Centipede/millipede

The last several weeks I have seen a lot of these guys around the outside of the house. The previous years I've never seen one before and don't know if it is due to new top soil and grass put in this year and they came with it. :o

I would like to know if this type is in anyway dangerous because they are making me nervous when I'm walking outside and occasionally one gets into the house. I looked up info on the Internet about the differences between the two types and this one appears to be a millipede. The legs are in pairs, two pairs on each segment and when touched it promptly curls up into a ball. My wife seems to think they are dangerous but need clairfication for my own peace of mind.

post-566-1214023033_thumb.jpg

Millipedes are not poisonous, but many species have repugnatorial glands capable of producing irritating fluids which may produce allergic reactions in individuals sensitive to insects or insect toxins. A few millipede species are capable of squirting these fluids over a distance of several inches. Persons handling millipedes will notice a lingering odor on their hands and the fluid can be dangerous to the eyes. It is not advisable to handle millipedes, but when one has been held, hands should be washed with soap and water until the odor is completely gone.

Centipedes all have poison "jaws" (actually what used to be legs has evolved into pincers), and their are sharp claws on the remaining legs that can pierce your skin and become inflamed with poison as well.

Millipedes do not.

Looks like a glomerid millipede in your pic.

These seen to be harmless little guys, they rollinto a ball when you touch them. I got dozens of them on the grass, on the tiles but funnily enough never in the pool, maybe they don't swim well.

Had an Kiwi friend in the NZ army, they trained in the Brunie jungle and would each find a centipede to keep as a pet. They would cut off the nippers and put a piece of thread around the body then let them run around inside their jungle fatigues. He said that even without the nippers they could still hurt if you brush them the wrong way as the feet dig into the skin. So remember always brush your centipede pet in the direction he is walking. :o

Thanks for all your comforting answers. Have to admit to being a wuss when it comes to certain insects, more specifically the ones I have no idea what they are. I remember many years ago living in a small village in Thailand I saw an unusual insect crawling in the bedroom. As I started to approach it my girlfriend let out a shriek and told me not to touch it. Sometime later, I saw a different type and it looked dangerous, in this case she laughed and told me it was nothing. :o

Seems ever since, I've been overly cautious with new critters. :D

Another example is a spider that sometimes gets into the house. From leg to leg it is about 10cm across but thin and moves REALLY fast. Saw one a few days ago in the living room several meters away. As I started approaching it it started straight for me at lightning speed. They also make me very nervous but yesterday one was next to our dog and I promptly beat it silly with a broom and swept it outdoors. My sister in law was watching in amusement. When I asked if she was scared of them she just smiled and said no. Even so, not happy to see them in the house.

...moves REALLY fast... started straight for me at lightning speed.

Not much rattles me, except for creatures that act like the above.

There is a small jumping spider that always jumps straight for me. Sometimes when startling a house lizard (jinjoe) it'll jump off it's perch right onto me. Also, a disturbed big cockroach, when startled will go for the nearest cover--sometimes trying to get under your bare foot.

Echhhhhhhh!!!! :o

Another example is a spider that sometimes gets into the house. From leg to leg it is about 10cm across but thin and moves REALLY fast.

Just came across one of these spiders tonight on our back porch. Any idea what kind it is? This one is also between 9-10 cm. I used a 12X zoom. :o

post-566-1214147614_thumb.jpg

Another example is a spider that sometimes gets into the house. From leg to leg it is about 10cm across but thin and moves REALLY fast.

Just came across one of these spiders tonight on our back porch. Any idea what kind it is? This one is also between 9-10 cm. I used a 12X zoom. :D

:o I hope you dont live in Bangkok..... I am really scared of these things.

Just came across one of these spiders tonight on our back porch. Any idea what kind it is? This one is also between 9-10 cm. I used a 12X zoom. :o

Cane Spider...very common in Asia and Hawaii. Harmless unless really provoked. They eat cockroaches so don't kill it unless you like cockroaches. They are also very fast and can catch a cockroach on the run. I've seen happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heteropoda_venatoria

Yeah, cane spider. I met one while camping in Hawaii....It had myself and 3 other big guys running around screaming like school girls as it raced around the tent and campsite.

A four year old girl came to tell us not to worry and that it was a cane spider, and harmless.

Very humbling.

Thats a Millipede in you pic Tywais, it is harmless.

If you see one of these:

cent1.bmp

its a centipede, and will really hurt you!!

Do these little guys come in bright red? I found three in my house a couple of days ago - looked like the nasty in your picture but were a bright red. When I squashed them, they squashed into a deep purple mess. There was no cute curling up into a little ball. Scared the crap outta me. Found them coming up through my bathtub drain (which I have now screened with fine mesh).

Cane Spider...very common in Asia and Hawaii. Harmless unless really provoked. They eat cockroaches so don't kill it unless you like cockroaches. They are also very fast and can catch a cockroach on the run. I've seen happen.

Great job identifying it for me, thanks for that. I'll try to be more tolerant of them next time rather then beating them silly with a broom. :o

Thats a Millipede in you pic Tywais, it is harmless.

If you see one of these:

cent1.bmp

its a centipede, and will really hurt you!!

Do these little guys come in bright red? I found three in my house a couple of days ago - looked like the nasty in your picture but were a bright red. When I squashed them, they squashed into a deep purple mess. There was no cute curling up into a little ball. Scared the crap outta me. Found them coming up through my bathtub drain (which I have now screened with fine mesh).

Yes they do.

Sophon

• 9 months later...
The last several weeks I have seen a lot of these guys around the outside of the house. The previous years I've never seen one before and don't know if it is due to new top soil and grass put in this year and they came with it. :o

I would like to know if this type is in anyway dangerous because they are making me nervous when I'm walking outside and occasionally one gets into the house. I looked up info on the Internet about the differences between the two types and this one appears to be a millipede. The legs are in pairs, two pairs on each segment and when touched it promptly curls up into a ball. My wife seems to think they are dangerous but need clairfication for my own peace of mind.

I have dozens of them every day in front of my house in samut prakarn. I kill at least 30 every day.... how to get rid of them permanently? any help would be highly appreciated :D

I have dozens of them every day in front of my house in samut prakarn. I kill at least 30 every day.... how to get rid of them permanently? any help would be highly appreciated :D

They pop up every year and then go away for another year. I used to live in Latin America and we had them there as well. They are harmless. You don't have to kill them. Just scoop them up and put them outside of your house. You will never kill them all anyway so live and let live.

Takrab in Thai... Bad news these "guys"...sting/bite like a scorpion, very painful can induce swelling for up to 14 days and more... good remedy is loads of tiger balm!

Not the creature in the OP, perhaps you are thinking of Scolopendra which is a centipede. Centipedes are ตะขาบ (dtaL khaapL) in Thai.

There was a bit in last KK post in theRipleys believe it or not bit. It said that the poisen in the centipede is cyanide.

Scolopendra (centipede) venom is not well characterized, but has been compared to hymenoptera (bees/wasps) venom. It is under investigation, like many other animal venoms, for potential applications ranging from insecticides to cancer therapy.

Several species of milipede secrete noxious defensive chemicals which include hydrogen cyanide. Harpaphe haydeniana is known as the Cyanide or Almond-Scented Millipede for this reason (that's not a SE Asian species though). They may not be venomous, or bite, but they are best left alone and especially not handled by children.

Edited by phaethon

• 1 month later...

Millipedes are very common in Thailand, and the thais are very afraid of them. Although they are bigger than the ones I have seen in the states, I can testify that they are harmless. I have one very very big one as a pet in my computer room. "Legs" seems to be doing just fine, or has been for about a month now, and I play with him/her/it on a daily basis, but still don't know what to feed it. I assume it eats when I'm not at home.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The last several weeks I have seen a lot of these guys around the outside of the house. The previous years I've never seen one before and don't know if it is due to new top soil and grass put in this year and they came with it. :)

I'm killing about 10 of these a DAY in my house.

They are coming in through the bathroom.

Edited by Tokay