My Son Is On A Cp Billboard On Yommarat

KohKarrang

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A friend of ours just called us to say he saw our son on a billboard in Yommarat, he stopped his car because he was so excited and he was sure it was our son but we never done a photo shoot with CP so what can we do about this?

You could find out for yourself first if it is indeed your son before parading around Thaivisa on high heels and feathers in your tiara.

(Typically getting anything on a billboard means a very high resolution image; those don't happen without photo shoots.)

And all kids look alike. :o

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I'm not waving my feathers around :o I'm just asking what should I do next, has anybody come across this kind of thing before?

Nothing helpful to say, say nothing at all.

And yes you are right, hi-res images don't come without photo shoots, I'm aware of that, that's why I'm mentioning it...

I think the OP wants either the billboard poster removed or Baht yes, I think it's a cheek stealing pics like that, that was my reason for posting, I wanted to know of it had happened to any tv members before and what did they do about, thought that was clear...

Well, go check it out then already. :o Bangkok has taxis right.. Jump in and bring a camera; some pictures would help this topic along.

A picture would do nothing whatsoever to help this topic along, if it's pictures you need go and buy a Mr Man comic book.

I'm confused, is the OP saying for a fact that an image of his son is being used on a billboard, or is he saying that he has been told this and doesn't know if it is a fact? If the second, then the advice to get in a taxi and find out is relevant.

Secondly, in many places one doesn't own the copyright of your face in a public place, so if an image is being used which was taken in public, even without your {presuming your son is below age} knowledge it may still be used in this manner. In France I believe people do 'own' such a right. I don't think this is the case here. However, if you had studio shots done, maybe for a portfolio, and these are being used you probably have a 'case' against the photographer, assuming you contracted for the shots for no distribution.

Regards

PS No gender assumption, poster could be he or she.

Edited by A_Traveller

The point to this thread is to find out if anybody else has had this happen to them, photos being taken of their children without them knowing, I'm sure most of you reading this thread understand my reason for posting this - this is a forum for people to talk about things happening in Thailand right?

Well, go check it out then already. :o Bangkok has taxis right.. Jump in and bring a camera; some pictures would help this topic along.

A picture would do nothing whatsoever to help this topic along, if it's pictures you need go and buy a Mr Man comic book.

Actually it might :D

I'm no expert on the position in Thailand, but back in the UK the rules are very specific as to whether a model-release is required for the use of your image. For example, a 'face in the crowd' likely would not. In this case as the person is clearly recognisable then someone should have signed permission.

As previously noted, "Task A", is to go and verify that is really is your son.

Assuming it is take a good photo of the billboard making sure the date/time in your camera is correct, ensure there are recognisable landmarks in the frame too. Then go and see your lawyer.

I'm confused, is the OP saying for a fact that an image of his son is being used on a billboard, or is he saying that he has been told this and doesn't know if it is a fact? If the second, then the advice to get in a taxi and find out is relevant.

Secondly, in many places one doesn't own the copyright of your face in a public place, so if an image is being used which was taken in public, even without your {presuming your son is below age} knowledge it may still be used in this manner. In France I believe people do 'own' such a right. I don't think this is the case here. However, if you had studio shots done, maybe for a portfolio, and these are being used you probably have a 'case' against the photographer, assuming you contracted for the shots for no distribution.

Regards

PS No gender assumption, poster could be he or she.

I don't remember saying it was a fact? :o

I'm waiting for my partner to speak with somebody later so I can find out where it was then I'll go and look.

We've been for a few castings but not for CP so I'm wondering if he was in a department store with his nanny sometime and there may have been a CP promotion or something...

It's apparently a photo of my son, standing against a studio background holding up a CP egg??

So what part of BKK is Yommarat anyway?

Actually it might :D

I'm no expert on the position in Thailand, but back in the UK the rules are very specific as to whether a model-release is required for the use of your image. For example, a 'face in the crowd' likely would not. In this case as the person is clearly recognisable then someone should have signed permission.

As previously noted, "Task A", is to go and verify that is really is your son.

Assuming it is take a good photo of the billboard making sure the date/time in your camera is correct, ensure there are recognisable landmarks in the frame too. Then go and see your lawyer.

that's the kind of response I was hoping for in the beginning, thank you very much Crossy, but saying it is my son, would I have a case in this country? Would we just get laughed at by CP or the agency that supplied the photo?

The point to this thread is to find out if anybody else has had this happen to them, photos being taken of their children without them knowing, I'm sure most of you reading this thread understand my reason for posting this - this is a forum for people to talk about things happening in Thailand right?

Yes, but what you've posed here is a hypothetical situation. You haven't even gone to the trouble to see if in fact it's even happened. Why don't you do that first and get back to us.

You don't know yet if it is your son.

Stop getting so excited and go and find out if it is or not.

You don't know yet if it is your son.

Stop getting so excited and go and find out if it is or not.

I will I will, give me a chance, I was only interested if anybody had experienced this before.

Only found this out myself an hour ago and I'm not going to drop everything and run off, that would be me getting excited about it...

Edited by KohKarrang

The rub

We've been for a few castings
, which means that you will have signed release forms, in Thai, which may well have granted to the agency or photographer rights over the images. I have heard of that happening and in that situation you will have no case, unless it can be shown that the authorisation was inappropriate {e.g. Nanny} but the rebuttal argument would be she was 'in charge' and you didn't revoke the permission at the time.

Regards

PS Being positive at least take the time to add this 'exposure' to your son's portfolio, it should help you market him going forward.

Edited by A_Traveller

i dont see anything wrong in discussing hypotheticals.

in usa if he was so fortunate he d be in for a big payday.

Well we can think of a quite a few 'Hypotheticals' from the US can't we.

....... but saying it is my son, would I have a case in this country? Would we just get laughed at by CP or the agency that supplied the photo?

That's why I suggested seeing a lawyer, I have zero idea what the rules are in Thailand, and you can guarantee that they'll be open to 'interpretation'.

Back home any posed picture (as this seems to be) that will be used for promotional material would require a model release, signed either by the model or by a responsible adult (the nanny would likely count). Simply stating verbally that it 'may' be used is not sufficient.

A news type photo, even if your face is clearly visible, generally does not require a release. Indeed many venues have signs stating that you may be photographed just to ensure this type of issue cannot occur.

Edited by Crossy

The rub
, which means that you will have signed release forms, in Thai, which may well have granted to the agency or photographer rights over the images. I have heard of that happening and in that situation you will have no case, unless it can be shown that the authorisation was inappropriate {e.g. Nanny} but the rebuttal argument would be she was 'in charge' and you didn't revoke the permission at the time.

Regards

Possible, if that's what's happened then that's dead cheeky(I said IF)

so agencies can lure people into their studios, take pics, but never offer a jo because they've got their pics already?

To be clear I'm not accusing anyone of impropriety here, it may be a genuine mistake, {wrong folder of shots shown to CP} it may be that the release gave the studio rights {questionable but difficult to over turn, you need to review the papers for such activities}. Once you have seen the image, which might not be your son, you can reconcile to the casting sessions that you have been to, e.g what he was wearing etc..

Regards

PS Having looked at the referenced thread, if you sent in a image without ensuring your legal position at the outset, then I'm not sure you would have any redress, sorry.

Edited by A_Traveller

The rub

Regards

so agencies can lure people into their studios, take pics, but never offer a jo because they've got their pics already?

The plot thickens.....

At sometime in the past the OP has thought that there are bucks to be made selling photos of his child, now it might just be there is a photo out there that he's not getting paid for.

Did any agency 'lure' you or where you eager to sign on the line?

To be clear I'm not accusing anyone of impropriety here, it may be a genuine mistake, {wrong folder of shots shown to CP} it may be that the release gave the studio rights {questionable but difficult to over turn, you need to review the papers for such activities}. Once you have seen the image, which might not be your son, you can reconcile to the casting sessions that you have been to, e.g what he was wearing etc..

Regards

Will do, I'm just trying to find out where Yommarat is and then where this billboard is, it may not be my son, if it's not then fine, I don't particularly want it to be him...

Anyway, surely this billboard is not unique, surely they wouldn't bother printing one of them up, there must be more! keep your eyes out for a pasty little boy who looks rather like a girl, hair down to his chin :D

My son is quite easy to spot, his looks are unique and our friend said he wasn't mistaken, actually this friend is a lawyer so if it is my son I'll know who to talk to :o

The rub

Regards

The plot thickens.....

At sometime in the past the OP has thought that there are bucks to be made selling photos of his child, now it might just be there is a photo out there that he's not getting paid for.

Did any agency 'lure' you or where you eager to sign on the line?

You're repeating yourself GH :o

We dipped out toes into it a bit before, not me but our son and his mum had a few castings together but it ended up a waste of time and not much fun, lots of waiting around and the last time we went to a casting they tried to put makeup on my sons face and he didn't want that at all so I decided he'd made his own mind up and didn't have fun at these kind of places, mum didn't either, lots of lies and waiting.

And to asnwer your last question GH, we were approached several times about our son but most times just brushed it off but we spoke to some friends who'd really pushed their children into it and they said they had a lot of fun so we thought it might be a nice way to waste some spare time when we had it, when it suited us.

Edited by KohKarrang