Diving Phuket

bazmlb

Hi nearly all the dive operators dive there so finding one will be no problem. I dived from Phuket last year for the first time after several years diving the gulf. I found most of the close dive sies to be nothing spectacular or very interesting. The king cruiiser was just a few rusting bits of metal and not at all what Id been expecting. If wrecks are your thing then the gulf has several very nice Japenese and American wrecks though some are in deep water so you need to be technicaly trained. If you have the time try a liveaboard to the similans, some of the best diving in the world :o

There are several options. For Monday, for example, try Sea Fun Divers. For Tuesday try West Coast Divers.

Thanks, I got on to sea fun Divers thru their websites online chat and got it all sorted to dive next Monday, anyone else interested in diving that day too?

I am looking to dive the King Cruiser on Monday the 14th or Tuesday the 15th of July, does anyone know a dive operation who goes there on these days?

Just about all the dive companies here have that one on the docket. The thing you need to worry about is the weather/reducing viz.

I caught King Cruiser on a high season day, clear as a bell, and I disagree with the poster that said it was nothing. We had great views, went all the way around, very enjoyable. It will not be enjoyable if you can only see 2 meters.

Best of luck,

HB

The thing you need to worry about is the weather/reducing viz.
Agree with you, but the weather does not have influence on the visibility. Quite often in low season we have even better viz than in the high season.

Agree with you, but the weather does not have influence on the visibility. Quite often in low season we have even better viz than in the high season.

Stevenl ,

To suggest that weather doesn't affect viz is laughable.

The amount of viz is effected mainly by two things (1) penetration of light to the water column and (2) the amount of particulate in the water column.

(1) penetration of light in the water column , has basically 3 factors (if we are talking about 1 dive site)

i The amount of bubbles in the surface of the water means more light is reflected. Therefore the calmer the water , the better the weather the better the viz.

ii The angle of the light hitting the water. You get better viz for a lunch dive than a morning or afternoon dive.

iii The overall amount of ambient light. If its sunny you have better viz than if its not. Therefore the calmer the better the weather the better the viz.

(2) the amount of particulate in the water column , also has three main factors

i Turbulence in the water , wave action stirs up sediment which hangs particulate in the water column reducing viz. Waves are most commonly caused by wind. Therefore the calmer the better the weather the better the viz.

ii Plankton blooms can place lots of particulate in a band of the water column severely reducing the viz in that band , though often when below that band viz can dramatically increase.

iii Rain water run off carries with it much particulate. Therefore the calmer the better the weather the better the viz.

In short the weather is the thing that has the most effect on viability!

The viz in the monsoon season is on average much worse than in the holiday season.

If you are travelling a long way to enjoy the marvellous diving that can be had from Phuket , do it in the holiday season not in the off season, even if it means dive operators have to tighten their belts for this period.

If you are in BKK and fancy a weekends diving , then I would say go for it because the King Cruiser is a better dive than the Hardeep because of the better chance to see interesting flora and fauna and the viz will be similar and usually better at the King Cruiser.

Cheers

Stevenl ,

I was quite surprised to see stevenl's post too...........

stevenl-do you dive?

Stevenl ,

The amount of viz is effected mainly by two things (1) penetration of light to the water column and (2) the amount of particulate in the water column.

(1) penetration of light in the water column , has basically 3 factors (if we are talking about 1 dive site)

i The amount of bubbles in the surface of the water means more light is reflected. Therefore the calmer the water , the better the weather the better the viz.

ii The angle of the light hitting the water. You get better viz for a lunch dive than a morning or afternoon dive.

iii The overall amount of ambient light. If its sunny you have better viz than if its not. Therefore the calmer the better the weather the better the viz.

i Turbulence in the water , wave action stirs up sediment which hangs particulate in the water column reducing viz. Waves are most commonly caused by wind. Therefore the calmer the better the weather the better the viz.

ii Plankton blooms can place lots of particulate in a band of the water column severely reducing the viz in that band , though often when below that band viz can dramatically increase.

iii Rain water run off carries with it much particulate. Therefore the calmer the better the weather the better the viz.

The viz in the monsoon season is on average much worse than in the holiday season.

If you are travelling a long way to enjoy the marvellous diving that can be had from Phuket , do it in the holiday season not in the off season, even if it means dive operators have to tighten their belts for this period.

If you are in BKK and fancy a weekends diving , then I would say go for it because the King Cruiser is a better dive than the Hardeep because of the better chance to see interesting flora and fauna and the viz will be similar and usually better at the King Cruiser.

Cheers

I am going down there from Pattaya for the Thaivisa Party at Friendship beach, not really a planned holiday to go diving, but thought I would get a dive in while I am there, thanks all for your advice.

To me this sums up a lot of posters from Phuket who post on dive related boards like here and Scubaboard, where in Phuket seemingly the sun always shines and the diving is better than anywhere else in the world, especially the Gulf.

Really laughable Stevenl, you better get your facts straight!

I do like Phuket and never said a bad word about it but it's amazing to see how the Phuket posse rips into the Gulf at any possibility given.

Ok, let me try to explain what I meant.

@ Percy: your information is not complete, nor is it completely correct. Rainy season is in most minds related to rain, therefor less visibility. At the local divesites there is no rain run off into the site, so rain does in that respect not influence visibility. Of all the points you mention, the only thing applicable in the present season could be 1.3, with the present weather no factor at all. And with less divers, less stirred up sediment etc., on basis of your point 2.1 in low season visibility is quite often better than in high season.

Of course, if the sun is shining a divesite looks much nicer with more light, but that does not directly influence the horizontal visibility.

@ Limbos: why are you trying to drag some kind of Gulf/Andaman discussion into this?

@ Huggy: Despite my youthfull appearence I have made over 2,000 dives, at the moment not much anymore though, but still around 6 dives a month.

Edited by stevenl

@ Percy: your information is not complete, nor is it completely correct. Rainy season is in most minds related to rain, therefor less visibility. At the local divesites there is no rain run off into the site, so rain does in that respect not influence visibility. Of all the points you mention, the only thing applicable in the present season could be 1.3, with the present weather no factor at all. And with less divers, less stirred up sediment etc., on basis of your point 2.1 in low season visibility is quite often better than in high season.

Of course, if the sun is shining a divesite looks much nicer with more light, but that does not directly influence the horizontal visibility.

@ Limbos: why are you trying to drag some kind of Gulf/Andaman discussion into this?

@ Huggy: Over 2,000 dives, at the moment not much anymore though, but still around 6 dives a month.

"And with less divers, less stirred up sediment etc., on basis of your point 2.1 in low season visibility is quite often better than in high season."

So in your mind stevenl, divers create more stirred up sediments than weather conditions and currents? Plankton/algae blooms?It's a pretty big sea................

So in your mind stevenl, divers create more stirred up sediments than weather conditions and currents? Plankton/algae blooms?It's a pretty big sea................

Quite often: yes, divers create more sediment than weather conditions. There can be a storm outside, but under water at King Cruiserr, with the bottom at over 30 meters deep, you won't see any sand being blown away by the wind.

A major factor in the area are by the way fishing boats. During the last high season, there were lots of them just outside of the Shark Point area, and their nets scraping over the bottom do the visibility no good. At the moment they are not there, at least I have not seen them or heard from somebody else they are active in that area again.

I said nothing about plankton/algae. Plankton plays a major part in visibility here in high season, mainly at the Similans from February on, but also at other divesites. The amount of plankton in the water will then reduce visibility, again an argument for better visibility in low season.

Edited by stevenl

f you are in BKK and fancy a weekends diving , then I would say go for it because the King Cruiser is a better dive than the Hardeep because of the better chance to see interesting flora and fauna and the viz will be similar and usually better at the King Cruiser.
Just noticed I forgot one thing: especially the King Cruiser wreck is famous for its bad visibility. Last time I was there it was around 2 meters, which is exceptionally bad, but even the Hard Deep had better viz on the (I admit, just one) dive I made there. Normally on King Cruiser, count on about 5-10 meters, sometimes as bad as 2, but sometimes as good as 25+ (experienced the latter just a few times unfortunately). With the amount of marine life on and around the wreck though, it is a very nice divesite. Edited by stevenl

Having dived the King Cruiser countless times i can add my experiences. I have dived it in bad weather (been stormy for days with rain and quite a swell) and found the vis can be between 2 to 25 metres, regardless. Surprisingly, the vis on dive sites all around Phuket in low season, is usually better than in high season. I have been to the King Cruiser when the seas have been flat for weeks, with zero rain, and the vis has been atrocious. Fishing boats do have an impact, as Steven has already mentioned. They drag their nets, stirring up the bottom, which currents, usually strong, take to the King Cruiser, shark point and anemone reef included. I do agree however, that generally weather conditions do affect visability, and of course, sunlight makes any dive experience better above, and certainly while on a dive.

Although several years ago, the boat collapsed in on itself making it like another poster said, a twisted chunk of metal, it is obviously still recognizable as a wreck, and whatever the vis, it is always teeming with marine life... snappers, trevally, barracuda, lots of huge lion fish, scorpion fish, a resident turtle, and believe it or not nowadays it gets several visits a year by Whalesharks.

To dive the King Cruiser, and reputable dive operator will insist you already have your advanced open water ticket, or equivalent.

It's still a great dive, sometimes challenging if the currents are ripping, but very worthwhile.

If its good vis your after. Presently Racha Yai has 20 to 25 metres, and blue water. Stunning on a sunny day. I know that Scubacat, based in patong on the beach road, has its liveaboard based at Racha yai at the moment, and includes overnight stays for free if you book more than a single days diving or a dive course.

@ Huggy: Despite my youthfull appearence I have made over 2,000 dives, at the moment not much anymore though, but still around 6 dives a month.

Stevenl,

Maybe you need to read my original reaction to your post again.

Stevenl,

Maybe you need to read my original reaction to your post again.

Just read it again, and don't know what you mean. I don't see any real Gulf ripping or comparisons here, until you said: "where in Phuket seemingly the sun always shines and the diving is better than anywhere else in the world, especially the Gulf."

I never said that nor did I make a comparison. You also said: "it's amazing to see how the Phuket posse rips into the Gulf at any possibility given". I don't see anybody here making any real comparisons to the Gulf, except for somebody mentioning the Hard Deep, after which I said that on my last dive at King Cruiser the viz was worse than it was on my one and only dive at the Hard Deep. Hardly a negative comment is it?

You conveniently forget to mention this part of my post;

"To me this sums up a lot of posters from Phuket who post on dive related boards like here and Scubaboard."

Let's just say that I'm getting slightly fed up with mentioned 'Phuket posse' how they react towards everything that's not located near Phuket. Your comment fits the profile of what else I emntion in my original post. If you don't get it, don't worry.

You conveniently forget to mention this part of my post;

"To me this sums up a lot of posters from Phuket who post on dive related boards like here and Scubaboard."

Let's just say that I'm getting slightly fed up with mentioned 'Phuket posse' how they react towards everything that's not located near Phuket. Your comment fits the profile of what else I emntion in my original post. If you don't get it, don't worry.

So anyway, the OP is looking for dive companies that go to King Cruiser.

I am as guilty as the rest for going off topic (sorry OP).............

Scubacat

South Siam Divers

Phuket Pro Scuba

are just a few off the top of my head

I think the Op found it already.

And with the company he's looking at he'll enjoy himself without any doubt.

BTW, some of the operators you mention don't go to King Cruiser this time of year. (more or less on topic)

@ Limbos: maybe it is time for you to move :o

Stenvenl,

Divers and fishing boats add more particulate to the seas than wave action?

When I'm diving I generally see in more than 1 plane.

I think its time for you to do a refresher course. Take some time before you choose what level to refresh at.

Cheers

Stevenl,

That's your last resort, telling me to move? Although I do like and enjoy Phuket, if that's what you're suggesting, I'm very happy where I am right now.

Steven, it's a comparison that I made and your rather not well thought out comment about visibility not being related to the weather fits perfectly in the mould of what some Phuket posters seem to stand for and unfortunately that means that they can't see beyond their island border or boundary. A very sad state of affairs but unfortunately too true.

Rather than promoting Thailand as a whole you guys only stare at your own navels and tend to bash anything that isn't Phuket.

Would actually love to dive the King Cruiser again, last time I did dive it was around 98-99, almost 10 years ago. heard it disintegrated a bit. It was lovely and almost a brand new wreck when I dived it last.

Slight change of subject. This pic was taken earlier this year at The King Cruiser.

post-29217-1215598221_thumb.jpg

Absolute proof that there are 2 types of divers. Those that pee in their wetsuits and those who lie about it. :o

Last time i did that "take ur mask off and take out reg trick" was at 20 meters for a pic in similans.

Got so carried away, let go of the reg ( happily posing for the pic) when it dawned on me OH SH IT

Had a very interesting experience trying to locate the bugger later with blurry vision.Was the only time the old spare reg in the triangle trick was acted out for real.

These days try to look less handsome :D ( adds years to your life expectancy )

Edited by skippybangkok

Stevenl ,

Cheers

As a professional I have been diving in the Andaman Sea (Similans and Phuket) up to 700 times per year. I have worked here for about 7 years, I am not a dive operator.

If only it was as simple as you imagine; sure the factors you list do have a bearing.

But there is no clear simple relationship in the Andaman Sea between rain/wind/waves and the overall diving visibility on any one day - it's a myth.

In my experience the most powerful factors affecting underwater visibility here are, in order of significance:

1) Varying ocean current flows and upswellings - completely unpredictable as these do not run with the tidal flows.

2) Plankton and algae blooms - unpredictable - but more likely during periods in the high season.

3) Localised bottom trawling and fishing activities - unpredictable (ish) but locked into the lunar cycle.

4) Tidal movement - predictable - with the lunar cycle.

If dive companies could predict or guarantee visibility they would be much more wealthy today in reality than they are!

So just go diving and enjoy whatever you are gifted with.

Edited by digitalchromakey