Shop Girls In Samui

Hi All,

This is my first post, so please bear with me on the learning curve. Briefly, I've been to Samui three times in the last few years. On my first visit, I met a young lady working in a clothing shop. We hit it off and enjoyed each others company for a week. Nothing more. We emailed a few times on my return, but since her English was limited, I let it fade away. I returned eighteen months later and while shopping ran into her again. She was a little more grown up, maybe battle hardened from the constant barrage of haggling over t-shirt prices all day, but still very charming. We spent the next two weeks together and had fun. This time I vowed to keep in touch. About two months later, she called and asked me for money. She said that she had lost her job. Now I am very aware of the bargirl game and the sponsorship thing, but I did not intend to go down that route with this woman. I never promised her anything more than what we had together in Samui. By the way I did give her a few thousand baht when I left. Anyway, I did like her, and hoping she was sincere, I sent her a little money. 5000k. It turns out to be true, and she was very thankful. I returned to Samui this last March and stayed with her for a few weeks. We had fun, but I could see her start to exhibit some bargirl characteristics that I hadn't seen before. We all know some of the signs. I didn't mind, I was still having fun. Besides, I know how hard these girls work to try and support themselves and their families. Which really brings me to my question. From a Samui expats point of view, is there really any difference between the shop girls, hotel workers etc, and the bar girls? Are most of the shop girls in on the game? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have known a call in Lamai for 4 years now....worked in various shops, overseas call, internet shops etc...never done anything with her...but she is a real one when it comes to money....buffalo sick, car payments, rice crop no good.....any excuse to get a bit of cash outa people. Personally I found bargirls to be more honest, at least you know where you stand with them.....go to Fushion, Bahous, Green Mango...anywhere, it is full of "shop girls"...see what they do at the end of the night & you may have an insight into what they are really like

Don't understand the comment jetset, but thanks for the reply. TommyJ4, I appreciate the info. Kind of what I am thinking about this girl now. While she vows she is not a bar girl, I know for a fact she hangs out at the mango. I guess it's not if, but how many farang she's got on the line. Didn't answer her cell again tonight. Must have had another successful night at the disco.

Well to answer your question - many freelance who don't specifically work in a bar. (hotel workers, restaurant workers, hairdressers, massage lady, shop workers, students) Mind u this isnt everyone, but its more than you might imagine.

Being here so long you get to see what the real girls are like......freelancers definatly the worst....didnt like using that word as someone previously quoted what the dictonary said about freelancers....no security with them either...can rob you & be off.....pay a bar fine, at least you get a bit of security. Always the same...about 10-12 days & then it is "you can help me"....blah blah blah.......do girls get taught this in school......the worst bit is her father is at home getting drunk & too lazy to work....really just makes the parents pimps........do a google search of your girlfriends email address....be amazed what that can bring up..........internetting is very popular now with the girls.

A lot of sh*t statements.

luxecat,

The shopgirl took care of you while you have stayed in Samui - why you should not pay her for this job?

Salary in Samui is some 5K THB per month You should thread her with respect and understand that salary in Thailand is very low.

luxecat,

The shopgirl took care of you while you have stayed in Samui - why you should not pay her for this job?

Salary in Samui is some 5K THB per month You should thread her with respect and understand that salary in Thailand is very low.

Of all the statements, yours actually seemed sh*ttiest.

You tell him he should treat her with respect but you also say he should pay her for spending time with him. If she is a prostitute then she can tell him so and ask her price, by why make the assumption that every girl on a low salary has no pride and is up for sale?

Rixalex,

In Thailand it is common to show respect by giving a little present/envelop/money. And they all have problems with money because the salary is very unfair.

What absurd nonsense. It's a surprise you can even spell the word "respect" to be honest.

luxecat,

Of all the statements, yours actually seemed sh*ttiest.

You tell him he should treat her with respect but you also say he should pay her for spending time with him. If she is a prostitute then she can tell him so and ask her price, by why make the assumption that every girl on a low salary has no pride and is up for sale?

haven't read all the posts but if u want to stay with her and she is not working then she will need money to savive. just common sense. not respect just common sense. they have no doll or social security out here. or maybe u could give her a job. doing stuff for you as to justify a salary. i am sure she will do your laundry cook food clean the house. if she doesn;t then she is lazy and should be given the shovel.

there again if she is has money and she is doing nothing then no need to guess where that is coming from. just common sense

Rixalex,

In Thailand it is common to show respect by giving a little present/envelop/money. And they all have problems with money because the salary is very unfair.

What absurd nonsense. It's a surprise you can even spell the word "respect" to be honest.

What you want?

Why should a shop girl date a farang on a regular basis? The common reason is: Need for money. Even we talk about the Chaweng scene we are not in Europe, a Thai would not date a farang who is coming here for holidays if there is no need for money.

I would assume the guy took her out to dinner, etc and probably even bought her gifts while here. Even if he didn't, I wouldn't think cash payments are required unless it's been pre-arranged - no matter how poor her salary might be.

Why should a shop girl date a farang on a regular basis? The common reason is: Need for money.

Excuse me, but that's not the common reason, that's the prostitute's reason, and you'd do well to not assume that all Thai women, whether they work in a shop or not, are such people. For a man who talks about respect, you seem to show very little.

Why should a shop girl date a farang on a regular basis? The common reason is: Need for money.

Excuse me, but that's not the common reason, that's the prostitute's reason, and you'd do well to not assume that all Thai women, whether they work in a shop or not, are such people. For a man who talks about respect, you seem to show very little.

Believe it or not: The common reason to date a farang is money.

"Common" in the sense like "widespread". And I dont assume whatever for all Thai women, my wife is a former "shop girl".

Rixalex,

What you want?

Why should a shop girl date a farang on a regular basis? The common reason is: Need for money. Even we talk about the Chaweng scene we are not in Europe, a Thai would not date a farang who is coming here for holidays if there is no need for money.

All very true Claude, but what does that equate to then ??

Are you insinuating that ALL, your words not mine, Thai's that date Farangs are doing it for money because that's what you said & that would then equate to ALL Thai's that date Farangs are ?????????

What i am getting here that no one ever seems to want to admit even though many know, is the answer to your question OP..:o

Edited by MSingh

"Common" in the sense like "widespread". And I dont assume whatever for all Thai women, my wife is a former "shop girl".

I'm sure this can't be true, but it sounds like you are saying that your wife was once a prostitute and she married you for money??!!

Please clarify, if not for me for the sake of your wife.

I'm sure this can't be true, but it sounds like you are saying that your wife was once a prostitute and she married you for money??!!

You make me tired.

For the sake of your brain: Read my posts slowly.

Why do people have to argue on here.I thought i could have some good conversations on this board but i may be wrong.

To answer the question of the poster,it is very obvious that the shop girl is doing no different than the bar girl other than getting the money at a later date.Is this wrong or right,should be up to the poster to read all of the posts and decide for himself.Why are many posters on here nasty,i cannot understand this.

Exactly..well said...hope it dosnt cloud your judgment too much....there are some very trustworthy loving girls out there that will treat you with respect...both shop workers & bar girls alike...

For a new poster you have good insights.

Personally I want to know if luxecat was having sex with this girl from the second vacation?

Non whores don't hop into bed - with anyone, Thai or falang. You are not her gik - so if sex happened you would be expected to show some appreciation.

You make me tired.

For the sake of your brain: Read my posts slowly.

I'm sorry if you are feeling tired. I'm just trying to understand your comments. I've read them again and no matter what speed, i still struggle to comprehend. Perhaps you could try writing slower?

For starters, you said my: my wife is a former "shop girl"

By using speech marks, you seem to be implying that she was in fact not a shop girl, but had some other profession? As i said, i'm sure you wouldn't actually say that your wife was a prostitute, so you must have meant something else by this, what though i'm not sure. Please don't get angry or offended, just explain a little more clearly.

The OP is looking for reassurance which we cannot give to him. He knows the girl and we do not, therefore, he is in the best position to judge.

If he is fond of the girl and wants to help her, why not? If she is not lying it will make her happy and he will be a good person in her mind. If she is lying, it means she is a bad person but he is still good. Assuming it is a relatively trivial sum of money he seems to be in a win/win situation.

If it is not a trivial sum of money then he has either to say no or trust his own judgment.

My only other observation is to say that in every relationship I have experienced with the fairer sex, money has always exchanged hands but it has never traveled in my direction.