Best Place To Get Non Imm 'b'

Penang will still be the easiest place to get the visa.

With the new budget arilines you can fly to Had Yai, then it is a short taxi drive across the border. So far Had Yai has not figured in the troubles.

Recent posts about Vientiane have not been very good, but I do not know about Savannakhet.

Please let us know what you do decide and how you get on.

...air asia also fly to Penang from Bangkok but the flight gets there too late to apply for the visa that day (apply: 9-12), and the plane to return leaves too early the day you pick up your visa also (pick up: 2-4). Could always take the taxi back to Hat Yai the day you pick up your visa.

There were heavily armed police all round the streets approaching the consulate last week...but don't let that dissuade you, better than none!

Savannakhet is pretty difficult as well, not quite as bad as Vientiane, but as Astral says Penang or even Singapore would be better IMO!

Since November 1st AirAisia operates a 8:10 pm flight from Penang to Bangkok, too!

Other than that, when I was in Penang (not at the Thai Embassy though) last week I had not the slightest Reason to worry for my security.

Malaysia (at least the Penang area) is definitely richer than Thailand, people are friendly to foreigners, most of them speak good English, I would worry more in Thailand.

Sunny

Savannakhet is pretty difficult as well, not quite as bad as Vientiane, but as Astral says Penang or even Singapore would be better IMO!

Since November 1st AirAisia operates a 8:10 pm flight from Penang to Bangkok, too!

Other than that, when I was in Penang (not at the Thai Embassy though) last week I had not the slightest Reason to worry for my security.

Malaysia (at least the Penang area) is definitely richer than Thailand, people are friendly to foreigners, most of them speak good English, I would worry more in Thailand.

Sunny

Yeah, I noticed AA had an extra flight a couple of days after booking my return; typical!! Hadn't been for a few years and this time round (for some reason) I found the people there really friendly as well, and it seemed genuine enough. Problem with Thailand, it's all a bit forced sometimes.

Penang only issues a one-year multiple-entry Class B if you already have a work permit. Singapore is at least that hard - earlier this year, they were not isuing ANY visa longer than 90 days to any third-party nationals - period.

Good luck!

Steve

Indo-Siam

As far as I know, Penang's policy is thatif you produce a blue work permit booklet, they give you a one-year multiple. Without the work permit, they give you a 90-day single. That 90-day single entry is the standard Thai Foreign Ministry directive to all diplomatic posts in SE Asia. Different posts apply different levels of discretion.

Good luck!

Steve

Indo-Siam