Expats Can Apply For Credit Cards

george

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hold several foreign CC's.

With the ridiculous rates Thai banks offer for savings, I don't see why I would give them more than what I need to live here.

Also don't see any advantage of holding a Thai CC versus a foreign.

"For expats, domestically issued credit cards will allow you to receive benefits from regular retail promotions, lucky prize draws, discounts and loyalty programmes. By using local cards, foreigners can also save by not having to pay the foreign-exchange fee charged when using foreign-issued credit cards in Thailand."

That's all rubbish.

OK, if you work here you are discriminated, if you don't you also are :D

Edit: To the gang here who so kindly advice whiners like myself "Go home then" I laugh my ass off discriminating this country.

An eye for an eye.

That's why I stay here, for my pleasure :o

Yeah that is priceless (no pun intended), like Central in Chiang Mai advertising 50% off on goods. What a crock of sh*t ha ha ha. I told my wife that they are signs only and nothing else. Samsonite suitcase for nearly 5,000 baht (50% off) :D:D:D I priced the same one in the Middle East for roughly 2,700. Funny buggers this lot :D

Edited by Garry

It is possible to obtain a credit card without a work permit. I obtain a gold card from Kasikornbank after three month of stay in Thailand, against a deposit of 100'000.00 THB in Fixed Account, Credit Line Card 100'000.00 THB. My income as retirement pension THB 65'000.00 THB.

Untied Oversee Bank offered Goldcard Creditline 80'000.00 THB against deposit as guarantee of 100'000.00 THB in fixed account.

Today Kasikornbank upgrade me to Platinium Card because I encrease garantee to 300'000.00 THB, they also adjust the creditline up these amount.

Both bank required a credit bureau confirmation in Thailand.

It is possible to obtain a credit card without a work permit. I obtain a gold card from Kasikornbank after three month of stay in Thailand, against a deposit of 100'000.00 THB in Fixed Account, Credit Line Card 100'000.00 THB. My income as retirement pension THB 65'000.00 THB.

Untied Oversee Bank offered Goldcard Creditline 80'000.00 THB against deposit as guarantee of 100'000.00 THB in fixed account.

Today Kasikornbank upgrade me to Platinium Card because I encrease garantee to 300'000.00 THB, they also adjust the creditline up these amount.

Both bank required a credit bureau confirmation in Thailand.

Thanks alot for the details rdbrem!!! Exactly the information I was looking for! :o

Yes, HSBC have acted as my main bankers in the UK for years and also in Hong Kong and have opened accounts all lover the place. I also have their Premier status so I suppose I could get a card with them but I use Kasikorn for credit card purchases (web based card) and Visa / Mastercard debit cards for everythign else. If I need cc protection I just use a foreign card. No great issues and no need to fanny around with all the red tape for a credit card here based on income.

Tartempion....

I'm not sure how you can say that it's all "rubbish." I have a foreign credit card (a visa and AMEX). Both charge between 2-3% currency transaction fee whenever I purchase something in a currency other than my home country's. The fee is hidden inside the actual currency conversion.

With a Thai credit card, I'd save 2-3% on every purchase here in Thailand.

What's rubbish about this?

You don't say which country you're from, but if you're British, get a Nationwide Credit Card next time you're back in the UK. (NO FX spread on foreign usage of the card, and unlike Thai cards, you're covered by proper laws that say that so long as you notify them when you notice the card is lost/stolen, i.e. you're not negligent, then you're not liable for any losses).

And yes - Nationwide do actually lose money on the No FX spead on use outside Europe, but it's how they market their cards...

Only issues I've found - True don't accept non-Thai cards when paying the bill at the shop (although you can set up a non-Thai card for a regular payment - i.e. True Visions - over the phone).

The only other problem is the ridiculously low UK daily ATM withdrawal limit of £300 - (about 19K baht at the moment) - for which there is obviously a cash advance charge, but still no FX spread.

Edited by bkk_mike

I have 7 credit cards issued in thailand,only 1 hrough a bank.nothing to deposit as guarantee for any of them, best part of a million creditline on 4 which are platinum.

Great customer service and had goods payments cancelled without much fuzz.

Work permit and bank statements were required and lots of benefits to be had in low season if used with sense.. Lots of vehicles in finance in my own name too.

Anything can be done if you meet the criteria

• 8 months later...

I hope someone can help me with any current information.

I have applied and been rejected for several credit cards. Here are my particulars:

Work permit for two years now.

No accounts left in my own country, and no business dealings that take me back there.

Income of 38,000

Savings in an Aberdeen account of 160,000

Savings in SCB of 190,000

Contract with my university, one-year renewable (i.e., it will never be more than a year at a time, but will always get renewed).

All I want is something that will enable me to buy online. A card from my own country won't work, because I never go back there anymore (plus, I have had to fight unauthorized charges galore before I finally closed them all).

A pre-paid card would be fine, but my SCB debit card is not embossed, and therefore not valid for online transactions.

I applied already to SCB, TMB, Kasikorn and Tesco Lotus.

Any suggestions?

I have applied and been rejected for several credit cards. Here are my particulars:

No accounts left in my own country, and no business dealings that take me back there.

Income of 38,000

Contract with my university, one-year renewable (i.e., it will never be more than a year at a time, but will always get renewed).

All I want is something that will enable me to buy online. A card from my own country won't work, because I never go back there anymore (plus, I have had to fight unauthorized charges galore before I finally closed them all).

A pre-paid card would be fine, but my SCB debit card is not embossed, and therefore not valid for online transactions.

Any suggestions?

Open a deposit savings account with Kasikorn bank. At the time of opening the account request an e-web card which will be linked to this account. The e-web card is a 'virtual' visa card which will allow you to shop online.

Hope this helps! :o

I don't have a work permit, just a marriage visa, and have a credit card now with a 200,000 Baht limit. I was asked to expand it to 400,000 Baht just last month again but I don't need it. Zero deposit needed, too and I get a credit report every month in the mail.

I don't have a work permit, just a marriage visa, and have a credit card now with a 200,000 Baht limit. I was asked to expand it to 400,000 Baht just last month again but I don't need it. Zero deposit needed, too and I get a credit report every month in the mail.

I'm very curious to learn how it was possible for you to get a Thai credit card. I'm married to a Thai national, have had a work permit for eight years, reasonably high salary, perfect international credit record, and have had Thai credit card applications turned down at four banks so far.

Which band and which card?

Open a deposit savings account with Kasikorn bank. At the time of opening the account request an e-web card which will be linked to this account. The e-web card is a 'virtual' visa card which will allow you to shop online.

Hope this helps! :o

I spoke with a Kasikorn branch manager, who said that the debit card they offer is not embossed, therefore very useful locally but not usable online. That is exactly what SCB gives me -- an ATM card only useful locally. I was even unable to hold a hotel reservation with that SCB card, by the way.

As for Prepaid, Western Union does not appear to offer this service in Thailand. I'll keep probing, but prepaid is not one of the services of the Thai division.

Central Ladprao. One of my friends, also without a work permit, applied for a credit card last year and also received it. Though he applied at another Central branch. It probably doesn't matter where you apply, since all the applications go to the same main office somewhere for approval.

I don't know if it is that new but my Bank (Bank of Ayudhya) offered me a Credit Card 2,5 years ago together with my account. I did show them the work permit but no further questions were asked. Maybe I was an exception...

May I ask what kind of an account do you have with Bank of Ayudhya, I have a saving account dating back six years, they have never offer me a credit Card, hmmmmm!! maybe I need a Million baht in the account??? Please ADVISE!! PM if you wish. :o

I am retired so don't have a work permit, I was invited to apply for a Thai Airways branded Amex Credit Card. Didn't really need or even want one but sent the form back out of devilment, my credit card was courierd to me a couple of weeks later, and I am now using it to rack up my Thai miles.

UOB work permit one year. Same requirements as Thai National. 15,000 baht monthly income for basic card.

By the way Bangkok Bank told me three years work experience, not one as stated in the first post. Maybe things have changed or I was given bad info.

Edited by jackbox

Central Ladprao. One of my friends, also without a work permit, applied for a credit card last year and also received it. Though he applied at another Central branch. It probably doesn't matter where you apply, since all the applications go to the same main office somewhere for approval.

Thanks, rainman. You're probably right, any branch should work out the same. I will give it a try.

many people dont underestand dirffrent beeetween debit and creditcrad.

its a waste of time to apply in thailand,even you have millions on the bank or chanotes from condo

a very easyst way to get regular or gold or platinumvisacard is in singapore, there is noresidence in singapore requierd.

only a few steps to your card at any branch of uob,dbs,ocbc or others

1. open saving AC with inital 1000 singdollar

2. open a time deposit for 23,6,12 month with automatic re-new at the end of maturity

3. banks depend where requiere for visa gold a minimum deposit beetween 20 and 50 tousend singdollar

4. apply for crad with colateral of the timedeposit

5. choose your limit ,maximum 50% of timedeposit

6. give them any singaporeadress, even a hotel, where they can send you the card,after 3 days you receive the card

7. pay your monthlybill via your saving AC or wiretransfer, bill would be send to thailand,as well lost pins or other related services

application is easy and smooth,and takes less than an hour with 100% sucess garantee, fees for the gold card in my case is 160 sing dollar per year , first year free

I am retired so don't have a work permit, I was invited to apply for a Thai Airways branded Amex Credit Card. Didn't really need or even want one but sent the form back out of devilment, my credit card was courierd to me a couple of weeks later, and I am now using it to rack up my Thai miles.

I have the Amex/TG Platinum card too, just showed my passport and letter from employer confirming my income (as most of my salary is paid into offshore accounts). The TG miles are nice but I particularly the decent discount we get at a couple of our favourite restaurants.

Income of 38,000

Any suggestions?

YES

1) In Thailand, Bangkok Bank Visa debit card (Be1st) with three-digit identifier

2) In Channel Islands, Cooperative Bank Guernsey Visa debit card -- had one for donkey's years, can be used for all transactions including online.

Edited by spr&q

Many people are misinformed here about the address issue. You can get a card from a host of banks in a host of countries if you meet their conditions, using your address here in Thailand. You will probably have to verify the address somehow -- the rules have become much tighter on that in recent years, certainly with UK banks.

Repeat: if you have a verifiable address here, and are eligible according to the bank's conditions, you can get a card from hundreds of banks around the world - a debit card usually being easier than a credit card.

Edited by spr&q