Phuket Gazette

HDRIDER

HI

My PC comes up with virus warning when i enter www.phuketgazette.com

what about yours?

Same here. I guess their hosting company had the servers compromised with a virus. Not the Gazette's fault though, but they should review how their hosting company is dealing with software updates and security measures. Someone using Windows visiting the website could unknowingly get a virus or trojan installed on their PC if they haven't updated their software recently. :o

Click on a link on their site and you get:

Reported Attack Site!

This web site at www.phuketgazette.com has been reported as an attack site and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack sites try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack sites intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners

Reported Attack Site!

This web site at www.phuketgazette.com has been reported as an attack site and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack sites try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack sites intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners

I just spoke to them, no worries. There are no dangerous scripts on their server. They were attacked by a hacker that garbled up some content, but it does not in any way affect the visitor. You can safely go to the website. In any case, make sure you always have your operating system and web browser updated to the latest version. Especially if you run Windows. ;-)

The warning from Google and some web browsers should be removed in a few days.

HI

My PC comes up with virus warning when i enter www.phuketgazette.com

what about yours?

You mean that website for that hardcopy rag whose byline should be:

"The Island's Source of Misinformation and Overpriced Real Estate"

?

I go PG.net and don't get the warning

Reported Attack Site!

I just spoke to them, no worries. There are no dangerous scripts on their server. They were attacked by a hacker that garbled up some content, but it does not in any way affect the visitor. You can safely go to the website. In any case, make sure you always have your operating system and web browser updated to the latest version. Especially if you run Windows. ;-)

What a bullshit, there are no dangerous scripts etc. Google gives the warning not for garbling content. The attacker usually put some code in a invisible I-frame that links the visitors browser to another site. That site drops the malicious code on the visitor's computer.

I have tried to check the website source but its so huge, the gazette website is so heavy coded with java script and ugly as hel_l as many other Thai websites. ( The Nation by example).

Reported Attack Site!

What a bullshit, there are no dangerous scripts etc. Google gives the warning not for garbling content. The attacker usually put some code in a invisible I-frame that links the visitors browser to another site. That site drops the malicious code on the visitor's computer.

I have tried to check the website source but its so huge, the gazette website is so heavy coded with java script and ugly as hel_l as many other Thai websites. ( The Nation by example).

Exactly.. I emailed them and got a reply that they were miffed at google and they were not harming anyone.. Even after pointing out they were distributing a virus.

I understand they were hacked and it wasnt intentional but its still thier security flaw that made virus distribution to PG users possible..

Also anyone else here used the same PG password over many sites ?? Did anyone make the mistake of using the password to the email used as a username the same ?? I have no way of knowing how well or if at all they encrypt the passes and if the database was accessed ??

Exactly.. I emailed them and got a reply that they were miffed at google and they were not harming anyone.. Even after pointing out they were distributing a virus.

I understand they were hacked and it wasnt intentional but its still thier security flaw that made virus distribution to PG users possible..

I would think it unlikely that the server of the Phuket Gazette was 'hacked'. Much more likely is that one of their advertisers injected malicious stuff with his ad (or they got the ad delivered by a third-party service). Quite a number of big-name websites have been used as vehicle to transport malicious scripts to users' computers this way, and since they come from a 'trusted' website, it is much less likely that they are caught.

Maybe this highlights an inherent problem the Gazette has: it calls itself a newspaper, but is in reality an advertising vehicle with some articles around it. I understand that everybody needs to make money, but then it should be labeled correctly as a brochure, not a newspaper.

Exactly.. I emailed them and got a reply that they were miffed at google and they were not harming anyone..

but is in reality an advertising vehicle with some articles around it. I understand that everybody needs to make money, but then it should be labeled correctly as a brochure, not a newspaper.

Spot on........in total agreement. Even the articles are ads.

I would think it unlikely that the server of the Phuket Gazette was 'hacked'. Much more likely is that one of their advertisers injected malicious stuff with his ad (or they got the ad delivered by a third-party service). Quite a number of big-name websites have been used as vehicle to transport malicious scripts to users' computers this way, and since they come from a 'trusted' website, it is much less likely that they are caught.

Maybe this highlights an inherent problem the Gazette has: it calls itself a newspaper, but is in reality an advertising vehicle with some articles around it. I understand that everybody needs to make money, but then it should be labeled correctly as a brochure, not a newspaper.

Oh be quiet. Have you never read a newspaper before? Without ads, there is no money, without money, there is no newspaper. Welcome to the world of publishing. And don't you work for hotel-travel-phuket.com? You're bringing a personal issue you have with the Gazette to the forum.

Oh be quiet. Have you never read a newspaper before? Without ads, there is no money, without money, there is no newspaper. Welcome to the world of publishing. And don't you work for hotel-travel-phuket.com? You're bringing a personal issue you have with the Gazette to the forum.

Uhuh, we have a funny person here. Everybody brings 'personal' issues to this forum, that's the nature of an internet forum. :D

But let me make it clear if I understood you correctly: you believe -- as a non-person, or how else do non-personal opinions work for you? -- that it is a must in modern publishing that a newspaper is an 'advertising vehicle with some articles around it'.

As somebody else wrote, bringing clearly also his own personal opinion to this forum: "Spot on........in total agreement. Even the articles are ads."; at least, Vanalli, you agreed in your totally objective statement that this is actually the case with the Phuket Gazette. :o

Edited by jts-khorat

Uhuh, we have a funny person here. Everybody brings 'personal' issues to this forum, that's the nature of an internet forum. :D

But let me make it clear if I understood you correctly: you believe -- as a non-person, or how else do non-personal opinions work for you? -- that it is a must in modern publishing that a newspaper is an 'advertising vehicle with some articles around it'.

As somebody else wrote, bringing clearly also his own personal opinion to this forum: "Spot on........in total agreement. Even the articles are ads."; at least, Vanalli, you agreed in your totally objective statement that this is actually the case with the Phuket Gazette. :o

I don't think you understood me. The personal issue I'm refering to is the gripe you have with the Gazette that you aren't sharing with the rest of us. This is the gripe that inspired you to write a blog post badmouthing the Gazette. You have shot down the credibility of hotel-travel-phuket.com by badmouthing a local business.

"Looks like the guys at the Phuket Gazette have been a little bit too greedy with their advertising banners; somebody has obviously injected malicious code in their website -- maybe time to rethink the strategy, if this is actually a newspaper or a website containing 80% advertising and 20% content!"

That is not the sort of comment that shows a trustworthy brand. It's a cheap shot.

Exactly.. I emailed them and got a reply that they were miffed at google and they were not harming anyone..

but is in reality an advertising vehicle with some articles around it. I understand that everybody needs to make money, but then it should be labeled correctly as a brochure, not a newspaper.

Spot on........in total agreement. Even the articles are ads.

500 views on this post so far, but even two days after the incident no official statement from the Gazette on their website and nobody from the Gazette dares to put something in writing here. It does not seem as if they do care at all about their customer base (and by chance, even though complaining, I did read their website daily until this rather severe warning popped up on my screen).

Maybe none of them is member here on Thai Visa, because opinions posted here are purely personal ones (and correctly marked as such), not the ones derived from modern publishing miracles.

I really would like to know, is their server no 'unhacked' and will it be safe visiting their website, or is there still the risk of getting infected by a virus, a trojan or other bad things, eg have they only made the warnign go away. What was the real problem anyway, and how risky was it really for anybody exposed to their injected code?

That is not the sort of comment that shows a trustworthy brand. It's a cheap shot.

The statement you quote looks to me rather like sensationalist journalism. You are right, I have never read sensationalist statements in the Phuket Gazette, I am deeply sorry if such a thing could have offended your delicate sense for the obvious.

Does hotel-travel-phuket.com have permission to use the content and images of the Phuket Gazette without crediting the relevant source? This isn't an accusation, just a simple question.

http://hotel-travel-phuket.com/blog/phuket...hales-beach.php

http://hotel-travel-phuket.com/blog/phuket...ach-at-cape.php

Also, I see that you've edited your original blog post to remove the content that I highlighted. That's weak. Really weak.

Edited by vanalli

Vanalli, doing 'discussion' on the childrens' level: if he has nothing better to say, he changes the subject. Maybe if this is all you can do, maybe you should not give statements about brand recognition and modern publishing, especially if they are more than "just" personal opinion.

So you ARE BELIEVING that it is a must in modern publishing that a newspaper is an 'advertising vehicle with some articles around it' and you agreed that this is actually the situation at the Phuket Gazette.

And do you believe it shows a trustworthy brand if the Phujet Gazette does not adress their website readers concerns about getting infected from their website in a statement but makes it all hush-hush go away?

Stay on topic, your answer will be fun! :o

Listen, jts-khora. It will not help your cause to go through your website and change all the content that you stole from the Gazette. Firstly, I took screen shots of all the material on your website that violates the Gazette's copyright. Secondly, there is such a thing as Google cache.

Furthermore, you've replaced Gazette content with AFP content! Oh boy.

Listen, jts-khora. It will not help your cause to go through your website and change all the content that you stole from the Gazette. Firstly, I took screen shots of all the material on your website that violates the Gazette's copyright. Secondly, there is such a thing as Google cache.

Furthermore, you've replaced Gazette content with AFP content! Oh boy.

Still not on topic, my dear friend Vanalli. So what is exactly your agenda? Maybe it would help if you declare your real interest in your total off-topic rant and then we can actually discuss the topic at hand.

Your incessant ranting about their copyright makes me think you actually work there.

I do not have a problem with that, but if so, I believe your employer will be entirely unhappy about your arguments with regards that modern journalism should be advertising-driven and not objective. At least you seem to have first-hand knowledge how this is handled at our local newspaper here , so I am sure you are in the perfect position to give an official statement in the name of the Phuket Gazette:

- the nature of the hack attack, risks for visitors

- why the Gazette does not post an update

- maybe a declaration how your curious stance on objective journalism is handled internally at the Gazette

Maybe than it is worth to discuss the merits of journalism and copyright with regard to any internet blogs you are happen to be a fan of at a later date and in another thread.

Edited by jts-khorat

I would say its perfectly on topic if your stealing the gazettes copyrighted content (and even now I not a picture you list as being from the Gazette, I doubt they have given you permission to reprint it on your commercial medium have they ??) while bad mouthing them.

Fairly high level hypocrisy there.

I really would like to know, is their server no 'unhacked' and will it be safe visiting their website, or is there still the risk of getting infected by a virus, a trojan or other bad things, eg have they only made the warnign go away. What was the real problem anyway, and how risky was it really for anybody exposed to their injected code?

They are no longer infected and or spreading malicious code. For a short period they were spreading an infection that was located on other sites, the infection was a known one and should have been blocked by a up to date anti virus solution.

You can never offload your own responsibility for security. They got hacked, and while they should have the best site security they can afford the reality is this is something that happened to them and wasnt intentional or malicious. You should have a up to date virus scanner using a windows box.

Fairly high level hypocrisy there.

Re-thought some of the statements made last night. I guess you are right, there was an element of hypocrisy involved, I still do use the Gazette daily to get at least a general idea what is happening.

I guess I got carried a little bit away after Vanalli put a general discussion about the merits of objective journalism into a personal mud fight, by just assuming that the blog he quoted was mine, the same as I (still must) assume that he actually works for the Gazette, hence his statements must be seen as at least semi-official.

I also am deeply saddened that with a little effort the quality of the reporting of the Gazette could be improved a lot, and I am actually shocked to hear that (presumed) employees of the Gazette believe it normal or even a must that their articles are purely driven by advertisers wishes.

With regard to quotations of articles and pictures on the internet in forums and blogs; I would assume that this is commonplace and accepted local practice, just a short look into ThaiVisa shows full articles of the Gazette including pictures quoted all over the place. Surely anybody with a conscience would remove them if there is a problem and if asked friendly.

And might I remind you that ThaiVisa is very much a 'commercial medium' by itself, surely a fact that has not escaped your attention.