Security Tightens At Government House To Block Anti-govt Protesters

george

"PAD plans campaign to oust judges

The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) plans to gather 20,000 voters' signatures to kick-start impeachment proceedings against two Civil Court judges for ordering the alliance to stop blocking Rama V and Phitsanulok roads during school hours. Maj-Gen Chamlong Srimuang said all five PAD leaders agreed with the move. At least 20,000 signatures would be submitted to the Senate to support the impeachment bid. "

http://www.bangkokpost.com/090708_News/09Jul2008_news06.php

Looks like PAD is really off the rails this time.

The PAD being in conflict with the courts is a very useful meme to have going and being reported on every form of media at the same time as the courts find against the Thaksinistas if you happen to be of the anti-Thaksin persuasion. The courts must be or be seen to be strictly neutral and right now both the Thaksinistas and the public face of opposition to them are having a bad month in court.

I am one of those people who don't believe individual judges are completely impartial when it comes to political matters. That goes for every country, not just Thailand. However, as the court system is the closest thing to justice we can come up with, it is my belief we just have to accept the umpires decision unless the decision is blatantly unjust. PAD taking up a petition in an effort to sack the judges who brought down a decision against them just seems bizarre.

It has always amazed me that in a country where censorship and government interference in the media are rife, their constitution allows political protest sit-ins (call them camp ins), in city streets for weeks at a time. I don't know of any other democracy that puts such weight on the right to protest as to allow political protesters to disrupt the lives of residents and commuters by building stages and camping in the streets for weeks at a time (in fact, an indeterminate amount of time). I am sure such a thing wouldn't be tolerated for more than a day or so in London or Washington. But then again, most modern democracies respect the rights of the majority and civil order. And most modern democracies don't have the threat of the military intervening to take over government via a coup if police attempt to restore order under such circumstances.

Getting back to the gist of your reply there Hammered (if I have interpreted it right), I cant see that by PAD taking on the judges in such a blatantly provocative manner would enhance the general public perception of the courts impartiality or not. Coming on the heels of PADS "New Politics" proposal of appointed rather than elected public representatives in parliament, I see this latest gesture of defiance as something that is likely to diminish PADs credibility in the public eye and cause it to be seen as little more than a waning political force simply trying to grab headlines to stay alive.

Edited by ando

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) plans to gather 20,000 voters' signatures to kick-start impeachment proceedings against two Civil Court judges for ordering the alliance to stop blocking Rama V and Phitsanulok roads during school hours. Maj-Gen Chamlong Srimuang said all five PAD leaders agreed with the move. At least 20,000 signatures would be submitted to the Senate to support the impeachment bid. "

The PAD being in conflict with the courts is a very useful meme to have going and being reported on every form of media at the same time as the courts find against the Thaksinistas if you happen to be of the anti-Thaksin persuasion. The courts must be or be seen to be strictly neutral and right now both the Thaksinistas and the public face of opposition to them are having a bad month in court.

I am one of those people who don't believe individual judges are completely impartial when it comes to political matters. That goes for every country, not just Thailand. However, as the court system is the closest thing to justice we can come up with, it is my belief we just have to accept the umpires decision unless the decision is blatantly unjust. PAD taking up a petition in an effort to sack the judges who brought down a decision against them just seems bizarre.

It has always amazed me that in a country where censorship and government interference in the media are rife, their constitution allows political protest sit-ins (call them camp ins), in city streets for weeks at a time. I don't know of any other democracy that puts such weight on the right to protest as to allow political protesters to disrupt the lives of residents and commuters by building stages and camping in the streets for weeks at a time (in fact, an indeterminate amount of time). I am sure such a thing wouldn't be tolerated for more than a day or so in London or Washington. But then again, most modern democracies respect the rights of the majority and civil order. And most modern democracies don't have the threat of the military intervening to take over government via a coup if police attempt to restore order under such circumstances.

Getting back to the gist of your reply there Hammered (if I have interpreted it right), I cant see that by PAD taking on the judges in such a blatantly provocative manner would enhance the general public perception of the courts impartiality or not. Coming on the heels of PADS "New Politics" proposal of appointed rather than elected public representatives in parliament, I see this latest gesture of defiance as something that is likely to diminish PADs credibility in the public eye and cause it to be seen as little more than a waning political force simply trying to grab headlines to stay alive.

My analysis is conspiratorial.

Sure the PAD have been deserted by a lot of the social groups that used to support them and a lot of the middle class. the real opposition to the Thaksinistas is not the PAD it resides in other areas, some of which are lying low, some of which are bored, some of which are trying to cut deals with Samak. However, the hope of these groups is that the courts will sort the Thaksinistas out. To date the decisons have gone against the anti-T group. If these were the only politcal cases coming up it would look very much like politcally influenced decisons. However, it is noticeable that at the same time the PAD who are the only publically noticed anti-T group are also suffering at the hands of the courts. That mitigates strongly against any accusations of poltical bias when cases go against Thaksin et al. The courts either are or appear to be deciding against both groups in an even handed manner. But at the end of the day if the courts smash the Thaksinistas nobody including the PAD will care if they get smashed up, fined or even banned from politcs too as their ultimate aim is achieved. Whereas it will be small consulation to the Thaksinistas that the PAD went down with them. Remember the PAD are now portraying themselves and being media portrayed as an increasingly bizarre and marginalized extremist group. The after the denouement media spin is very easy to see: that for the best of the country it is good that both extremes (PAD and Thaksinistas) were taken out.

My analysis is based on the real and larger opposition to Thaksin and his friends is pretty much underground and still working behind the scenes to achieve their aims. The PAD have been abandoned and will be nicely set up as a bizarre extremist group and sacrificed to give cover to the decisions that will be coming the PPP/TRT way.

Still I may just have an overactive imagination. Then again most Thai analysts who have been at the game for decades dont seem to know whats coming down the line so...... :o

My analysis is conspiratorial.

Sure the PAD have been deserted by a lot of the social groups that used to support them and a lot of the middle class. the real opposition to the Thaksinistas is not the PAD it resides in other areas, some of which are lying low, some of which are bored, some of which are trying to cut deals with Samak. However, the hope of these groups is that the courts will sort the Thaksinistas out. To date the decisons have gone against the anti-T group. If these were the only politcal cases coming up it would look very much like politcally influenced decisons. However, it is noticeable that at the same time the PAD who are the only publically noticed anti-T group are also suffering at the hands of the courts. That mitigates strongly against any accusations of poltical bias when cases go against Thaksin et al. The courts either are or appear to be deciding against both groups in an even handed manner. But at the end of the day if the courts smash the Thaksinistas nobody including the PAD will care if they get smashed up, fined or even banned from politcs too as their ultimate aim is achieved. Whereas it will be small consulation to the Thaksinistas that the PAD went down with them. Remember the PAD are now portraying themselves and being media portrayed as an increasingly bizarre and marginalized extremist group. The after the denouement media spin is very easy to see: that for the best of the country it is good that both extremes (PAD and Thaksinistas) were taken out.

My analysis is based on the real and larger opposition to Thaksin and his friends is pretty much underground and still working behind the scenes to achieve their aims. The PAD have been abandoned and will be nicely set up as a bizarre extremist group and sacrificed to give cover to the decisions that will be coming the PPP/TRT way.

Still I may just have an overactive imagination. Then again most Thai analysts who have been at the game for decades dont seem to know whats coming down the line so...... :o

The PAD will disappear when Thaksin+cronies are away. PAD was only founded to kick Thaksin. they come from the ultra-right till ultra-left, so they have nothing together beside that they want Thaksin away.

The PAD is no danger for Thailand or anything else.

The PAD will disappear when Thaksin+cronies are away. PAD was only founded to kick Thaksin. they come from the ultra-right till ultra-left, so they have nothing together beside that they want Thaksin away.

A rather simplistic and child like stance IMHO.

If only life was that simple.

A rather simplistic and child like stance IMHO.

If only life was that simple.

Life is sometimes simple my son.....

I don't know of any other democracy that puts such weight on the right to protest as to allow political protesters to disrupt the lives of residents and commuters

I am sure such a thing wouldn't be tolerated for more than a day or so in London or Washington. But then again, most modern democracies respect the rights of the majority and civil order.

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. made a career out of non-violent, civil disobedience in Washinton and across the USA. He paid for it with his life, but it was his actions that played a major role in the Western world to begin respecting the rights of civil protest and tolerance. Prior to him, "modern democracies" respected those rights much less.

In many other repects, as well, Thailand is decades behind. This is the 60's for them in that regard.

Very good point SR John we need to have the ability to peacefully protest otherwise there is nothing we can believe in. A minor disturbance to disrupt the lives of commuters is a small way of getting a message across

When I was at university in the 1980s we held many demonstrations against Thatcherism and the like and of course it caused probs with traffic etc. But it's about having the right to DO that

Edited by Nampeung

A minor disturbance to disrupt the lives of commuters is a small way of getting a message acros

Fair enough too. But blockading public streets and disrupting the lives of local citizens and commuters for weeks or months at a time is going over the top.

I am all for the right to protest, but if it becomes an ongoing blockade then I think that is overstepping the mark re the rights of other citizens to continue their lives in a normal manner. Protests OK. Blockades No. There is a difference.

A minor disturbance to disrupt the lives of commuters is a small way of getting a message acros

Fair enough too. But blockading public streets and disrupting the lives of local citizens and commuters for weeks or months at a time is going over the top.

I am all for the right to protest, but if it becomes an ongoing blockade then I think that is overstepping the mark re the rights of other citizens to continue their lives in a normal manner. Protests OK. Blockades No. There is a difference.

it is not disrupting the lives.

It is a minor disturbance.

I don't know of any other democracy that puts such weight on the right to protest as to allow political protesters to disrupt the lives of residents and commuters

I am sure such a thing wouldn't be tolerated for more than a day or so in London or Washington. But then again, most modern democracies respect the rights of the majority and civil order.

Yes that is the problem in Thailand. A minority wont accept what the majority want which is shame as it shows that PAD dont believe in fundamental Democratic process. If this was going on in Australia, US, Europe the police would of cleared the streets a long time ago and it would be business as usual. Okay protesting is everyones right, but to do blockades and cause unstability economically and politically is another thing and now PAD's revolutionary ideas....

Well that's pretty subjective really. Were my daughter's lessons disrupted by protests to the extent that her education was suffering, I wouldn't think it a minor disturbance. Likewise if my commute doubled because of protesters blocking my way.

The right to protest is important in any kind of democracy but it shouldn't be allowed to interfere with the rights of those unconnected with the protests. Some common-sense is needed to balance everyone's rights vis-a-vis everyone else's; that's what the court has tried to do.

Edited by Meerkat

That's the way it may appear to those NOT affected by PADS blockade.

However to people who ARE affected its a different matter. Hence the court ruling ordering PAD to clear the prolonged blockade. A ruling that would be considered perfectly legitimate in any normal functioning democracy.

Now PAD is taking up a petition to have the judges who ruled against their blockade sacked. That's a really bizarre interpretation of freedom of speech.

No one is saying that PAD shouldn't be able to go off into a park somewhere and have their protests for as long as they like, but blockading streets and creating serious public inconvenience and disruption is going too far.

There is nothing going on at the moment in Thai politics or the courts that 99.9% of Thai people feel so strongly about that they believe their only option is to take to the streets with PAD in protest. Yet PAD continue to try and drum up issues to protest about. And PAD continue to focus on creating maximum disruption to normal public and political functioning in order to gain maximum publicity for themselves.

Right now PAD are painting themselves into a corner by continuing protests and creating public disruption and inconvenience over things that the general public don't think is worthy of such radical action. PAD has become a "rebel without a cause" in the eyes of many previous supporters. PAD is now more obsessed with keeping the momentum of their movement going than the actual issues they originally started to protest about. I believe PAD is losing credibility with the vast majority of people even in Bangkok by simply looking for confrontation when it is not needed.

However to people who ARE affected its a different matter. Hence the court ruling ordering PAD to clear the prolonged blockade. A ruling that would be considered perfectly legitimate in any normal functioning democracy.

Now PAD is taking up a petition to have the judges who ruled against their blockade sacked. That's a really bizarre interpretation of freedom of speech.

No one is saying that PAD shouldn't be able to go off into a park somewhere and have their protests for as long as they like, but blockading streets and creating serious public inconvenience and disruption is going too far.

There is nothing going on at the moment in Thai politics or the courts that 99.9% of Thai people feel so strongly about that they believe their only option is to take to the streets with PAD in protest. Yet PAD continue to try and drum up issues to protest about. And PAD continue to focus on creating maximum disruption to normal public and political functioning in order to gain maximum publicity for themselves.

Right now PAD are painting themselves into a corner by continuing protests and creating public disruption and inconvenience over things that the general public don't think is worthy of such radical action. PAD has become a "rebel without a cause" in the eyes of many previous supporters. PAD is now more obsessed with keeping the momentum of their movement going than the actual issues they originally started to protest about. I believe PAD is losing credibility with the vast majority of people even in Bangkok by simply looking for confrontation when it is not needed.

You've been spouting this drivel about PAD "losing credibility" and being "out of touch" ever since I've been reading your predictable posts opposing PAD.

You'd just hate to admit that they've been steadily gaining credibility as a movement in many Thai people's eyes for sticking to their barricades (not guns, note) and raising the level of awareness in Thai people about A/ the corruption and incompentence of the present leadership; and B/ the continuing threat posed by Toxin and his cohort to the peace, prosperity and stability of the nation. With each successive resignation of one of those minions, PAD's credibility rises and their sacrifices are justified.

It is you that lack credibility, sir, by your continuous wrong calls on Thai politics. :o

Yes "rebel without a cause" is a good discription of PAD now. Its strange how the PAD are all against judges now because of the genuine problems they caused outside local schools. They are starting to show their true colors.

Well that's pretty subjective really. Were my daughter's lessons disrupted by protests to the extent that her education was suffering, I wouldn't think it a minor disturbance. Likewise if my commute doubled because of protesters blocking my way.

The right to protest is important in any kind of democracy but it shouldn't be allowed to interfere with the rights of those unconnected with the protests. Some common-sense is needed to balance everyone's rights vis-a-vis everyone else's; that's what the court has tried to do.

I was there, at the school in question, which is not close to the stage. Our neighbours daughter is learning there and tells it is less noisy than with the traffic noise.

Ugly is the smell, but because the toilet busses are in terrible conditions and I can't see any reason why they park exactly there.

I also saw a policeman with his trouser almost at his knees, watering a car, that around 10 people were looking at him did not disturb him.

A fair treatment would have been to tell PAD that the noise in the school area must be lower than xx (there are books about it).

With the argument of the court you can ban every demonstration everywhere. If the PAD can make the petition to sack the judges, than it means PAD has the right to make the petition if they did wrong they will be sacked if not, not. Meanwhile the PAD followed the rule of the court.

So whats wrong with that?

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. made a career out of non-violent, civil disobedience in Washinton and across the USA. He paid for it with his life, but it was his actions that played a major role in the Western world to begin respecting the rights of civil protest and tolerance. Prior to him, "modern democracies" respected those rights much less.

In many other repects, as well, Thailand is decades behind. This is the 60's for them in that regard.

Comparing Martin Luther King to Sondhi L. and his PAD cronies is like comparing Thaksin to Gandhi; let's not go there... I don't recall King calling for a military coup or calling for democracy and elections to end.

< blah blah blah >

blah blah blah duly ignored

You've been spouting this drivel about PAD "losing credibility" and being "out of touch" ever since I've been reading your predictable posts opposing PAD.

You'd just hate to admit that they've been steadily gaining credibility as a movement in many Thai people's eyes for sticking to their barricades (not guns, note) and raising the level of awareness in Thai people about A/ the corruption and incompentence of the present leadership; and B/ the continuing threat posed by Toxin and his cohort to the peace, prosperity and stability of the nation. With each successive resignation of one of those minions, PAD's credibility rises and their sacrifices are justified.

It is you that lack credibility, sir, by your continuous wrong calls on Thai politics. :o

I reckon a VERY SMALL minority of Thai people would agree with you there. So you are not alone. Keep up the good fight for whatever cause you can find. :D

< more blah blah blah >

more blah blah blah duly ignored

Your childishness exceeds that of my dear 3-year old; at least he goes to bed at 8pm! Cheers!

sunrise07: maybe you should stay on the topic instead of being rude (also on other topics).

< more blah blah blah >

Your childishness exceeds that of my dear 3-year old; at least he goes to bed at 8pm! Cheers!

sunrise07: maybe you should stay on the topic instead of being rude (also on other topics).

Why are you showing examples of quotes and then commenting on them. SJ changes the contents of the other posters quotes anyway. Sorry if you were not aware of this childish tactic of his.

^ That's a very serious allegation to make. Do you have evidence that SJ alters quotes so as to intentionally change the original posters meaning. We all elide elements of quotes so as to focus on a point we wish to respond to, or sometimes remove a paragraph from an international source which would conflict with forum rules here {such as a possibly inappropriate mention of the monarchy and chronology}.

This is a case of put up or cease sniping.

Regards

I wonder what came first - parents desire to stop PAD or Thaksin's lawyers looking for "victims" to file a suit.

School concerns about noise and everything would have been kosher if not for Thaksin's presonal laywers representing them in the court of their choice.

They also demanded that Sondhi stopped mentioning Thaksin's name in public, I don't know what they outcome is, but these courts are a fair game if they allow themselves to be used as a tool to suppress legitimate demonstrations or basic freedom of speech.

Still, I think judge impeachment won't go anywhere, it's a non-starter.

< more blah blah blah >

Why are you showing examples of quotes and then commenting on them. SJ changes the contents of the other posters quotes anyway. Sorry if you were not aware of this childish tactic of his.

What about that "There really doesn't seem to be a point to any of your posts other than that you are obviously suffering mentally. Get well soon!" Against "TAWP"?

All the time when you run out of arguments (which happens often while defending Thaksin, PPP and Samak) you just attacking other users.

I wonder what came first - parents desire to stop PAD or Thaksin's lawyers looking for "victims" to file a suit.

School concerns about noise and everything would have been kosher if not for Thaksin's presonal laywers representing them in the court of their choice.

That's the first I've heard about Thaksin's lawyers representing the parents and teachers even after re-reading all I can find on the subject. Where did you hear this?

They also demanded that Sondhi stopped mentioning Thaksin's name in public, I don't know what they outcome is, but these courts are a fair game if they allow themselves to be used as a tool to suppress legitimate demonstrations or basic freedom of speech.

Still, I think judge impeachment won't go anywhere, it's a non-starter.

The PAD dropped its impeachment idea according to yesterday's Post (near the end of the article).

That's the first I've heard about Thaksin's lawyers representing the parents and teachers even after re-reading all I can find on the subject. Where did you hear this?

Can't remember, in one of the first articles on the issue.

Ok, got it, I was wrong, it was not Thaksin's lawyer, just a brother of PPP deputy spokesman, if it really makes any difference :

The PAD leaders charged that the petition was politically motivated. They believed it was a ploy to disperse their protest because the plaintiffs' lawyer, Methee Jaisamut, is a younger brother of Supachai Jaisamut, a deputy spokesman of the People Power party (PPP).

http://www.bangkokpost.com/020708_News/02Jul2008_news15.php

Edited by Plus