Carrefour Is Stealing Money

basjke

For the life of me, i can't believe the amount of discussion this thread has recieved for the sake of a small error over 59bt that would happen in any supermarket anywhere in the world.

So can everyone just take a deep breath and accept that you just need to expect mistakes so check your receipts and lets move on.

It could happen anywhere in the world on a daily basis! :o

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went for my weekly shopping expedition in Carrefour on Saturday and when the bill came to 3,500+ Baht I pointed out that this is <deleted> and in no way could be that much.

When the total was cancelled and everything re-scanned the correct bill was 650+ Baht but when I mentioned the store policy of if the bill is wrong then the items are fee the understanding of English ceased.

I was choosing a hand car wash bottle at only 65baht,this was for washing my motorcycle and a young thai kid came to me and asked me to look at the 368 baht high quality shampoo for cars.He thought i would change to this product as i am a rich farang so i asked why the other wasnt ok,he said the product was no good.I then told him the shampoo was for motorbike and because it was no good i put it back on the fixture.The cheeky young man said why i not buy the most expensive product then.My thoughts were to just walk away without saying anything but i stayed for my normal shopping and the thai kid followed me until i left his area.

Is this an uneducated,country boy as some poster said or just some one who has never had training in selling.I was under the impression that many of these thai personall are university thais or at least collegue graduates and not country girls/boys.

Went for my weekly shopping expedition in Carrefour on Saturday and when the bill came to 3,500+ Baht I pointed out that this is <deleted> and in no way could be that much.

When the total was cancelled and everything re-scanned the correct bill was 650+ Baht but when I mentioned the store policy of if the bill is wrong then the items are fee the understanding of English ceased.

Guess you should have gone for those Thai lessons after all :o

I was choosing a hand car wash bottle at only 65baht,this was for washing my motorcycle and a young thai kid came to me and asked me to look at the 368 baht high quality shampoo for cars.He thought i would change to this product as i am a rich farang so i asked why the other wasnt ok,he said the product was no good.I then told him the shampoo was for motorbike and because it was no good i put it back on the fixture.The cheeky young man said why i not buy the most expensive product then.My thoughts were to just walk away without saying anything but i stayed for my normal shopping and the thai kid followed me until i left his area.

Is this an uneducated,country boy as some poster said or just some one who has never had training in selling.I was under the impression that many of these thai personall are university thais or at least collegue graduates and not country girls/boys.

I've met BG's that are university graduates, isn't worth the paper it's written on in Thailand.

If one does have a university degree, why would they want to work in a supermarket in the first place?

In the western world it's the lowest grade of work available.

Did you notice,Pattaya is not in the western world sir.Also there isnt that many quality jobs in Pattaya so many ladies go for supermarket work and you do need a reasonable education to get these jobs.

Sorry, but i thought we were talking about Carrefour which is a western company from France, thats why i compared the level of education that a staff member would have in europe where Carrefour originates.

He probably gets commission on sales of the expensive product and none on the cheapie.

You're a guest in this country. Act like it.

This is the most stupid reply I ever seen.So as a guest in this country you must allow that they steal from you?

I agree, a riduculous reply - is 'Tuan' a synonym for something else as is in 'top -------'?

Not quite as ridiculous as your reply with an even more ridiculous question. :o

I wasn't intending to get anyones back up but as you all you know every satangs a prisoner here. Admittedly you might expect it in Central Issan where you get 9 chickens feet instead of 10 - but Carrefour is an international conglomerate not a rural market. I am quite prepared and have always have paid (when charged) my 'skint' tax to provincial purveyors and the like. The OP posted directly after his experience and was probably pished right off, he probably now realises its more trouble than its really worth and puts it down to experience. To all those who enjoy carping on about how you're a guest in their country, its the culture etc - complete cr*p. A local would never let them get away with it so why should anyone else?

This is the most stupid reply I ever seen.So as a guest in this country you must allow that they steal from you?

I agree, a riduculous reply - is 'Tuan' a synonym for something else as is in 'top -------'?

I wasn't intending to get anyones back up but as you all you know every satangs a prisoner here. Admittedly you might expect it in Central Issan where you get 9 chickens feet instead of 10 - but Carrefour is an international conglomerate not a rural market. I am quite prepared and have always have paid (when charged) my 'skint' tax to provincial purveyors and the like. The OP posted directly after his experience and was probably pished right off, he probably now realises its more trouble than its really worth and puts it down to experience. To all those who enjoy carping on about how you're a guest in their country, its the culture etc - complete cr*p. A local would never let them get away with it so why should anyone else?

By "never let them get away with it" do you mean making sure they get their money back, or not being satisfied with that and trying to get the cashier charged for theft?

There's quite a difference here. If it's the former, then no one should ever let anyone get away with it. I wouldn't either.

But if you mean that not being satisfied with the money back and trying to get the cashier charged for theft, then you're wrong about the locals not letting them get away with it.

99.9% of all people would let them get away with it.

Why? Because to claim a cashier's mistake is theft is absurd and ridiculous.

By "never let them get away with it" do you mean making sure they get their money back, or not being satisfied with that and trying to get the cashier charged for theft?

There's quite a difference here. If it's the former, then no one should ever let anyone get away with it. I wouldn't either.

But if you mean that not being satisfied with the money back and trying to get the cashier charged for theft, then you're wrong about the locals not letting them get away with it.

99.9% of all people would let them get away with it.

Why? Because to claim a cashier's mistake is theft is absurd and ridiculous.

So if you go shopping and you notice a mistake,which you notify KINDLY to the cashier.After a lenghty discussion where they accuse you that you should have known that the price was wrong they make you believe that they corrected the mistake.But in reality they just added more to the bill,so made the mistake even bigger.There was not only a cashier involved in the " correction" but a supervisor also.

And you gonna call this goodwill??

So if you go shopping and you notice a mistake,which you notify KINDLY to the cashier.After a lenghty discussion where they accuse you that you should have known that the price was wrong they make you believe that they corrected the mistake.But in reality they just added more to the bill,so made the mistake even bigger.There was not only a cashier involved in the " correction" but a supervisor also.

I don't get angry that easily. Obviously, they added the discounted price of the bananas but forgot to subtract the original. I assume the cashier made this mistake and the supervisor just assumed she got it right and didn't even check it.

So the cashier made the second mistake. The first mistake was a lack of communication between who sets the sales prices and the stock person who sticks the bar codes on the sale items. Maybe forgot to stick the sale bar code on your bunch of bananas.

With me so far? Two different mistakes made by two separate people. I would simply let them know about the mistake, and if they gave me my money back, I'd be satisfied and let it go.

There's a reason you get such a low price on bananas. The workers there make barely enough money to feed themselves. The more competent, more educated people get better jobs and avoid this type of work.

This is the way the economy works. People want low prices, so they're willing to put up with mistakes made by the incompetent staff working for minimum wage. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

So the answer is yes. I'm gonna call it goodwill. Unless you think this low level worker was trying to steal money from you to give to Carrefour. Because that's who would've pocketed the money for this mistake.

I don't get angry that easily. Obviously, they added the discounted price of the bananas but forgot to subtract the original. I assume the cashier made this mistake and the supervisor just assumed she got it right and didn't even check it.

So the cashier made the second mistake. The first mistake was a lack of communication between who sets the sales prices and the stock person who sticks the bar codes on the sale items. Maybe forgot to stick the sale bar code on your bunch of bananas.

With me so far? Two different mistakes made by two separate people. I would simply let them know about the mistake, and if they gave me my money back, I'd be satisfied and let it go.

There's a reason you get such a low price on bananas. The workers there make barely enough money to feed themselves. The more competent, more educated people get better jobs and avoid this type of work.

This is the way the economy works. People want low prices, so they're willing to put up with mistakes made by the incompetent staff working for minimum wage. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

So the answer is yes. I'm gonna call it goodwill. Unless you think this low level worker was trying to steal money from you to give to Carrefour. Because that's who would've pocketed the money for this mistake.

Actually the supervisor,you know those employees in the smart looking white shirts,made the correction in presence of the cashier.

My point was and is,if they make a mistake it can be corrected without a problem.If they make a second mistake on top of the first one and actually by a supervisor then when isn't it considered a mistake anymore but just a reprisal for the farang complaing about nothing.The customer service who finally gave me back the illegitimate charged amount could also have made a mistake by giving me back short.

But you would still consider it a mistake and keep running around the store trying to get what belongs to you.

Regarding your statement in this and previous post about the so low prices at carrefour,have you ever been shopping yourself?Everybody knows that carrefour is by far the most expensive supermarket in the region.

Regarding your statement in this and previous post about the so low prices at carrefour,have you ever been shopping yourself?Everybody knows that carrefour is by far the most expensive supermarket in the region.

Not correct, that dubious honor goes to Villa Market and with a large margin I might add.

And there you have to be alert too.

cheers

onzestan

Not correct, that dubious honor goes to Villa Market and with a large margin I might add.

cheers

onzestan

Villa although more expensive do stock goods for the more discerning customer eg. western style bacon, pork swords, sauces etc therefore IMHO worth the extra

Edited by Richie1971

cheers

onzestan

Villa although more expensive do stock goods for the more discerning customer eg. western style bacon, pork swords, sauces etc therefore IMHO worth the extra

That's not the point. OP claims Carrefour is the most expensive and it's not.

BTW a Belgian Duvel Beer is 35 Baht more expensive in Villa, and to the best of my knowledge, it's exactly the same beer.

There are some things you can't find anywhere else, but that doesn't justify the higher price for all products IMHO.

Anyway I'm not trying to defend Carrefour, there are a lot of negative things to be said about it, but that doesn't mean one has to tell an outright lie just to make a point.

cheers

onzestan

cheers

onzestan

That's not the point. OP claims Carrefour is the most expensive and it's not.

BTW a Belgian Duvel Beer is 35 Baht more expensive in Villa, and to the best of my knowledge, it's exactly the same beer.

There are some things you can't find anywhere else, but that doesn't justify the higher price for all products IMHO.

Anyway I'm not trying to defend Carrefour, there are a lot of negative things to be said about it, but that doesn't mean one has to tell an outright lie just to make a point.

cheers

onzestan

Sorry my mistake.Villa market will be more expensive on several items but carrefour will be on others.Anyway I didn't consider villa as a supermarket but rather a expanded local.Supermarkets,or should I have called them hypermarkets,in the region under my consideration are Tesco,big c and carrefour.And between them is carrefour by far the most expensive.

It seems like Carrefour really don't know what they are doing..

I went shopping tonight and bought one of those large metal coat hanger things (Sorry, Just can't remember the name of them right now) It was on sale at 699 baht. Got to the check out, and it scanned at 449 baht..

So not only are they overcharging people, they are also undercharging. Looks like they just can't keep on top of getting all the prices right.

Did I mention the error?...................no :o

I am going to stick with Foodland myself, as for the earlier post about the fresh salad stall inside Foodland, it wont effect me as i think its germ breeding anyway, and was warned away from eating that fresh salad which most likely has been sitting there for hours, years back when i use to work in Tesco UK. Its Foodland for me every time - If i want electrical appliances i shop around from Big C or Lotus, really cannot be doing with Carrefore selling off there dinted broken rubbish at full price.

Edited by pattaya_girl

It seems like Carrefour really don't know what they are doing..

I went shopping tonight and bought one of those large metal coat hanger things (Sorry, Just can't remember the name of them right now) It was on sale at 699 baht. Got to the check out, and it scanned at 449 baht..

So not only are they overcharging people, they are also undercharging. Looks like they just can't keep on top of getting all the prices right.

Did I mention the error?...................no :o

So she's stealing from basjke and giving it to Carrefour.

And another cashier (or maybe the same one) is stealing from Carrefour and giving it to you.

Hey basjke, hold the phone on that investigation and subsequent inquiry. We might have a conspiracy of third party theft here. Leave mind the local BIB. This calls for the big boys in Bangkok. :D

Actually the supervisor,you know those employees in the smart looking white shirts,made the correction in presence of the cashier.

My point was and is,if they make a mistake it can be corrected without a problem.If they make a second mistake on top of the first one and actually by a supervisor then when isn't it considered a mistake anymore but just a reprisal for the farang complaing about nothing.The customer service who finally gave me back the illegitimate charged amount could also have made a mistake by giving me back short.

But you would still consider it a mistake and keep running around the store trying to get what belongs to you.

If you're so sure that it was stealing, why don't you go to court?

Don't forget to let us know what happen.

Of course it was 2 mistakes, the second was a big one.

If you want to fight stealing, you should keep your energy for those that are really intended. And there are some in Thailand, and elsewhere.

:o

a Belgian Duvel Beer is 35 Baht more expensive in Villa, and to the best of my knowledge, it's exactly the same beer.

Agreed. Some of the markups on standard items are ridicuous. So you end up buying a few things at Villa that you have to and everything else at competitive prices elsewhere. Seems like Villa would lose more than it gained by this pricing strategy.

Several moderators including myself have deleted posts from this topic with public notices to keep the posts on topic and not decend into personal attacks. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and this topic raises several issues that have caused it to diverge into parallel conversations.

Be aware of the topic or this thread will be closed and people who can't follow the rules will be dealt with accordingly.

Crow Boy

Moderating Team

Thai Visa

Today I went to carrefour pattaya for shopping and among the items I bought were some bananas wich were priced at 29 baht.At the check out however they charged 54 baht,which I noticed before the total was calculated and notified the cashier.After some discussion they agreed that they priced the item wrong and agreed to correct the price to 29 baht with which I was satisfied.Next a superior to the cashier made a recalled sales bill on which the bananas were charged 29 baht and I paid the grand total.While I was walking to the car I checked the bill again and noticed that instead of correcting the price on the bill they just added the 29 baht to the total.So at that time Carrefour was actually stealing 54 baht from me.I went back to the cashier who called that same superior again and they wanted to give me back 54 baht.However at that time I wasn't satisfied anymore with the practices and asked to speak with the manager.They lead me to the customer service where I spoke with another thai lady and who I aked to getthe item free this time but the only thing they offered was giving me back 54 baht.I told them that by charging me for an item I didn't buy (there were 2 times bananas on the bill ) they had stolen money from me.

They simply said it was a mistake and no further compensation would be made.

I agree the wrong pricing was a mistake but charging for an item which you don't buy is is a criminal offence.

I know this is all about peanuts but it is the principle that counts.

If I was to take an 54 baht item from carrefour without paying for it,carrefour would sure call the police which would result in a police report and probably a courtcase if I won't settle the case.If convicted,even for 54 baht,as a foreigner you will be deported from thailand after a few days in jail.

So that is why I ask your advice for the next steps to take as I take this offence serious because if you take something from carrefour you are in the wrong but they can do it without any consquences.

If they offered to correct their mistake then that should be sufficient, I dont think that the staff are going to rip you off as the cash goes to the company, however you seem to be after something you have not paid for i.e. compensation.

The compensation culture is rediculous, have you paid compensation for every mistake you made in your life?

Take your trade elsewhere if you dont like the service, and dont expect to be paid for others simple mistakes.

Take up a hobby and chill out.

Given the laws in Thailand relating o blackening a person or business's name ( even when true) I would urge caution in the future when you choose to blacken someones name.

Roy Gsd :o:D:D

Edited by roygsd

Today I went to carrefour pattaya for shopping and among the items I bought were some bananas wich were priced at 29 baht.At the check out however they charged 54 baht,which I noticed before the total was calculated and notified the cashier.After some discussion they agreed that they priced the item wrong and agreed to correct the price to 29 baht with which I was satisfied.Next a superior to the cashier made a recalled sales bill on which the bananas were charged 29 baht and I paid the grand total.While I was walking to the car I checked the bill again and noticed that instead of correcting the price on the bill they just added the 29 baht to the total.So at that time Carrefour was actually stealing 54 baht from me.I went back to the cashier who called that same superior again and they wanted to give me back 54 baht.However at that time I wasn't satisfied anymore with the practices and asked to speak with the manager.They lead me to the customer service where I spoke with another thai lady and who I aked to getthe item free this time but the only thing they offered was giving me back 54 baht.I told them that by charging me for an item I didn't buy (there were 2 times bananas on the bill ) they had stolen money from me.

I agree the wrong pricing was a mistake but charging for an item which you don't buy is is a criminal offence.

If I was to take an 54 baht item from carrefour without paying for it,carrefour would sure call the police which would result in a police report and probably a courtcase if I won't settle the case.If convicted,even for 54 baht,as a foreigner you will be deported from thailand after a few days in jail.

So that is why I ask your advice for the next steps to take as I take this offence serious because if you take something from carrefour you are in the wrong but they can do it without any consquences.

If they offered to correct their mistake then that should be sufficient, I dont think that the staff are going to rip you off as the cash goes to the company, however you seem to be after something you have not paid for i.e. compensation.

The compensation culture is rediculous, have you paid compensation for every mistake you made in your life?

Take your trade elsewhere if you dont like the service, and dont expect to be paid for others simple mistakes.

Ever read carrefours customer policy??

Given the laws in Thailand relating o blackening a person or business's name ( even when true) I would urge caution in the future when you choose to blacken someones name.

When I read your post for the first time I felt something.When I read it again after your edit the feeling got stronger.

Are you an employee of carrefour?

• 2 weeks later...

Do not assume that all is accidental. I prefer to give the average person the benefit of the doubt on a mistake, but there have been several high profile lawsuits in the USA against stores that deliberately misprice and over price by significant amounts. 1-2% and even 6% adds up when you are grossing 4 billion dollars a year. Several states easily proved their cases by sending in shoppers and meticulously documenting the prices listed versus charged. Stores usually pleaded just sloppy accounting or pricing was out of date, but that was a poor defense.