Retirement Visa Renewal And Exit Permit Problem

My retirement visa expires Nov 15 and I will renew with 800K in the bank in September.

I will leave for America on Oct. 1 for about 7 months.

Will the exit permit issued for the Oct. 1 trip be valid when I return in 7 months?

I heard the exit permit expires when the visa extension expires on Nov. 15, 2008?

Any suggestions??

Edited by gguy

gguy

I think you are refering to a Re-Entry Permit which as you say will be valid until your

extension expires.

If you are permitted to do your extension as early as in Sept

your extension will then expire on 15th Nov 2009

After that you then apply for your Re-Entry Permit which will also expire on 15th Nov 2009

The permit is not for use when you leave - but is your Permit to return

and it is the Permit's reference number that you quote on your arrival card when you return.

If you show your Air Ticket to Immigration they will normally allow Retirees to extend earlier than normal

which is usually within the 30 days prior to your current extension's expiry.

Bill

Edited by WilliamIV

gguy

I think you are refering to a Re-Entry Permit which as you say will be valid until your

extension expires.

and it is the Permit's reference number that you quote on your arrival card.

Bill

So if I renew in Sept. and get a reentry permit, how long is the reentry permit valid? Is it valid until Nov 15 2008 0r 2009?

gguy

extension expires.

Bill

So if I renew in Sept. and get a reentry permit, how long is the reentry permit valid? Is it valid until Nov 15 2008 0r 2009?

The re-entry permit will match the expiry date of your new permit of stay

It is generally understood that a renewal of period of stay is given from one month before the expiry date (in your case Oct 15 2008)

If they agree to extend it earlier than one month before (you talk of September) good for you.

Let us know hoe it goes

Correct.

Once they approve your new extension (which will be valid till nov 2009) the old permitted to stay stamp will be void.

Hence the re-entry permit will also be valid till 2009.

The only problem will be to get immigration to process your renewal so early.

Better go armed with a ticket showing your departure date AND your return date, so that they can clearly see that you'll return after the expiry date of your current permitted to stay stamp.

Worst case scenario, they will refuse, meaning that you'll have to come back next year on a 30 day exempt stamp, go straight to immigration with your bank paperwork showing that the 800,000 Baht is in the bank for at least 3 months.

They will change your status back to non immigrant (2000 Baht) and give you a new 1 year extension (1900 Baht).

You're lucky in the fact that a retirement extension is the easiest to process, and decisions can be made on a local level.

gguy

extension expires.

Bill

Hi gguy

Seems you quoted my Post before I Edited it !!

Please read my Full Edited Post

Thanks

Bill

Correct.

Once they approve your new extension (which will be valid till nov 2009) the old permitted to stay stamp will be void.

Hence the re-entry permit will also be valid till 2009.

The only problem will be to get immigration to process your renewal so early.

Better go armed with a ticket showing your departure date AND your return date, so that they can clearly see that you'll return after the expiry date of your current permitted to stay stamp.

Worst case scenario, they will refuse, meaning that you'll have to come back next year on a 30 day exempt stamp, go straight to immigration with your bank paperwork showing that the 800,000 Baht is in the bank for at least 3 months.

They will change your status back to non immigrant (2000 Baht) and give you a new 1 year extension (1900 Baht).

You're lucky in the fact that a retirement extension is the easiest to process, and decisions can be made on a local level.

The potential Problem with letting your current Visa Extension expire is that while you are away

Regulations MIGHT change. For Example the currently required 800K Bank Deposit could be increased for

new applicants - as you would then be.

Whereas if you do manage to extend your Visa before you leave - past practise has been

to "GrandFather" existing extension holders.

Bill

Edited by WilliamIV

My retirement visa expires Nov 15 and I will renew with 800K in the bank in September.

That 800k needs to be in the bank 3-months prior to renewal. So, even if Immigration lets you renew early (i.e., the week before your 1 Oct departure), you're now almost out of time to get that money into the bank....

Worst case scenario, they will refuse, meaning that you'll have to come back next year on a 30 day exempt stamp,

Even worst case is: the airline won't let you on the plane 'cause you don't have a return ticket.....which is required (although not always enforced) when you don't have a visa.

I will leave for America on Oct. 1 for about 7 months.

Will the exit permit issued for the Oct. 1 trip be valid when I return in 7 months?

I heard the exit permit expires when the visa extension expires on Nov. 15, 2008?

Any suggestions??

A little crazy ?

If you will leave for 7 MONTHS i think you are not a retiree in Thailand.

Don't make anything, when you will come back you will make a new extension... :o:D:D

Not "crazy" at all!

Everybody's circumstances differ in many ways.

If one qualifies in all aspects for "Retirement" status, let the authorities make the rules.

No need for anyone here to say what is right or wrong.

I imagine there is many retirees living in many countries who for one reason or another, want or need to venture out at times.

The need here is to satisfy the government that you qualify, many feel that the rules are quite strict already.

Leave well-enough alone.

Who are you to say that the poster after his absence this time, may stay put for many years without leaving again!

Not "crazy" at all!

Everybody's circumstances differ in many ways.

If one qualifies in all aspects for "Retirement" status, let the authorities make the rules.

No need for anyone here to say what is right or wrong.

I imagine there is many retirees living in many countries who for one reason or another, want or need to venture out at times.

The need here is to satisfy the government that you qualify, many feel that the rules are quite strict already.

Leave well-enough alone.

Who are you to say that the poster after his absence this time, may stay put for many years without leaving again!

Well said.

I have a house and business in America and an apartment in Thailand. I travel a fair bit for work.

If I meet the age and financial requirements and contribute to the economy of Thailand with funds earned outside the country why should my length of stay matter?

Far more legitimate IMO than those who are supposedly here on a "tourist visa" but are actually working or managing their business in Thailand Off the Record!!

~WISteve