Xbox From States, No Prob In Thailand?

phormio

I'm moving to BKK in a little while and have an Xbox from the states. The TV system in the States is PAL and the one in Thailand is NTSC - I was wondering if my XBOX purchased in the US, unmodified, with US purchased games will have any trouble working with the TVs in Thailand?

If I want to play DVDs bought in Thailand(legals or illegals), will I be able to play them on my US purchased XBOX?

I've seen mention of mod chips - do these defeat the DVD/GAME regionalization codes?

Thanks for any help.

:o

First - Correct what you said.

The TV system in the States is NTSC - voltage is 110v, 60Hz

The TV system in Thailand is PAL - voltage is 220v, 50Hz

So long as you're feeding into either an SVideo / Component / Composite signal, you might be OK if it's a fairly modern TV (last 5 years or so). I know a lot of PAL TVs can accept NTSC signals. (but some can't - and there's no easy way of telling other than trying it out).

But you'll also need a step-down transformer (or a new power supply unit) if you don't want to blow the Xbox when you plug it in...

DVD copies are generally region-free, so shouldn't be an issue. As far as mod chips go, afraid I don't know what the Xbox mod chips do - I have a PS2.

So long as you're feeding into either an SVideo / Component / Composite signal, you might be OK if it's a fairly modern TV (last 5 years or so). I know a lot of PAL TVs can accept NTSC signals. (but some can't - and there's no easy way of telling other than trying it out).

But you'll also need a step-down transformer (or a new power supply unit) if you don't want to blow the Xbox when you plug it in...

DVD copies are generally region-free, so shouldn't be an issue. As far as mod chips go, afraid I don't know what the Xbox mod chips do - I have a PS2.

Thanks - so there's somewhere in BKK I can get them to replace the Power Supply in my XBOX so I don't have to worry about an addtional external transformer? Though the XBOX doesn't pull much juice so a transformer would be low power and not expensive.

Thanks - so there's somewhere in BKK I can get them to replace the Power Supply in my XBOX so I don't have to worry about an addtional external transformer? Though the XBOX doesn't pull much juice so a transformer would be low power and not expensive.

transformer should be easy to find. The games you buy in Bangkok will not work, but if you have any problem on that let me know. I just moved my modchip company from Europe to Thailand, so I am for sure a good source for informations on that.

h90

Went to a local shop and they gave me a transformer that plugs directly into the X Box. Works real sweet. Unless you mod it also, you will have trouble buying games from here as the closest X Box market is Singapore and even there you might find it hard to buy games do you to regional restrictions. As for the TV, many TV's here in Thailand are multi-system so just get one - my biggest problem here was the power adapter. After that was resolved it was the game issue. If you mod it, you might not be able to play X Box Live games if you are into it like I am.

Good Luck

Went to a local shop and they gave me a transformer that plugs directly into the X Box.  Works real sweet.  Unless you mod it also, you will have trouble buying games from here as the closest X Box market is Singapore and even there you might find it hard to buy games do you to regional restrictions.  As for the TV, many TV's here in Thailand are multi-system so just get one - my biggest problem here was the power adapter.  After that was resolved it was the game issue.  If you mod it, you might not be able to play X Box Live games if you are into it like I am. 

Good Luck

About your XBox Live concerns. If you focus on that, don't get a chip installed from a local Thailand shop. Get one from Europe or Canada. Most of them can be shut down and your harddisc can be locked again and you can play at least your Originals online.

I made that a few times in Thailand, not a big problem at all.

h90