Thai Reference Grammar - The Structure Of Spoken Thai - Good Book ?

mynextgig

I started learning Thai about 6 months ago, I bought the "Structure of Spoken Thai" and thought it was quite complex so bought "Teach Yourself Thai" By David Smith. It was good, gave me an understanding of the different tones as well as a basic vocabulary and reading/writing skills. Although I still see myself on a basic level my wife thinks i can speak quite well and to the thai thats not familiar with me if I speak the right words he thinks I am fluent, sure fool him. I am now going to progress onto the more complex "Structure of Spoken Thai" but living in Indonesia and also trying to learn Bahasa Indonesian for work its quite difficult to find the time.

Thai Reference Grammar - The Structure of Spoken Thai

Today I went to Asia books and Kinokuniya in Emporium. Neither had it, although Kinokuniya had the other grammar book (expensive).

Does anyone know where to get it in BK?

You can order it from DK book top floor Siam Paragon - about Bt8xx + 2-3 days

Today I went to Asia books and Kinokuniya in Emporium. Neither had it, although Kinokuniya had the other grammar book (expensive).

Silom complex (BTS Sala Daeng sky-bridge connection) The small bookshop just round to the left of the sky-bridge entrance (Bookazine I think, although it maybe Asia books) had about 4 copies, although one less now as I bought one last Saturday. I can check again today (if I remember).

It is Bookazine, Silom Complex. 2 copies left.

Thanks for this info. Very useful. Make that 0 copies left in Bookazine. Apologies to any others who may have been heading up there, but I nicked in and got the last copy today. Excellent book by the way. Very clear and comprehensive from what I've briefly seen already.

mk

P.S. Bookazine is a right turn from the skywalk entrance...

It might be worth adding for the benefit of anyone who's in BKK and still looking for a copy that inside mine was a bookmark from Orchid Press that says: Visit our bookshop, Orchid Books, at (guess where) No. 411, 4th Floor, Silom Complex, 191 Silom Road, Bangkok. Don't know if anyone's tried there yet, but you never know, it might just be the case that the people from Bookazine are nipping upstairs every time they run out...

Silom complex (BTS Sala Daeng sky-bridge connection) The small bookshop just round to the left of the sky-bridge entrance (Bookazine I think, although it maybe Asia books) had about 4 copies, although one less now as I bought one last Saturday. I can check again today (if I remember).

It is Bookazine, Silom Complex. 2 copies left.

Thanks for this info. Very useful. Make that 0 copies left in Bookazine. Apologies to any others who may have been heading up there, but I nicked in and got the last copy today. Excellent book by the way. Very clear and comprehensive from what I've briefly seen already.

mk

P.S. Bookazine is a right turn from the skywalk entrance...

Bought mine in in Central, Bang Na.

You can order it from DK book top floor Siam Paragon - about Bt8xx + 2-3 days

I tried to order it from DK Books in Chiang Mai today. They said they could not, because it is out of print---which confirms what a previous poster said. So, if you want one, better get it soon! However, I did find copies in CM, at Gecko Books, which is mostly a used bookstore, but had some new copies of this for sale.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the link, 5tash. I was hoping to get the book while I m in Thailand now as Amazon does not deliver to my country.

I don't remember ever seeing it in any book stores in Thailand.

Amazon deliver to Thailand, perhaps you could order it and get it sent here, that's if your in Thailand long enough.

Good luck with your search!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey friends,

Thai Reference Grammar is available at the Orchid Press Bookshop. Directions to the shop are BTS Skytrain to Sala Daeng station. Exit number 4 and go to shop 411 on the 4th floor. This is an excellent bookshop with all DK and Orchid books - two rooms of books on Asia. More people should know about it.

Your comments and interest in Thai grammar are very stimulating.

Jim

Hey friends,

Thai Reference Grammar is available at the Orchid Press Bookshop. Directions to the shop are BTS Skytrain to Sala Daeng station. Exit number 4 and go to shop 411 on the 4th floor. This is an excellent bookshop with all DK and Orchid books - two rooms of books on Asia. More people should know about it.

Your comments and interest in Thai grammar are very stimulating.

Jim

[/quote

The titles of these books leads me to assume that they are in English. What are the thoughts of non-native English speakers on that? If you want to learn structure is is easier and a lot cheaper to use Thai books. It's analogous to learning phonetics; later people learn that it wasn't necessary. I remember Dr. Marvin Brown at the AUA starting what they called 'immersion', people complained that it didn't work because they were desperate for results. There has to be a balance I suppose but I am glad that whenever I see a translation or definition in English I am sceptical. Defining the meaning of words could make for interesting discussions on this forum but only if it were done in Thai, if English creeps in then it is too easy to disagree.