Truevisions / U B C Incompetence

JetsetBkk

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of getting U.B.C. platinum package for the sports and the sports alone.

What I want to know is is there a LOT of live sport ?

And if it rains , Im based in Chiang Mai, will it affect my pics ?

Does the rain stop the pics clompetely and is there a way around this ?

Thanks...

For sport,I think the platinum package is a good buy. I am a big football fan.....world football...not the yank kind!! To be able to watch all the EPL games,Euro games and internationals for the platinum price it would cost a hel_l of a lot more back in UK,with subs for Sky and Setanta thesedays.

I'm in Chiang Mai and I have never had a problem with Rain.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you press the Info button to display the Frequency/Sat Bar and the Signal Strength Bar they both should be solid RED at all times

If the installers that installed your dish aligned the system correctly these 2 red bars will remain full except in the heaviest rain storm. The lower one will drop to about one third strength with a rain heavy cloud in the Sat path but will come back to full in a few minutes as the cloud moves. If you screen says searching for signal the lower red bar will show all black and no signal present or no picture. As the cloud passes the red bar or signal will grow back to full again.

I just had a heavy cloud pass since I was typing this and no loss of signal

I had a bad omen from the outset. As the technician was installing my satellite, I asked for an extra 2-meter length of cable on the inside of the wall, so I could move the receiver about the room with some ease. The technician understood and agreed. Came back in the room 5 minutes later, and there sat the receiver--with about a half-meter of cable leading to the outside wall. Installation done.

I referred back to the conversation of 5 minutes' previous, and get the old, "Ah jahm mai dai!" (I forgot!)

It was all downhill from there--EXCEPT for the convenient pay by internet for the monthly bill.

Yes, same here. If you change the language to Thai (still english audio) it is normal levels.
Anyone else have a problem with Star World's sound level?

It appears to be about 20% of the level it was - almost inaudible until I turn the volume to maximum.

This started yesterday.

Sorry, Lordfoul - I quoted the wrong post earlier. I should've quoted yours (above) and said "Brilliant - thanks!"

Not a problem, I knew what you meant.

Yes, same here. If you change the language to Thai (still english audio) it is normal levels.
Anyone else have a problem with Star World's sound level?

It appears to be about 20% of the level it was - almost inaudible until I turn the volume to maximum.

This started yesterday.

Sorry, Lordfoul - I quoted the wrong post earlier. I should've quoted yours (above) and said "Brilliant - thanks!"

Al la carte packages for shared buildings (All the new buildings etc.) have had the channels removed. Paid for 1 year upfront for the alacarte package. After the channel change a few days ago.

The packages have disappeared despite most of our building subscribing to them for a year already. No refund from UBC and no notice of ceasing these packages.

Just p*ss poor service from this outfit. Their solution oh you can still get those packages if you put your own dish on your building. Of course the buildings say cannot put your own ubc dish....

Total <deleted> up by UBC as i would imagine the majority of their Alacarte subscriptions come from the higher end condo's that they have just completely cut off.....

Today had a problem with the receiver. UBC arranged quickly for an engineer, but when the engineer called from Buriram, they demanded a 500bt payment.

I have told UBC I will not pay this. It is their receiver that is at fault and I am renting it. Is this a scam by the Buriram agent?

UBC said maybe it is a long way to come. So F.....g what! They soon installed at the outset. If they are not prepared to give service they should stick to Bangkok

Told them to cancel the engineer and my subscription

Have now heard that the engineer will come tomorrow. No pay!

Today had a problem with the receiver. UBC arranged quickly for an engineer, but when the engineer called from Buriram, they demanded a 500bt payment.

I have told UBC I will not pay this. It is their receiver that is at fault and I am renting it. Is this a scam by the Buriram agent?

UBC said maybe it is a long way to come. So F.....g what! They soon installed at the outset. If they are not prepared to give service they should stick to Bangkok

Told them to cancel the engineer and my subscription

Have now heard that the engineer will come tomorrow. No pay!

Hi guys. . im new whit UBC . . just got it installd . . hmm i was hoping for same nice digital tv as in EU/USA bot hel_l no. . this Dstv looks like anlog signal with un-sharpen pixels. .

Is any one getting DVD like picture on UBC ?! . . maybe need reinstall the dish. . . .

Hi guys. . im new whit UBC . . just got it installd . . hmm i was hoping for same nice digital tv as in EU/USA bot hel_l no. . this Dstv looks like anlog signal with un-sharpen pixels. .

Is any one getting DVD like picture on UBC ?! . . maybe need reinstall the dish. . . .

UBC is the best TV picture you can get in Thailand as of today. Sorry.

Yes there are many problems with UBC.

Their price discrimination stinks.

Their programs are under average.

Service is mediocre.

Picture resolution and sound is marginal.

However the point is. I don't really have a choice. The cable in BKK (YTV) is horrible compared to UBC.

UBC is the best picture I can get.

Steaming isn't an option because my net service isn't fast enough.

The psi sat system is horrible. Nothing to watch unless you want to watch some Chinese or Indian channels.

However they do have some pros:

I usually watch HBO, Starzs movies, movie hits, x-zyte, AXN, discovery, NGC, History.

Their premier league coverage is awesome. Could have some more NFL games though.

For about 1,500 baht per month gold package I don't mind because I didn't have a choice.

I paid $50 per month while I was in the U.S. and didn't get many of the channels that I do now.

But I did get commercials while I was there. No commercials on UBC. I do miss the learning channel and NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX

If UBC reduced their prices by a couple hundred baht I think they would get many more subscribers.

I wired my whole house so every T.V. would have have UBC. UBC charges something like 400 baht per extra outlet on top of the first fee. However I had to buy a couple more boxes and and a splitter system so eventually I consider it to cost like 400 baht per month per television.

They do have packages where you can just buy a system straight up for like 3,000 baht no monthly fee. Its worth it compared to a regular antenna.

My wishes for UBC.

Bring the charges down like 20-30%

start introducing HDTV or digital boxes like higher quality sound and resolution.

Some channels that cable does have but UBC doesn't have. Like ASTV, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
If you have a computer at home and want to watch premiership football LIVE I suggest you download a TVU player from the internet FREE and you can watch the footy without having to pay 1500 for True/ubc. You also get a load of other channels that are not worse than some of the crap you get with UBC.

My Windows Defender has just reported this:

Category:

Potentially Unwanted Software

Description:

This program is dangerous and downloads other programs.

Advice:

Remove this software immediately.

Resources:

regkey:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\UNINSTALL\TVUPlayer

uninstall:

file:

C:\Program Files\TVU Player\uninst.exe

I'm going to get rid of it.

UBC is not digital and only broadcasts in analog signals.

UBC is not digital and only broadcasts in analog signals.

Sure about that ! ? . . DSTV is Digital and UBC send with DSTV.... so how can it be not Digital ??

The system is digital meaning the communication between the satellite and dish is digital.

But the actual content is not, its analog!

The lossy mpeg 2 PAL resolution signal is converted into an analog signal by the receiver's DAC.

The sound you hear is no better than an MP3 quality signal with analog connectors and picture as a standard RF signal. You might get better resolution, frame rate and less pixelation and sound from a regular antennae. Test it on Channel 3. A lot is lost from the compression and decompression of the signal.

Unless UBC makes upgrades to the system for HDTV and better audio like AC3 this is the best you can get.

Edited by mdechgan

If you have a computer at home and want to watch premiership football LIVE I suggest you download a TVU player from the internet FREE and you can watch the footy without having to pay 1500 for True/ubc. You also get a load of other channels that are not worse than some of the crap you get with UBC.

My Windows Defender has just reported this:

Category:

Potentially Unwanted Software

Description:

This program is dangerous and downloads other programs.

Advice:

Remove this software immediately.

Resources:

regkey:

uninstall:

file:

C:\Program Files\TVU Player\uninst.exe

I'm going to get rid of it.

With TVU as with other questionable items, I run them sandboxed. I originally read about Sandboxie in Database.

You can read about it below:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,...escription.html

UBC for 10 years and one frustration after another, so i switched to a pirate cable station,,RUGBY..even the SA schools, it all comes on a Supersport from SA..plus of course ALL the battles with NZ and OZ

Quite a pleasant surprise on the aljazeera news, no cynical hysterical shouting and babbling gabbling business and weather presenters.

They have recruited some of the top presenters, although unfortunately David Frost..who really should hang up his boots.

Another eye opener was to see FOX News..don't see much news, it seems like a TV National Enquirer. That it is NO 1 in USA did not surprise me.

Recently great inspiring doc about one legged footballers in Africa. (AL JAZEERA)

But...VERY EXPENSIVE a whole 300 baht per month, can have it stopped and started whenever.

Edited by desertrat

• 4 weeks later...

I did call UBC today after 3weeks of viewing ,, did tell then that come here ASAP and get your shitty equipment back. .

No use for me to have any kind of cabel/satelite when a download full HD movies and tv-series from the internet then using hdmi cabel to my lcd. .

Hopefully No one more is signing up for them ever again totaly crap tv .