Teach Me Teachers

Razr

Hi,

We'll soon be relocating to Bangkok (though Pattaya is also a possibility), and our primary consideration is decent, affordable schooling for our kids - an 11yo Thai girl in Prathom 5 with limited but functional English skills, and a 3.5yo girl who speaks fluent (well, as fluent as 3.5yo gets) English and Thai.

Ideally we'd be able to find a school that could cater for them both, which means a Bilingual school (pure English is *not* an option for our 11yo) that handles Kindergarten and Prathom at least. Mattayom is not required as there's a very strong possibility we will be relocating to the West within the next 2 years.

We've arguably been spoilt by inexpensive and good quality education in Chiangmai, so please don't shock us too much with pricing! As a guide, 100K per child/per term is simply out of the question.

I'm posting here because IMHO most expat parents here just aren't worth listening to when the topic of schooling comes up, and I really don't need people telling me if I can't spend 1M Baht year on education, my kids ought to just go to a public school or that I'm some sort of peasant.

From looking around the posts here it seems you teaching folk are somewhat hesitant to post names, so please do feel free to PM me with your thoughts.

TIA!

Hi,

We'll soon be relocating to Bangkok (though Pattaya is also a possibility), and our primary consideration is decent, affordable schooling for our kids - an 11yo Thai girl in Prathom 5 with limited but functional English skills, and a 3.5yo girl who speaks fluent (well, as fluent as 3.5yo gets) English and Thai.

Ideally we'd be able to find a school that could cater for them both, which means a Bilingual school (pure English is *not* an option for our 11yo) that handles Kindergarten and Prathom at least. Mattayom is not required as there's a very strong possibility we will be relocating to the West within the next 2 years.

We've arguably been spoilt by inexpensive and good quality education in Chiangmai, so please don't shock us too much with pricing! As a guide, 100K per child/per term is simply out of the question.

I'm posting here because IMHO most expat parents here just aren't worth listening to when the topic of schooling comes up, and I really don't need people telling me if I can't spend 1M Baht year on education, my kids ought to just go to a public school or that I'm some sort of peasant.

From looking around the posts here it seems you teaching folk are somewhat hesitant to post names, so please do feel free to PM me with your thoughts.

TIA!

You get what you pay for.

That said try Government EP and MEP schools.

Perhaps try asking the question over at www.ajarn.com as many of the EP and MEP teachers log on there.

In Pattaya, nothing recommended at the levels you quoted. In Rayong there is a government EP School. Asia University has a University Lab School from a University. Have no idea the cost.

Good luck.

Since you wrote, "I really don't need people telling me if I can't spend 1M Baht year on education, my kids ought to just go to a public school or that I'm some sort of peasant," it is difficult to give you advice. Generally, five or ten years in a Thai school will be worthless if you wish for your child to be treated as much more than the child of a peasant. Thai culture places more importance on family riches and power than upon competence. Your children will pass each grade even if they learn nothing. Seriously, work hard at finding the best education that you can afford. I have an odd gratefulness that my last four kids were not allowed to go beyond 9th grade because they failed.

I work with a bilingual program and the tuition fees are about 36,000 baht for KG1 (with Mini English Program and 50,000 baht per year for Kg 2-6. If that is of interest to you, feel free to PM me and I'll try and provide you with more information.

I have nothing to do with the admissions process per se, but I'll be glad to get the information for you.