Certificate Of Residence

I am going to get a Thai Driver's License and I was told that I need a certificate of residency from an embassy. I am a US citizen and I assume that I can get this certificate from the US embassy. What documents do I need to prove that I am a resident? Will I just sign an affidavit and they give me a form? Has anyone gotten this from the US Embassy?

You can get a certificate of residence from the US embassy, based on an affidavit, and it will cost you about 1200THB (what I paid a coyple years ago). You can also get a certificate from the nearest police station. Be sure to bring the phone number of the apartment manager, or juristic person (if you're living in a condo).

I just did this last month. I brought a copy of my lease but it wasn't even necessary. You just need to swear you live in Thailand. you also need a doctor's certificate certifying your health. A Thai friend took me to get one but I wasn't paying attention where it is.

Immigration used to do this for free, but there was some move to charge a fee.

I did have to pay, I think it was 1200 Baht.

I do not believe you paid 1,200 baht to Immigration. Your Embassy perhaps?

I asked for and received one on the 16th of July08 from immigration as I have in the past and still there was no charge.

Good job Chief..

I can only wish.

CM immigration no longer offers...a trip to the US Consulate is order of the day.

30 bucks, raise your right hand and swear after me that everything is true ...

Stamp, stamp..out the door ya go.

<br />I asked for and received one on the 16th of July08 from immigration as I have in the past and still there was no charge.<br />

in samui they charge 500 bath, no matter if you bring pictures or not.

they issue two copies and share the money the end of the day :o

<br />I asked for and received one on the 16th of July08 from immigration as I have in the past and still there was no charge.<br />

in samui they charge 500 bath, no matter if you bring pictures or not.

they issue two copies and share the money the end of the day :o

Samui must have the richest officers in the country.

(Free in Korat)

I asked for and received one on the 16th of July08 from immigration as I have in the past and still there was no charge.

Good job Chief..

I can only wish.

CM immigration no longer offers...a trip to the US Consulate is order of the day.

30 bucks, raise your right hand and swear after me that everything is true ...

Stamp, stamp..out the door ya go.

As an option can always try your local amphur, I did a few years back, got a letter from them in pretty short order for FREE.

Mac

Someone told me the other day that they could not regster their motorcycle in Chiang Mai using their work permit in leu of the letter of residence as used to be the case. The transport office insisted on the letter of residence.

I wonder what's up here in Chiang Mai?

Someone told me the other day that they could not regster their motorcycle in Chiang Mai using their work permit in leu of the letter of residence as used to be the case. The transport office insisted on the letter of residence.

Thats going to be a problem for a farang to register any vehicle if it is true.

Immigration in CM stopped issueing those letters a few months ago,I inquired again 2 weeks ago,they indicated they may do again in the future but could not say when.

This puts me in a very sticky position as I purchased a motorcycle in Pattaya recently,expecting to do the transfer there.

No such luck,the transport department require a certificate of residence..yep no problem,front up to Pattaya Immi but they can not issue a Residence Certificate as I was not a Chon Buri resident..oh and I also showed them the stat. dec. declaring my address in Thailand issued by the Aus embassy in Bkk the day before.Ok back to the transport dept.,no way will they accept that document,even after explaining to them that rego. office in CM will ONLY accept the stat dec from embassy.

Tea money(1,000) was gratiously accepted at the rego office pattaya but to no avail.

What are my options...oh and i am very reluctant to put the bike in my G/Fs name,but at the moment it may be my only choice.

According to my friend who could not register the bike using their work permit as proof of address the transport office in Chiang Mai was ONLY accepting the embassy letter. However, I don't really know if this is absolute policy or what.....

..I got my thai licence in samui..all i needed was PROOF of address + doctors cert [120 baht] then you get a licence for 12 months...go back a year later to get a 5yr one...also take a international licence with you...or you have to take a driving test [in your own car]..with lessons in a classroom and test this takes all day...but with a international licence no test is needed....the whole process for me [with inter lic] took abt 2 hrs...hope this helps

Immigration used to do this for free, but there was some move to charge a fee.

I did have to pay, I think it was 1200 Baht.

I do not believe you paid 1,200 baht to Immigration. Your Embassy perhaps?

Pattaya Immigration [@ Jomtien] charge 200 Baht, takes 24 hours -- no pompem & friendly.

I just did this last month. I brought a copy of my lease but it wasn't even necessary. You just need to swear you live in Thailand. you also need a doctor's certificate certifying your health. A Thai friend took me to get one but I wasn't paying attention where it is.

in which city ?

yours seems to be a great option as I am good in swearing :o

Edited by siam2007

I got one free from Kap Cheung Immigration Office only last month!!

Congrats Dave,but is this anything to do with my post above?? (#2095146)

I am on here to recieve information,help other people.....

But never to solicit useless information

Thanks for your input...zilch

Thats going to be a problem for a farang to register any vehicle if it is true.

Immigration in CM stopped issueing those letters a few months ago,I inquired again 2 weeks ago,they indicated they may do again in the future but could not say when.

This puts me in a very sticky position as I purchased a motorcycle in Pattaya recently,expecting to do the transfer there.

No such luck,the transport department require a certificate of residence..yep no problem,front up to Pattaya Immi but they can not issue a Residence Certificate as I was not a Chon Buri resident..oh and I also showed them the stat. dec. declaring my address in Thailand issued by the Aus embassy in Bkk the day before.Ok back to the transport dept.,no way will they accept that document,even after explaining to them that rego. office in CM will ONLY accept the stat dec from embassy.

Tea money(1,000) was gratiously accepted at the rego office pattaya but to no avail.

What are my options...oh and i am very reluctant to put the bike in my G/Fs name,but at the moment it may be my only choice.

You could always try and get a Yellow Tabbien Baan Book. Same as the Blue one for Thais but yellow for foreigners. That will give proof of residency.

This may help.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Yellow-Tabie...hn-t156485.html

• 1 year later...

In Feb 2009 I got a letter from Suan Phlu for 100 Baht confirming where I lived and I used it in my application for my first Thai driving license- the one year temporary one. It worked. dam_n sight cheaper than the British Embassy, though I had to wait a fortnight for it to be sent to me by post.

Then they moved my immigration office to the boondocks in Nonthaburi. Now I'm building up to apply for my next driving license, the full five year one. Today I visited immigration to do my 90 day reporting and showed them the residence letter I got last year and asked for a new one.

They don't do these any more. Instead I was given an "Application Form for Residence Certificate in Thailand" with boxes to tick saying why I want it: "Driving License", "Buy a Vehicle, "Transfer a Vehicle", "Other".

In addition I was given another form for my wife to fill in, called "Notification Form for House Master, Owner or Possessor of the Residence Where Alien has Stayed" (TM30). I am living in her house so this form has meaning. What is more I seem to remember another poster saying they got into trouble because their wife had not notified the authorities he was living with her (even though presumably they would have a record through the 90 day reporting). In fact it says that notification must take place within 24 hours of arrival. I arrived two years ago.

I will also need to supply a complete passport photocopy with these forms. I have to apply in person. I was not told how much the residence certificate would cost (I'm sure whatever amount will still be cheaper than the embassy).

So now it's a toss up between another long but cheap trek to the boondocks or a faster more expensive trip to the embassy. Any thoughts?

So now it's a toss up between another long but cheap trek to the boondocks or a faster more expensive trip to the embassy. Any thoughts?

I had the same thing to think about and decided the easiest way out...so I went to the American embassy. All told about an hour from my house and back on the Skytrain and at the embassy. Very quick, I'd rather pay a little and have the least amount of hassle.

TM30 seems to be a normal response to a request for residence certificate at some locations.

What worries me about the TM30 option is whether my wife will get into trouble for not having registered me within 24 hours of my first entering her house. I have been with her and doing 90 day reporting since October 2007.

I take it then that the TM30 is just a formality en route to getting a certificate of residence en route to getting a driving license.

If so would you advise just doing it and "getting it out of the way" rather than going to the embassy for a letter?