Oishi Rip-off Phuket

g00dgirl

Decided to try to the OISHI Buffet at Index Mall in Phuket for the first time since it was so highly recommended to me (by a foreign couple) as costing a bit over 300 Baht per person for all you can eat.

Came very late at night after a hospital visit, not very hungry anyway, just wanting to do a friends little girl a favour who wanted Sushi.

The 3 of us being two foreign girls and one 5 yo girl.

I am honestly not used to being ripped off, having lived in Phuket for 2.5 years and usually I am with Thai people and speak Thai.

At the door Thai staff pretended not to understand me speaking either Thai or English (when I asked for just a quick light snack, asking whether that was an option at all or if there was only the all you can eat on offer), and got quoted in bad English 600 something Baht, child free, me knowing the price I assumed that was the quote for us two adults but I was already a bit suspicious given the attitude of the staff at the door. Decided to go in anyway. I thought they can not possibly charge us 600 per person, close to closing time and the place not being crowded or anything.

In the middle of our meal a girl brings the bill to the table (I mean what is that anyway, disturbing peple in the middle of eating asking for payment??). I didnt even realize she wanted to get the cash right there and then. Seriously charged 699 Baht per person!

It was noisy, you have to get everything yourself from water to cutlery, running around all the time.

I will never go back there and will instead keep enjoying weekly meals at MK Restaurant in Central, where I get much tastier food (self cooked in a pot of boiling water on the table for those who don't know MK), filling up two people and coming to about 400 - 500 Baht including roasted duck, free re-filled Ice tea and excellent and polite service at the table.

Yesterday we tried the new steak/soup/salad buffet in Jungceylon called BKK Grill (inside/left rear entrance). Most steaks are 169 baht, includes all you can eat soup/salad. Excellent salad bar, range of very nice soups, well cooked/presented pork steak, fries, toast (??). Clean place, good service. I highly recommend.

Hi g00dgirl, sorry to hear you had a bad experience dining out especially at those places and the crap drive to Index added on top. I'm sure the staff weren't much help either. When your friends mentioned that Oishi was 300 baht they were probably thinking of the Bangkok version which is really Oishi Xpress. Same concept but cheaper and you have 90 mins to finish eating instead of the set times of Oishi.

The restaurant they opened in Phuket is an original Oishi restaurant and those charge between 450-600 baht depending on the time slot you come in to eat. eg 1430-1700 is 450 baht and 1730-2000 is 600. Its just charging more for the more popular times. I guess the misundertanding just occurred in between your friend's description and the poor explanations of the service staff. The collection of the bill just after you are seated is also normal practice since most people leave close to the end of the allocated time and its just not practical to collect every table at once and the quoted price doesn't include VAT and service charge which is why the bill came up larger than normal. Not excusing bad service but that's just the way it is.

Hope you've calmed down a bit now and there plenty of places in Phuket where you can have a good meal :o

Hi g00dgirl, sorry to hear you had a bad experience dining out especially at those places and the crap drive to Index added on top. I'm sure the staff weren't much help either. When your friends mentioned that Oishi was 300 baht they were probably thinking of the Bangkok version which is really Oishi Xpress. Same concept but cheaper and you have 90 mins to finish eating instead of the set times of Oishi.

My friends are here in Phuket and go often to OISHI at Index. They pay 300 per person and no time limit was ever given to them for the all you can eat.

By the way, on my receipt yesterday they wrote "OISHI Express".

The restaurant they opened in Phuket is an original Oishi restaurant and those charge between 450-600 baht depending on the time slot you come in to eat. eg 1430-1700 is 450 baht and 1730-2000 is 600. Its just charging more for the more popular times. I guess the misundertanding just occurred in between your friend's description and the poor explanations of the service staff. The collection of the bill just after you are seated is also normal practice since most people leave close to the end of the allocated time and its just not practical to collect every table at once and the quoted price doesn't include VAT and service charge which is why the bill came up larger than normal. Not excusing bad service but that's just the way it is.

Hope you've calmed down a bit now and there plenty of places in Phuket where you can have a good meal :o

I actually haven't gotten over it yet and seriously consider to research a bit what options I have to do something about it. Not to get back money, but for the principle.

300 baht as much as you can eat Sushi ??? On Phuket ?? Yeah right..

OK you open one and I will come and eat there.. We will see what kind of money that makes.. I go to fuji and some sushi, some snacky bits, easy 1k per person spent if you dont order the 'fill up on rice' set meals.

How can the above be considered a rip off ?? You asked the price, they told you, you even got a child to eat free in that..

My friends are here in Phuket and go often to OISHI at Index. They pay 300 per person and no time limit was ever given to them for the all you can eat.

By the way, on my receipt yesterday they wrote "OISHI Express".

I actually haven't gotten over it yet and seriously consider to research a bit what options I have to do something about it. Not to get back money, but for the principle.

Checked the website and all the Express outlets are only in Bangkok. The one in Phuket is stated as being a full branch. I hope you do get an apology at least from the management but at the same time get ready to pull your hair out in frustration. Good luck!

I just found something, looks like I am not the only one who made the observation that OISHI Phuket is charging different prices for the same deal:

Underhand tactics employed by Oishi Phuket

The fact remains, my friends get charged there 300 Baht per person, so do other Thai people, for their buffet

while some other people get charged more than double that price for the same thing.

OK you open one and I will come and eat there.. We will see what kind of money that makes.. I go to fuji and some sushi, some snacky bits, easy 1k per person spent if you dont order the 'fill up on rice' set meals.

How can the above be considered a rip off ?? You asked the price, they told you, you even got a child to eat free in that..

I've eaten there 4 or 5 times. Always paid 300, maybe 350. Decent sushi.

Don't know if they've changed owners recently?

I just found something, looks like I am not the only one who made the observation that OISHI Phuket is charging different prices for the same deal:

The fact remains, my friends get charged there 300 Baht per person, so do other Thai people, for their buffet

while some other people get charged more than double that price for the same thing.

Now that does surprise me that they would do that. All Oishi restaurants are company owned and not franchises so it would take a company directive to make that happen. After reading the article I'm interested to see what the advertising material in Thai looks like so I can confirm for myself. The other option is ofcourse to eat there the next time I'm in Phuket but there's so many other places I'd rather spend an evening at.

It's true. I've eaten there lots of times and always had a good experience. They charge tax and service so it actually works out more like 360 baht but it is a good deal for what you get.

I didn't know they charged more for different times of day but I guess it might be true. I've never eaten there in the evening.

Well as I go to fuji about once a week.. and usually drop about 2k for the pair of us.. I am deffo going to check it out..

Good Sushi has to cost that surely ??

Name em & shame em & boycott them. Rip off artists. Yeah it would be too easy for them to put a check bin on your table & then you pay on the way out.

Sort of like China under Dung.

Normally they should have a sign outside telling you times & prices. If not ask to see a printed menu.

Lowest possible level of English comprehension. When they pretend to be dumb they aren't acting.

Agree Fuji rocks.

Well as I go to fuji about once a week.. and usually drop about 2k for the pair of us.. I am deffo going to check it out..

Good Sushi has to cost that surely ??

Not as good as Fuji, but I always enjoyed it. Go afternoon time and avoid the bus loads of Koreans...

Good Girl, you have been in Thailand for over 2.5 years and you still have not gotten over it? Please it was merely a 400 baht lesson and another lesson in making sure the price is clear first. A lesson that I seem to have to learn over and over.

Next time you go near Index go to Farang Restaurant. Great food, western food, affordable and good service. My favorite is the grilled mixed vegtable salad with balsamic. its right next to index on Chaofa.

I am still baffled tho.. Was in Fuji last night and just one dish of Sashimi was almost 500 baht.. Another 2 or 3 dishes on the table were nearly 300 each (that smoked eel is soooo good)..

I will have to go have a check.. The missus can eat sushi like a demon, take her and they will never make money.

Next time you go near Index go to Farang Restaurant. Great food, western food, affordable and good service. My favorite is the grilled mixed vegtable salad with balsamic. its right next to index on Chaofa.

gotta say i agree with misterman here. farang is a wonderful little restaurant with wonderful food at great prices. kit, the owner, used to be one of the chefs at Kuppa in bangkok, so he knows his stuff.

can confirm Oishi charges around 300 baht per person, plus tax and service charge, no matter what time of day. they used to have different pricing for different times, cheaper at lunch than dinner etc but scrapped that quite some time ago. definitely looks like they ripped u off.

the maki is not great compared to Fuji but sashimi is fine. did get food poisoning from there about 4 months ago though =(

can confirm Oishi charges around 300 baht per person, plus tax and service charge, no matter what time of day. they used to have different pricing for different times, cheaper at lunch than dinner etc but scrapped that quite some time ago. definitely looks like they ripped u off.

the maki is not great compared to Fuji but sashimi is fine. did get food poisoning from there about 4 months ago though =(

So then does that mean the staff pocketed the difference on the OP?

Someone might want to send a link to this thread to their corporate in Bangkok.

• 7 months later...

I just wanted to look for the Oishi's contact number as I want to go for a buffet dinner with friends tonight. This topic was long ago but I'd like to add my comment that......I'm Thai and was born in Thailand. I'm actually very appreciated OIshi that they do a great Japanese buffet for a very low price. Therefore, many Thais can enjoy Japanese food. Fuji is better taste but...it is way too expensive or you would have to pay much more than what you would pay at Oishi. Please, don't call that rip off. I think the price is very cheap already for what you get. I don't think that they tried to cheat on you as all the invoice will be recorded. It must be somethings misunderstanding. Even you mentioned that you speak good Thai but honestly....As a Thais, sometimes it is hardly to understand Farang speaking Thai too. But some farangs also speak excellent Thai. Big hands!!!! Even they charge 700 baht/meal, I will still want to eat there. I think, that this place is really value for money. And I will still go there and recommend it to my friends. Gotta go and have some sushi now!!! Yummy!! Happy New Year everyone =) :o

I just wanted to look for the Oishi's contact number as I want to go for a buffet dinner with friends tonight. This topic was long ago but I'd like to add my comment that......I'm Thai and was born in Thailand. I'm actually very appreciated OIshi that they do a great Japanese buffet for a very low price. Therefore, many Thais can enjoy Japanese food. Fuji is better taste but...it is way too expensive or you would have to pay much more than what you would pay at Oishi. Please, don't call that rip off. I think the price is very cheap already for what you get. I don't think that they tried to cheat on you as all the invoice will be recorded. It must be somethings misunderstanding. Even you mentioned that you speak good Thai but honestly....As a Thais, sometimes it is hardly to understand Farang speaking Thai too. But some farangs also speak excellent Thai. Big hands!!!! Even they charge 700 baht/meal, I will still want to eat there. I think, that this place is really value for money. And I will still go there and recommend it to my friends. Gotta go and have some sushi now!!! Yummy!! Happy New Year everyone =) :o

Great plug!.... Have you got a vested interest in Oishi ? :D

Syl.

well coming from an area in canada where theres a ton of jap immigrant opening sushi restaurants... ill tell you

Oishi taste like rat poop

Fuji's sushi is average at best, rest of meals are GREAT though...

The thai dude making 6baht sushi at the market, easly destroy those 2 places..

I hope everyone boycots oishi, not only are the staff rude, the prices are terrible and the food is uneatable. Oishi express in central was my worse experience in thailand, and their delivery last year was one of my worst diarrhea right after the unboiled squid salad.

death to oishi.

• 1 year later...
In the middle of our meal a girl brings the bill to the table (I mean what is that anyway, disturbing peple in the middle of eating asking for payment??).....

It was noisy, you have to get everything yourself from water to cutlery, running around all the time.

It is a feeding trough. What do you expect? Fine china and lace table cloths? :)

Well, I am supposing yo uare overweight, do not eat the last 2 days before to go there ....

In Phuket townm there are 2 restaurants where you eat as much as you want for little as 130 bht. KP restaurant and the one near Super Cheap.

Also, for you instruction, yes 300 bht (without VAT) is the usual price for that restaurant (with a time limit).

Enjoy you copious meal.

Since this thread I went and checked it out.. both times I have been it was 399 or 398 baht per person (a couple of coins under 400) for a late morning / lunchtime visit.

Sushi and Sashimi low end.. But price is a giveaway.. Japanese snow crab if you ask.. Table hotpot scene if you want.. Teriyaki (spelling !!) if you want.. some salads.. Some soups.. Some OK deserts..

Eat and have a couple of espressos.. And drinks.. For 400 baht.. I would spend half that on a couple of after meal espressos in most places.

Fail to see what there is to complain about, sure its not high end anything, its stack em high and sell it cheap philosophy. Same in fuji (which seems to be getting sloppy in central lately) would be 3 or 4 times the money for the same.

Since this thread I went and checked it out.. both times I have been it was 399 or 398 baht per person (a couple of coins under 400) for a late morning / lunchtime visit.

Sushi and Sashimi low end.. But price is a giveaway.. Japanese snow crab if you ask.. Table hotpot scene if you want.. Teriyaki (spelling !!) if you want.. some salads.. Some soups.. Some OK deserts..

Eat and have a couple of espressos.. And drinks.. For 400 baht.. I would spend half that on a couple of after meal espressos in most places.

Fail to see what there is to complain about, sure its not high end anything, its stack em high and sell it cheap philosophy. Same in fuji (which seems to be getting sloppy in central lately) would be 3 or 4 times the money for the same.

seconded

low price for good "exotic" food, unlimited amount of food and drinks in 2 hours. Sushi, Sashami, Teppanyaki, Dimsum less expensive than any fastfood/alacarte Japs place

Need to go there every week :)

In the middle of our meal a girl brings the bill to the table (I mean what is that anyway, disturbing peple in the middle of eating asking for payment??).....

It is a feeding trough. What do you expect? Fine china and lace table cloths? :)

Your words of wisdom are a response to a post made two years previous to yours. Perhaps the OP has moved on to better dining experiences since then?

Look at the menu/special offer board and pay the price quoted.....no way of a misunderstanding then.....east peasy, common practice in restaurants worldwide.