A Hero's Tail...

HowardJohnson

Quite a provocative statement McGinty. Please leave your assumptions at home.

He is back at the local vets after having surgery. He is recovering and eating. Although he is bouncing around like a punk rocker on acid, it will take some time before he is back home.

Thanks for your continued interest and support.

HoJo

Hey, what great news! It's quite made my day. :o

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the rat is finally home!

The good news is that he is still as manic as ever and does not seem to be affected mentally - other than the fact that he is as stupid as ever!

Unfortunately, they could not fix his jaw 100% as the bones were just too small, but it has healed well enough that he can eat.

He has learned not to stray too far from home and when my missus headed down to the local shop he turned tail and headed back home. Clever boy!

I have attached a couple of pictures so you can see just how ugly he is!

Thanks to everybody for their interest. My missus and daughter say thank you.

Cheers!

HoJo

IMG_0843-1.jpg

IMG_0844-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Luvly story- I'm glad the plucky little fella is OK.

Could have had a similar story at our house outside Ubon, but a very different ending.

We moved our two dogs- a shitzu and a poodle- up to our recently built house up there, to stay with the mother in law.

A village lady came by, with her two dogs in tow- mongrels, but considerably bigger than our rats.

They took a dislike to one of our young nieces and started barking at her- not sure if they were going to bite, but the poor girl was screaming.

Anyway, the Shitzu was in there like a rocket. After about twenty seconds of growling, one of the dogs made a lunge for him.

Well heres where the story doesn't follow the script! Deftly avoiding the dog, the little Shitzu got in behind him, and bit his back leg with his sharp little teeth. He must have pierced a tendon or something, because the dog went down, then turned tail and hobbled off on three legs. The other dog trailed behind, tail between legs.

Strangely, we haven't seen them since. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, just caught up on this.

The rat is doing ok thank you. His stomach wound has completely healed but his jaw is pretty much un-repairable.

This means his mouth is contantly open and his tongue hanging out which in turn means he cannot clean himself or eat hard foods.

So, my mrs has taken to giving him a shower every couple of days and we also leave food on the floor outside the house for him.

He has now decided that he will repay this kindness by standing guard outside our house and barking at everybody and everything that passes.

Great, thanks Rat!

We do try and take him back to his own place but he still trots back and settles down on our porch.

He seems very happy and is always bouncing around and the only time he is distressed is when he catches his jaw on something. The other day, a cat took a swing at him and the yelping and screams that erupted from him made me think he was dying! But no, he was just scared. I think he's becoming a bit of a drama queen!

Anyway, I'm sure he'll be ok even if he is never going to be 100% right.

Cheers!

HoJo