Dodgy Thai Comedy

JiveTalker

Happened to come across a Thai "comedy" that had 2 Thai "comedians" blacked up. The Thai audience was lapping it up. Is this acceptable? Reminded me of a show called the Black and White minstrels that was popular in the 50s and 60s back in Britain until people realised it was racist and frankly embarrassing.

Is there nobody in Thailand that gives a sh*t, or is Thailand just 50 years behind the times?

Happened to come across a Thai "comedy" that had 2 Thai "comedians" blacked up. The Thai audience was lapping it up. Is this acceptable? Reminded me of a show called the Black and White minstrels that was popular in the 50s and 60s back in Britain until people realised it was racist and frankly embarrassing.

Is there nobody in Thailand that gives a sh*t, or is Thailand just 50 years behind the times?

I suppose the difference is that Thailand wasn't involved in the African slave trade and didn't have an empire where say Britain did. It is a completely different culture in Thailand so probably best not to judge it by the standards of your own culture.

I suppose the difference is that Thailand wasn't involved in the African slave trade and didn't have an empire where say Britain did. It is a completely different culture in Thailand so probably best not to judge it by the standards of your own culture.

So it's acceptable, in your opinion? Surely Thai society should be mature enough to realise that belittling a group of people because of the colour of their skin is wrong?

So it's acceptable, in your opinion? Surely Thai society should be mature enough to realise that belittling a group of people because of the colour of their skin is wrong?

Thanks for the chuckle

In Thai comedies they often emphasise physical differences, The poor Issan farmer is often portrayed as very black skinned. Is it acceptable comedy? You would need to ask the dark skinned people who they are poking fun at.

Surely Thai society should be mature enough to realise that belittling a group of people because of the colour of their skin is wrong?

That's probably one of the most ironically funny statements I've ever seen posted on here!

:o

:D

50's and 60's and 1970's

I guess you wouldn't like to see the re-runs of the British sitcom 'Love Thy Neighbour'. Actually, neither would I, they are just not funny.

In Thai comedies they often emphasise physical differences, The poor Issan farmer is often portrayed as very black skinned. Is it acceptable comedy? You would need to ask the dark skinned people who they are poking fun at.

Sorry, neglected to mention they were dressed up in American Hip-Hop gear. Not Issan farmers.

Sorry, neglected to mention they were dressed up in American Hip-Hop gear. Not Issan farmers.

What channel and what time please?

50's and 60's and 1970's

I guess you wouldn't like to see the re-runs of the British sitcom 'Love Thy Neighbour'. Actually, neither would I, they are just not funny.

I've seen reruns of that one. Benny Hill was at it as well. Benny Hill wasn't funny either.

You've obviously not spotted the 'Darlie' brand toothpaste on sale just about everywhere then :o ?

What channel and what time please?

One of the main Thai channels, can't remember which. The show that features 3 popular male Thai comedians including Mum Jok Mok (it wasn't him though). They are on a big stage with a live studio audience.

I didn't watch for long so couldn't really give you any more.

OK, so what exactly offended you about the fact that they were wearing black paint and hip-hop clothes? If it had been somebody dressed up in a kilt with ginger hair and freckles would you have been equally insulted? Or are you just upset because they were depicting a specific group. The Thais have no real history of persecuting black people so they are less sensitive about the issue. It is not due to them being 50 years behind.

Viewing other cultures as being behind is what was the most insulting thing about racist programmes from the past anyway.

Edited by garro

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Been here for just a short bit have you?

I have actually seen the footy show crew in sydney with black paint on there faces pretending to be black.

I mean who gives a crap, so are white teens who wear baggt pants and there hat backwards being racist? Are they pretending to be black? Some people just pull the racist card out way too easy

I agree, The Don. My dad was quite upset when it was cancelled. A bit off-topic, but I was upset when they banned the golliwogs from Robertson's jam. I had several badges, but could never complete the collection:

Tgollypin.jpg

You've obviously not spotted the 'Darlie' brand toothpaste on sale just about everywhere then :o ?

Unfortunately, it was originally called Darkie, but they changed it... I hear because of complaints. A buddy of mine still has one of the old toothpaste boxes. I'm glad they at least made this concession.

Edited by Galong

Are you also offended at the 1965 classic film Othello starring Laurence Olivier? In {it} Olivier has a heavily made up black face and a deep 'Afro' voice plus a 'funny' walk.

Personally, I think this movie is a classic.

In my mind opinion the Thais are in a very nice way racists.

My wife even got teached in school "if you have a snake and an indian kill the indian first" (as more dangerous).

Like the chinese cheat all, but half an hour later the same person told that they only deliver to chinese shops on invoice (as the thais never pay).

The indian are all dirty and "zigzag"....I buy the fabrics only by the indian because they have the best quality.

That black one looks ugly...lets ask him whats his name where he comes from etc etc.....

In europe we are all correct don't tell something ugly against another race, but keep distance, don't speak with them, don't go in their shops.

While in Thailand they speak a lot bs, but get in contact and accept them in a minute.

(At least my experience and don't expect that I could find any logic behind it).

Are you also offended at the 1965 classic film Othello starring Laurence Olivier? In {it} Olivier has a heavily made up black face and a deep 'Afro' voice plus a 'funny' walk.

Personally, I think this movie is a classic.

I saw the stage version at the National Theatre.

If I remember rightly, the Brighton peer was criticised at the time for portraying Othello as "too Jamaican."

Surely Thai society should be mature enough to realise that belittling a group of people because of the colour of their skin is wrong?

That's probably one of the most ironically funny statements I've ever seen posted on here!

:o

:D

That is the funniest thing I have read this morning on TV. In fact I must try and stop laughing as we are all off to a Thai funeral later today!.

You know the one - distant relative of Papa, not seen in years but we must all attend!

Do you know what the characters were saying? - It could well have been commentary on Hip-Hop "fashion" - I must admit I find the Hip Hop style laugh out loud funny, even idiotic - beanies in summer, oversized sports clothing

You mean the brand that only recently changed it's name from "Darkie?" As you can see in the picture below, the original name and picture were even more a mockery of people African ancestry.

post-21740-1215398802_thumb.jpg

Edited by toptuan

50's and 60's and 1970's

I've seen reruns of that one. Benny Hill was at it as well. Benny Hill wasn't funny either.

So thats why Benny Hill sold all over the world, must have been the serious documentary side in it?

50's and 60's and 1970's

So thats why Benny Hill sold all over the world, must have been the serious documentary side in it?

Probably more disturbing is that the OP actually watches Thai Comedy.

....reflections of a childish, immature, selfish, very low educated, feudalistic, stuck partly in middle ages, society, much of as "they" are...

make mock about this society and they feel deeply insulted, "but we are Thai people"!

now this is very funny! :o