Are You Airport Cool.

Moonrakers

Just returned from a Penang visa run, and once again I noted the same observation as so many times before.

When in the departure lounge and the flight is announced as boarding, the vast majority stand up and join a queue as long as Sukhumvit road to get on the plane. Whereas a cool select few such as myself take the "Now boarding" notification as a que to grab a coffee, have a cigarette, go to the bathroom and then come back, sit down and join the end of the queue when it is gone.

Why do the "Non-cool" people do this??? It doesn't get them on the plane any quicker!

I am thankful though for the non-cool majority because if every body was cool then I would no longer stand out as cool myself.

So well, are you a cool flyer, or do you queue like a sheep?

Just returned from a Penang visa run, and once again I noted the same observation as so many times before.

When in the departure lounge and the flight is announced as boarding, the vast majority stand up and join a queue as long as Sukhumvit road to get on the plane. Whereas a cool select few such as myself take the "Now boarding" notification as a que to grab a coffee, have a cigarette, go to the bathroom and then come back, sit down and join the end of the queue when it is gone.

Why do the "Non-cool" people do this??? It doesn't get them on the plane any quicker!

I am thankful though for the non-cool majority because if every body was cool then I would no longer stand out as cool myself.

Earlier on board the aircraft gives you a lot more options for stowing your handcarry bag(s), the late borders might have to stick theirs in the way rear while they're sitting upfront.

As to the other comment about "arriving at the same time," not really correct, the 1st class folks do arrive a tad earlier since they're in the front of the plane, and depending on the airline, are allowed to get off before the folks in cattle class, such as me....

Mac

Earlier on board the aircraft gives you a lot more options for stowing your handcarry bag(s), the late borders might have to stick theirs in the way rear while they're sitting upfront.

As to the other comment about "arriving at the same time," not really correct, the 1st class folks do arrive a tad earlier since they're in the front of the plane, and depending on the airline, are allowed to get off before the folks in cattle class, such as me....

Mac

I should have mentioned that this was an Air Asia flight, with only one "class". I have also NEVER had to stow my hand luggage far from my seat.

Nice try sheep. :o:D

I usually get to the gate a little before the flight is supposed to start boarding, then go stand near the door (most of the seats are usually filled by then anyways). Then, when they start boarding, I whip out my business class stub and (on most decent airlines) start off down the walkway while the cattle, er, economy class passengers stand in a gaggle.

And I've seen it many times, where late arrivals in economy end up with their bags at the opposite end of the plane from where they are sitting. That would really suck on arrival, as you'd pretty much be stuck until everyone gets off the plane, so you can get to the back to get your bag and get off. Then, by the time you arrive at Immigration, you are at the back of the line, and most of the people ahead of you won't have filled out their Arrival cards properly, and will have forgotten which pocket of which bag they stashed their passport in and so on. :o

Seems odd at times, with the restrictions on how much you are allowed to carry on, how some people seem to be able to fill an entire luggage rack by themselves, leaving the other people in that row to try and squeeze their bags in elsewhere.

Mac

sometimes.....but I don't care where my bags are.

One advantage might be that strategic game if there are not many people on the flight.

Where do I place me that I get as much place as possible later on. But not sure if that happens to any other flights than these with Austrian people (who also :o after landing)

Mac

I go cattle class, but I get off in my own time time rather than standing on arrival with the rest of the herd. Therefore I consider myself to be the Bull :o .

Have to largely agree with OP, except for the bit about going for a smoke... each to their own... :o

Having travelled Air Asia once, I think leaving it till the last minute is a double edged sword. On the one hand it might be better to miss the flight altogether... Leaving your fate in a higher power's hands as to whether you should make it or not = a good move for the superstitious living in Thailand. On the other hand, to be honest I didn't appreciate the free seating and sitting next to some obese sweaty guy while someone else gets to sit and play with my lovely wife and daughter a few rows away = bad move ... just because we were one of the last to board and didn't realise that it was a free seating, rugby scrum if you want to sit with your family in sub-cattle class with no meals... :D

[Edit: Fully recommend Air Asia if you are travelling with your Thai in-laws...That way you're happy if you miss the plane by being late or you come late and "can't" sit with them]

On long haul flights which are not full, it can be useful to get on reasonably early, observe the seating arrangements and then sit in the wrong seat in a block of 4 which looks like it might be vacant. If lucky you get a row of 4 to yourself. If unlucky you end up back in your correct seat, sat with that same sweaty obese guy for the domestic Air Asiaflight... only this time on Lufthansa via Germany... :D This row of 4 trick was taught to me by ar Iranian... :D .

The Iranian guy also recommended if you get on with your wife, that you ask for an aisle and a row seat in a row of 3... very few people won't swap a middle seat for an aisle or a window so you will end up sitting together anyway... Bad luck if you get the fat obese guy in the middle who can't move but spills over in to both seats though... :D

On a decent airline (not Air Asia, Jet (Death?) Star or Garuda, Mempati, Sempati or any other national airline of Indonesia), taking a child allows you to take OPs plan to new limits. In fact it's often worth just picking a child up from the queue and pretending they are yours... :D . With the exception of a few of the Arab airlines, very few decent ones will allow a family to be split up... and you've always got the option to request one of the seats with a baby basket in case you get sat next to the fat obese sweaty guy hanging over your seat for several hours. :D

BTW I trust OP is not double bluffing so innocents like me always get the obese sweaty guy and he gets on early to sit and play next to my wife and daughter... B) Or maybe that fat obese sweaty man was actually his rather butch foreign wife in which case you could forgive him... :D

Edited by AFKAFSinLOS

I usually get to the gate a little before the flight is supposed to start boarding, then go stand near the door (most of the seats are usually filled by then anyways). Then, when they start boarding, I whip out my business class stub and (on most decent airlines) start off down the walkway while the cattle, er, economy class passengers stand in a gaggle.

And I've seen it many times, where late arrivals in economy end up with their bags at the opposite end of the plane from where they are sitting. That would really suck on arrival, as you'd pretty much be stuck until everyone gets off the plane, so you can get to the back to get your bag and get off. Then, by the time you arrive at Immigration, you are at the back of the line, and most of the people ahead of you won't have filled out their Arrival cards properly, and will have forgotten which pocket of which bag they stashed their passport in and so on. :o

Seems odd at times, with the restrictions on how much you are allowed to carry on, how some people seem to be able to fill an entire luggage rack by themselves, leaving the other people in that row to try and squeeze their bags in elsewhere.

I've often wondered whether they shouldn't charge excess weight based on weight of passenger + weight of luggage combined. Qatar airlines are quite strict on luggage allowances... :D

I find myself wondering why should someone weighing at least 3 times what my wife weighs, taking up their own seat and half of the two next to them, get the same luggage allowance as us? What's worse is when that person checks in just before you do, so you know they'll be sharing half your seats. Then to top it all the airline tries and charges you a 10kg excess luggage charge just because you're carrying a few extra kilos XMas presents back to Thailand with your kids, and are the only people on the plane who have honestly stuck to the one piece of hand luggage rule... :D

Maybe they don’t smoke, drink coffee. Or need to use the bathroom. If you want to be super cool like me. Just miss the flight altogether, its cool on the credit card too=)

Maybe they don't smoke, drink coffee. Or need to use the bathroom. If you want to be super cool like me. Just miss the flight altogether, its cool on the credit card too=)

Reasons for missing the flights. im scared to fly :o

I stand out like a non cool sheep, I try to remain cool (because i am cool by nature) but when I hear the "Boarding" announcment I incomprehensivley lose my cool and rapidly try to get well up in the queue only then when I'm being hustled and bustled do I realize my folly, but ahoy it is all way too late even though the voice on the tannoy is now allowing the classes and the families with kids on, I cannot sit back down and lose further places. I will try harder next time. TT :o

it gets them on 'quicker' than you, which to them may be cool..

to be totally cool you'd have to be the very last one on the plane. If you were second to last, you'd be a square.. the guy after you would be cool..

so now we have just 2 remaining guys (or gals) sitting in the departure lounge both contesting for the honour of being coolest..

who gets up first ?

do you get up, make for the gate (glancing over your shoulder to see if he's following you) then before reaching the counter, squat down pretending to tie your shoelace forcing the other guy to pass you ?

if you do this.. and then he suddenly pretends to answer his mobile phone.. what then ??

resort to rummaging around your wallet pretending to look for the 'mislaid' boarding ticket ?

tik.. tok.. tik.. tok.. the planes about to leave.. in the name cool, who knowingly gives in ??

should you bite the dust and go through together ?? but what if he's just 1 step behind you.. you've lost, he's cool you're not..

you could sit back down and refuse to get on, letting him & the plane leave without you !! but that wouldn't be cool....

Well, up to a certain level i am very airport cool :D . But after landing i am even better at being aircraft cool, almost always the last one to leave...Does that count for total coolness too?? :o

Well, up to a certain level i am very airport cool :D . But after landing i am even better at being aircraft cool, almost always the last one to leave...Does that count for total coolness too?? :o

no, i think the pilot is probably cooler.. :D

Never managed to be the last to board a plane, will try better next time.

What baffles me is when landed, often before final stop at gate and engine shut down the crowd unbuckle their seat belts, rush for their stuff above their heads and push towards the closed doors to wait for 15 minutes for their luggage to arrive. OK, a few need a leak, a few need to resume their bad smoking habit, a few have carry-on luggage and hit the taxi before the others , but still, I remain relaxed in my seat until the crowd moves to the doors :o

Yeah I'm cool just like the Fonz (Except I don't hang out in toilets with other men :D )

I tend to hold off till the end - the less time I spend trapped in the plane the better. The only exception is if I have largish items I want to fit in the overhead compartments. In this scenario I might join the queue slightly earlier (while maintaining my coolness of course). :o

Look, unless you have a Boeing Business Jet or a Custom Airbus A380....you aint cool no matter how you spin it :o

or a Boeing 707-138B, reg N707JT 'Jett Clipper Ella'

John Travlota would be cool even if he flew a pram !

Look, unless you have a Boeing Business Jet or a Custom Airbus A380....you aint cool no matter how you spin it :o

or a Boeing 707-138B, reg N707JT 'Jett Clipper Ella'

John Travlota would be cool even if he flew a pram !

dig this...

travoltahome.jpg

not bad parked in your back yard eh...

I have to admit I go to the airport, check in, get through passport control, grab a couple of beers, go to the gate when the plane is boarding and get on the plane.

The concept of being "cool" or not doesn't enter my head unless the aircon is not performing then, in the tropics, I'm definately not cool.

btw I thought the term "cool" was very 1960's, the Beatles, "I'm backing Britain", Harold Wilson, propellor driven aircraft etc. Or is it down to the modern love of anything retro? You know "we can't think of anything new so we'll dig up something old and forgotten".

Dig it man? :o

First of all: Trying to be cool is very uncool, it is the opposite...spoken in the language of the OP...

Secondly, to avoid the check in crowd is nothing new or special. I have done that since years and I have never thought about that. That's normal. Most of the crowd knows that too, but they do not care.

Before I have been always the first at the passportcheck after arrival for practical reasons, but now I take it more easy...

Refrain from food on long haul night flights...that's cool...for your stomach and for a better sleep.

Why do the "Non-cool" people do this???

I really don’t think a lack of coolness is a factor in the your observation. Most passengers observed may not fly as frequently as the you, so they are unfamiliar with boarding procedures. Factor in language issues, poor announcements and a desire to follow the airlines’ instructions and you see people queuing.

I have this impression that FD is an efficient LCC with a requirement for short turns so just assumed they utilized an efficient boarding scheme, with multiple zones, boarding from the rear, etc. If so the cool thing would be to board with your group.

Of course anyone who has to tell us how cool they are, especially with inane observations, obviously isn’t.

if flying the likes of Air Asia then i try to get on quick cos you get a better seat for getting off quickly.

On normal airlines even when flying economy i just use the business lane as i have frequent flyer for the likes of Cathay etc, however even if you dont the chances of them telling you to go back join the economy q is limited especially if you are a farang as they dont want to argue!