Buddhist Lent Day Designated As Thailand’s "no Alcohol Day"

george

Buddhist Lent Day Designated as Thailand’s “No Alcohol Day”

Buddhist Lent Day, known among Thais as Khao Phansa, has been designated as Thailand’s “No Alcohol Day.”

The decision was made by the Cabinet, during its meeting on July 8, following a proposal by the civic sector network, which submitted a letter to the Government on July 7.

The letter states that it is a traditional practice by many people in Thai society to declare their intention not to have alcoholic drinks in observance of the Buddhist Lent.

Buddhist Lent Day marks the start of the three-month Buddhist Rains Retreat, usually between July and October. The request by the network for the Government to declare a No Alcohol Day is to promote the good traditional practice, in the same manner as the observance of “No Tobacco Day.”

The beginning of the Buddhist Lent falls on the first day of the waning moon of the eighth lunar month. This year, it falls on July 18, when several religious activities are held to mark this holy day. Refraining from drinking alcohol is considered a worthy act, not only for keeping people in good health, but also in the observance of Buddhist principles. One of the five precepts in Buddhism is to abstain from intoxicating drinks, which are a primary cause of carelessness and anti-social behavior.

A campaign to encourage people to refrain from drinking alcohol during the Buddhist Lent has been carried out since 2003. A study indicates that the campaign, conducted between 2005 and 2007, was successful in raising public awareness of alcohol abuse. More and more people were found to join the campaign during the Buddhist Lent and they voiced their support for the proclamation of “National Anti-Alcohol Day.”

According to an ABAC Poll conducted in 2006, most people, 88.6 percent, were in favor of the designation of a No Alcohol Day, and 61.6 percent were of the opinion the first day of Buddhist Lent should be proclaimed No Alcohol Day. The anti-alcohol campaign has received a positive response from the general public.

The civic sector network quoted a survey that Thailand ranks fifth among the largest alcohol consuming countries in the world. Also, the number of alcohol drinkers among young people, aged 15 and 19, is on the rise in the country.

Heavy drinkers may suffer from serious health problems, such as heart disease, abnormal blood circulation, and paralysis. They may become emotionally unstable, affecting their ability to make decisions and observe moral conduct. More than 50 percent of road accidents are caused by drunk driving, and many cases of violence in the home and other crimes are also caused by intoxicating drinks.

Thailand’s Alcohol Control Act, which came into force in February 2008, seeks to ban liquor advertising and restrict the sale of alcohol in or near temples, public parks, government offices, and schools. The proclamation of No Alcohol Day is also in line with the alcohol control law.

-- Source: PRD

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the goverment in thailand really amuses me one day they do some thing really stupid the next they do some thing really responceable

if only they could get it right all the time (but if that happened every one would want to live here)

so what is the best

The letter states that it is a traditional practice by many people in Thai society to declare their intention not to have alcoholic drinks in observance of the Buddhist Lent.

Then let people state their intention and let the rest drink what they want.

Buddhist Lent Day Designated as Thailand’s “No Alcohol Day”

Buddhist Lent Day, known among Thais as Khao Phansa, has been designated as Thailand’s “No Alcohol Day.”

The decision was made by the Cabinet, during its meeting on July 8, following a proposal by the civic sector network, which submitted a letter to the Government on July 7. Is it so difficult to look 12 months ahead at events that occur annually? I guess not.

If the government made a decision on July 8, why did the cops not know what the rules were until July 15?? :o

I know this goes to planning issues, but surely they can predict with a certain amount of accuracy when Khao Phansa will be and make a decision then advertise to all affected folk more than 2 days in advance. The travel industry would like the information so they can advise their customers and .........

According to an ABAC Poll conducted in 2006, most people, 88.6 percent, were in favor of the designation of a No Alcohol Day, and 61.6 percent were of the opinion the first day of Buddhist Lent should be proclaimed No Alcohol Day. The anti-alcohol campaign has received a positive response from the general public.

Plainly Thai Visa contributers were not included in the poll.

Whi is going to pipe up and shout, "they can't do this, it's against the new constitution!"

Must go and check if the 7/11 is going to sell me my daily ration, otherwise there is always the Chinese store around the corner.

Not that it matters to me because I can get beer/alcohol at about 5 places within a 3 minute drive from my house on any day, holiday or not, but I don't think Buddha would be against anyone having a drink or two...moderation is the key from what I gather. So why do these mere humans use his name to get their own puritanical ways?

What a shame, I don't fly to Thailand until the 26th so I'll miss all the "fun".

I'll just have to stay here in this communist state where I can drink whenever I want to.

Honestly I see no problem with them declaring Buddhist Lent day alcohol free if that's what they want but they should ultimately let the people decide whether they go along with it or not. They also should allow hotels, restaurants and bars dependant on the tourist trade to decide whether to refuse to serve alcohol or not according to the wishes of the owner. I also wouldn't mind but this decree will only ever be applied to the hotels, restaurants and bars frequented, in the main, by tourists and expats. All the little local mom'n'pop stores will carry on regardless and I bet all the police/army run gambling dens will continue to serve.

But no, this present administation, I'll not call them a government they don't deserve the title, just loves to tackle the little meaningless issues where they can puff their little chests out and look important. It's probably better that way though as they can't even handle the simpler stuff without provoking a bit of cross border sabre rattling.

So why do these mere humans use his name................

The lord Buddha was a human being and never sought to elevate himself above any living thing.

Precisely what he would make of this I'm not sure. He was against intoxicants but would he want his wishes pushed onto others? I personally think not.

There appears to be some considerable confusion here - though of course this isnt wholly surprising as this edict comes from the Government.

The Phuket Gazette (http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.asp) in an article dated July 14th state that this 'ban' is actually a voluntary request. They state, "Kathu Police Superintendent Col Grissak Songmoonnak told the Gazette, “It is not illegal for bars to sell alcohol, but like other [police] superintendents around the island, I have received an official letter from the local District Chief asking the police to try to ensure that alcohol is not sold on both days.”

So - it's not a ban, but a voluntary request. It's my experience, particularly here in Phuket, that a lot of the bars will be open in the main tourist areas. Certain bars, in none touristy areas for example, will take the opportunity to give their staff a day off - as it's low season and not busy anyway - so no huge loss of revenue - though of course the bar owners will be able to claim merit and be just that little bit closer to nirvana.

:D What in the heck has that to do with the present government???? There was ever since I came first to Thailand such a day. Always that catches somebody by surprise.

What's wrong with that ?

If you wonna get some stuff you get. Stop that whining better for you. Cheers Didi :o

What a shame, I don't fly to Thailand until the 26th so I'll miss all the "fun".

I'll just have to stay here in this communist state where I can drink whenever I want to.

Honestly I see no problem with them declaring Buddhist Lent day alcohol free if that's what they want but they should ultimately let the people decide whether they go along with it or not. They also should allow hotels, restaurants and bars dependant on the tourist trade to decide whether to refuse to serve alcohol or not according to the wishes of the owner. I also wouldn't mind but this decree will only ever be applied to the hotels, restaurants and bars frequented, in the main, by tourists and expats. All the little local mom'n'pop stores will carry on regardless and I bet all the police/army run gambling dens will continue to serve.

But no, this present administation, I'll not call them a government they don't deserve the title, just loves to tackle the little meaningless issues where they can puff their little chests out and look important. It's probably better that way though as they can't even handle the simpler stuff without provoking a bit of cross border sabre rattling.

So why do these mere humans use his name................

The lord Buddha was a human being and never sought to elevate himself above any living thing.

Precisely what he would make of this I'm not sure. He was against intoxicants but would he want his wishes pushed onto others? I personally think not.

Although tomorrow is Kao Pansa, our village as usual has to be different, and had it's candle procession this morning. The motley procession had some 50 old men and women proceeding it dancing around in the street and they were all MAU MAK MAK, many wielding bottles of lao kao

If the Thais' can't observe the customs why then should the foreigners be forced to do so?

Looks like I have to get out to the 'dodgy' pubs here again for 2 nights:(

NO YOU DONT.JUST STAY AT HOME OR CAN YOU NOT STAND THE THOUGHT OF NOT DRINKING FOR TWO DAYS?IF SO THEN I THINK YOU MIGHT BE AN ACHOHOLIC.NOTHING TO BE PROUD OFF.HEY I LIKE A BEER EVERY NOW AND THEN,BUT IF ITS NO ACHOHOL DAY ,WHY GO AGAINST THE WISHES OF THE GOOD PEOPLE.HAVE SOME BACKBONE AND TRY TO REFRAIN YOURSELF-YOU MIGHT ACTUALLY FEEL BETTER AFTER 2 DAYS..

NO YOU DONT.JUST STAY AT HOME OR CAN YOU NOT STAND THE THOUGHT OF NOT DRINKING FOR TWO DAYS?IF SO THEN I THINK YOU MIGHT BE AN ACHOHOLIC.NOTHING TO BE PROUD OFF.HEY I LIKE A BEER EVERY NOW AND THEN,BUT IF ITS NO ACHOHOL DAY ,WHY GO AGAINST THE WISHES OF THE GOOD PEOPLE.HAVE SOME BACKBONE AND TRY TO REFRAIN YOURSELF-YOU MIGHT ACTUALLY FEEL BETTER AFTER 2 DAYS..

Caps.png

How funny, as if Christians do not force other religions to close their offices on Christmas or on Sundays. This is a Buddhist country, and there is nothing wrong with not drinking booze for a few days. If not being able to drink alcohol is really a problem, seek immediate medical attention!

How funny, as if Christians do not force other religions to close their offices on Christmas or on Sundays. This is a Buddhist country, and there is nothing wrong with not drinking booze for a few days. If not being able to drink alcohol is really a problem, seek immediate medical attention!

Quite rightly put Wrecker.

My only problem with this thing is the confusion surrounding the announcement.

See my earlier post regarding the statements made in the Phuket Gazette.

On the one hand you have the police STATING that it's not illegal for bars to open.........but then go on to say that the Police will be trying to make sure that bars dont open.

That's a pretty confusing message i think you'll agree.

It's voluntary, but we may make sure you close.

Eh?

Of course, by all means, the Thai government should be applauded for encouraging two days of abstinence, however whilst Buddhist lent seems to have been foreseen by yearly diary printers and astrologers as a definite yearly occurance, the Thai Government once again shows their shortsightedness by only issuing the directive a few days before the event, and even then, the directive is ambiguous.

Is it voluntary or not?

And yes, that does reflect badly on the Government as a whole and is reasonably symptomatic of their view in other matters.

Club Lime in Patong for example, cancelled their planned Friday night party earlier in the week. However, since the statement from the Police saying that bars dont have to close, the party is now back on.

800 baht in and free bar all night.

Now there's abstinence for ya !

BS. No western country forces any private biz from being open on any day of the year.

Quote" Buddhist Lent Day marks the start of the three-month Buddhist Rains Retreat, usually between July and October. The request by the network for the Government to declare a No Alcohol Day is to promote the good traditional practice, in the same manner as the observance of “No Tobacco Day.” "

Just a thought - but why don't I hear about them banning sales of cancer sticks on certain days?

BS. No western country forces any private biz from being open on any day of the year.

Actually, in England, Governments most certainly DID force private business to close or attenuate their opening hours on certain Christian days such as Christmas, Easter and the day of rest - Sunday.

Pub opening hours immediately springs to mind. Sunday hours were different. Shop trading hours too were enforced by GOVERNMENT to be shorter on Sundays. It was called the Sunday Trading act or something

The advent of being able to apply for 24 hour drinking licences in the UK at least, is a reasonably recent idea, as is opening up on a sunday.

So B.S. back atcha TAWP !

Anyway, we shouldnt be comparing their rules with ours. These are their rules. Get used to it !

My only problem is the ambiguity of it all.

I actually feel sorry for tourists that have just arrived and get caught out by this enforced alcohol ban. It must be a bit of a sickener to have saved up and planned a holiday and then to arrive and find that their only alowed to drink warm milk and cocoa before bedtime.

It's no problem for Thais and most ex-pats as we know there will be a ban on alcohol sales so we buy in advance or as has been stated earlier we go to the mom n' pop shop and buy it there.

Actually, in England, Governments most certainly DID force private business to close or attenuate their opening hours on certain Christian days such as Christmas, Easter and the day of rest - Sunday.

Pub opening hours immediately springs to mind. Sunday hours were different. Shop trading hours too were enforced by GOVERNMENT to be shorter on Sundays. It was called the Sunday Trading act or something

The advent of being able to apply for 24 hour drinking licences in the UK at least, is a reasonably recent idea, as is opening up on a sunday.

So B.S. back atcha TAWP !

Anyway, we shouldnt be comparing their rules with ours. These are their rules. Get used to it !

My only problem is the ambiguity of it all.

In Austria shops opening times are regulated, now a bit relaxed but on Sunday you can't open a supermarket...no way.

Why the heck would I want to do that? I am on vacation at the moment. I want to enjoy myself with a few beers. The last time I checked, I am not Buddhist. Who exactly are these "good people"? I have a backbone. This is exactly why I don't involve myself with this kind of crap. In December, they did this with the elections. I happened to be in Chiang Mai where the police rolled up on us drinking beer. Little attention was given to the matter. Who cares? The Thais certainly don't. My wife certainly doesn't. Guess what ... she is Thai!

Why the heck would I want to do that? I am on vacation at the moment. I want to enjoy myself with a few beers. The last time I checked, I am not Buddhist. Who exactly are these "good people"? I have a backbone. This is exactly why I don't involve myself with this kind of crap. In December, they did this with the elections. I happened to be in Chiang Mai where the police rolled up on us drinking beer. Little attention was given to the matter. Who cares? The Thais certainly don't. My wife certainly doesn't. Guess what ... she is Thai!

My wife very hardcore Buddhist and not alcohol drinking is getting complete mad on such things (as well the idea to put Buddhism in the constitution) as in her understanding it is very unbuddhist to try to force people to something. They don't drink alcohol because they think it is right, not because some policeman with the gun is forcing him....