Carrefour Is Stealing Money

basjke

so i have to ask this question: if you were undercharged on your bill would you be honest and fess up about it?

1. What does this have to do with the OP's initial question?

2. Why didn't you ask him if he was prone to be a looter just in case a meteor hits Carrefour and kills everyone in the place but him.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I dont think he is an embarrassment to Farang living in Pattaya, Mr Troopo. We all have different views on this, and if he wants to share his bad experience on the forums (to warn others) then good on him. Its people like the person who startd this thread that reminds us to be more vigilant, and make it a little easier living in Thailand.

Well that's great Mrs Pattaya_girl. There are going to be the people who side with such types.

No warning was necessary because the OP was way out of line damning a supermarket point blank for nothing more than a misunderstanding.

Checking receipts in supermarkets should be universally practiced anywhere in the world by adults because supermarket staff are not infallible anywhere.

Making a scene over 54 baht will not make anyone's life easier in Thailand.

I have to agree with Tropo on this one. The whole supermarket concept is flaky in Thailand. How many times have you seen incorrectly labeled stuff on the shelves or had the check-out scanner come up with an unreadable bar-code that requires the check-out staff to hand type the code or worse still, get a price check. If the enterprise cannot guarantee correct pricing and conduct basic stock control, how can you blame the checkout staff? Checking your receipts at the end of the transaction and BEFORE you leave the store is pretty much the standard if you have more than 10 or so items.

But I disagree with Tropo on not counting his pennies but counting his thousands. My granny used to say, 'Take care of your pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves.'

When I go shopping I don't count my pennies but I definitely count my thousands of baht. As I said, you'd have to be comatose to miss being overcharged by 800 baht.

My actual bill was around 17,100 baht.. The total came to 17,800 and something. Not that hard to miss when you're spending a large amount of cash and not counting every baht in your head. I don’t take note of the EXACT price of each item and add it up before going to the check out. Maybe you do, but it doesn’t mean others do.. :D

Anyway, Sir Tropo, Whether I noticed before I paid the bill or not, That is not the point. The point is that I was overcharged because the girl was too busy having a conversation on the phone to concentrate on her work.

Even if I was 100% positive she had double scammed the item. I would have still paid first and pointed it out after, so that she would be put through the inconvenience of having to call a supervisor to refund me, Maybe she would learn her lesson and be more careful next time.

I can just imagine you kicking up quite a fuss - it kinda goes with your personality.

Hey, Im not the one who has never been seen to write a positive post here on Thaivisa! :o

Edited by Meg_ken2003

Unbelieveable...get a life pal....54baht....

Yep a mistake was made and then corrected...move on

If that is all you ever get ripped off for in Thailand you will be doing very well.....

Much more important things to worry about.....

That was exactly my sentiment when I posted "You're a guest in this country. Act like it."

Some small slights you just have to take on the chin and move on. More so, being a foreigner.

You can't "power" your way through every injustice here as you might be able to do in the litigious-crazy, politically-correct West.

Several months ago, I forgot to bring my wallet to a restaurant where I frequent. The amount was small--maybe 75 baht. The cook-owner said to just bring it the next time I come to eat. The next visit I brought my money, and she said, "Oh just forget it, no problem!" Things have a way of "washing even" in a <<mai bpen rai>> culture. Roll with it, with a positive attitude, and good karma will bring good things back to you.

Maybe you just need more time to adjust. :o

Edited by toptuan

A good reply toptuan !! The good thing i think that has come from this post, is that it will remind people to be aware more - I bet that most of the people who read this thread will think about it the next time they are at any checkout checking there change ect...

Read again befor you comment.They corrected a mistake with another mistake.How many mistakes are needed before it is considered no mistake anymore?

You actually think that Carrefour was out to steal from you? Who was going to pocket the windfall? The checkout girl? The manager?

This is absolute nonsense. You're dealing with nothing more than the incompetance of inexperienced staff. It's also likely you compounded the problem by making all the staff nervous with your behaviour.

Carrefour and Villa are supermarkets where I usually check my bill closely because of mistakes they make due to incompetance.

You're lucky you're not living in the US. Such a statement as "Carrefour is Stealing Money" could be considered libelous and you could have been sued. It's a pretty serious damnation over 54 baht that was returned to you, don't you think?

You're an embarrassment to Farang living in Pattaya.

Is it realy an embarrassment when someone points out the incompetance of the staff at carrefour?I tought carrefour are one of the biggest players in the world so why are they not able to recruit trained staff.Maybe because they don't care about their customers?I shop daily in most of the supermarkets in pattaya but it is carrefour who gets the crown about mistakes made.

So how I can make them nervous if they are used to correct mistakes all day long.

But ok it's you word.At least I am not whining about the pictures of the plates look different at fast food restaurants.

Carrefour is crap and there pate is even worse. for a French supermarket you would think they could sell some decent pate?

anyway op. 54 baht and you had it returned? what are you moaning about. there are muppets working in supermarkets all over the world, mistakes happen very often. correct them as you did and move on.

what do you want to do? take them to the criminal courts?

Read again befor you comment.They corrected a mistake with another mistake.How many mistakes are needed before it is considered no mistake anymore?

You actually think that Carrefour was out to steal from you? Who was going to pocket the windfall? The checkout girl? The manager?

This is absolute nonsense. You're dealing with nothing more than the incompetance of inexperienced staff. It's also likely you compounded the problem by making all the staff nervous with your behaviour.

Carrefour and Villa are supermarkets where I usually check my bill closely because of mistakes they make due to incompetance.

You're lucky you're not living in the US. Such a statement as "Carrefour is Stealing Money" could be considered libelous and you could have been sued. It's a pretty serious damnation over 54 baht that was returned to you, don't you think?

You're an embarrassment to Farang living in Pattaya.

Is it realy an embarrassment when someone points out the incompetance of the staff at carrefour?I tought carrefour are one of the biggest players in the world so why are they not able to recruit trained staff.Maybe because they don't care about their customers?I shop daily in most of the supermarkets in pattaya but it is carrefour who gets the crown about mistakes made.

So how I can make them nervous if they are used to correct mistakes all day long.

But ok it's you word.At least I am not whining about the pictures of the plates look different at fast food restaurants.

7-11 is a huge employer as well. Don't you think they could hire folks smart enough to count your change back to you (like what most stores did 20 years ago or more)? He77, most cashiers can't even figure out what amount is your change if it wasn't for the cash register telling them.

I agree with most replying on this post, let it go and move on. I was upset a few weeks back because some low life farang hit the side mirror on my car and didn't have the nads to admit it. I think the fifty some baht is even much less than the amount most were telling me to forget about when I discussed my mirror.

Small amount of money, but Carrefour should anyway have given the OP the bananas for free because of this policy:

Carrefour has a store policy that if the price is incorrect on the bill you get the item for free. It's posted on the wall at the Customer Service Point in English and Thai.

(posted by PattayaParent)

We all need to be aware about overcharging, not long ago in homeworks the cashier tried to charge me b2,000 for a b300 tin of paint, some sort of error with the barcode.

Whether it is b50 or b5000 it is not acceptable and I doubt that we would have any chance of a refund if we didn't notice the mistake until after we had left the shop.

Some thai sales assistants are far too careless when it comes to farang money, they look at you with absolute shock if you question a price or ask for a discount so it wouldn't surprise me that they take less care when adding up our bill.

You're a guest in this country. Act like it.

So as a guest your expected to grin and bear it and if you dont like been riped off go home, nice one topuan. :o

I think what he meant was that as guests here we should not make such a song and dance over a very small mistake in a supermarket and then go around accusing the staff and the supermarket chain of being thieves.

I like Foodland the best anyway. I have always shopped at Foodland and I find all of the staff very very friendly and nice, I always check my change ect wherever I go, but I must say, I have never had any problems at Foodland.

I've also never experienced any problems at Foodland or Friendship, only Big C and Carrefour.

So as a guest your expected to grin and bear it and if you dont like been riped off go home, nice one topuan. :D

Yeah, if you're ripe, maybe it's a good time to go home.... :o

Let me get this straight: A Thai goes shopping in a Carrefour store in Paris, is overcharged (mistake or whatever) at the cashier's but is not expected to complain because he is a guest. Have I got this right?

Hi folks, I don't give a rats how much it is, they did wrong and it should be sorted out on the spot. They, the supermarkets, have been didling people the world over for years. And today with barcode readers and change totalling tills it can still happen. Plus the items on the shelf can be price labelled different to the cash register price! :o

Let me get this straight: A Thai goes shopping in a Carrefour store in Paris, is overcharged (mistake or whatever) at the cashier's but is not expected to complain because he is a guest. Have I got this right?

Food for thought.

I wonder how a Thai would go complaining about a 1 euro discrepancy in a supermarket in Paris? He'd have to be pretty fluent in French and very careful how he went about it I would imagine.

I wonder how a Thai would go publishing an article "Carrefour are thieves" in a local French publication?

Food for thought.

I wonder how a Thai would go complaining about a 1 euro discrepancy in a supermarket in Paris? He'd have to be pretty fluent in French and very careful how he went about it I would imagine.

I wonder how a Thai would go publishing an article "Carrefour are thieves" in a local French publication?

In a french publication he should better publish " le carrefour sont des voleurs " it would get more attration in france.

And although he is a guest in that country he don't have to take it to get ripped off.

I like Foodland the best anyway. I have always shopped at Foodland and I find all of the staff very very friendly and nice, I always check my change ect wherever I go, but I must say, I have never had any problems at Foodland.

I've also never experienced any problems at Foodland or Friendship, only Big C and Carrefour.

haha watch out for the thai guy who gos into foodland and puts his dirty hands into the salad bar and satisfys his hunger , after i seen that i stopped taking from the salad bar, hes got no money to eat, thats why they put the salad bar up by the staff as u come in, luvly jubly

In a french publication he should better publish " le carrefour sont des voleurs " it would get more attration in france.

And although he is a guest in that country he don't have to take it to get ripped off.

Thanks for that. Correct terminology from a real expert.

Thanks for that. Correct terminology from a real expert.

A real expert would not use singular and plural referring to the same subject :o

No, you haven't. :o