Best Pop Email Program, Now That Eudora Is Almost Gone

CosmicSurfer

Sorry I was unclear, I didn't read all the names well enough. My fault entirely. The Incredimail comments were to Ken. You, the OP, seem to know better, and I do most heartily recommend The Bat! to you. But not to Ken. He wants smilies and stationery.

So you chose to "flame" me. :o Up to you Cathy. My original post about Incredimail, I asked for comments....and I got them. While not convinced to stop using it (I don't care that much for the stationary, but my Mother and Sister's do), I am happy to learn about The Bat. I can certainly see the business advantages and now understanding a bit more what the OP was looking for, it is quite obvious it wouldn't be Incredimail. And sure I like smilies. :D

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Due to unfortunate circumstances my Mac has given up the ghost and so I am now back to using Windows while it's getting fixed.

On Windows, I use Thunderbird for MS Exchange server access - it's decent. Main feature is that it's really fast, much faster than either Outlook / Express or Mail.app. It can access the exchange account _really fast_. So that's good. Other than that it's unremarkable.

The killer mail app though is Gmail. Its a web app but I have to say it's total genius. Search is great, labels are better than folders, the whole search don't sort paradigm works much better than the old "set up rules and sort stuff into folders". It's faster, more efficient, less error prone. As has also been said the spam filter is the best there is. And there are many nice touches.

For example, I did a "reply" to a message, typed the whole response, then found that I actually wanted to "reply all". This happens to me quite a bit during a normal day actually. How does your Mail client of choice handle that situation?

In Mail.app, I would select my response text, discard the new mail window, click on the original mail, do a reply all, paste text, send. This only takes me a few seconds thanks to keyboard shortcuts.

Here is how it works in Gmail though: Your message is tabbed. There are "reply", "reply all", and "forward" tabs. You click on the reply all tab. Done. Your message has now transformed from a reply-to to a reply-all and all the cc fields are filled in correctly. And that is genius.

Gmail is arguably the best mail application out there.

I am going to try the new thunderbird-based Eudora but frankly Eudora never was as good as Gmail is. Gmail is just a new paradigm for email and one that is simply better.

Edited by nikster

Very happy since migrating to GMAIL and been using MS Office 2000 Outlook for years without problems. Tried 2003 and 2007 and dumped them both. MS and Gates don't know when to leave a good thing alone!

Outlook 2007 is just great! Just upgraded from 2003 and love it. The only downside I could find is that the mail accounts are somehwere hidden in a cryptic file that I was not able to find so I had to set them up again manually instead of migrating it to the new computer.

Tried Thunderbird, too basic. Tried The Bat...FAR too complicated!! Took me ages to find the things that I wanted to tweak and you HAVE to tweak. If you of course are into tweaking and have the time and patience to spend hours and hours clicking here and thereThe Bat is the right thing for you. If you run a business and not a computer research center, it is not.

ALL the wonderful things that The Bat allegedly can do better, my Outlook can do as well...just easier. Oh....and I am NOT a M$ fan whatsoever, but the whole new office 2007 is a gem!

...been using MS Office 2000 Outlook for years without problems. Tried 2003 and 2007 and dumped them both. MS and Gates don't know when to leave a good thing alone!

Absolutly! I managed to get from Office 2000 to Office 2003, but hate Office 2007. I guess if I was still working I'd have to force myself to find out how to use it.

I don't know why MS can't bring out new versions so that they look like the old versions - and give you the ability to switch on all the new features one by one. (My XP desktop looks like Windows 98 :o ).

With Office 2007, the first thing you notice is the massive number of new toolbars and menus, with every possible icon and button visible - the whole screen cluttered up with this stuff so you have to spend a ridiculous amount of time getting rid of them or re-configuring them.

...been using MS Office 2000 Outlook for years without problems. Tried 2003 and 2007 and dumped them both. MS and Gates don't know when to leave a good thing alone!

Absolutly! I managed to get from Office 2000 to Office 2003, but hate Office 2007. I guess if I was still working I'd have to force myself to find out how to use it.

I don't know why MS can't bring out new versions so that they look like the old versions - and give you the ability to switch on all the new features one by one. (My XP desktop looks like Windows 98 :o ).

With Office 2007, the first thing you notice is the massive number of new toolbars and menus, with every possible icon and button visible - the whole screen cluttered up with this stuff so you have to spend a ridiculous amount of time getting rid of them or re-configuring them.

different strokes for different folks I guess...I love the new look of office 2007. All functions that I regularly need are there with one click, no longer opening of menus.

So you chose to "flame" me. :o Up to you Cathy. My original post about Incredimail, I asked for comments....and I got them.

It wasn't really intended as a flame, Ken, and sorry you took it as one. It was intended as an utter condemnation of Incredimail, with just a bit of disrespect for the users of it. Ken, how can you continue to let it live on your computer, when you now know it carries malware? And even if they have stopped including malware in it, will you allow a program distributed by a company known for malware to have both access to your hard drive, all your files, and an unblocked internet connection? I wouldn't.

http://www.coastal.edu/cyberchant/0404/safepc.html

malware in disguise

This doesn't even begin to address the annoyance of receiving emails that are really html files. They are bloated files that take too long to download, include unnecessary eyestrainers like animated graphics and patterned backgrounds, and contain nothing of value other than the message content itself, which I won't read if it's an html file.

So you chose to "flame" me. :o Up to you Cathy. My original post about Incredimail, I asked for comments....and I got them.

It wasn't really intended as a flame, Ken, and sorry you took it as one. It was intended as an utter condemnation of Incredimail, with just a bit of disrespect for the users of it. Ken, how can you continue to let it live on your computer, when you now know it carries malware? And even if they have stopped including malware in it, will you allow a program distributed by a company known for malware to have both access to your hard drive, all your files, and an unblocked internet connection? I wouldn't.

http://www.coastal.edu/cyberchant/0404/safepc.html

malware in disguise

This doesn't even begin to address the annoyance of receiving emails that are really html files. They are bloated files that take too long to download, include unnecessary eyestrainers like animated graphics and patterned backgrounds, and contain nothing of value other than the message content itself, which I won't read if it's an html file.

Hear, hear!

I've been giving Thunderbird a try for the last week. Compared to Eudora, it's terrible. The signature function, for example, requires several keystrokes to attach a file with one's signature to each email - it should be automatic. The nesting of emails is also very annoying, at least to me. I'll stick with Eudora. Anyone tried the open-source beta version yet? I'm also wondering if I can import from Thunderbird as I'll be installing Eudora on a machine that only has Thunderbird on it.

Sigs are automatic, simply select the file required at account level and it is appended automatically.

Regards.

PS You may wish to look at the Penelope extension to TB which provides Eudora like functions

/edit mad typist strikes again//

Edited by A_Traveller