Farang Drivers Buriram-beware!

fruity

I see you making several assumptions so perhaps why not just let the whole matter drop? Your posting was unclear.

A Thai male of unknown age was hit and killed by a foreigner whose vehicle was on the road with safety violations. (ie one headlight). That is simple enough.

If you had an accident that you thought was the Thai persons fault....would you stop???.you know that Farang is ALWAYS wrong...or 99% of the time. I pose a question.... would you leave the scene??? or would you stay to fight a long battle about how many $$$$$$$$ you will pay....do you think the current discrimination about Foreigners being in the wrong would make you think twice about stopping???.......what should one do... we all have morals...but they can be upheld in the Western world, what about here in Thailand, is it worth it???...........I am Thai by the way but educated in U.K....

If you had an accident that you thought was the Thai persons fault....would you stop???.you know that Farang is ALWAYS wrong...or 99% of the time. I pose a question.... would you leave the scene??? or would you stay to fight a long battle about how many $$$$$$$$ you will pay....do you think the current discrimination about Foreigners being in the wrong would make you think twice about stopping???.......what should one do... we all have morals...but they can be upheld in the Western world, what about here in Thailand, is it worth it???...........I am Thai by the way but educated in U.K....

Whenever I have an accident,my fault or not, I stop and call my insurance to send a representative because I know they don't like to pay.So they will do everything in their power to prove it's not my fault.

I ask because I studied law & think maybe changes should be made, although this is far from my discretion. If you knew the accident was your fault, you are not injured & the Thai National is but only slightly....would you stop???...Hours with the Police, intimidated by the injured parties family. MONEY....MONEY....MONEY....I know in Europe people will stop because the law does not discrmiinate, if anything it favours the Foreign National. In Issan with little help from anyone, the thought of going to prison or paying???$$$$$$$$.....would you stop....???....honest answers, can get away without a problem, or lets face the consequences that are unjust toward oneselfe, no lawyers, no courts, only GIVE ME GIVE GIVE GIVE ME!!!

I dont know if its money money money but I think and believe (tell me if I'm wrong..) someone with the proper insurance should just stop and call insurance+police and get it sorted out.

you pay insurance and you have insurance because u want and need them in case of accident.

actually you shouldn't deal with the "thai family" what so ever ... you have insurance,you covered let the insurance do the "dirty job" for you.

Again,I'm talking about europe,no families here to deal with,all pass the insurances and u just continue with your life ..

Tell me more about thailand rules in this case as I pay insurance for my "peace of mind"..

:o

Insurance will cover you for repairs to the veichle & hospitol fees. If you are in a police box, with an injured person & their family there. What do you do???.... I ask because I know the other side to the situation....IT IS YOUR FAULT!!!....but only minor injuries & damage.....you are asked for

300,000 baht or you can not go??? what do you do....remember you are probably nervous, maybe had one or ONLY 2 drinks.....alone with people all around you speaking a language you dont understand.....think about the situation if you can.....again I pose the question....would you stop or carry on. .....I believe the law should be fair but sometimes it isnt....would you stop or go???

Insurance will cover you for repairs to the veichle & hospitol fees. If you are in a police box, with an injured person & their family there. What do you do???.... I ask because I know the other side to the situation....IT IS YOUR FAULT!!!....but only minor injuries & damage.....you are asked for

300,000 baht or you can not go??? what do you do....remember you are probably nervous, maybe had one or ONLY 2 drinks.....alone with people all around you speaking a language you dont understand.....think about the situation if you can.....again I pose the question....would you stop or carry on. .....I believe the law should be fair but sometimes it isnt....would you stop or go???

If I were a Thai, I might possibly do what the majority do - Do a runner! Off to a Wat in deepest Isaan, lie low for a few weeks and then re-emerge as if nothing had happened. I'm sure there are hundreds of Monks up and down the country who have done just that.

However I am a responsible farang, and my first duty would be to assist any injured person. Then I would ask the insurance company to sort things out. I have first class insurance, which I believe everyone should be compelled to have. If you can afford a car and the petrol then you can afford insurance! Unfortunately only a minority of Thais have full insurance (far too many nothing at all) and many farangs too don't bother beyond the government's compulsory insurance.

It amazes me to read regularly in the newspapers that following a serious accident the driver(s) fled the scene leaving the vehicle(s) behind, but no effort is made to track down the culprits. The vehicle owners make a token payment to the police to reclaim the vehicle, stating they only know the nickname of the driver and have no idea where he came from.

In the UK, leaving the scene of an accident is a serious offence regardless of blame and quite rightly carries serious punishment. Even hitting a dog requires a report to be lodged with the police!

Go,if possible,(but not so easy for a Farang).

The Insurance may take care of things later.

And,please,don't mention morality,survival is more important.IMHO.