Bangkok Voted World's Best City In Travel Poll

george

Bangkok voted world's best city in travel poll

Bangkok was voted the world's best city for 2008 and the Galapagos were picked as the best islands in an online poll by Travel + Leisure magazine, winning over last year's winners Florence, Italy and Bali, Indonesia.

US-based magazine readers also voted Singita Sabi Sand, at the Kruger National Park, South Africa, as the world's top hotel while Singapore Airlines grabbed the best airline award again.

It was the first time that Bangkok and the Galapagos Islands in Ecuador topped their respective categories, said Nancy Novogrod, editor-in-chief of Travel + Leisure.

Last year, Bangkok was ranked number 3 and the Galapagos number 8. The 2007 winners of best city and best island -- Florence and Bali -- fell to number 5 and number 2 respectively.

Singapore Airlines was voted number one, followed by Emirates, Thai Airways and Cathay Pacific.

Last year's number one hotel, the Oberoi Udaivilas in India, fell to number 4 this year. Singita Sabi Sands was voted the number two hotel in 2007.

The results were complied from votes by magazine subscribers in an Internet poll which went live between January and March. Travel + Leisure will honour winners on July 24 in New York City.

Top 10 cities :

1 Bangkok, Thailand 87.61

2 Buenos Aires, Argentina 87.24

3 Cape Town, South Africa 86.59

4 Sydney, Australia 86.49

5 Florence, Italy 86.24

6 Cuzco, Peru 86.15

7 Rome, Italy 85.12

8 New York, US 85.03

9 Istanbul, Turkey 84.61

10 San Francisco, US 84.42

Top 5 Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific

1 Sydney 86.49

2 Melbourne 80.35

3 Queenstown. New Zealand 79.95

4 Perth 77.78

5 Hobart 77.38

Top 10 Asia :

1 Bangkok, Thailand 87.61

2 Kyoto, Japan 84.27

3 Chiang Mai, Thailand 84.14

4 Hong Kong 83.69

5 Udaipur, India 83.51

6 Shanghai, China 81.83

7 Siem Reap, Cambodia 81.15

8 Beijing, China 81.05

9 Hanoi, Vietnam 80.87

10 Jaipur, India 80.78

Top 10 Europe :

1 Florence, Italy 86.24

2 Rome, Italy 85.12

3 Istanbul, Turkey 84.61

4 Paris, France 82.59

5 Krakow, Poland 82.14

6 Prague, Czech Republic 81.81

7 Venice, Italy 81.74

8 Barcelona, Spain 81.32

9 Vienna, Austria 80.99

10 Salzburg, Austria 80.63

Top 5 Mexico and Central and South America

1 Buenos Aires, Argentina 87.24

2 Cuzco Peru 86.15

3 San Miguel de Allende, Mexico 82.19

4 Rio de Janeiro 80.15

5 Antigua, Guatemala 79.92

Top 10 Africa and the Middle East

1 Cape Town 86.59

2 Jerusalem 84.39

3 Fez, Morocco 80.77

4 Marrakesh, Morocco 80.46

5 Cairo 80.23

6 Dubai 78.86

7 Tel Aviv 78.60

8 Amman 74.52

9 Tunis 71.93

10 Alexandria 70.72

Top 10 Islands :

1 Galapagos Islands 87.64

2 Bali 86.32

3 Maui 86.09

4 Kauai 85.87

5 Tasmania 85.00

6 Easter Island 84.78

7 Hawaii 84.66

8 Santorini 84.52

9 Great Barrier Reef Islands 84.42

10 Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia 83.82

Top 3 Asia :

|1 Bali 86.32

2 Phuket Thailand 82.64

3 Penang Malaysia 81.67

Top 5 Europe :

1 Santorini, Greece 84.52

2 Dalmatian Islands, Croatia 83.50

3 Sicily, Italy 82.92

4 Ischia, Italy 82.41

5 Cyclades, Greece (Santorini rated separately) 82.40

Top 3 Mexico and Central and South America

1 Galapagos Islands 87.64

2 Easter Island, Chile 84.78

3 Ambergris Cay, Belize 78.08

Top 20 Hotel Spas:

1 Wickaninnish Inn Tofino, Vancouver Island, Canada 92.66

2 Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai, Thailand 92.19

3 Lodge at Pebble Beach California, US 90.94

4 Four Seasons Resort Nevis, US 90.88

5 Maroma Resort & Spa Riviera Maya, Mexico 90.79

6 Esperanza Resort Los Cabos, Mexico 90.63

7 Auberge du Soleil Rutherford, California, US 90.37

8 Four Seasons Hotel George V Paris, France 90.28

9 Camelback Inn, A JW Marriott Resort & Spa Scottsdale, Arizona, US 90.14

10 Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands 90.10

11 Grand Wailea Resort Hotel & Spa Maui, US 89.66

12 The Oriental Bangkok, Thailand 89.58

13 Grove Park Inn Resort & Spa Asheville, North Carolina, US 89.51

14 One & Only Ocean Club Paradise Island, Bahamas 89.47

15 Four Seasons Hotel Las Vegas, US 89.42

16 Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea, US 88.75

17 The Peninsula Chicago, US 88.64

18 Ritz-Carlton Bachelor Gulch Beaver Creek, Colorado, US 88.62

19 Hotel del Coronado San Diego, US 88.16

20 American Club Kohler, Wisconsin, US 87.99

--The Nation 2008-07-10

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Singapore Airlines was voted number one, followed by Emirates, Thai Airways and Cathay Pacific.

--The Nation 2008-07-10

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

They GOTTA be kidding!!!!! Anyone who believes that ought to be, straight away, on Thai's nonstop flights between New York and BKK! :o

--The Nation 2008-07-10

They GOTTA be kidding!!!!! Anyone who believes that ought to be, straight away, on Thai's nonstop flights between New York and BKK! :o

I guess that is moot now as I beleive Thai are cutting/have cut that route

--The Nation 2008-07-10

You mean the flight they cancelled? :D

--The Nation 2008-07-10

You mean the flight they cancelled? :o

Thai Airways International has announced that it will launch A direct flight from Tokyo, Japan, to Phuket, Thailand, starting from July 17, 2008.

The airline will operate two flights per week, on Thursdays and Saturdays. The aircraft employed will be a B777-200, with 30 seats in royal executive and 279 in economy configurations.

Apinan Sumanaseni, president of Thai Airways, said: "In order to serve the growing demand and travel needs of Japanese passengers, Thai will re-launch the direct flight TG 671 operating Tokyo-Phuket-Bangkok."

:o Heck yes, I've lived here two years and I'm more than sick of it...I hate this goddamn place. I don't know how this can not be a joke...and ranked 3 last year even...wow...it's as if these people just pull city names out of a hat without taking the time to go there and spend a month or two...

:o Heck yes, I've lived here two years and I'm more than sick of it...I hate this goddamn place. I don't know how this can not be a joke...and ranked 3 last year even...wow...it's as if these people just pull city names out of a hat without taking the time to go there and spend a month or two...

Tis prob alright if you come here, stay in The Oriental for 2 weeks and never leave your room...

--The Nation 2008-07-10

DUHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That WAS the point...of my suggestion above....

:D Heck yes, I've lived here two years and I'm more than sick of it...I hate this goddamn place. I don't know how this can not be a joke...and ranked 3 last year even...wow...it's as if these people just pull city names out of a hat without taking the time to go there and spend a month or two...

Actually I would be very interested in knowing what criteria was used in the judging.... Joking asside... :o

Me too. September 30th just won't get here fast enough. :D

I agree with Micky,Bangkok is the best and is #1. I cannot believe anyone would think NYC is better, it is a sxxthole. Yanks go home please!!!!

WOW!! That's a bit strong...I've always figured home was where I hung my hat... :o

I wonder how the list would look if they ask the Europeans...

The list (American Express) is mainly the opinion of a limited number of mostly American travelers and most of them don't even know where Kopenhagen or Florence is :o

American outbound tourism is small anyway, in comparison to European tourism.

LaoPo

I've loved Bangkok since I first set foot in it 35 years ago. Give folks a smile and they smile right back. In the west you would be considered demented to smile so much. I would live in Bangkok if it wasn't for the pollution.

I agree with Micky,Bangkok is the best and is #1. I cannot believe anyone would think NYC is better, it is a sxxthole. Yanks go home please!!!!

WOW!! That's a bit strong...I've always figured home was where I hung my hat... :o

Everywhere I have travelled in the world, including the U.S., I've found both good and not so good and Thailand is no different. I love Thailand for different reasons then why I love the U.S. Problem, as I see it, people feel the need to choose sides and that's why we have wars. :D

Edited by ETC

Everywhere I have travelled in the world, including the U.S., I've found both good and not so good and Thailand is no different. I love Thailand for different reasons then why I love the U.S. Problem, as I see it, it that people feel the need to choose sides and that's why we have wars. :D

Agreed , unless the war is for oil i.e.Iraq

Everywhere I have travelled in the world, including the U.S., I've found both good and not so good and Thailand is no different. I love Thailand for different reasons then why I love the U.S. Problem, as I see it, it that people feel the need to choose sides and that's why we have wars. :D

With due respect.. I think my previous statement stands as stated. They may just be choosing sides on who should get the oil is all. :D

Agreed , unless the war is for oil i.e.Iraq

WELL IVE LIVED IN CANADA,HOLLAND ENGLAND AUSTRALIA AND THAILAND BUT I THINK SYDNEY IS A MUCH NICER PLACE THAN ALL OTHERS BY FAR. Edited by zepplin

WELL IVE LIVED IN CANADA,HOLLAND ENGLAND AUSTRALIA AND THAILAND BUT I THINK SYDNEY IS A MUCH NICER PLACE THAN ALL OTHERS BY FAR.

AGREE about Sydney. So, why did you leave it? Too expensive?

Edited by Trevor

WELL IVE LIVED IN CANADA,HOLLAND ENGLAND AUSTRALIA AND THAILAND BUT I THINK SYDNEY IS A MUCH NICER PLACE THAN ALL OTHERS BY FAR.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and I think that includes cities. :o