How To Start A Small Import Company?

NorThai

Hallo everybody ;-)

I am a man from Norway who would like to start

a import company in Thailand (sorry for my english writing).

I think my product will do very well over time i Thailand, because it`s a

product that almost everybody will need, it`s a big hit in Europe and I and some freids can not find in Thailand. Dont wont to tell you any more :D .

Can somebody please tell me what and how I start up, what lisen or paper I need,

where to go etc.

Is it hard to do? What tax is it for a import company?

Hope you will take your time to tell me in the EASY way :o

It is relatively easy, just get a large collection of Euro (any currency will do so long as it is legal tender) and head off to a competent lawyer (we recommend forum sponsor Sunbelt Asia, there are others) and they will guide you through all the ins and outs of business setups in the Land Of Smiles.

By the way use of URL's in your signature line is not permitted, I would recommend a check of the forum rules.

As some products need import licenses that have to be obtained beforehand, you should discuss the products you intend to import with a freight forwarder of your trust. If you trust me, send me a PM... :o

Hallo again, and thank you all for your answers :D

Will it be more easy to put the import company in my thai girls name? I trust my girl 100%, and then some :o

If we do that, how about the ownership? 51% thai and 49% to me? is this legal?

What I want to import is small spraybox, about same size as a insect killer, hight about 25 cm and a dimater about 8 cm.

that would be the way to go. In a very short future, you will need only three shareholders instead of seven. I recommend you waiting with the registration until it is put into practice.

What I want to import is small spraybox, about same size as a insect killer, hight about 25 cm and a dimater about 8 cm.

What is in the spraybox? Check whether or not it requires an import license or is considered dangerous cargo which results in possible restrictions for the transport.

Hallo again, and thank you all for your answers :D

Will it be more easy to put the import company in my thai girls name? I trust my girl 100%, and then some :o

When I was based in Thailand I lived with my Dutch wife in the house of a Belgium national married officially in Belgium wirth a Thai lady, but NOT registraded in Thailand.

Had a son of 7 and a daughter of 1 year with his Thai " wife" .

In TH his car+botor bike rental co, his two houses, his import co and his reastaurant were registered on his " wife' s name.

On a certain day he returned from a business trip, went to his restaurant and ordered a beer. 50 baht, was the reply of the waitress. Heh, come on, I OWE this place. No, it belongs to that lady and that man ovethere !. The lady: that's correct, my wife !, but that man: heard of. " Solly, but they got mallied yestelday.

Your belongings / clothes are in a big plastic bag in flont of the gate ...

And MINE... were all gone, except those clothes no Thai could use. But TV, video till all my wife's clothes .. on the body of several family members of the Thai lady. Just prove they are mine ... How ??

that would be the way to go. In a very short future, you will need only three shareholders instead of seven. I recommend you waiting with the registration until it is put into practice.

What is in the spraybox? Check whether or not it requires an import license or is considered dangerous cargo which results in possible restrictions for the transport.

Once again, thank you all for your time to answer :o

Where do I go for check if my "product" need a import license or not, and if there is a restriction for the transport? And how do I get a "import license"?

Regarding the ownership, do yo now when we can go from 7 shareholders to just 3 shareholders? Or what is your best guess?

Where do I go for check if my "product" need a import license or not, and if there is a restriction for the transport? And how do I get a "import license"

To find this out you should contact your freight forwarder here in Thailand. If you do not have a freight forwarder you can PM either Raro or myself, we both work for freight forwarding companies here in Thailand.

The first thing we would need to know is exactly what the product is. In a previous post you stated, "small spraybox, about same size as a insect killer, hight about 25 cm and a dimater about 8 cm". Will you only be importing the sprayer or will you also be importing the stuff inside the sprayer?

This along with a picture should be enough to give an estimated Duty amount, although if this is something that has never been imported into Thailand before, as your post suggests, then this will only be an estimate.

If you are bringing the actual chemical spray then you will also need to provide your freight forwarder with an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet), your supplier can give you this.

As to what you would need in order to get an import liscense, that would depend upon the import liscense needed, but don't get to worried about this point as the majority of products do not require import permits. This can be checked by your freight forwarder at the same time they check the import duty.

One other consideration is that now that the customs department has implemented Paperless Customs Processing, you will need to have your company registered (or know someone who will let you use theirs) in order to apply for "paperless" in order to import your products.

I would advise:

Step one: Get a hold of a freight forwarder to find out about the import duty and if an import permit will be needed as well as other logistics costs

Step two: Do a business plan to assess if the business makes sense

Step three: If it makes sense, form a company

Step four: Start selling...

• 3 weeks later...
Where do I go for check if my "product" need a import license or not, and if there is a restriction for the transport? And how do I get a "import license"

To find this out you should contact your freight forwarder here in Thailand. If you do not have a freight forwarder you can PM either Raro or myself, we both work for freight forwarding companies here in Thailand.

Hope your not taking this in the wrong way, but how can I trust you about not stealing my idea, and start this import your self?

Hope your not taking this in the wrong way, but how can I trust you about not stealing my idea, and start this import your self?

if freight forwarders would steal the business ideas of their customers they would be pretty fast out of their core (freight) business. This makes the round very quickly!

Look at a freight forwarder as a lawyer...you MUST trust him (and find one that you do trust) and tell him your story completely. Then you and the freight forwarder will work out a strategy as how to pack and declare your product the best way.

Remember, the freight forwarder is interested in YOUR success, as the more you ship, the more business for him.