The Amazing Attractions Of Chiang Mai

WinnieTheKhwai

Tell you what. I'm probably like many people here. I live in a moo ban somewhere 3-10K out of town in a nice house that's excellent value for money, shop at whatever supermarket is closest by on my particular road out of town (Big C in my case), I sometimes go into town for some restaurants or bars and am generally happy with life.

Some of the most interesting topics on this forum I thought were about the (tourist) attractions of Chiang Mai, and there not really being any that are there massively in front of you in the way that the Gyza pyramid or the Colosseum is right there in front of you, the Great Barrier Reef is right there below you or the Sixteenth Chapel paintings are right there above you.

But then recently I had to go to Bangkok for a 2 hour meeting. Usually I would stay in Bangkok one night and do what people seem to do best in Bangkok: burn through wads of cash. This time though I wanted everything different; so fly to Bangkok and back the same day, stay in Chiang Mai the night before and do it budget traveller style; find a cheapo guesthouse and spend the evening & night in town.

It really blew me away.

I don't think any of what I experienced would transfer well to a written forum post, the short version is that I stumbled upon a wooden guesthouse somewhere in the old town that cost 200 baht a night which I negotiated down to 150, went for a drink nearby where I normally don't really hang out. Unlike my actual travelling days I now was able to leverage some of the wisdom gained over the years, specifically to take it easy on the liquor after the first bucket when having to get up early the next morning.. Woke up early (EARLY!) and for the first time in many years experienced 'down town old city' early am.. It's amazing. The weather was cool, the birds chirping, walking through all the little quiet lanes (Chiang Mai must have the most peaceful old center of any town anywhere), the monks & people around the temples, sitting down at some cart selling those fried donut thingies, soy milk and coffee, chatted with the people there and it all was all simply stunning. ... ...

Like I said I can't transfer this into a forum post and won't answer any question on what the attraction is to Chiang Mai.. But I would recommend anyone like me to do the same thing sometime; take a day off, tell the wife & kids you need to go on a business trip or visa run but instead just grab a room somewhere in the old town and take it all in.

I love this city.

and what if your wife decides to do the same thing??? since you are "out of town". what if you meet her at that cheapo guesthouse? or walking through the lonely lanes of chiang mai early in the morning? or she decides to donate food to the monks early in the morning?

and the other thing. u want me to lie to my wife and kids?

Get your message though :o glad to hear from another admirer of chiangmai.

and the other thing. u want me to lie to my wife and kids?

Not at all, I'm sorry if that part was distracting from the overall post; I am suggesting however to do it by yourself, and choose the most convenient method of your choosing to notify anyone else who may need to be notified. :o

take it easy on the liquor after the first bucket when having to get up early the next morning..

You drink liquor by the bucket? Don't tell your wife about that either. But you may want to mention it to your doctor next time you have a check-up. :o

I love the old city in the early morning. Used to see it every day a few years ago.

Can't help but feel it might be a romantic thing to do with your wife - If you can persuade her to get up in the morning that is!

Thanks!
You drink liquor by the bucket? Don't tell your wife about that either.

I'm a buffalo, remember? :o But anyway, youknow, 'bucket'? liquor, red bull, coke, straws? It's a traveller thing. :D

The bucket thing I'm not too sure about, but I agree that the early morning feel of a new day is great. Since I live in the city I get to see it quite regularly, not by getting up early, but staying up a little bit later!!

I lived here a good few years before I got to see the monks collecting alms. I'd seen the nice pictures in the guide books but not witnessed it myself. Only after a later than usual night (Champions league footy) did I see it for myself. I then realised that I'd been missing an impressive sight simply because I'd been going to bed too early. :D

I often stay up the extra hour now just to experience the early morning buzz.

The bucket thing I'm not too sure about, but I agree that the early morning feel of a new day is great. Since I live in the city I get to see it quite regularly, not by getting up early, but staying up a little bit later!!

I lived here a good few years before I got to see the monks collecting alms. I'd seen the nice pictures in the guide books but not witnessed it myself. Only after a later than usual night (Champions league footy) did I see it for myself. I then realised that I'd been missing an impressive sight simply because I'd been going to bed too early. :o

I often stay up the extra hour now just to experience the early morning buzz.

Mr Kevunt, having known you for as many years as I have (20ish?) I am totally surprised that until recently you had not experienced early morning Chiang Mai.

I personally find it far more intriguing to be in the countryside at sunrise. In my very young daze Uncle Charlie and I would ride around the sheep on horseback during lambing season to assist any ewes in distress. Nothing smells better than rural areas in the early hours (apart from a few exceptions).

Tell you what. I'm probably like many people here. I live in a moo ban somewhere 3-10K out of town in a nice house that's excellent value for money, shop at whatever supermarket is closest by on my particular road out of town (Big C in my case), I sometimes go into town for some restaurants or bars and am generally happy with life.

Some of the most interesting topics on this forum I thought were about the (tourist) attractions of Chiang Mai, and there not really being any that are there massively in front of you in the way that the Gyza pyramid or the Colosseum is right there in front of you, the Great Barrier Reef is right there below you or the Sixteenth Chapel paintings are right there above you.

But then recently I had to go to Bangkok for a 2 hour meeting. Usually I would stay in Bangkok one night and do what people seem to do best in Bangkok: burn through wads of cash. This time though I wanted everything different; so fly to Bangkok and back the same day, stay in Chiang Mai the night before and do it budget traveller style; find a cheapo guesthouse and spend the evening & night in town.

It really blew me away.

I don't think any of what I experienced would transfer well to a written forum post, the short version is that I stumbled upon a wooden guesthouse somewhere in the old town that cost 200 baht a night which I negotiated down to 150, went for a drink nearby where I normally don't really hang out. Unlike my actual travelling days I now was able to leverage some of the wisdom gained over the years, specifically to take it easy on the liquor after the first bucket when having to get up early the next morning.. Woke up early (EARLY!) and for the first time in many years experienced 'down town old city' early am.. It's amazing. The weather was cool, the birds chirping, walking through all the little quiet lanes (Chiang Mai must have the most peaceful old center of any town anywhere), the monks & people around the temples, sitting down at some cart selling those fried donut thingies, soy milk and coffee, chatted with the people there and it all was all simply stunning. ... ...

Like I said I can't transfer this into a forum post and won't answer any question on what the attraction is to Chiang Mai.. But I would recommend anyone like me to do the same thing sometime; take a day off, tell the wife & kids you need to go on a business trip or visa run but instead just grab a room somewhere in the old town and take it all in.

I love this city.

Thanks for the post. Welcome to your hometown. You found the real Chiang Mai. It is called a city but it is a misnomer. It is a big college town in my western eyes. CM is one of the best walking cities in the world.

Something new to see on every corner. The small soi's offer unlimited adventure and experience. Hard to believe you live so close yet so far away.

I have lived in town for 2 years

and still discover new treasures everyday. The honest warmth

of the local Thais made me fall in love with CM. and settle here. I found the "Amazing Thiland" in this city and the countryside. No, I do not work for TAT :o Just nice to see someone post a positive note for a change.

Sawadee Kup.

Thanks for a nice post.

It is easy to fall into a routine even when living in this great place and I think the main point you have made is to change the routine occasionally and you will discover (or rediscover) something you like.

I experience the same feeling at dawn, smelling the clean cool jasmine scented air, greet my fellow early morning friends who are full of purpose and enterprise as they stride forward!

'Course I'm just leaving Spicy as this transpires....and my early morning friends are going to work, bright and chipper with the promise of a new day... :o

Seriously, I did enjoy your post, and your premise....which is that Chiang Mai is a marvelous place to be.

I concur whole-heartedly.

I love this town, smoke and all.

Mr Kevunt, having known you for as many years as I have (20ish?) I am totally surprised that until recently you had not experienced early morning Chiang Mai.

I personally find it far more intriguing to be in the countryside at sunrise. In my very young daze Uncle Charlie and I would ride around the sheep on horseback during lambing season to assist any ewes in distress. Nothing smells better than rural areas in the early hours (apart from a few exceptions).

Mr BB

I was aghast at first reading this post,but it is a small vision/dyslectic problem I have sometimes.

"In my younger daze Uncle charlie and I would ride around on the sheep during foaling season to assist you's in distress"

For a minute I was under the impression you have New Zealand forebears.

But I do recall the bitterly cold winter winds on the central Victoria plains during lambing season and the smell never changed until there was a stiff southerly.

Fortunately most residents of this town will never have that experience. :o

Nice post.

A friend has told me about doing the early morning "tour". I have been here nearly 2 year and haven't done it yet but you have inspired me. I ride a bicycle to get around but usually ride at close to moto speeds and miss a lot of the eye catching sites. I think I'll ride the streets of CM at a slower pace so I can enjoy the sounds and sights (sites) that is CM.