Having A Powerboat In Phuket

SGhawker

Hello folks.

We live in Singapore and used to go holidays in Krabi. As there are no direct flights anymore, we think of buying a powerboat in Phuket and flying in for short holidays or long-weekends to spend time in the waters around Phuket, Phi-Phi etc. We hope it could be much better life-style rather than renting or buying a property in Phuket.

Please could you advise if you think this is a practical idea (or you may even know people from BKK, SIN, HKG etc doing such thing already)?

I checked this forum and searched internet but still failed to find a forum or community of boaties living in Phuket - any other forums of expats, contacts or websites you might suggest please?

Obviosly, I need lots of practical advise about buying and keeping the boat - I am a newbie but fancy the whole idea for years. Any thoughts, contacts or bits of practical advise would be most welcome.

Many thanks

Mike

You can own the boat as a non-Thai citizen (unlike a private plane which must be owned by a Thai), however the paperwork involved in importing a boat yourself is rather extensive and will require you to be in Thailand regularly to complete. The alternative which I suggest is to buy through a dealer and let them do the work for you. I bought a 240LS Crownline through Lee Marine and found them to be very helpful. It is a US boat and perfect for the waters around Hua Hin. The local made Thai boats are plywood with 2-stroke diesel outboards. The can be very fast, but smelly and noisy. However, if you still want to import the boat yourself, I'd say keep finding out information and go for it! Talk to the Marinas in Phuket where you will keep it. Occasionally, there is a good used boat for sale in Thailand.

You can own the boat as a non-Thai citizen (unlike a private plane which must be owned by a Thai), however the paperwork involved in importing a boat yourself is rather extensive and will require you to be in Thailand regularly to complete. The alternative which I suggest is to buy through a dealer and let them do the work for you. I bought a 240LS Crownline through Lee Marine and found them to be very helpful. It is a US boat and perfect for the waters around Hua Hin. The local made Thai boats are plywood with 2-stroke diesel outboards. The can be very fast, but smelly and noisy. However, if you still want to import the boat yourself, I'd say keep finding out information and go for it! Talk to the Marinas in Phuket where you will keep it. Occasionally, there is a good used boat for sale in Thailand.

Many thanks sunrise. Many thanks for advise. I plan to visit Phuket soon and go around marinas.

Do you maybe know any government website or their office where I could read about all legal aspects of buying and owning a boat in Thailand? I am not a resident of Thailand and I have no legal/residence address there - is it no problem with such status to own a boat there for private leasure purpose...?

About boat type (apart we need a 25-30ft cruiser for a sleeping cabin, head, small kitchen with fridge for comfortable over-nights), I guess the main choice would be between a boat with overboard or stern engine.

What is the the best/practical boat for Phuket waters, visiting Phang Nga islands, landing on the beaches (a dinghy will be too much hussle for relatevely small boat), snorkelling, occasional fishing etc?

Is generally the waters around Phuket possible/comfortable to navigate with a 25-30 speedboad during summer mossoon season?

Many thanks again for your help. I will check with Lee Marine ppl (already scanned their website for available boats) and still hope someone will help me with contacts to LOS boaties chatting online - just cannot overload this forum with all my naive questions!

Mike

Hi Mike,

I live in Pattaya but spend a lot of time in Phuket.

I have been a boatie for over 30 yrs and I recomend that you contact Craig at Max Marine Asia.

He is a fellow Ozzie and has some good experience with the general area for over 14 yrs. He is an ex commercial navigator merchant seaman.

Contact +66 819700583

Tell him you got the contact details from the water guy in Pattaya. That way he will owe me a beer or 2.

Cheers

Hello folks.

We live in Singapore and used to go holidays in Krabi. As there are no direct flights anymore, we think of buying a powerboat in Phuket and flying in for short holidays or long-weekends to spend time in the waters around Phuket, Phi-Phi etc. We hope it could be much better life-style rather than renting or buying a property in Phuket.

Please could you advise if you think this is a practical idea (or you may even know people from BKK, SIN, HKG etc doing such thing already)?

I checked this forum and searched internet but still failed to find a forum or community of boaties living in Phuket - any other forums of expats, contacts or websites you might suggest please?

Obviosly, I need lots of practical advise about buying and keeping the boat - I am a newbie but fancy the whole idea for years. Any thoughts, contacts or bits of practical advise would be most welcome.

Many thanks

Mike

There are many people who live in other countries on a permanent basis but have a boat OR a share of a boat in Phuket.

The importation and Thai registration is not terribly complex but it does take some time, however there are a couple of companies which will do the job for you. The last one which I had done cost me THB 26,000 plus the 7% VAT, plus the document and inspection charges levied by Customs and the Harbour Department. The Harbour Department charged me a THB 30,000 "inspection" fee which was the only charge requiring a good deal of substantiation.

If you buy from one of the recognised dealers you should not have any problems with this as they do the importation for you. The recommended people to see are: Lee Marine - Martin Holmes - Crownline, Jeanneau and Riviera, Simpson Marine - Grant Saunders - Beneteau, Custom (they have been operating in Asia for about 30 years), Max Marine - Craig Murphy - Bayliner, Sunseeker, Asia Marine - Olivier Payen - Mustang, Or Royal Phuket Marina Cruising Club which has shares in a Sunseeker Portofino which are priced at less than the cost of a 30 foot boat. Some of these operators will offer a boat management option to cover those times when you are not in the country.

If you would like any further information, just PM me. I have been in the Phuket marine industry for the last 18 years and I don't work for a broker.

There seems to be people in this thread that know their stuff so perhaps someone could give me the answer to a question that has eluded me for a long time. It has been covered in TV several times before but never answered conclusively. I want to know, if I bought a small speed boat, Thai registered in a Thai persons name, for personal use only, can I get the license to operate it legally, on my own with no Thai skipper on board. I remember reading that you had to prove that you had been a captain of a yacht for two years or need a 'Helmsman Level 2' license which is only issued to Thai nationals. Can anyone give me a definite answer to this question. Thanks.

Bagwain, Capex - many thanks guys for your help, contacts and advise. I will PM you with further specific questions or approach your suggested contacts.

We will be getting initial info from all possible sources next weeks and will arrange a trip for September to look around and make some face-to-face meetings. Please count on a pint or 3 on me - would be great to meet you.

cheers and very glad I finally found the forum and people knowing quite a lot.

Mike

PS Licence question stands interesting but it seems there are non-Thais owing boats in Phuket so it sounds leasure boating is legally possible for private non-commercial boats (do Thai authorities accept licences received abroad say in Malaysia, OZ, HKG, SG etc? I can go for the training course in Singapore...

Edited by SGhawker

My OH can also recommend Max-Marine. He has just ordered a 25 foot boat being imported from U.S. Max-Marine can sort out all the import stuff, legal stuff. They also do some training for complete newbies if required, and can put you in touch with someone for further training, again if required. They seem very helpful.

We liked the look of Boat Lagoon for mooring - such a lot of facilites there, and Max-Marine also recommended the place. There are others - Royal Phuket Marina. Another one at the top of the island (Yacht Marina??) - very close for Phang Nga bay, but the approach road to the marina not very user-friendly. Mooring at Chalong in the south of the island, though heard stories about the Chalong Mafia :o

Sunrise, does your new Crownline have a sterndrive or outboard engine? If former, how do you find landing on a beach?...

I thought outboards would be much easier for shallow waters as you can lift them out of the water... Do HuaHin area differ much from Phuket area? cheers

Edited by SGhawker

Sunrise, does your new Crownline have a sterndrive or outboard engine? If former, how do you find landing on a beach?...

I thought outboards would be much easier for shallow waters as you can lift them out of the water... Do HuaHin area differ much from Phuket area? cheers

My Crownline has a sterndrive (350 Magnum MPI Seacore). My wife tried some outboards and hated the noise and smell of gas. They were 2-strokes though, the most popular in Thai-made boats.. I cannot land on the beach. I need to anchor in 3 feet of water and get a bit wet to go to the beach. There are pluses and minuses both ways. Your decision. Generally, the water off the coast is pretty shallow here around Hua Hin-Pranburi. Not much boating, either. Only about 10 pleasure boats.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all –

I’ve been looking at the Crownline and Bayliner websites and I’m rather interested in a cruiser of approximately 27 ft.

I’d be interested to keep it a short drive away from Bangkok i.e. in Pattaya Marina and take it away on weekends away to Koh Samet / Koh Chang etc and also use it for water sports (wakeboarding and perhaps some fishing).

I’ve read that there are agents in Phuket who take care of ordering from the states, shipping and tax etc and I’m not worried about any of this.... But, being a complete newbie to all of this I am wondering about the practicalities of my ideas which mainly involve taking it away to somewhere like Kho Samet, or across to Hua Hun for a weekend, and anchoring it over night in a bay, or a Pier, popping onto the beaches to enjoy the evening at a beach restaurant and return to the boat later on in the evening to sleep. I really like the idea of the freedom, but does this come at the cost of security or a silly level of hassle etc ?

Does anyone have any practical experience of this and any stories to share....

Thanks...

Edited by richard_smith237

Hi all –

I’ve been looking at the Crownline and Bayliner websites and I’m rather interested in a cruiser of approximately 27 ft.

I’d be interested to keep it a short drive away from Bangkok i.e. in Pattaya Marina and take it away on weekends away to Koh Samet / Koh Chang etc and also use it for water sports (wakeboarding and perhaps some fishing).

I’ve read that there are agents in Phuket who take care of ordering from the states, shipping and tax etc and I’m not worried about any of this.... But, being a complete newbie to all of this I am wondering about the practicalities of my ideas which mainly involve taking it away to somewhere like Kho Samet, or across to Hua Hun for a weekend, and anchoring it over night in a bay, or a Pier, popping onto the beaches to enjoy the evening at a beach restaurant and return to the boat later on in the evening to sleep. I really like the idea of the freedom, but does this come at the cost of security or a silly level of hassle etc ?

Does anyone have any practical experience of this and any stories to share....

Thanks...

I have been doing this sort of thing for years on the west coast, and it has been absolutely enjoyable. I have never once had problems with security and have always left the boat unlocked (but taken the keys :o ) I have had limited experience in Pattaya but from what I have seen, once you get away from the place, the islands have some beautiful beaches and clear water. However, these island are owned by the Navy and you can't stay overnight. There are still many other beaches where you can do as you suggest, pop ashore and go to a restaurant. As for staying overnight, that will obviously depend on the weather and how much shelter you can get for your boat. If you need any more information, particularly on dealers and the best type of boat then feel free to PM me.

I know a web designer who has just bought the domain name www.yacht.asia and is currnetly designing a web site for yachties & boaties. Will have a forum, articles about equipment, classified, and more.

He tells me it will be ready in about 2 or 3 months. I'm an ex-yachtie live-aboard, and I'm looking forward to this new web site.

I know a web designer who has just bought the domain name www.yacht.asia and is currnetly designing a web site for yachties & boaties. Will have a forum, articles about equipment, classified, and more.

He tells me it will be ready in about 2 or 3 months. I'm an ex-yachtie live-aboard, and I'm looking forward to this new web site.

I will have a website up and running on exactly this subject, later this week. PM me for the name.

I will have a website up and running on exactly this subject, later this week. PM me for the name.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys.

I have no experience with the boat in the sea.

I planning to be on Phuket about 6 month in year usually from oct till april.

And I want to buy a boat.

Currently I am choosing from different variants.

I planning go to phi phi ,phang nga bay all this in radius 50 km

and also want to go to similian islands and etc.

So i need your advice.

I want to buy bayliner 197 outboard (19 feet) with 115 4-stroke mercury

pictures here

http://www.bayliner.com/discovery_model.as...;reqtype=1,9,23

Could you tell me,is this not dangerous to go with such small boat to the sea?

I mean if i go to similian ,this is 100km away from phuket, and if run through stormy water ,such boat will be comfortable and is it possible to make such long trips on this boat?

The reason why i choosing this boat because of fuel economy, if i take bigger boat i need to put biggir engine and it will eat more gazoline, and because this is not a river i need to have economy boat.

In other words ,is such boat will be ok for my needs and is not risk to go in radius 100 km from phuket on this boat?

Hi Guys.

I have no experience with the boat in the sea.

I planning to be on Phuket about 6 month in year usually from oct till april.

And I want to buy a boat.

Currently I am choosing from different variants.

I planning go to phi phi ,phang nga bay all this in radius 50 km

and also want to go to similian islands and etc.

So i need your advice.

I want to buy bayliner 197 outboard (19 feet) with 115 4-stroke mercury

pictures here

http://www.bayliner.com/discovery_model.as...;reqtype=1,9,23

Could you tell me,is this not dangerous to go with such small boat to the sea?

I mean if i go to similian ,this is 100km away from phuket, and if run through stormy water ,such boat will be comfortable and is it possible to make such long trips on this boat?

The reason why i choosing this boat because of fuel economy, if i take bigger boat i need to put biggir engine and it will eat more gazoline, and because this is not a river i need to have economy boat.

In other words ,is such boat will be ok for my needs and is not risk to go in radius 100 km from phuket on this boat?

Why don't you talk to Max-Marine or one of the others mentioned in this thread. They have wealth of experience and import Bayliners. My OH has just bought one from them.

I don't know much about speedboats, but I would recommend for trips to Phi Phi and even further out the Similans to have at least 2 engines.

4-strokes are better for the environment than 2-stroke engines and also more reliable, but all outboard engines are vulnerable, so IMO 2 engines would be required.

Yes, i can ask any dealer,but I am interesting to hear some opinion from people who have experience with powerboats.

Cause all dealers want to sell and because of this they cannot be very clear.

About two engines you are right it will be much better,but for this boat its possible to have only one it seems.

But i am interesting to her about the bpat,how this small boat,i think 19 feet it small for the sea, will feel on the water, and if possible to go far away like to Similian.

Yes, i can ask any dealer,but I am interesting to hear some opinion from people who have experience with powerboats.

About two engines you are right it will be much better,but for this boat its possible to have only one it seems.

But i am interesting to her about the bpat,how this small boat,i think 19 feet it small for the sea, will feel on the water, and if possible to go far away like to Similian.

DarkSH you are correct that a 19 foot boat can get to the Similans and maybe back again, but the question which you should be asking is "will it do it regularly without problems?" The answer is "possibly" but what happens when it doesn't? When the sea gets rough and the single engine gives out, who are you going to call, that is providing you can make a call? The Similans is between 30 and 80 (approximately) miles from Phuket, depending upon where you started your trip from. It is all open sea and many times here, the weather changes locally, which means it cannot be predicted. You will then be in the position of answering the question "when does my boat start to shrink?" as I can assure you it will when you suddenly get a 25knot breeze which will kick up a sea of between 2 and 2.5 metres after only 1 hour of steady blowing and it can send you to Sumatra in the North East monsoon or a very inhospitable part of the Thai or Burmese coast in the SW monsoon, providing you remain on board.

May I respectfully suggest that if you are considering going that far that you budget to purchase a boat of at least 25 feet minimum length,(preferably 30 feet) with two outboards, either Yamaha or Suzuki four strokes (Honda are an acceptable alternative but have poor service in Phuket). If you are going for a larger boat the preferred power source is twin diesel engines, Yanmar, Caterpillar or Cummins. Volvo come a very poor last. Do not under any circumstances be persuaded to purchase a gasoline powered engine for your boat which is usually coupled with a stern drive and comes with the mandatory 240 hours replacement of a lot of expensive parts.

You may PM me if you would like some recommendations as to brands and dealers. Cheers.

Thank you very much for your replay.

Yes,you are right to have one engine its too dangerous when I go so far.

What do you think if I put something like 10HP engine as secondary and will run it only in case if primary will be broken?

Anyway its better that nothing.

The speed will be slow, but anyway i can reach the coast in few hours instead of driftage on the sea.

Usually I planing to swim around phang-nga -phi-phi area of water but some times want to go somewhere else.

Unfortunately my budget is not so big to buy 25-30 feet boat, also for such boats i will need to spend a lot of more for gasoline.

Usually we only two person,so we don't need big boat,cause it will be expensive to service such boat.

DarkSH you are correct that a 19 foot boat can get to the Similans and maybe back again, but the question which you should be asking is "will it do it regularly without problems?" The answer is "possibly" but what happens when it doesn't? When the sea gets rough and the single engine gives out, who are you going to call, that is providing you can make a call? The Similans is between 30 and 80 (approximately) miles from Phuket, depending upon where you started your trip from. It is all open sea and many times here, the weather changes locally, which means it cannot be predicted. You will then be in the position of answering the question "when does my boat start to shrink?" as I can assure you it will when you suddenly get a 25knot breeze which will kick up a sea of between 2 and 2.5 metres after only 1 hour of steady blowing and it can send you to Sumatra in the North East monsoon or a very inhospitable part of the Thai or Burmese coast in the SW monsoon, providing you remain on board.

May I respectfully suggest that if you are considering going that far that you budget to purchase a boat of at least 25 feet minimum length,(preferably 30 feet) with two outboards, either Yamaha or Suzuki four strokes (Honda are an acceptable alternative but have poor service in Phuket). If you are going for a larger boat the preferred power source is twin diesel engines, Yanmar, Caterpillar or Cummins. Volvo come a very poor last. Do not under any circumstances be persuaded to purchase a gasoline powered engine for your boat which is usually coupled with a stern drive and comes with the mandatory 240 hours replacement of a lot of expensive parts.

You may PM me if you would like some recommendations as to brands and dealers. Cheers.

What do you think if I put something like 10HP engine as secondary and will run it only in case if primary will be broken?

The speed will be slow, but anyway i can reach the coast in few hours instead of driftage on the sea.

Usually I planing to swim around phang-nga -phi-phi area of water but some times want to go somewhere else.

Unfortunately my budget is not so big to buy 25-30 feet boat, also for such boats i will need to spend a lot of more for gasoline.

Usually we only two person,so we don't need big boat,cause it will be expensive to service such boat.

You may PM me if you would like some recommendations as to brands and dealers. Cheers

If you can only afford the smaller boat, by all means go for it and certainly do add a "get home" engine. That being said, you would be foolish to try and go to the Similans and back in a 19ft boat. In most countries you would be breaking the law by doing so as the boat is not certified for traveling offshore. There are plenty of other places to go in sheltered waters in Phang Nga.

cheers.

If you can only afford the smaller boat, by all means go for it and certainly do add a "get home" engine. That being said, you would be foolish to try and go to the Similans and back in a 19ft boat. In most countries you would be breaking the law by doing so as the boat is not certified for traveling offshore. There are plenty of other places to go in sheltered waters in Phang Nga.

cheers.

Capex gives good advice. I have to wonder at you previous boating experience given that you plan to go out to The Similians in a small one engined boat. You will be required to pass an exam in Thailand to obtain a certificate/licence to skipper your own boat in Thai water. Think you can pass that exam ?

OK, it seems you are right, Similans far and its open ocean. Its possible but dangerous, I understand.

But what do you think if I go to phi-phi?

Is it also far away for my boat?

You may PM me if you would like some recommendations as to brands and dealers. Cheers

cheers.

Phi Phi is not so far away, say 2+ hours at a fuel efficient speed. It's also a busy route so if you get into trouble then help is not too far away. No problem in the dry season months, but best pick your weather days in the monsoon season. You could also go on to Krabi (Ao Nang) and more easterly to Lanta Island. Further south (of Phi Phi) is Raya Island. These are all within easy (few hours) reach. I would still recommend a second get-home engine.

Generally sound advise to a potential small boat owner is, if it flys ,floats or fxxxs rent it.

as a professional yachtie, i hate that word, small power boats under 40' are day boats with very occasional overnight accom.

They have value to enhance your existing assets ie a home as a way to get out for the day only and overnight if your stuck.

tidal ranges around phuket means that you need something big enough to support a tender to get ashore in the evenings if you dont want to arrive at that nice restarent in pp in your swimis or get taken by the current getting back

There are very few places you can get alongside outside of the marinas of phuket.

phi phi sufers from terrible swell all night due to the volume of boat traffic as does krabi which makes those harbours untennable to sleep on a small craft.

a better option for short holidays of a few days or a week is a sail bot and all the training required can be obtained locally.

a sail boat is safer more stable, i think much more fun and enviormentally sound.

you can tow a rib so getting ashore means wet ankles only and thet give you a real platform upon which to enjoys life afloat.

sure they are slower but you can still be in phi phi in 6 hours and have had the fun of the journey and can due to there weight and balast be comfortable .

feel free to pm me for any advise on local yachting and the cruising area.

I understand everything.

But what i can't understand is

How thai people offer to bring you to any island on their long tail boat?

They do it all the time they go to phi-phi i am sure.

They even can bring you to Malasya and other places.

I don't think that their boats is more safe that bayliner.