Laptop/pc Purchase

flip

Can anyone recommend a shop for Laptops/PC´s ?

Planning to buy an Acer or Lenovo laptop or "PC system" and looking for a shop which is offering good/reasonable rates (and good/ok service)

Online ordering would be also an option!

thnks a lot

Edited by flip

I recommend Digital Effects in the basement of Big C. They have a good range of Acers at discount prices. They also install the OS (copy) and software (office etc) free of charge + carry bag + mouse. Some places (like Courts) don't install OS (so how can you test it before you take away !!!).

Digital Effects posted price includes tax & software (copy), be careful when comparing prices as other places might not include the 7% tax and software installation.

Over the years I have bought a number of laptops here, and never had a problem with after sales service.

Edited by LivinginKata

I would not buy Acer. There's an IBM/Lenovo shop near the Immigration office.

I respect your opinion. I can only reflect that I have been using Acers for the past 7 years, right now I have a notebook, a home desk top, and 2 friends bought Acers on my recommendation. Never had a hardware problem. As for IBM & HP, over priced, just buying a 'name'. Just my opinion....

Can anyone recommend a shop for Laptops/PC´s ?

Planning to buy an Acer or Lenovo laptop or "PC system" and looking for a shop which is offering good/reasonable rates (and good/ok service)

Online ordering would be also an option!

thnks a lot

.............. and don't forget to insure it :o

http://insurance.thaivisa.com/our-products...-insurance.html

What a blatant plug. This should be deleted. Anyway, I find that home/product insurance is almost worthless in Thailand. Insurance companies always make it too hard to process a claim. I don't bother with home insurance any more.

I respect your opinion. I can only reflect that I have been using Acers for the past 7 years, right now I have a notebook, a home desk top, and 2 friends bought Acers on my recommendation. Never had a hardware problem. As for IBM & HP, over priced, just buying a 'name'. Just my opinion....

Lenova are not overpriced at all...! they offering Laptops for extremely good rates... and fully equipped (webcam, cardreader etc.)

Not even more expensive than Acer ( I know this only from Germany, dont know about the prices here.. but guess its quite the same! and the Lenovos having very good reviews etc.!)

Lenovo = IBM.

I recommend Digital Effects in the basement of Big C.

This is the 2nd shop under the Bus Computer unbrella - agree with LiK - good service, try and speak to Khun Rut in there - best PC guy I've found in Phuket (even better than the farangs) and will load up any software you want - just give him a tip for decent service.

As for Lenovo/Acer - would suggest considering having your PC build to your spec and save 30%+ on the brand name. If laptop then I've stuck with Sony.

What a blatant plug. This should be deleted. Anyway, I find that home/product insurance is almost worthless in Thailand. Insurance companies always make it too hard to process a claim. I don't bother with home insurance any more.

I think they can get away with it because they are an official sponsor.

What's the price out there now, 20,000?

If I'm earning THB, is it worth it for me to pick up a Dell Laptop when in the States in September?

If I'm earning THB, is it worth it for me to pick up a Dell Laptop when in the States in September?

Huggy,

Don't know what will be available in the US in September, but right now the major chains are selling some well equipped Toshiba and Compaq notebooks for $399USD on clearance. These typically have Pentium processors, 1GB of RAM, 80-120GB HD, DVD burner and 15" display. At about 13,500 THB - seems cheaper than comparable models in Thailand. Been thinking of picking one up for the wife, but then we'd have to put those Thai character stickies on the keys.

Regarding Lenovo - IBM is no longer in the PC hardware business. They sold the IBM (and ThinkPad) name for PCs to Lenovo in China several years ago. From what I've seen - Compaq (HP) seems to have the most consistently low prices.

Huggy,

Don't know what will be available in the US in September, but right now the major chains are selling some well equipped Toshiba and Compaq notebooks for $399USD on clearance. These typically have Pentium processors, 1GB of RAM, 80-120GB HD, DVD burner and 15" display. At about 13,500 THB - seems cheaper than comparable models in Thailand. Been thinking of picking one up for the wife, but then we'd have to put those Thai character stickies on the keys.

Regarding Lenovo - IBM is no longer in the PC hardware business. They sold the IBM (and ThinkPad) name for PCs to Lenovo in China several years ago. From what I've seen - Compaq (HP) seems to have the most consistently low prices.

Hi Dr. dave,

thanks for that. Not to be argumentative, but a friend in the states had a Compaq, nothing but a headache for the guy. Constant hardware problems. Maybe the one unit was a lemon though, who knows...........and just last week, a guy I know here in Phuket with a two year old Toshiba, the motherboard went bad on him, computer tech (American guy I know here) said the Toshibas have notorious motherboards.

But for 13,500, maybe it's worth a gamble. That's pretty darn cheap for a lappie.

My brother also has had a lemon compaq.. Nothing but stress.. Replaced lots of parts.. Argued about how international his warranty was when it was still only a few days old.. basically been a royal pain coupled with less than sterling customer service.

On the top floor of Jungceylon, next to the movie theater, is an Acer shop. There is another on that floor too but go to the one nearest the theaters. Every software imaginable is already loaded on their machines and they are up and running for you to check out. The staff speaks pretty good English. I have purchased 2 laptops there.

Hi Dr. dave,

thanks for that. Not to be argumentative, but a friend in the states had a Compaq, nothing but a headache for the guy. Constant hardware problems. Maybe the one unit was a lemon though, who knows...........and just last week, a guy I know here in Phuket with a two year old Toshiba, the motherboard went bad on him, computer tech (American guy I know here) said the Toshibas have notorious motherboards.

But for 13,500, maybe it's worth a gamble. That's pretty darn cheap for a lappie.

I've had notebooks from Toshiba, Compaq, IBM and Averatec (German company). Never had a problem with any of them, including the several different Toshiba models I had. (Was working for a big software company, and we tended to upgrade all notebooks every 18 months or so).

Currently I'm using both a Compaq and an Averatec. The Compaq is big (17" display) and difficult to lug around, but it was a good value at the time. It's been chugging nearly 24/7 for about 4 years with no problems. Support is not the best - I needed to run Win 2K on it, and needed special drivers for some of their proprietary onboard devices. The support person I spoke with was in Bangalore (no surprise there), and was obviously following a script (as most call centers do these days). I finally got what I needed, but it was painful. Other than that - no issues at all.

The Averatec has been running 24/7 for about 2-1/2 years with absolutely no issues. Ultra-portable with a 10" display, and dirt-cheap at the time.

I think you get get a lemon with just about any machine (although I would agree that some brands may have a higher incidence than others). The first Averatec I had self-destructed after about 2 hours - returned it to the store and they gave me a new one.

Huggy - I'll send you a PM with a link for the $399 Toshiba that Best Buy is selling this week in the US.

i just bought an hp pavillion dv6875se special edition notebook pc with all the bells and whistles for 1200usd with a three year replacement package...

:D i love it so far....even the legit windows vista is working well for me....ive had hp stuff in the past always worked well for me..... :o

i just bought an hp pavillion dv6875se special edition notebook pc with all the bells and whistles for 1200usd with a three year replacement package...

:D i love it so far....even the legit windows vista is working well for me....ive had hp stuff in the past always worked well for me..... :o

where did you buy this? My hp laptop is getting on a bit now and I wouldn't mind buying a new one :D