What Happens After Death?

pnustedt

My wife's good friend in HK has been dating an American (early 40s) for a few years and is expecting his baby in a couple of months. He is married in US, but said he is filing for divorce. His family have not been told about his g/f or expected baby. They have been building a house near Ubon, where she has 2 kids by a previous marriage and they planned to eventually retire there.

He died last night (probable heart attack) and his company are arranging to have his body flown home immediately it is released.

Anyone got any advice that may help the g/f and baby?

Unless he made a will naming them, they have no rights.

Whose name is on the deed for the house? I hope it us hers!

In practice they can take any thing in their common home, and I doubt there will be any bother.

Just shows how important it is to make a will, and update it when

circumstances change.

He died last night (probable heart attack) and his company are arranging to have his body flown home immediately it is released.

Anyone got any advice that may help the g/f and baby?

Poor woman. Unless he has made some provisions (insurance etc) for her she will probably need a lawyer to get something for the baby.

I would suggest she gets hospital to do a DNA or save some tissue (hair, whatever) while his body is still above the ground.

Unless he made a will naming them, they have no rights.

Whose name is on the deed for the house? I hope it us hers!

In practice they can take any thing in their common home, and I doubt there will be any bother.

Just shows how important it is to make a will, and update it when

circumstances change.

Brrr...the story sent some chills down my back.

Depending how well off the guy was, a good lawyer may be able to do something.

Hope that the woman is not clueless.

In my case, as soon as gf's pregnancy was confirmed I got HR in my company to include her in all my documents, insurance, health insurance, pension, everything.

Then the baby too.

If I died last night she would have gotten 500K US$ today and my pension for lifetime which would be about 1500US$ per month.

If the company went bust, there is another Insurance Co that would take over and carry on.

If I died last night she would have gotten 500K US$ today and my pension for lifetime which would be about 1500US$ per month.

If the company went bust, there is another Insurance Co that would take over and carry on.

:o Does she know that??? Do you live in Pattaya???

I would be very careful who I told about that. That is a ###### of a lot of money!!

Am I correct in thinking that if an old farang geezer, probably with a few years to live, got married to a 20 year old Thai woman then his govt. would pay his pension for another 50-80 years to someone who had only been married to the guy for a couple of years, say? Is this right?

I would be very careful who I told about that. That is a ###### of a lot of money!!

Am I correct in thinking that if an old  farang geezer, probably with a few years to live, got married to a 20 year old Thai woman then his govt. would pay his pension for another 50-80 years to someone who had only been married to the guy for a couple of years, say? Is this right?

Copies of the policies are with her too, have been sitting there for more than a year.

So, not only she knows about them, she also knows any setup would void them too.

The insurance is tailored to clear a morgage one would almost certainly have had, any insurance policy can do that and many of us have some kind of insurance, one way or another and there are no mass killings around to fetch the money.

That she has been with me only certain period of time has no bearing - same as a western woman married to someone who suddenly dies and has children to look after and a proper insurance policy was in place.

If an Aussie is with, say, AMP superannuation fund, they charge 120A$ a month for similar conditions. Usually companies pay for that. So, most of Aussies are also insured in similar way, how many got trapped because of that?

(I have that one too but it's already too complicated and enough security around her to add it in).

Forgot to say, the health and dental insurance for both herself and the baby would also continue with 40% participation for only some dental services and NO any, 0, participation for anything else. Direct billing with Bumrungrad.

For the woman and the baby from the original post, I wish the unfortunate fellow who died had had only 5% of my worries.

Things seem to be moving in right direction now.

I made an appointment for the girl with a lawyer - then the guys' company decided to notify the deceased guy's family of the girl and forthcoming baby.

I have been asked to let this take its course before taking any further action.

I think I'll take the appointment and make a will myself!

Tks all who contributed advice.

It's a difficult question, I have been told that I as a Farang can own a house in Thailand, but the land it's build on would have to be in my wifes - gfs name, with some 30 years lease agreement signed that she couldn't kick my house off her land for that period, am I wrong ??

It's a difficult question, I have been told that I as a Farang can own a house in Thailand, but the land it's build on would have to be in my wifes - gfs name, with some 30 years lease agreement signed that she couldn't kick my house off her land for that period, am I wrong ??

Yes, it's doable. I've seen a sample contract written in English.

Basically, you rent the land and can bring and take away your posessions to/from it.

The construction called "a house" is also your posession. And the rent can't be 1 baht per month, has to be something reasonable.

But hey, a habitable houses upcountry can be built from 100K baht, comfortable ones with Western bathroom 500K (12K US$), after that comes luxury and multi levels.

If the rent of the land is only 1000B per month you end up with 360K baht over 30 years. A solid house can be built for that money anyway.

For some, it does not pay pissing off the family with the renting contract.