Two Or Three Day Fine?

So here's my situation....my tourist visa expires on July 20th. My flight leaving Thailand is on July 23rd at 12:05 am. Obviously, I'd get fined for July 21st and July 22nd. Any idea whether I'd also get fined for overstaying for 5 minutes on the 23rd? Or is that one of those things that depends on the mood of the person doling out the fine?

Thanks!

So here's my situation....my tourist visa expires on July 20th. My flight leaving Thailand is on July 23rd at 12:05 am. Obviously, I'd get fined for July 21st and July 22nd. Any idea whether I'd also get fined for overstaying for 5 minutes on the 23rd? Or is that one of those things that depends on the mood of the person doling out the fine?

Thanks!

If your flight's at 0005 hrs you'll be needing to go through Immigration probably about 2300 hrs the day before, so good luck....

And don't get caught in overstay on the way to the airport, Suan Plu IDC is a decidedly unpleasant place!

Mac

Thanks!

Go to your local Immigration office and get a 7 day extension. Cost 1,900 Baht .

Then you will have no worries.

Go to your local Immigration office and get a 7 day extension. Cost 1,900 Baht .

A mate of mine is in a simlar position. I sent him to a visa run company and they advised him that he had been in and out too many times on a tourist visa - so they would not take him.

Anyway, his tourist visa expires on the 17th of this month and his flight does not leave until the 27th. He is happy to pay the Bt,5,000 overstay at the airport but is concerned that it may not be that simple. I just realised that it would also not be good if he gets "pulled up" whilst in "overstay mode" either.

Can he extend somewhere in Bangkok for 10 days ?

7 days is the most you can obtain on a 30 day visa exempt entry (which I suspect is what your friend actually has).

Correct - he is from the UK. So, it looks like the best he can do then is to get a 7 day extension and then pay 3 days overstay at the airport.

7 days is the most you can obtain on a 30 day visa exempt entry (which I suspect is what your friend actually has).

Correct - he is from the UK. So, it looks like the best he can do then is to get a 7 day extension and then pay 3 days overstay at the airport.

If he gets the extension now, there'll be no overstay fine.

Yep, two different cases in this thread, Alarmguy's mate probably never had a proper tourist visa, as there is no limit on these. So no visa run either, as he would probably have exceeded this as well, not sure if immigration would be willing to extend his 30 days once more. He could always try to get a tourist visa in Laos for instance, or indeed pay the fine.

To anwser AlarmGuy's question more directly: Your friend can go to an immigration office, but be sure to have his ticket out of the country with him. On show of that they will determine his overstay, fine him and sent him away. Than no more risk of being detained.

To anwser AlarmGuy's question more directly: Your friend can go to an immigration office, but be sure to have his ticket out of the country with him. On show of that they will determine his overstay, fine him and sent him away. Than no more risk of being detained.

Thanks everyone. I guess it wouldn't hurt to go down to immigration to find out - whilst he is still allowed to be here legally.

Ah, interesting to see where this thread ended up after my initial post. Haven't had much email access tha past few days but based on the first two responses, I decided it was best to head to Ranong and do a quick border run. Not a fun experience but at least it's over with and now I have nothing to worry about.