100 Things You Didn't Know About Thailand

qwertz

thailand made the worlds biggest omelette as well as paht thai.

Phad Thai was created on the order of nationalist leader Field Marshall Plaek Pibulsongkram, who wanted a 100% Thai dish to compete with popular Chinese noodles.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Because of land subsidence Bangkok is sinking by a rate of 5-8 centimetres per year. Most experts agree that Bangkok will be submerged before the end of the century, but some experts believe it will be 20 years.

http://media.www.dailyvidette.com/media/st...r-3063763.shtml

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...,926247,00.html

http://www.mangroveactionproject.org/news/...archterm=metres

The actual name of Pattaya is the second longest name ever "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch" which translates as "you'd better sell up because the Welsh are coming!"

Edited by enyaw

Always wanted to know whether sala (thai open air covered pavillion) and sala (fruit) originate from the same word? They both have a kind of similar cover and name.

Fruit = ผลไม้ (polamai)

Pavilion = ศาลา (saalaa)

There is a word from Khmer origins , สลา (salaa) , which means Areca Nut, whatever that is.

I guess I need to illustrate the fruit I was referring to (it was not the generic name for fruits of any kind).

But thanks anyway

post-44875-1216280933_thumb.jpg

post-44875-1216280941_thumb.jpg

The 1958 novel "The Ugly American" by Burdick and Lederer was about the construction of a highway ("Freedom Road") in the fictional south-east Asian country of Sarkhan. Many drew a parallel between the book and the construction of the Friendship Highway in Thailand. The 1963 movie of the same name starring Marlon Brando was filmed in Thailand and the part of the Prime Minister of Sarkhan was played by M.R. Kukrit Pramoj. In 1975, he became the 13th Prime Minister of Thailand.

Life imitating art?

Always wanted to know whether sala (thai open air covered pavillion) and sala (fruit) originate from the same word? They both have a kind of similar cover and name.

Fruit = ผลไม้ (polamai)

Pavilion = ศาลา (saalaa)

There is a word from Khmer origins , สลา (salaa) , which means Areca Nut, whatever that is.

I guess I need to illustrate the fruit I was referring to (it was not the generic name for fruits of any kind).

But thanks anyway

That fruit is called Ra Gahm ระกำ and comes from the Salak Palm(the common name for the tree). You will find it written in thai that it comes from the Ra Gahm Tree ต้นระกำ (Dtohn Ra Gahm).

I dont know if the "salak" in the common name "salak palm" is of thai language origins, but it is definately not a word I know of.

Pavilion = ศาลา (saalaa)

That fruit is called Ra Gahm ระกำ and comes from the Salak Palm(the common name for the tree). You will find it written in thai that it comes from the Ra Gahm Tree ต้นระกำ (Dtohn Ra Gahm).

I dont know if the "salak" in the common name "salak palm" is of thai language origins, but it is definately not a word I know of.

Ra Gahm is a snake fruit, isn't it. (picture: http://www.pharm.chula.ac.th/vichien/morph...ruit/ragum.jpg)

Sala is same same but different (picture: http://www.pharm.chula.ac.th/vichien/morph...fruit/sala.jpg)

Ok, I have found the name in Thai - สละ, it does look different from the script for pavillion. Thanks!

My wife gave me an explanation to the "Kee Nok" thing.

So we all know it means bird shit.......... Bird shit dropped from airplanes and fall on Thailand.

Bit it runs deeper than that because what does Bird shit usually contain? Seeds! And the smallest seed can grow into a Tree and originally "Kee Nok' means anybody who only distributes their wealth to those beneath their branches (Family).

The term has however been conveniently adapted to any foreigner that does not splash the cash to the general public.

There are many terms all written and pronounced differently that sound similarish

งก (ngok) stingy

นก (nok) bird

งอก(ngaawk) to sprout,grow

there are also a couple more too, but not relevant in this context.

ขี้งอก (kee ngaawk), "to sprout from excerement/dung" makes more sense than ขี้นก (kee nok) "bird excrement -> inferior/worthless" to fit your family branch analogy.

I've already written about ขี้นก(kee nok) and ฝรั่งงก(farang ngok) in a previous post.

Only about 1 % of farang in Thailand can speak the language well.

Usually people hear "farang kee ngok" not "farang kee nok" - there is a big difference. One is not too insulting as it means you are stingy. The other is usually used to describe the hippy types on Khao San Road - means little money and scruffy.

They are NOT calling you bird shit!!!!!!!!!!!!

'farang kee nok" is a type of guava tree that grows where you would not expect it. It grows maybe in the middle of a mango orchard as the seed has been transferred by birds eating the seeds and then shitting.

Some Thais will say it when they see a farang upcountry, where they would not be expected.

I've also heard someone asy that it means a farang without any money, as the farang kee nok fruit has very little meat - ie a poor man's guava.

Strange as when my first daughter was born in bamrunrad hospital, I went to the toilets and two <deleted> walked in and said "farang kee nok". It's not exactly cheap! I was wearing my work suit, and a good one too. When I challenged them they refused to admit that they said it(what a surprise).

Thailand has a history tha dates back thousands of years

Not really it was originally Siam, in the 14 th century it became Thailand, which as I understand translates roughly to Land of the Free.

Ask a Thai sometimes where Siam is very few know

Pavilion = ศาลา (saalaa)

Ra Gahm is a snake fruit, isn't it. (picture: http://www.pharm.chula.ac.th/vichien/morph...ruit/ragum.jpg)

Sala is same same but different (picture: http://www.pharm.chula.ac.th/vichien/morph...fruit/sala.jpg)

Ok, I have found the name in Thai - สละ, it does look different from the script for pavillion. Thanks!

ต้นสละ(dtohn sala) is snake palm tree , I think ระกำ(ra gahm) is the fruit of the snake palm tree.

My wife gave me an explanation to the "Kee Nok" thing.

So we all know it means bird shit.......... Bird shit dropped from airplanes and fall on Thailand.

Bit it runs deeper than that because what does Bird shit usually contain? Seeds! And the smallest seed can grow into a Tree and originally "Kee Nok' means anybody who only distributes their wealth to those beneath their branches (Family).

The term has however been conveniently adapted to any foreigner that does not splash the cash to the general public.

There are many terms all written and pronounced differently that sound similarish

งก (ngok) stingy

นก (nok) bird

งอก(ngaawk) to sprout,grow

there are also a couple more too, but not relevant in this context.

ขี้งอก (kee ngaawk), "to sprout from excerement/dung" makes more sense than ขี้นก (kee nok) "bird excrement -> inferior/worthless" to fit your family branch analogy.

I've already written about ขี้นก(kee nok) and ฝรั่งงก(farang ngok) in a previous post.

Only about 1 % of farang in Thailand can speak the language well.

I'd say less than 1% of non-native thai speakers of the thai language in thailand can speak well, because to speak it/understand it correctly and accurately you have to be able to read/write...and very few go to this length.

Pavilion = ศาลา (saalaa)

ต้นสละ(dtohn sala) is snake palm tree , I think ระกำ(ra gahm) is the fruit of the snake palm tree.

Interesting - ใจไม้ไส้ระกำ 'jai mai sai ra gahm'means unfeeling or not sympathetic, I wonder what, if any, the connection is?

Good thread.

Probably covered but:

Thailand has never been colonised by another country (Possibly the only country that can boast that).

Thailand was never officially involved in WWII????

So the the chinese immigrants dont own or control Industry,ecomomic's or politics of Thailand?

Thailand did not resist the japanese during WW11 and were a puppet of japan at the time and if my histroy serves me correcty gained control of land owned by neigbouring countries as a reward for their capitulation.

As a consequence they signed the Amity Treaty with the US rather than end up like the Phillipines.

Roy gsd

Pavilion = ศาลา (saalaa)

Interesting - ใจไม้ไส้ระกำ 'jai mai sai ra gahm'means unfeeling or not sympathetic, I wonder what, if any, the connection is?

hmmm..dunno..go eat some ra gahm and tell me how your heart feels with and without the ra gahm :o

In Phetchabun, is the worlds second largest producer and exporter of natural silk. and by the way a big supplier of cooked silk worms for that tasty after drink snacks along side the beetles on the trolleys in the market.

(Cooked during the prep to unwind the cocoons) You can visit the factory its very interesting to see, Now i know why slant eyes are helpful! hehe

Ask a Thai sometimes where Siam is very few know

That's not true - every Thai knows where Siam is. You probably say it the way it sounds in English.

I'll give you that one since my accent is terrible, but I have never gotten an asnwer from any Thai I have asked and that is true. That my friend is the truth I know :o

The largest population of expats in Thailand are Japanese.

The largest foreign born Thai population resides in California.

India has probably had the most cultural influence on Thailand. Although most of it is fairly superficial and remnants of ancient culture.

Chinese-Thais have been here for several generations and are pretty much thoroughly "thai" in everything they do except work and business.

Most Chinese-Thais originated from Southern China and the dialect they spoke was hakka or hokien and are pretty closely related to the Chinese from Singapore and Taiwanese who originated from that area as well.

Most of those Honda motorbikes are made in Thailand.

The current Thai King was born in the U.S. so that gives him defacto U.S. citizenship but I think he/they renounced it a long time ago.

Edited by wintermute

Complete rubbish, you simply can't say it properly.

Ok congradulations you have went one step to far. Maybe I can't pronounce it properly but my Thai wife darn sure can and still they didn't know it. Thailand is not made up of only well educated people here is Issan the average person gets a 6th grade education. That doesn't leave a whole lot of room for history lessons. Not saying they are not intelligent they simply have not been given the information.

Now first time through guy saying I was not being truthful was at least respectful.

So I guess you know what you can do with rubbish hot shot.

So have your say you won't here from me about it I have said what I needed to say and I gave up along time ago trying to communicate with idiots.

Most Chinese-Thais originated from Southern China and the dialect they spoke was hakka or hokien and are pretty closely related to the Chinese from Singapore and Taiwanese who originated from that area as well.

For the most part true but not exactly correct. If you ask the average Thai-Chinese you'll find that most of their ancestors (and maybe even some living relatives still) speak the Teochew (Chaozhou) dialect. Teochew is particularly prevalent in Yaowarat. You are correct that there are still many original Hokkien and Hakka speakers and that these two dialects are very common in Singapore even though the Singapore government has instituted a policy of teaching Mandarin in schools these days to standardize the chinese language there.