Pets At Chatuchak

i stumbled into the pet section at chatuchak today after a couple of years not seeing it... some of it seems ok, with the pets behind glass doors in air conditioned rooms. but others have all the puppies/kittens piled up on top of each other. today was a very hot day, and i was sweating like a pig. some of these animals have very thick fur coats (what are persian cats doing in thailand??? st. bernards?) there was no fan for them, no water in sight. some of them looked half dead. to make things worse, at one stall they were blow drying them with hot air to fluff up their coats!!!! i wanted to scream at them!!! also, i saw a couple of babies with watery diarrhea... the handlers just dabbed at the floor of their box with tissue to clean it up. very unhygienic and all the dogs can easily get infected from the others.

is there any sort of organization looking out for these pets that i can contribute to? i was horrified at what i saw today. also, what happens to the pets they don't sell????

Edited by girlx

i stumbled into the pet section at chatuchak today after a couple of years not seeing it... some of it seems ok, with the pets behind glass doors in air conditioned rooms. but others have all the puppies/kittens piled up on top of each other. today was a very hot day, and i was sweating like a pig. some of these animals have very thick fur coats (what are persian cats doing in thailand??? st. bernards?) there was no fan for them, no water in sight. some of them looked half dead. to make things worse, at one stall they were blow drying them with hot air to fluff up their coats!!!! i wanted to scream at them!!! also, i saw a couple of babies with watery diarrhea... the handlers just dabbed at the floor of their box with tissue to clean it up. very unhygienic and all the dogs can easily get infected from the others.

is there any sort of organization looking out for these pets that i can contribute to? i was horrified at what i saw today. also, what happens to the pets they don't sell????

Yes, I totally agree with you about the conditions, both of the animals and the shops/stalls etc. I assume you've been around in Thailand for a while and can see how animals especially dogs end up on the streets. J.J.market is there for the vendors to make money. No other reason.

Many of the dogs come from puppy mills and I'm sure there's a lot of inbreeding too.

I was there today, checked out some puppies and decided to call the lady who has cats & dogs shown in the OUTLOOK section of the Bangkok Post on Sundays. She has many cats & dogs, all looking for a good home.

I would buy a pedigree dog from a registered breeder but would never buy one at J.J.

I am sure if you are seriously interested about pets welfare, you can pick up a Bkk Post (Sunday) and check for yourself.

You are obviously an animal lover and the lady could point you in the right direction if you're interested.

Regards.

Edited by ratcatcher

I should add that species that cannot be legally sold or captured are often on full view. There are occasional raids but business is back to normal shortly.

So if they are able to flout laws pertaining to protected species, I very much doubt they will adhere to guidelines on humane treatment of animals.

Amazing how people see things differently .

I was in JJ market this weekend also and i thought the livestock looked well .

Dogs cats birds all looked well fed and well cared for i also spent time on JJ where they sell the Koi Carp and every stall had a great set up . I have bought pets from JJ and will buy there again .

JB

Dogs cats birds all looked well fed and well cared for i also spent time on JJ where they sell the Koi Carp and every stall had a great set up . I have bought pets from JJ and will buy there again .

JB

I was there last week, the place was as bad as ever. Lot's of illegal wildlife, incl. birds that looked like they'd just hatched and probably wouldn't live. My sister was visiting, it was quite an opener for her. Even got to see the BIB handed a huge wad of cash!

Some of the pups had barely opened their eyes. There was lots of pitbull pups, that looked like the smaller 'game' variety. They were selling for 5K but the seller quickly offered a discount. This breed is fine with responsible owners, but the thought of these cute little pups being sold to Thais who don't know what they are getting is a worry.

It is amazing how ppl see things differently.

JB

I was there last week, the place was as bad as ever. Lot's of illegal wildlife, incl. birds that looked like they'd just hatched and probably wouldn't live. My sister was visiting, it was quite an opener for her. Even got to see the BIB handed a huge wad of cash!

Some of the pups had barely opened their eyes. There was lots of pitbull pups, that looked like the smaller 'game' variety. They were selling for 5K but the seller quickly offered a discount. This breed is fine with responsible owners, but the thought of these cute little pups being sold to Thais who don't know what they are getting is a worry.

It is amazing how ppl see things differently.

Illegal wildlife lmao have you ever visited the bird markets in Belguim ? Bullfinces Greenfinces siskins etc etc in small cages by the 100s , the livestock in JJ overall is in very good condition i have visited many times and i see the animals are well kept .

Imho People dont have to visit the livestock section in JJ if it upsets them that much , also this is Thailand who the hel_l are we to tell Thais what livestock they can keep and sell and how they keep them .

JB

this is Thailand who the hel_l are we to tell Thais what livestock they can keep and sell and how they keep them

ever heard of animal welfare? replace the word livestock with the word children.... would you still say "this is thailand"? anyone who sees some sort of abuse or neglect happening anywhere in the world has the right to speak up about it. some of the animals i saw there this past weekend were definitely mistreated.

Lot's of illegal wildlife, incl. birds that looked like they'd just hatched and probably wouldn't live.

the 'Gurney's Pitta' is one of the rarest birds in the world & was actually thought to be extinct until one turned up for sale in a cage here in the 80's..

the trapper was questioned as to where he found it & over time the species was re-discovered in Southern Thailand.

They are still very much an endangered & fully protected bird.. you wouldn't likely see one on open display in JJ today, but who knows what these traders may have hidden 'behind their curtains' :o