Cheap Psyllium Husk (main Ingredient In Metamucil, Etc.)

junkofdavid2

Hi,

I searched this topic here on Thaivisa, but discovered those threads were like 3 years old!

Any update on this?

Where in Bangkok can you get the "generic type" psyllium husk in Bangkok (not the fancy Metamucil, etc. which is expensive because of the flavoring and pretty packaging)?

:o

Not sure if any help but almost all pharmacists in Thailand stock Fybogel which contains Ispaghula Husk and IMHO it is as good as Metamucil.

A box of 10 sachets is less than 100 baht.

Thanks for that. I googled it and found out that Ispaghula is the same as Psyllium!

Interestingly though, also popping up on google was a negative study that ispaghula/psyllium may be linked to a certain tumor growth in the colon called "polyps". :o

As an update to other interested folks (only 1 reply but many views!):

I found this brand of psyllium/ispaghula called Mucillin; seems to be a local Thai repackaged brand. Only 220 Baht for 400 gm cannister, good for about 36 servings. (11g per serving; providing 3.4gms of soluble fiber; same as metamucil).

Available at pharmacy in Paragon/Emporium; and surely in many others.

Haven't tried it yet. Might try it when my current "Colon Cleanse" from the States runs out... :o

• 1 year later...

Hi

I have been using Psyllium Husk (whole unprocessed) for many many years ... it is wonderful for control of blood pressure letalone any other intestinal ailments

Any processed stuff I would avoid

If using the unprocessed stuff make sure you take in the full amount of vitamins with quality whole foodstuffs or a good vitamin supplement like Pharmaton

I only have a Malaysian outlet for the good stuff. In Thailand it does not appear that gastric problems are caused by eating rice rice rice without sufficient fibre.

I have developed many recipes for Psyllium based dishes including fibre rice cakes etc.

If you wish to talk about introducing the stuff into Thailand please contact me

Thanks

Guy Lakeman

You will find me on the internet search engines.

check health food stores and I have seen it a few times at Rimping grocery stores. They sell the basic psyillium seed husks for about 250 baht per 200 grams.

If your in Chiang Mai then both health food stores have it. Baan Suan Pak store and Aden store both have it on the shelves.

It's imported from India so maybe Indian markets and stores have it also but I have never searched them.

Well, not sure how you define cheap, but I have found the Mucillin variety at a number of outlets, including small drug stores inside some Tops Markets and the really good drug store at Wave Place...not to mention some of the smaller along-the-street pharmacies that are so common here in Thailand.

The local Berlin Thai version of Mucillin 400mg is available widely, but the best price I've found is Fascino -- 176 Baht with their 5% discount card. ( 185 Baht normally )

GNC has a large tub of powdered Psyllium Husks -- Not sure of the weight -- Last time I checked it was around 1300 Baht -- also available at some Tops Markets.