Pickled Ginger

mssabai

I absolutely love pickled ginger and am happy to eat it straight from the packet, but would like to use it in a recipe. I have only ever eaten it with sushi or with an Isaan dish of sour fried chicken, eaten with ginger and chillis. Does anyone have any good suggestions? Thai or otherwise? I live in Thailand so Thai is preferable so that I can get the ingredients easily.

Thanks!

I absolutely love pickled ginger and am happy to eat it straight from the packet, but would like to use it in a recipe. I have only ever eaten it with sushi or with an Isaan dish of sour fried chicken, eaten with ginger and chillis. Does anyone have any good suggestions? Thai or otherwise? I live in Thailand so Thai is preferable so that I can get the ingredients easily.

Thanks!

I don't have a recipe for you. :o

I love the pickled ginger too. I usually have it with Japan rice bowl, beef/teriyaki chicken.

Which kind do you like, they come in a fine flat thin slice or slice like "som tham"

:D

Thanks!

I don't have a recipe for you. :o

I love the pickled ginger too. I usually have it with Japan rice bowl, beef/teriyaki chicken.

Which kind do you like, they come in a fine flat thin slice or slice like "som tham"

:D

The flat ones....just remembered that Thais eat it with duck and rice dishes too so am going to try and duck breast stir fry with it on the side - I'll let you know how it turns out!

• 2 weeks later...

Khing Dong (Pickled Ginger) ขิงดอง

350 g. young ginger

1 cup white vinegar

1 cup white sugar

1 cup water

1 tablespoon salt

Peel, wash and slice the ginger and steep in salted water for approximately one hour.(1 cup of water and 2/3 tablespoon of salt)

Drain ginger, rinse it and squeeze out excess water. Place ginger in heat proof container.

Combine remaining ingredients and bring to the boil . When the sugar has dissolved, strain over the ginger. Leave for at least one week before use.