nampeung

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are trying times for all...

Drunken Riot Police Officer Complains to PAD about Lack of Rest

Late last night, a minor chaos broke out at the People’s Alliance for Democracy rally in front of Government House when a drunken riot police in full uniform approached the protesters.

The officer complained to the protesters that he’s been on duty for three consecutive days and misses his family.

Chaos broke out at the People's Alliance for Democracy stage late last night when the protesters spotted a police officer in full riot gear approach the rally. It was later discovered that the officer was intoxicated.

Security volunteers at the PAD rally took the police officer into custody. He’s been identified as Police Sergeant Major Jaras Chaichana of the Plubplachai police station.

The officer was still in his police uniform and equipped with a helmet, baton and a tear gas canister. A security volunteer explained that they had to take the officer into custody because of his apparent intoxication. However, he sympathized with the police officer who’s been on duty for an extended period of time.

Police Sergeant Major Jaras said he did not mean to create chaos or harm the PAD protesters. He admitted that he was drunk and claimed he was driven to drinking because of the stress of watching over the PAD rally for three days and three nights, without any breaks to go home to his family.

The officer said he’s suffering from so much stress that he’s thinking about quitting the police force.

- Thailand Outlook

:D This is one of the many reasons I LOVE it here! No one like the Thais :o

If I was Jamlong or Sonthi I would take yesterday's complaints by parents of nearby schools as a great opportunity to wind down the rally at the present site.

" Having listened to the calls from parents and acutely aware of the need for education we hereby announce our move to ...... ''

If I was Jamlong or Sonthi I would take yesterday's complaints by parents of nearby schools as a great opportunity to wind down the rally at the present site.

" Having listened to the calls from parents and acutely aware of the need for education we hereby announce our move to ...... ''

the outside of Samak's house

What is going on... it seems like there is protesting but on this forum not much activity only chit chat and nothing serious, what is going on ? Am I missing something on another link or are you lot just apathetic ... a genuine question

Yes, good question.............what is going on?............as you seem to have now discovered ASTV and you want more than "chit-chat".......perhaps you could offer us the benefit of your own (serious) views and analysis on the situation, rather than come across as someone with an attitude problem, but nothing of susbtance to say. I for one don't have ASTV and so am glad to learn what it's latest slant on matters is. :D

Challenging and insulting across the board doesn't help your case I should add. ........ a genuine observation. :o

I think Samak already has his plate full. :D

Here's 5 headlines in a row from Nation's front page.

Samak to improve capacity of water reservoirs nationwide

Samak attacks environmentalists who question Govt's plan to siphon water from dam in Laos

Samak urges Medical Council to take action against Malinee

Samak defends paper crane folding during censure debate

Samak says budget bill debate conducted in cordial atmosphere

:o

Hi Plachon, it wasn't insulting, I was surprised that there was so little on the forum as compared to 2006. As far as I can gather from ASTV the protesters are still there in great numbers and good spirits. They look set to stick it out and everything is thus peaceful.

Hi Plachon, it wasn't insulting, I was surprised that there was so little on the forum as compared to 2006. As far as I can gather from ASTV the protesters are still there in great numbers and good spirits. They look set to stick it out and everything is thus peaceful.

The regular posters on this thread can be called many things I'm sure, but "apathetic" is not one adjective that springs to mind in describing them. I'm sure you meant it in good spirit, but adding some opinion or analysis yourself, would I'd imagine help spark more interest. :D

You say they are there in "great numbers" - can you put any sort of figure on that, and how long, realistically, do you think the PAD can stick it out on the streets of BKK before fatigue and dare I say it, apathy, sets in? Having witnessed past marathon protests by AOP, I can vouch that day after day of camping on the concrete and chanting anti-whoever slogans and singing prostest songs eventually gets to the hardest of people. When will the energy start to flag? :o

Hmmm yes Plachon, I worry too that apathy will set in and the protesters will give up. Chamlong's reputation however is one of determination - although he seems to bat for both sides at times so my personal view of him has diminished somewhat over the years. I remember visiting him in front of government house around 15 years ago when he was on hunger strike, I had such admiration for him then. I do still admire him a little but resent the fact that he helped Taksin to powere and therefore don't believe all he says any more.

What do you think of him?

As for numbers, hard to guess but it looked like there were people as far as the eye can see, if you see what I mean?! And there are bands and many speakers saying 'Chai mai pee nong' !!! No, really there are some good, decent speakers. I find Sonthdi a bit ott myself.

Edited by Nampeung

I too have a lot of admiration for Chamlong's spirit and determination over the years, and also saw him fasting and leading the anti-Suchinda demos back in 2002. But underneath it all, he is a politician who will make political and economic decisions for the good of his movement and passion in life - Santi Asoke. He comfortably mixes religion and politics which is good up to a point, but I too lost admiration for him when he took all that money of Thaksin for his cause and I believe, turned a blind eye on Thaksin and TRT's true nature and intent until it was too late. In other words, he should have exposed Toxin's lies and double-speak a lot earlier than he did. So on that front I think we are in agreement.

I know he ran his leadership school out in Kanchanburi, but wonder if it has produced a new generation of free-thinking individuals, prepared to sacrifice for the common good and turn Thailand's political misfortune's around, or whether it was too heavy on the religion and suppressed the worldlywise, rebel instinct? Maybe the success of the PAD so far can be put down to some of his graduates? I don't know, so would be glad for some on-the-scene eye-witness accounts. The ultra-nationalism of the oratory of several leaders, esp. Sonthi, certainly sounds of concern, as Santisuda Ekachai so eloquently expressed recently.

Yes Plachon, I think we are coming from the same point, hence my childish frustration earlier as I too would love some eye witness accounts.

My streaming of ASTV is extremely bad so it takes an hour to get 10 minutes of film! I will keep you posted. My Thai reading skills are not as good as my spoken ones so I'm afraid I don't even know if what I am seeing on ASTV is live. It seems to be and there are still, what looks like, thousands of protestors and speakers discussing the future of Thailand.

I agree that it would be interesting to find out what extent of influence Chamlong has on the PAD supporters and indeed if those from his leadership school are currently involved - I would imagine so.

What level of support from Thammasat Uni do you think there is within the PAD? And how about Santi Asoke - do they practise political involvement as such?

Interesting topic Plachon.

At the moment there is a band on stage singing that great Thai folk song 'Om Phra my poot goh mai cheua' - I think it's 'Even though you have Buddha in your mouth there's no need to belive what he says'.

There's a massive stage with full PA and cartoon like pictures of Thai students with banners around their heads and blood spattered around (guess referring to 1976 and 1992).

In the crowd there are several huge marquees and toilet and eating facilities. The atmosphere is studenty, very political, very proud, chanting 'Ok Bai' and the crowd is very excited and waving banners etc. No lack of energy so far.

Now singing 'Doo Doo Doo man phram' the singer has jumped off stage and is letting the audience sing into the mic 'Tamai mun mai ok bai?'

At the moment there is a band on stage singing that great Thai folk song 'Om Phra my poot goh mai cheua' - I think it's 'Even though you have Buddha in your mouth there's no need to belive what he says'.

There's a massive stage with full PA and cartoon like pictures of Thai students with banners around their heads and blood spattered around (guess referring to 1976 and 1992).

In the crowd there are several huge marquees and toilet and eating facilities. The atmosphere is studenty, very political, very proud, chanting 'Ok Bai' and the crowd is very excited and waving banners etc. No lack of energy so far.

Now singing 'Doo Doo Doo man phram' the singer has jumped off stage and is letting the audience sing into the mic 'Tamai mun mai ok bai?'

I was there Sunday 29th around 2-4 pm with my wife (I am white farang, my wife southern (Nakhon Si Thamarat). I did want to stay there at the evening as I find it improper to attend a demonstration as farang (I wouldn't find it right if Thais demonstrate in my country).

Very friendly people, would say like Thailand 15 years ago. My wife hat a chat here and there, I bought a lot TShirts (In a week or two you can't buy them anymore). Got asked what foreigner think. Chamlongs people offered me food and drinks several times.

my wife took one red drink which they put in cleaned water plastic cups (these cups with water and closed on the top with foil). Taste very good.

somewhere different southerns (well Chumphon semi southern) forced me to try their food.

My wife always friendly to every policemen (nuai mai? Usually not much of an answer), than we passed 3 policemen (Sumo Department (my wife told traffic, but they were extrem fat)). Asking if food taste good as they were just eating.

2 "normal" one and one higher one. Than starting to discuss. The boss just told "the two countries should do together" and than he hide so he can't be blamed from one side.

One policemen (my wife told don't know nothing but agree just disagree a little bit for show) argues a bit but friendly one did not speak much, but also very friendly. some other people came, nice chinese for sure not poor and explained nicely.......

i think as longer it lasts as more the police get infected as well. They are nice, paying them a red bull, smile at them. Come with that "We are Thais together'. "we love the king". When they went to the governments house my wife sit in front of a police man. He made a serious face. She told him "I know you make your job, when you beat me, you maybe can beat a little bit not too hard......" one hour than he smiled and was friendly.

So I think if they can maintain it and government continue to feed it with some stories more and more people will agree.

Just my impression.

didn't Chalerm warn about a bomb at a PAD rally site?

:o

Edited by sriracha john

didn't Chalerm warn about a bomb at a PAD rally site?

:D

How many times have they tried that one on the PAD so far? :o

PAD looks like it has run out of puff. They are just preaching to the converted now.

After the failure of the no confidence debate to entice the coalition partners to jump ship and swap sides PAD has little to fuel public anger with.

All they can do now is just keep repeating the same tired old arguments that are already being dealt with by the courts.

Unless something big and new goes down that will arouse public interest the PAD risk being seen as little more than a public nuisance by the general public.

PAD looks like it has run out of puff. They are just preaching to the converted now.

After the failure of the no confidence debate to entice the coalition partners to jump ship and swap sides PAD has little to fuel public anger with.

All they can do now is just keep repeating the same tired old arguments that are already being dealt with by the courts.

Unless something big and new goes down that will arouse public interest the PAD risk being seen as little more than a public nuisance by the general public.

Do not underestimate Thaksin/PPP 's expertise at creating new controversies on a weekly basis, exactly what PAD feeds on.

They are a threat to this joke of a government, not a nuisance. PAD is stronger than ever and is nowhere near out of breath, don't get fooled by the abscence of a huge crowd come Monday mornings when people go back to work, they're back in the evening.

Says more about failure of the parlamentary system than of PAD running out of steam. Votes were cast strictly along party lines without any regard for reason or evidence. The result - no confidence in parlament in general.

There are reports that some parties demanded Noppadon's head in exchange for their support but they obviously couldn't express themselves in parlament. Now THAT is a problem of credibility of this "democratic" system, and credibility of those who ask people to trust "democratic" process to solve country's problems.

It just doesn't work. You can't blame people for asking for outside intervention if it's the only hope they have left.

Oh it was nice to read the newspapers today and not too see it filled with politics or the PAD jokers. It was a nice change and refreshing to read news for once. It really shows that a lot of people are getting sick, tired and bored of these PAD supporters with nothing to do but scrapping the bottom of the barrel for ammunition to bring down the government. They have blamed the governemnt for almost everything under the sun, but are now running out of ideas. If PAD want to take themselves seriously and speak for Thai people why dont they form a party and contest the governement at the ballot box not on the street like a bunch of wingers with no visions or ideas for the future. Maybe they should go back to work and start contributing to the country instead of damaging it. It appears even that the opposition has acknowledged that the government will stay on and should be let to govern now which is all good since last weeks healthy debate is all a part of democracy.

Do not underestimate Thaksin/PPP 's expertise at creating new controversies on a weekly basis, exactly what PAD feeds on.

They are a threat to this joke of a government, not a nuisance. PAD is stronger than ever and is nowhere near out of breath, don't get fooled by the abscence of a huge crowd come Monday mornings when people go back to work, they're back in the evening.

And don't underestimate what happens when they call for a "D-Day". that temple issues is good enough for a while. There might be worse things but that case is simple to understand.

Oh it was nice to read the newspapers today and not too see it filled with politics or the PAD jokers. It was a nice change and refreshing to read news for once. It really shows that a lot of people are getting sick, tired and bored of these PAD supporters with nothing to do but scrapping the bottom of the barrel for ammunition to bring down the government. They have blamed the governemnt for almost everything under the sun, but are now running out of ideas. If PAD want to take themselves seriously and speak for Thai people why dont they form a party and contest the governement at the ballot box not on the street like a bunch of wingers with no visions or ideas for the future. Maybe they should go back to work and start contributing to the country instead of damaging it. It appears even that the opposition has acknowledged that the government will stay on and should be let to govern now which is all good since last weeks healthy debate is all a part of democracy.

But filling the pockets with corruption and spending that money for buying votes has nothing to do with democracy, therefor forming a party won't help. There is already a party which is not corrupt.

From TOC

BREAKING NEWS: Civil Court Orders PAD to Open Phisanulok Road and Turn off Speakers

UPDATE : 30 June 2008

The Civil Court has handed down a ruling to force the People's Alliance for Democracy to open up Phisanulok Road and turned off all speakers during 7.30 a.m. to 4.30 p.m.

But filling the pockets with corruption and spending that money for buying votes has nothing to do with democracy, therefor forming a party won't help. There is already a party which is not corrupt.

Really? How can you be so sure that there is a party that is not currupt. (Democrats) Do you watch personally over every minister??. If you accuss some party of so much curruption it more then likely that others are also in the curruption game to some degree or another. This is Asia and curruption is at some level or another everywhere no matter how much you think they are not involved. You are just blind to the reality of this place.

Says more about failure of the parlamentary system than of PAD running out of steam. Votes were cast strictly along party lines without any regard for reason or evidence. The result - no confidence in parlament in general.

There are reports that some parties demanded Noppadon's head in exchange for their support but they obviously couldn't express themselves in parlament. Now THAT is a problem of credibility of this "democratic" system, and credibility of those who ask people to trust "democratic" process to solve country's problems.

It just doesn't work. You can't blame people for asking for outside intervention if it's the only hope they have left.

And do you think that voting along party lines is any different from the way politics work in any other established democracy?

The no confidence vote running in parallel with the PAD protests over virtually the same issues was a ploy to spook the coalition partners into changing sides. It didn't work, and that's history now. No point whining that it wasn't democratic because they voted along party lines. Same thing happens everywhere.

And do you think that voting along party lines is any different from the way politics work in any other established democracy?

The no confidence vote running in parallel with the PAD protests over virtually the same issues was a ploy to spook the coalition partners into changing sides. It didn't work, and that's history now. No point whining that it wasn't democratic because they voted along party lines. Same thing happens everywhere.

Im not convinced it was ever seriously supposed to cause the coalition allies to desert. Realistically the Dems do not have the numbers to form a governemnt even with the allies deserting plus the budget bill that the allies needed passed for ahem their interests to be satisfied came after the censure vote.

My read, which of course could be very wrong, was that at least from the parliamentary opposition the aim was to score some politcal points with the electorate for the future and to put the coalition allies in a position to demand more for their support (they were never going to desert) thereby causing further pressures in dividing up the cake and hence instability in the PPP. Personally I think it was more a long game by the opposition (excluding the PAD).

There were also the nice hugs and wais on the last day. The politcos know that come an election or a bunch of party changing or whatever that basically most of them (excluding a few 111 nominees if the 111 get back quick) will be back after the next election and the one after that and that they will end up forming some other coalition from amongst themselves.

The current power struggle will be played out more in the courts and parliament and possibly through elections now with a few lively street demos but this time the PAD dont have the same backing they did last time. It will be played out in a different arena to the streets or settled in a smoke filled room with a deal we'll never know the full details of. imho

And don't underestimate what happens when they call for a "D-Day". that temple issues is good enough for a while. There might be worse things but that case is simple to understand.

"that temple issues is good enough for a while"

Exactly. Its a minor issue that wouldn't normally result in much more than some debate among academics and politicians. But PAD is beating it up into a nationalistic fervor for their own interests. PAD is clinging on to any issue they can find in order to justify their protest against the government and their own existence. PAD really doesn't have much credibility with anyone outside their own supporters right now. They are nothing more than a rebellion looking for a cause. If they were smart they would focus their energies and mount protests only at times when matters of critical public interest are current. Things like the no confidence debate. Carrying on a protest without a critical issue in the hope the government will just go away is pretty dumb and is costing PAD what ever credibility they ever had with the multitudes. PAD is playing Samaks game. All PAD is doing now is to show their true agenda of inciting civil unrest and another military coup in the hope of installing the government of their choice.

Im not convinced it was ever seriously supposed to cause the coalition allies to desert. Realistically the Dems do not have the numbers to form a governemnt even with the allies deserting plus the budget bill that the allies needed passed for ahem their interests to be satisfied came after the censure vote.

My read, which of course could be very wrong, was that at least from the parliamentary opposition the aim was to score some politcal points with the electorate for the future and to put the coalition allies in a position to demand more for their support (they were never going to desert) thereby causing further pressures in dividing up the cake and hence instability in the PPP. Personally I think it was more a long game by the opposition (excluding the PAD).

There were also the nice hugs and wais on the last day. The politcos know that come an election or a bunch of party changing or whatever that basically most of them (excluding a few 111 nominees if the 111 get back quick) will be back after the next election and the one after that and that they will end up forming some other coalition from amongst themselves.

The current power struggle will be played out more in the courts and parliament and possibly through elections now with a few lively street demos but this time the PAD dont have the same backing they did last time. It will be played out in a different arena to the streets or settled in a smoke filled room with a deal we'll never know the full details of. imho

Which ever way you look at the recent no confidence debate, I think that "divide and conquer" was the underlying agenda. From what I can understand the issues raised seemed to be a secondary consideration designed to achieve an ends. Typical political maneuvering.

"that temple issues is good enough for a while"

Exactly. Its a minor issue that wouldn't normally result in much more than some debate among academics and politicians. But PAD is beating it up into a nationalistic fervor for their own interests. PAD is clinging on to any issue they can find in order to justify their protest against the government and their own existence. PAD really doesn't have much credibility with anyone outside their own supporters right now. They are nothing more than a rebellion looking for a cause. If they were smart they would focus their energies and mount protests only at times when matters of critical public interest are current. Things like the no confidence debate. Carrying on a protest without a critical issue in the hope the government will just go away is pretty dumb and is costing PAD what ever credibility they ever had with the multitudes. PAD is playing Samaks game. All PAD is doing now is to show their true agenda of inciting civil unrest and another military coup in the hope of installing the government of their choice.

A good analysis of everything. PAD has lost all credibility in my opinion. They are doing carnivals now to keep their die hard supporters at the protests. They are fast become a band of jokers and just causeing their smelly waste and bad language to disturbe the nearby schools. Time to ship out PAD and go home.