Whats Your Fav Franchised Food Restaurant

RamdomChances

I don't like franchised places as a rule, but if I had to chose one I'd probably have to put MK at the top of the list. Their roasted duck is very tasty!

My wife likes S&P - I don't know if they are a Thai based chain or if their American or what?

On rare occasions I get a junk food craving I'll go to Pizza Hut or my wife will cook a couple of cheeseburgers and french fries in the wok!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a semi-decent Sandwich, I think Au Bon Pain is probably the best option. Yes, the other place, the one that sells the foot-longs, sadly lacking something.

Au Bon Pain has excellent roast beef and excellent french bread, along with some good pastries. Subway sucks big time, in my opinion. Crappy bread, mostly.

i like mcdonalds for the fries ,worlds best fries. the rest of the stuff they sell is not for me , tried a subway once but wasn't impressed at all, the chicken looked like cheese and the cheese looked like cabbage and the bread was not too fresh either. christ... a foot long sandwich....its just overkill. and <deleted>.

burger king, kentucky and au bon pain dont hit the spot either . starbucks etc. likewise , but starbucks do have good cakes sometimes though.

with such a big choice of decent thai food everywhere it seems crazy to pay inflated prices for unatural processed junk.

i like those japanese (franchises ?) places, fuji and the ramen noodle restaurants .

they're probably just as chemically enhanced as the american crap but the food just seems to be more tasty and wholesome.

my favourite fast food has to be a som tam eaten with a big chunk of french bread from yamakuzi? but that needs a little organizing beforehand.

when i need a stomachful of decent falang food i'll go to that irish pub in washington square , the dubliner i think its called, and have one of their meals , dont need to eat for a week after. (and usually dont sh1t for a week either.)

MK just doesn't do anything for me, boiled food, pretty bland imo.

Daidomon is much better, two choices boil or grill (or both, so I guess three), I think the bacon there is spot on.

KFC - if I haven't eaten farang food for a few months then OK but otherwise no, the chicken is shit.

MD's Big Mac - nice, Quarter Pounder - nice, fillet er fish - big fish finger on a bun.

Anyone heard of Moo gatar (spelling), not sure what it means but thats what my friends and g/f call it (Moo=pig, I know but not sure about gatar) anyway its pretty cheap and its ok, usually have them outdoors though because of the heat. The places have tables with holes in, they put a bucket of flaming charcoal in the hole and a metal cooking pot on the top. Down in Had Yai they had a place 80 baht all you can eat, there is a large selection of meat, fish, veggies etc, the beer there is cheap aswell unlike MK or Fuji, Daidomon, bargain!

Chester Grill, went one time, saw what looked like an appetizing fish dish on the menu board, ordered it and got a plate of dried fish (not sure what type) with some tomato sauce on the side, needless to say that will be my last visit there.

The best fast food is surely the BK whopper or a double whopper, fantastic.

I used to like KFC, only burgers, a lot when in Thailand (we don't get that here).

Loved Starbucks, Swensen (don't get those either). :D

I always felt quite cheated whren going to those places: a sign that I had realle blended in with the Thai :o OR I just lived up country big time!! :D

My favourite sandwich place is opposite Wat Po. I don't know what there called but the Club is great. :D

MK has good sauce, and it can be hotted up more if you ask for extra green chillies and diced garlic.

The duck is excellent.

MK is a good girlfriend place. Not too expensive for two people, and fun.

Even cheaper is a 69 baht barbecue place. All you can eat for 69 baht. Grill your own. Don't know if it's standard in all places, but one place I went to recently had a deal that you pay 96 baht if you take some stuff and then end up not using it. Gotta shower up and and do the laundry after I visited that place, though. That smoke odor permeates.

MK just doesn't do anything for me, boiled food, pretty bland imo.

Daidomon is much better, two choices boil or grill (or both, so I guess three), I think the bacon there is spot on.

KFC - if I haven't eaten farang food for a few months then OK but otherwise no, the chicken is shit.

MD's Big Mac - nice, Quarter Pounder - nice, fillet er fish - big fish finger on a bun.

Anyone heard of Moo gatar (spelling), not sure what it means but thats what my friends and g/f call it (Moo=pig, I know but not sure about gatar) anyway its pretty cheap and its ok, usually have them outdoors though because of the heat. The places have tables with holes in, they put a bucket of flaming charcoal in the hole and a metal cooking pot on the top. Down in Had Yai they had a place 80 baht all you can eat, there is a large selection of meat, fish, veggies etc, the beer there is cheap aswell unlike MK or Fuji, Daidomon, bargain!

Chester Grill, went one time, saw what looked like an appetizing fish dish on the menu board, ordered it and got a plate of dried fish (not sure what type) with some tomato sauce on the side, needless to say that will be my last visit there.

The best fast food is surely the BK whopper or a double whopper, fantastic.

Moo gatar (i dont know how to spell it either :o ) Is great if you are with a few friends having a drink, they are everywhere and really cheap, went down the local one before when we had finnished the house, with all the builders and some friends, 12 of us, loads of food bottle of whisky and beers, bill came to less than 1000 bhat, cant fault that.

I used to think the same about MK just boiled food, but their roast duck is really nice and i've even got a teste for the boiled stuff now.

I agree that Thai fast food from a western franchise is substantially different from food from the same restaurant in the west. I further agree that KFC chicken is very different from western KFC chicken; but wonder if the results of a "superior" western chicken are due to all those steroids and antibiotics we pump into our livestock in USA. If so, I dont think I will object as much for the stringy chicken

in Thai KFC's.

I like all the fast food chains but don't eat at them too often. As my ol' lady used to say "Sod the doctors, eat whatever you want....but just eat it in moderation". :D

Used to think highly of the Chicken Treat places. Nice roast chicken, decent sized chips, lovely mashed potato (until they changed the recipe and made it taste creamy).

Whatever happened to Chicken Treat?  :o

Starbucks! Start with their Carmel Frappaccino with whipped cream and nutmeg sprinkled on top. There is nothing better!

Aside from that sugary bread thing dipped in yogert from 7-11 for breakfast, I eat mostly thai food, but need a KFC or pizza to reset my tastebuds once a week, or more.

Don't like McD's or BK here... the bread never seems as fresh.

cv

MK - love the chinese duck and pork, and of course the suki. Pizza Hut is better than pizza company because the crust is nicer. Also, Burger King is better than Mcdonalds because the whopper tastes better than the Big Mac, but Big mac is better value - use to eat a lot when i was backpacking. Also, love KFC - i use to eat a whole 8 piece bargain bucket in the U.K on my own, and i'm talking the original bargain bucket with two huge bag of fries, baked beans and 8 bread rolls. But Thai KFC is not as good, but is still nice.

for all youse that live in the Smoke and rubbish fast food just think of the old adage 'you don't miss your water 'till your well runs dry'. In Suphan we ain't got no McDonalds, Pizza Hut, et all. In Tesco's you gots to make make do with the rubbish hot dogs they sell down stairs at the Daity Queen counter.

First thing I do when coming to BKK is to make for the nearest burger or pizza place...like a dying man in search of water.

Authentic thai food is for shit...

for all youse that live in the Smoke and rubbish fast food just think of the old adage 'you don't miss your water 'till your well runs dry'. In Suphan we ain't got no McDonalds, Pizza Hut, et all. In Tesco's you gots to make make do with the rubbish hot dogs they sell down stairs at the Daity Queen counter.

First thing I do when coming to BKK is to make for the nearest burger or pizza place...like a dying man in search of water.

Authentic thai food is for shit...

Well you still can get some recepy's from me tutsi :o for Farang Food in Condo's

RC...they got a KFC at the tescos in amphur Suphan but the food is inedible. Fried chicken is about the easiest food to prepare but somehow they have managed to fukc it up...

Yea never really could see the point of KFC here cos you can get goodfried or BBQ chicken at any market and a lot cheaper. Nakorn is pretty good now, Mc D, Pizza Company makes a nice change when I'm in town.

Me well I quite like MK did'nt like it at first but the wife loves it. Its sort of grown on me, the roast duck is great and those green noddles to go with it, I even dont mind the suki now.

Cant stand KFC I dont know why anyone would pay that much for chicken here when you can just buy it off the side of the road.

The Pizza Company I think is better than Pizza hut and I have to admit I do like a Mc Donalds now and again.

What about you?

It's got to be 'The Farang Connection'

For me the best fast food is:-

Sandwiches - O'Briens - Urban Kitchen, Hyatt Erewan for British/Irish style sandwiches rather than the more US oriented fare on offer at Subway

Thai - S&P Patio

Sushi - Fuji, never been a fan of Oishi or Zen for some reason, Oishi Grand is nice but more like a pigathon than fast food

Pizza - Pizza Company, better Pizza here than in UK IMHO, if only there was a Dominos or Pizza Express

Starbucks - since I just hate Thai coffee and am partial to a cake or 2 :o

I try and avoid the burger emporia if possible, McD's is especilly poor here, I really must try a BK one day but it's not the most important thing on my to do list.

Places I would like to see here: -

Nando's Piri Piri - I suspect this could be popular with local tastes and operates as a cheap fast food outlet in ZA where it originated

Harry Ramsden's or other good quality fish and chip shop

The aforementioned Dominos or Pizza Express

Me well I quite like MK did'nt like it at first but the wife loves it. Its sort of grown on me, the roast duck is great and those green noddles to go with it, I even dont mind the suki now.

Cant stand KFC I dont know why anyone would pay that much for chicken here when you can just buy it off the side of the road.

The Pizza Company I think is better than Pizza hut and I have to admit I do like a Mc Donalds now and again.

What about you?

It's got to be 'The Farang Connection'

If I'm ever down that way I'll be sure to pop in and give it a try :o

I agree that Thai fast food from a western franchise is substantially different from food from the same restaurant in the west.  I further agree that KFC chicken is very different from western KFC chicken; but wonder if the results of  a "superior" western chicken are due to all those steroids and antibiotics we pump into our livestock in USA.  If so, I dont think I will object as much for the stringy chicken

in Thai KFC's.

There is no excuse of having ropey chicken other than greed. Countless times I have stopped and purchased whole cooked chickens on the spit and they have without exception always been superb meat.

Tesco supermarket in the UK imports most of its foreign sourced chicken from Thailand (or at least had done in the past), and the british buyer will not accept the kind of crap chicken that KFC dish up in Thailand.

Best sandwich I have ever eaten has been at little french cafe outside Woodlands Hotel on Naklua Road in Pattaya. Its owned by the hotel but fronts the street and they serve excellent sandwiches using fresh french baguettes and real ingrediants - no processed chicken and really good mozarela cheese in the mozarela and tomato sandwich.

I also like Au Bon Pain - smoked salmon and cream cheese bagels are good as are the excllent value bacon and egg bagels with fresh coffee served before 10.30am for about 69baht.

I always wonder Burger King is so expensive compared to McD here whereas in most countries they compete head to head on price.

I have gone off Subway, bread always seem 'damp' and I feel its too much of a rip off for what it is.

Edited by Digger

I agree that Thai fast food from a western franchise is substantially different from food from the same restaurant in the west.  I further agree that KFC chicken is very different from western KFC chicken; but wonder if the results of  a "superior" western chicken are due to all those steroids and antibiotics we pump into our livestock in USA.  If so, I dont think I will object as much for the stringy chicken

in Thai KFC's.

There is no excuse of having ropey chicken other than greed. Countless times I have stopped and purchased whole cooked chickens on the spit and they have without exception always been superb meat.

Tesco supermarket in the UK imports most of its foreign sourced chicken from Thailand (or at least had done in the past), and the british buyer will not accept the kind of crap chicken that KFC dish up in Thailand.

I tend to disagree there. Most of the chickens out our way taste and look as if they put up a ###### good fight to get away. I've never seen such a scrawny bunch of individuals. Certainly gives running a good name to get your weight off. I did have an exceptional nice one though from a stall in Kampang Phet.

• 6 years later...

Not to impressed with any of the 'fast food' outlets ...

I usually go for lunch at either the Marriot hotel or the Sheraton .... buffet lunch is always tasty !!

thumbsup.gif

but...the concept of a lunch buffet in a grand hotel is inimical to the idea of a fast food burger...I'd head for the salad bar and drown in a sea of shredded fresh vegetables...

I like the tom yum noodle soup in No. 8 Noodles.

Subway is the only chain I frequent regularly out of choice, largely for their exceptionally consistent quality; comparable to McDonalds, but with a much more tricky, life-limited product.

I quite like Secret Recipe, but they are not really in the same league when it comes to fastness. Though I suppose No. 8 is less fast than Subway or MacD.

SC

Many (except for the usual thai food, of course)!

Burger King wins it 9 out of 10 times over McD...except for the fries!

Subway is nice, Au Bon Pain is better!

KFC from time to time.

MK only to please my lady!

Chesters hardly ever (i can not make out the sense of it...thai food and burgers???)

Oishi for the buffet.

An absolute NO GO is St. Claus (or whatever the name is) at MBK. Worst burgers EVAH!!!

Almost forgot: Pizza Company only when my Thai friends insist on it! It doesn't deserve the "pizza" in the name!

Edited by DocN