Visa Run To Vientianne

I am presently living in Ubon and have to do a visa run to Vientianne to get a new Tourist visa as I dont qualify for a Non-Imm O visa yet. Have spoken to a mate in Oz who lives in Khon Kaen who gave me some info. Can anyone give me some more information on the process once reaching Nong Khai.

Travelling:

From Nong Khai to the border should be 40Baht max, transfer to your choice of hotel in Vientiane not more than 150 Baht with aircon minibus. Lao visa available at the border on the Lao side for $30 + foto, anything else is a scam, namely the many agents in Nong Khai.

Embassy:

Located outside the main tourist areas, short ride, 200 Baht max will contract a trike to take you there, wait and take you back, much less for negotiating two different rides.

Application forms can be obtained at the security window outside, no need to buy from the touts. Fees to be paid in Baht only. You'll have to submit the application in person during the morning, and collect the next day.

Now the tricky bit. If you already stayed in Thailand on a series of back-to-back Tourist visas, it is unlikely you'll get another one in Vientiane, they have become very strict. To increase your chances, bring all documentation available to prove you have sufficient funds coming from abroad and are not involved in any monkeybusiness inThailand. Preferably bank statement and book from a Thai bank, credit cards and withdrawal receipts, recent income tax returns from your home country. I was asked for a statement from my embassy confirming my tax status and explaining my motives for staying in Thailand, for future requests for any type of visa from me.

Thanks for the info. When you say a series of back to back tourist visa's, this will be my first go at getting a new visa should I expect trouble from Vientianne. Hopefully I will be taking the lady back to Oz before the end of the year and get married then I can get a married visa back in Canberra or Sydney.

Be aware - you will have great difficulty entering Laos between 22 and 30 November - they are basically closing their border during the ASEAN summit conference, unless you arerelated to that conference. They are trying to keep dissidents and other troublemakers out.

Good luck!

Steve

Indo-Siam

Be aware - you will have great difficulty entering Laos between 22 and 30 November - they are basically closing their border during the ASEAN summit conference, unless you arerelated to that conference.  They are trying to keep dissidents and other troublemakers out. 

Good luck!

Steve

Indo-Siam

I wonder if Laos immigration would just stamp you in and out though.. (there and then I mean), if you have a non imm or just want to go back to Thailand on a tourist visa that you already have, you've got no real need to actually enter Laos (other than officially)

totster :o