Import Taxes And Duties On A New Bicycle For Personal Use

I’m maybe in wrong forum. However the moderators are welcome to move the post to a more appropriate forum.

However here comes my question. How much is the import duties and taxes on bicycles to Thailand.

I’m looking at buying a mountain bike from a online store in USA which ship internationally with

FedEx.

The bike was initially priced at US 3k but are now on sale. New price is US 1900,- and I have got estimated a shipping at US 270;-

Total value US 2170,-

Any info welcome. :o

I’m maybe in wrong forum. However the moderators are welcome to move the post to a more appropriate forum.

However here comes my question. How much is the import duties and taxes on bicycles to Thailand.

I’m looking at buying a mountain bike from a online store in USA which ship internationally with

FedEx.

The bike was initially priced at US 3k but are now on sale. New price is US 1900,- and I have got estimated a shipping at US 270;-

Total value US 2170,-

Any info welcome. :o

I am a little surprised; can you not find an equivalent here; I've always found bikes to not be that expensive in Thailand (but then again I only ride tri bikes, which are maybe cheaper here for some reason).

Probike Langsuan, shop in Amarin plaza, Cannondale.... you've checked these places out?

I am a little surprised; can you not find an equivalent here; I've always found bikes to not be that expensive in Thailand (but then again I only ride tri bikes, which are maybe cheaper here for some reason).

Probike Langsuan, shop in Amarin plaza, Cannondale.... you've checked these places out?

The brand in question is not to get here or Singapore.

Sure you get very good bicycles here and they are reasonable compare to Europe. As far as I know bicycles in USA are priced almost on level with Thailand, maybe a bit cheaper in USA, depends on model I think.

However its a bargain to buy a bike in USA, compare to Europe.

Many cyclist take the trip over only for buying a bike and even included the airfare it is cheaper and usually the bikes comes with better components than in Europe.

:o

I found this yesterday http://www.customs.go.th

and when clicking on the Integrated tariff database and then click Custom Tariff and then click Decree 2550 I find import tariffs for a lot of goods but noting on bicycles.

However both tricycles and pedal cars for childres are mentioned (80%), Ski boots (100%) and Nuclear reactors (30%) :o

After a call to the Thai Customs head office and some more search on their web page I finally have found that the import tariff on new bicycles are 40%

:o

quite paeng indeed, in the end you will prolly end up paying more than the original price, including all custom duties, taxes and all extra more or less visible expenses, even if it was discounted 33%. What brand are you going for? What kind of MT biking are you doing, XC?

Edited by aehn

After a call to the Thai Customs head office and some more search on their web page I finally have found that the import tariff on new bicycles are 40%

:D

I asked what it was on a set of wheels from the US cost $400, they said 30 per cent, fine me thinks,. WRONG ,.! charges were 14000 baht, they even rang my wife and asked if the wheels were for an auto or manual car ! :o Edited by mikethevigoman

bank on about 50 to 90 per cent and you wont far wrong, personal use makes no difference whatsoever,.if you get an answer to this and the exact amount il eat my crash helmet !

I found the below by calling the head office and they told me to search on http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/indexEng.jsp

I will however not be surprised if the actual numbers are higher. :o:D

Integrated Tariff Database

2865 Decree 2550 01/01/2550 MM50 : Content of The Customs Tariff Decree Modify 2007

Customs Tariff Search >> Customs Tariff

Section XVII Vehicles, aircraft, vessels and associated transport equipment

Chapter 87

Vehicles other than railway or tramway rolling-stock, and parts and accessories thereof

87.12 Bicycles and other cycles (including delivery tricycles), not motorised. 8712.00.10 - Racing bicycles 40 %

8712.00.20 - Bicycles designed to be ridden by children 40%

8712.00.30 - Other bicycles 40%

8712.00.90 - Other 40%

I shipped a Scott Scale 70 from Europe to BKK

I bought the bike for 850 Euro and was charged 190 Euro to ship it by Air freight

I payed near 9000 baht customs in Thailand

I found this yesterday http://www.customs.go.th

and when clicking on the Integrated tariff database and then click Custom Tariff and then click Decree 2550 I find import tariffs for a lot of goods but noting on bicycles.

However both tricycles and pedal cars for childres are mentioned (80%), Ski boots (100%) and Nuclear reactors (30%) :o

So if you have the choice, better go with Nuclear reactors than with Ski boots.

Both are needed by many people in Thailand

I just hand carried my tri bike in, no duty. Customs tend to be fairly lax at the airport; far more aggressive with things shipped via frieght.

I also imported several parts for my yacht, all paperwork was done properly; used a logistics company; all rates of tax EXACTLY as per the book with a 2,000b fee for inspection and a further 5,000b over time fee on the 500,000b boat; I think 1,900b inspection fee on the 120,000b worth of parts and a fee of 90b recently on a 5,000b GPS (that came in via UPS)

It helps if you have EXACT paperwork and also if you know all the rates. Otherwise, just get a logistics/shipping agent to do it for you (in advance, not some scammer at the airport/customs/cargo depo).

You have to know how the system works.

Incidentally, often sending to a Thai person may help.

I shipped a Scott Scale 70 from Europe to BKK

I bought the bike for 850 Euro and was charged 190 Euro to ship it by Air freight

I payed near 9000 baht customs in Thailand

16% or so on the total amount.

Well that would be nice. Only afraid they will double the % when they see a higher total. :o

• 11 years later...