Are Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration Systems Available In Pattaya?

thebounder

Does anyone know anything about the availability of reverse osmosis water filtration systems here in Pattaya. If they are available, please let me know where. Also if anyone has any comments on the quality of different systems, ones to avoid, etc, they would be much appreciated.

Does anyone know anything about the availability of reverse osmosis water filtration systems here in Pattaya. If they are available, please let me know where. Also if anyone has any comments on the quality of different systems, ones to avoid, etc, they would be much appreciated.

All the 1bht. per litre machines in all the big Condo blocks and outside various shops (usually white with some blue trimming) state that their water is treated by the reverse osmosis process (hopefully it is I use all the time) .

Presumably therefore it is possible to buy a domestic machine as well.

H :o ope you find some divine water

You can get reverse osmosis and ultraviolet filtration vending machines like the previous post suggests but these are large machines for commercial use. For home/condo use, you can buy a system that fits under your kitchen sink in the cupboard, these are usually reverse osmosis filration only.

The best systems cost around 10000bt have more filters and also a storage tank, the more expense the better the water qaulity, you can get cheaper systems for around 3-4000bt.

Their is a salesman that deals in all these systems and speaks good english he calls himself Peter, his mobile is 081 860 3678, call him for an appointment and he can go through it all with you.

You can get reverse osmosis and ultraviolet filtration vending machines like the previous post suggests but these are large machines for commercial use. For home/condo use, you can buy a system that fits under your kitchen sink in the cupboard, these are usually reverse osmosis filration only.

The best systems cost around 10000bt have more filters and also a storage tank, the more expense the better the water qaulity, you can get cheaper systems for around 3-4000bt.

Their is a salesman that deals in all these systems and speaks good english he calls himself Peter, his mobile is 081 860 3678, call him for an appointment and he can go through it all with you.

Thanks very much.

Do note that water treated by reverse osmosis is not healthy (nor is it unhealthy :o )

There's just nothing in there!

You have to eat proper nutritional meals containing plenty of minerals, since RO treated water tends to drain you of these minerals.

Do note that water treated by reverse osmosis is not healthy (nor is it unhealthy :o )

You have to eat proper nutritional meals containing plenty of minerals, since RO treated water tends to drain you of these minerals.

Sounds a bit like what my Granny used to call "double Dutch'.But if there is nothing there, at least the germs,bacteria etc. have gone ?

Just a Query

Do note that water treated by reverse osmosis is not healthy (nor is it unhealthy :D )

Beer feels that important nutritional gap !!!!!!!!!!!! :o

I am in the process of buying one of these as well. I found this thread a useful discussion.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...&hl=osmosis

I started off thinking I would have a big tank for the whole house, but decided I hardly needed filtered water to shower, so looked at smaller systems just for the drinking water.

You can buy them in just about any hardware store. I have been to Homeworks, HomePro, Tesco, Big C etc...

After a lot of thought and investigation, I am considering just buying one of those small filter jugs from Big C for about 2000 Baht. They have a filter in them and you have to fill manually, but it seems a really easy option for the amount of water I really need to filter.

I would not bother at all, but it is a real pain having to load up with heavy bottles of water from Big C.

Water treatment - quick and simple comments

Water in the mains delivered to your house has been filtered to an extent in Pattaya, but is still not potable (drinkable).

It has a high proportion of TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) - WHO recommend a maximum of 500ppm for potable water.

It has bacteria, it has other contaminants.

You can get rid of large contaminants through straight filtration, using fine-mesh filters.

You can reduce the TDS by RO filtration

You can reduce the bacteriological contamination by UV filtration.

But - as Monty says - an efficient RO system will reduce the TDS to virtually zero and so you should install a chemical dosing set to put back in the water the necessary salts (ions) that your body needs. Demineralised water will strip salts from any source, including your body, very quickly.

As most Thai houses have a large underground cistern to hold the mains water when delivered, the water is not drinkable. There is seldom a source of drinkable water provided by the local authority.

Why do you want to install this sort of system? The water provided is suitable for showers / bath / flushing toilet / watering garden / even cooking and washing vegetables. It is a real pain to convert it to potable water properly. Most treatment systems for domestic use are only half-a-system. No post-filtration treatment, or just biocidal. Stick with bottled water for drinking. I do not trust these road-side machines to be fully treating the water.

My business is making the water potable into houses and I have done hundreds of systems to date in Thailand and around Pattaya mostly.

A lot of good comments above, however one of the biggest problems is the IRON content which is so prevelant here in Thailand.

What I do deals with this issue and then I can make the water drinkable as well if desired!

Cheers

Water treatment - quick and simple comments

Water in the mains delivered to your house has been filtered to an extent in Pattaya, but is still not potable (drinkable).

It has a high proportion of TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) - WHO recommend a maximum of 500ppm for potable water.

It has bacteria, it has other contaminants.

You can get rid of large contaminants through straight filtration, using fine-mesh filters.

You can reduce the TDS by RO filtration

You can reduce the bacteriological contamination by UV filtration.

But - as Monty says - an efficient RO system will reduce the TDS to virtually zero and so you should install a chemical dosing set to put back in the water the necessary salts (ions) that your body needs. Demineralised water will strip salts from any source, including your body, very quickly.

As most Thai houses have a large underground cistern to hold the mains water when delivered, the water is not drinkable. There is seldom a source of drinkable water provided by the local authority.

Why do you want to install this sort of system? The water provided is suitable for showers / bath / flushing toilet / watering garden / even cooking and washing vegetables. It is a real pain to convert it to potable water properly. Most treatment systems for domestic use are only half-a-system. No post-filtration treatment, or just biocidal. Stick with bottled water for drinking. I do not trust these road-side machines to be fully treating the water.

I would agree with above, why bother? Another problem with the home filter systems is they are high maintainance, and if you dont maintain them the water becomes even more contaminated than you started with, I will stick with having the large bottles delivered. :o

would agree with above, why bother? Another problem with the home filter systems is they are high maintainance, and if you dont maintain them the water becomes even more contaminated than you started with, I will stick with having the large bottles delivered. :D

How do you know if the large bottles that you get delivered have qaulity drinking water?

They just get recycled and returned, but with what? :o

How do you know if the large bottles that you get delivered have qaulity drinking water?

They just get recycled and returned, but with what? :o

There were a few articles in the Pattaya Forum or Pattaya News Clippings Forum a couple of years ago about the Municipality testing service for drinking water producers - seems they went round all the purifying / bottling plants and closed a dozen for violations.

So it's possibly something that's taken seriously.

(or it could be that some establishments did not want to 'buy' the correct test results)

would agree with above, why bother? Another problem with the home filter systems is they are high maintainance, and if you dont maintain them the water becomes even more contaminated than you started with, I will stick with having the large bottles delivered. :D

They just get recycled and returned, but with what? :D

Agree with the 2 comments above. I have spent several weeks looking into getting a filtration system for the house. I have Well water anyway, but bought lots of bottled water from Big C for drinking and even making tea.

I have decided that for my requirements a simple Water Purifying jug is the best solution. Its free standing and you manually add about 8 litres of water in the top and it is filtered. Just top it up as necessary - simple. Its a Nuvo (German) and cost 1300 Baht from Big C. I bought 2 additional filters at 500 Baht each, in case they no longer make them I come to replace the filter in 6 months time. :o

• 9 months later...

They just get recycled and returned, but with what? :D

Agree with the 2 comments above. I have spent several weeks looking into getting a filtration system for the house. I have Well water anyway, but bought lots of bottled water from Big C for drinking and even making tea.

I have decided that for my requirements a simple Water Purifying jug is the best solution. Its free standing and you manually add about 8 litres of water in the top and it is filtered. Just top it up as necessary - simple. Its a Nuvo (German) and cost 1300 Baht from Big C. I bought 2 additional filters at 500 Baht each, in case they no longer make them I come to replace the filter in 6 months time. :o

If you want pure drinking water without having to buy water or trust piped water try looking at WATERMICRON these machines produce pure drinking water from the atmosphere. They now have a small outlet in Pattaya Tel: 0874862127

• 4 weeks later...
If you want pure drinking water without having to buy water or trust piped water try looking at WATERMICRON these machines produce pure drinking water from the atmosphere. They now have a small outlet in Pattaya Tel: 0874862127

Big as a fridge and 1500 bucks.

Thanks but no thanks :o

If you're looking for a home unit, go to homepro or carrefour on Pattayaklang and you'll be spoilt for choice.

They offer anything from a basic one, to those with booster pumps (to increase output if you got weak pressure at home) or TDS (total dissolved solids) meters on the outlet to check the elimination of "stuff" from tap water

If the unit is for human consumption, it is mandatory to have an Ultraviolet Light chamber installed (i think almost all of the RO units you can buy have it, but check that because that's the part that kills bacteria, which can pass through (or even establish colonies in) the RO membrane)

BigC as well may have some RO stuff. Browse around because on the very same product, as you may very well already know, there can be a huge price difference in Thailand

... as for the convenience of having the big bottles delivered...

have you ever noticed that the huge jugs are carried around in full sun light in pickup trucks? (and have you ever read the "keep away from direct sunlight" label on plastic bottled water?)

Do you really trust a small thai company making RO water about their procedures? do they really wash the jugs between customers or just (if you're lucky) give them a quick rinse (with tap water)?

Do they really change membranes and filters as often as they should or they minimize costs to increase profit?

Do they really do take samples and do quality testing, every day, many times a day?

i

I used to buy the big translucent plastic jugs of drinking water until I opened a sealed jug and found mosquito larvae swimming in it. I then opted for a three filter unit that seems to do a good job. At least there are no creatures swimming in my filtered water. :o

Activated charcoal should be changed every six months or more often. The ceramic filter will last indefinitely or until the flow decreases substantially. I then soak the ceramic filter in bleach and scrub it inside and outside as well as possible. I have only replaced the ceramic filter once in five years. If the water has any odor at all, it is past time to change the activated charcoal.

My business is making the water potable into houses and I have done hundreds of systems to date in Thailand and around Pattaya mostly.

A lot of good comments above, however one of the biggest problems is the IRON content which is so prevelant here in Thailand.

What I do deals with this issue and then I can make the water drinkable as well if desired!

Cheers

I have a lot of sulfur and methane in my water. If you were to pour a glass of water, the water would be white at first, and you would hear it fiz like soda water. What if any solutions do you know about to solve this problem?

Edited by philliphn